Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: weg, Toxic Mental)

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
Yes mr. president, the troops are fighting heroically. Please don't ask for whom, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006
he calls prigozhin's actions a stab in the back

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

Baby sounds angry. Guess he's trying hard to keep projecting that tough-guy image. Also, WTF is with the resolution on that video? He looks like he's talking from an FMV game, even with the stream at 1080p.

KitConstantine
Jan 11, 2013

HonorableTB posted:

he calls prigozhin's actions a stab in the back

Meanwhile:
https://twitter.com/mariageorgieva/status/1672500219928358912?t=xod_miWMN54sqYLs_cXz1A&s=19

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006
putin: this attempt to split society is a stab in the back. the authorities will not allow a split in russia to happen again, we will protect the people

we faced betrayal, exorbitant ambitions led to the betrayal of russia

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead
guess it's moscow or die for prigo now

Nelson Mandingo
Mar 27, 2005

Humphreys posted:

Putin addressing the nation! BBC World News has an interpreter

https://www.bbc.com/news/live/world-europe-66006142

zone
Dec 6, 2016

HonorableTB posted:

"russia is waging a hard fight for its future, the entire military and information machine of the west is directed against russia"

any strife must be discarded during the period of the SMO, the fate of our people is now being decided

The fate of POCCNR is to be ruined economically, militarily, and socially, old fool. You had one correct play, and that wasn't invading Ukraine. You have only yourself to blame for that.

Toxic Mental
Jun 1, 2019

This one has live English translation:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Auq9mYxFEE

frumpykvetchbot
Feb 20, 2004

PROGRESSIVE SCAN
Upset Trowel
but where is' the Gazprom PMC?
will they be fighting with or against the musicians in the Moscow outskirts?

lil bip
Mar 13, 2004

That ain't workin', that's the way you do it
This is all loving delicious.

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006
putin called the wagner fighters heroes who are fighting in the SMO and said their name and glory were betrayed by those who organized the rebellion. any turmoil is a mortal threat, our actions will be touch

Russian armed forces received the necessary order to neutralize those who organized the armed rebellion

bratwurst massage
Jan 27, 2018
Is this what they call a clusterfuck?

also lol state of emergency is Moskva

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006
Putin: as a citizen of russia, I will do everything to defend the country. decisive actions WILL be taken.

zone
Dec 6, 2016

HonorableTB posted:

putin called the wagner fighters heroes who are fighting in the SMO and said their name and glory were betrayed by those who organized the rebellion. any turmoil is a mortal threat, our actions will be touch

Russian armed forces received the necessary order to neutralize those who organized the armed rebellion

Remains to be seen if any will actually listen, and so far the track record seems to be "not really."

Toxic Mental
Jun 1, 2019

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_paG_Irk_e4

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

Happily shilling for China!
Russia as a general rule feels like it's co-written by Cormac McCarthy and Larry David.

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

Google Jeb Bush posted:

One thing's for certain: A week from today, there will be a few less billionaires in the world. Which ones won't be around anymore? Who knows...

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

HonorableTB posted:

Putin: as a citizen of russia, I will do everything to defend the country. decisive actions WILL be taken.

Pants beware

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006
Everyone who deliberately embarked on the path of betrayal will suffer inevitable punishment. Actions will be taken to stabilize the situation in Rostov-on-Don and Voronezh

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006
Speech over, sorry if I missed anything important. Is hard to translate on the fly like that and keep up

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

HonorableTB posted:

Everyone who deliberately embarked on the path of betrayal will suffer inevitable punishment. Actions will be taken to stabilize the situation in Rostov-on-Don and Voronezh Moscow

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

a pipe smoking dog posted:

I'm really struggling to see Putin's plan here. It almost seems like he's doing a "wait to see who wins" strategy before openly supporting one side, but if that was the case why are his media all vociferously anti Prigozhin?

What easy options out does he have though. If he orders to fire on Wagner this moves into completely unpredictable territory where anything could happen. There is no turning back from that. I can absolutely understand the hesitation to make that choice.

KitConstantine posted:

Russia: much easier to conquer than Ukraine, apparently

This is how they probably imagined the attack on Kyiv to go back in Feb 2022. These people understand how authoritarian societies react to situations like these and erroneously projected it on Ukrainian society.

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost

Grape posted:

Russia as a general rule feels like it's co-written by Cormac McCarthy and Larry David.
:lol:

ronya
Nov 8, 2010

I'm the normal one.

You hate ridden fucks will regret your words when you eventually grow up.

Peace.
so, it's march on Moscow or death now, then

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

"haha, dogs can't smoke!"
Oh well I guess Putin has shown his hand. I guess it's just up to how many loyal soldiers Pution has around Moscow these days.

Also got to wonder what happens to Kadyrov and the Chechens.

lil bip
Mar 13, 2004

That ain't workin', that's the way you do it
Are there other factions outside of Wagner that would be in a position to take a power grab? Or has everyone else fallen out a window?

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

these wagner folks seem pretty bad. it's nice that they're disrupting the russian war against ukraine for a bit, but i hope they don't end up in charge of anything.

KitConstantine
Jan 11, 2013

So if you're the chef and have just been informed by the president that he considers you a traitor and is gonna kill you dead once he catches you

What do you do with the military leaders and personnel you already have your hands on?

Note that "leave them alive behind you" has been shown to be a bad strategy in the recent past

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

So putin's really gonna lose isn't he

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
Is it just me, or is Putin broadcasting from a plane? Cause those fans in the background sure sound like a jet engine to me.

Everything is fine, do not believe what you hear, I am not bound for Uruguay at this time...

zone
Dec 6, 2016

Oh well I guess Putin has shown his hand. I guess it's just up to how many loyal soldiers Pution has around Moscow these days.

They're currently on guard on the road to Moscow. If they meet, it'll probably be a fight. Though given the crazy poo poo that's already happened, maybe the comedy option is Kadyrov and Pigozhin joining forces.

NoiseAnnoys
May 17, 2010

Google Jeb Bush posted:

alea iacta est.

at this point the only way this ends is for someone to get killed.

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

zone posted:

They're currently on guard on the road to Moscow. If they meet, it'll probably be a fight. Though given the crazy poo poo that's already happened, maybe the comedy option is Kadyrov and Pigozhin joining forces.

I predict it's gonna be a repeat of Mosul 2014. Just with standing around confused instead of headlong flight.

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

zone posted:

Yeah, I don't think anyone in Russia would be okay with Kadyrov being in charge, regardless of what TikTok Rambo thinks. But if he plays kingmaker for Prigozhin, that's a lot of power right there, much more than a regional leader is ostensibly supposed to have.

Nelson Mandingo
Mar 27, 2005

I see Kadyrov as an opportunist who will support Putin to start but if it looks like Prigozhin's chances are higher than 0 he might see an opportunity for advancement.

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006

ronya posted:

so, it's march on Moscow or death now, then

Realtalk, Russia operates on some slightly different rules than countries you may be used to.

A certain amount of, let's say, rowdiness is tolerated among the boyars so long as they don't threaten to topple over the ship. Prigozhin has been yelling for attention for quite some time now, but he'd been operating within the acceptable limits of what Russian authoritarian systems are willing to tolerate.

Now, however, he has crossed a fatal line. The Kremlin has now "taken notice" of him. And in Russian history, when The State takes notice of you actively, you're hosed. Prigozhin wanted attention for Wagner, he wanted attention for himself and supplies, and for his fighters, and to improve his own standing. Well, he got that attention, at last. Except he went too far. Now the State has Noticed him. And in this context, when you are Noticed, you are considered a threat to the tsar. And like all threats to the tsar's power, the reaction will be the same as it has been historically for hundreds of years. Prigozhin will get no quarter at this point. The difference between now and when the Duma was shelled in 1993 is that Yeltsin was more or less forced to accommodate this as part of his deal to hold on power. Putin has power absolute; he can only be dislodged by dying or through mass military overthrow. Yeltsin by comparison was in a much, much weaker position.

To quote GRRM (that absolute FUCKER), "When you play the Game of Thrones, you either win or you die" - hot dog man crossed that line

ComfyPants
Mar 20, 2002

GABA ghoul posted:

What easy options out does he have though. If he orders to fire on Wagner this moves into completely unpredictable territory where anything could happen. There is no turning back from that. I can absolutely understand the hesitation to make that choice.

This is how they probably imagined the attack on Kyiv to go back in Feb 2022. These people understand how authoritarian societies react to situations like these and erroneously projected it on Ukrainian society.

"Good news and bad news, Mr. Putin. Good news is, Russian soldiers are being welcomed as liberators..."

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
This is going about as well as that submarine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gasmask
Apr 27, 2003

And if thou gaze long into an abyss, the abyss will also gaze into thee
I said from the beginning that PMCs were a bad idea. Nobody listens to ol’ Gasmask