Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Farecoal
Oct 15, 2011

There he go
Few things kill my interest in a game faster than "tokens" or "cards"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

I hate to be the bearer of bad news but every interactable object in a mapgame is a token

Farecoal
Oct 15, 2011

There he go

Enjoy
Apr 18, 2009

Farecoal posted:

Few things kill my interest in a game faster than "tokens" or "cards"

I don't think it really has tokens/cards. I think the closest is the agents ("councillors") who have different abilities ("missions") based on their starting profession? But their abilities overlap, some character traits also give (or limit) abilities, and you can give them new abilities by buying them organisations, kind of like outfitting a roleplaying character with items.

Like Caitlin here started as a Diplomat, but I gave her a bunch of military and intelligence organisations and now she's my best expert at assaulting alien assets

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

VostokProgram posted:

I hate to be the bearer of bad news but every interactable object in a mapgame is a token

Wow, way to wreck my morning with a single sentence!

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
next they'll tell us Paradox games are turn-based

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

Grevlek posted:

I really want to like TI but for all it's grand war in space xcom adjacent fluff it's 25 hours of token placement before you get your first usable space ship

Yeah it’s not really a grand war in space game, that’s a side game that buys time for the political/scientific side

Grevlek
Jan 11, 2004
If you like it enjoy, but I was absolutely bamboozled by Terra Invicta. I'm the target demo for it and it did not land at all despite me dumping like 100 hours into it.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep
Terra Invicta is definitely on my radar but I’m waiting for it to be proper finished and released

Also get on a sale cause it’s pretty expensive right now

ilitarist
Apr 26, 2016

illiterate and militarist

Grevlek posted:

If you like it enjoy, but I was absolutely bamboozled by Terra Invicta. I'm the target demo for it and it did not land at all despite me dumping like 100 hours into it.

This is a problem with a game like this, right? It can click on hour 100 or you can play for weeks to realize that the game's AI is disfunctional, the lack of balance means you can easily cheese and so on. It's dangerous to go such games because of mechanics, only do those if the concept and aesthetics fascinate you so that you will have at least some good time.

Grevlek
Jan 11, 2004
agreed, the setting and promise kept me around a lot longer than a turn based worker placement game would have

You know how in Actraiser, they made a side scrolling platformer that wasn't as good as Castlevania, they made a top down city builder that wasn't as good as SimCity, and despite these having no significant overlap, the game is better for it?

yeah that aint the case with Terra Invicta.

maybe i will try it in the future when they have an option to have various starts

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!

ilitarist posted:

This is a problem with a game like this, right? It can click on hour 100 or you can play for weeks to realize that the game's AI is disfunctional, the lack of balance means you can easily cheese and so on. It's dangerous to go such games because of mechanics, only do those if the concept and aesthetics fascinate you so that you will have at least some good time.

I've had Shadow Empire on my radar for ages but I also have this vague feeling that I will get really pissed off at some janky mechanic and end up hating it

Grevlek
Jan 11, 2004

RabidWeasel posted:

I've had Shadow Empire on my radar for ages but I also have this vague feeling that I will get really pissed off at some janky mechanic and end up hating it

as much as i've complained about TI, Shadow Empire is extremely my jam. my understanding is that if you are hard core into grognard style hex war games it is a little too janky, but if you are a Civ/4x player it can add a level of chonk you may enjoy

Randallteal
May 7, 2006

The tears of time
I'm interested in Terra Invicta but TBH it would be more interesting to me if it didn't have aliens, lol. I want a good modern geopolitical sim so bad. The current offerings I'm aware of like Democracy 4 are just way too shallow and narrow in scope. For a long time I've also wanted a 4X / space grand strategy game that didn't start with a unified Earth and instead had different powers holding land on Earth while expanding into space. TI is almost exactly what I want but the alien invasion angle and fake illuminati-ish factions put me off a little.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Randallteal posted:

I'm interested in Terra Invicta but TBH it would be more interesting to me if it didn't have aliens, lol. I want a good modern geopolitical sim so bad. The current offerings I'm aware of like Democracy 4 are just way too shallow and narrow in scope. For a long time I've also wanted a 4X / space grand strategy game that didn't start with a unified Earth and instead had different powers holding land on Earth while expanding into space. TI is almost exactly what I want but the alien invasion angle and fake illuminati-ish factions put me off a little.

Makes me wonder how receptive the game would be to modding out a few factions and the aliens.

More or less turn it into an Expanse prequel game, really.

Enjoy
Apr 18, 2009
The aliens give the game some real difficulty, they're like the Mongol/Hun/Chaos invasion in Total War games. The AI isn't going to beat the player otherwise.

But an expanse mod would be cool!

Groke
Jul 27, 2007
New Adventures In Mom Strength

Grevlek posted:

as much as i've complained about TI, Shadow Empire is extremely my jam. my understanding is that if you are hard core into grognard style hex war games it is a little too janky, but if you are a Civ/4x player it can add a level of chonk you may enjoy

I'm an old old map gamer (like, my origin story involves the Commodore 64 and Amiga, when I first came across Civ I was like "oh cool, it's like Empire except with tech levels") and I've been sniffing at Shadow Empire for a little while now. Just mildly hesitant to actually dive in, I can tell there's a learning curve but I am no stranger to those.

Anno
May 10, 2017

I'm going to drown! For no reason at all!

Another comes for Civ’s throne

https://twitter.com/pdxinteractive/status/1702746938628612564?s=46&t=IW0MSOWK0Lh4VsB3wVLoOA

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!

How do I encourage the growth of mammoth hunter pops??

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Well it would hard to be worse than humankind. Of the recent Civlikes only Old World is actually good though and history doesn't show making a good Civ style game to be easy.

Walh Hara
May 11, 2012

Gaius Marius posted:

Well it would hard to be worse than humankind.

For whatever it's worth, I think Humankind has improved a lot with the recent updates.

If you really disliked it before and think the culture switching concept is dumb then obviously you'll still dislike it. But if your issue was that it was unbalanced at launch and you could snowball one (aspect of the) system while ignoring others, then that really has improved a lot.

Anno
May 10, 2017

I didn’t mind the culture switching so much in Humankind but I feel like they really needed something else to hold on to in terms of flavor/character. Prior to HK I didn’t think that’d be nearly as much of a problem as it turned out to be.

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.
poo poo, call me hyped. Is there an indication it's actually a civ-like though, rather than just starting in the same era of humanity?

Obviously wouldn't work with your standard Paradox game style, but I could totally see something vaguely more approximating Stellaris working out.

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

the culture switching is good, but yeah the game is kinda cold and flavorless.

Anno
May 10, 2017

Koramei posted:

poo poo, call me hyped. Is there an indication it's actually a civ-like though, rather than just starting in the same era of humanity?

Obviously wouldn't work with your standard Paradox game style, but I could totally see something vaguely more approximating Stellaris working out.

No confirmation, but the various PDS games (plus AoW4 hilariously) lined up to give teases in chronological order plus the still screen on the YouTube premier sure looks like we'll be going through 7 eras of history, and I'd bet a decent amount that the rightmost blur is a rocket launching.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

I feel like if you really want to do a game about prehistoric hunter/gatherer nomadic humanity, you can't really take that game all the way into the present day or else the whole hunter/gatherer nomadic aspect isn't going to be anything special. It's just such a long period of time that so much of the game has to not be the nomadic part. If Paradox wants to really focus on the prehistoric, that'll be interesting, but god knows how good it'll be.

Also interesting that the graphic has all of paradox's games arrayed in a little timeline, and they're acting like nothing ever came before Crusader Kings.

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.
Oh neat. Do we know if it's a PDS game or just the publisher?

I guess I see civ-like as eras of history plus hex-based and turn based, though. I feel like you could approach the same "path through history" concept with a more freeform map and real time. Either way should be interesting though.

Anno
May 10, 2017

Koramei posted:

Oh neat. Do we know if it's a PDS game or just the publisher?

I guess I see civ-like as eras of history plus hex-based and turn based, though. I feel like you could approach the same "path through history" concept with a more freeform map and real time. Either way should be interesting though.

No idea. If I had to guess I'd say it's a published game since Triumph is really their only owned studio that's shipped games like this recently, but who knows! I'd love it to be a full on PDS/Clausewitz real time thing. Would be a great spin on the formula I think. Or maybe it'll be a new PDS foray into turn-based. Both would be cool.

Randallteal
May 7, 2006

The tears of time

Koramei posted:

A game where you start as a group of extended families in east Africa and migrate around while picking up cultural traits and managing resources could be cool. Maybe a challenge mode where you get stuck in Europe during the last ice age and have to wait it out?

V for Vegas
Sep 1, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER

SlothfulCobra posted:

Also interesting that the graphic has all of paradox's games arrayed in a little timeline, and they're acting like nothing ever came before Crusader Kings.

Vae Victus.

Red Bones
Aug 9, 2012

"I think he's a bad enough person to stay ghost through his sheer love of child-killing."

Finally, Europa Universalis 5: Indo-Europeana Universalis. With in-game chariot designer.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

No interest in a civlike. IMO Paradox games have made that genre obsolete for someone like me, who is primarily interested in the genre for the historical and cultural flavor. Now, if Paradox wanted to make a Total War competitor...

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

A real time with pause Civ-like could be fun, it's such a better system than turns. :v:

Red Bones posted:

Finally, Europa Universalis 5: Indo-Europeana Universalis. With in-game chariot designer.
More scythe blades!

ilitarist
Apr 26, 2016

illiterate and militarist
I think Humankind is a really good game - I had more fun with it than with any Civ after 4. As a game it functions better than any other Amplitude game because it has functioning AI, but true enough, it feels a little barren and the ways they try to add character (events, narrator, AI archetypes) don't really work. Old World is even better but of course it doesn't have the same scope.

I'm not sure how larger scope PDX game would work. The beauty of their systems is that I can look at Ireland on February 12, 1875 and see exactly how many engineers work in paper meals there, or that lord of Perm in 1201 is an honest midget sadist who likes gardening. Hard to imagine this level of detail on a bigger scale and abstract implementation of Stellaris leaves me cold. Stellaris covering the whole galaxy makes factions not well defined, Prussia and Russia in EU4 differ much more than hivemind plants and liberal pious stone people in Stellaris.

Red Bones
Aug 9, 2012

"I think he's a bad enough person to stay ghost through his sheer love of child-killing."

I also appreciate the narrower scope of Paradox games in how the era determines the nature of the gameplay. Seeing them do a take on Civ is a bit uninteresting just because I already know what Civ gameplay is. I'd be a lot more interested in seeing them try to tackle something micro-scale a la Rimworld or Simcity, managing a settlement over a period of time, or see what they do with just a bronze age or a stone age into bronze age period simulation.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
We have nearly zero info about the new game, except that it might be set (start?) in an age even before Imperator Crusader Kings, the series set second furthest back in time. The text may be a reference to a civ-style advancing through all ages, or it might simply tell you that the game starts in the neolithic age or something. And even then, you do advance through the ages in CK, EU or Victoria, even if those age don't encompass the entire human history. So maybe in the new game, you start with stone tools, and end with bronze weapons. That would fit other Paradox games, but wouldn't be a civ clone.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

Torrannor posted:

We have nearly zero info about the new game, except that it might be set (start?) in an age even before Imperator Crusader Kings, the series set second furthest back in time. The text may be a reference to a civ-style advancing through all ages, or it might simply tell you that the game starts in the neolithic age or something. And even then, you do advance through the ages in CK, EU or Victoria, even if those age don't encompass the entire human history. So maybe in the new game, you start with stone tools, and end with bronze weapons. That would fit other Paradox games, but wouldn't be a civ clone.

That’s pretty much Oldworld

Anno
May 10, 2017

Yeah obviously we don’t know anything for sure yet. But with what we have my money would be on it being a full through-the-eras kind of game that ends in the near future. And it could still “just” be a publishing deal with another team and not a standard PDS game which would make it marginally less interesting imo

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

My god, it's full of cat!

I remember having fun with the Civilisation Universalis mod for EU3 back in the day. I doubt this is going to be functionally the same as that, but there is room for a more traditional 4x experience built on top of classic Paradox mechanics. If nothing else my curiosity is piqued as to what this project's gameplay will ultimately look like.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Farecoal
Oct 15, 2011

There he go
Runemaster??