Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: fatherboxx)

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

WaltherFeng posted:

How is Wagner supposed to operate without the army's logistics network? They still need ammo, fuel and food. Or are they literally looting army bases.

I think they're basically trying to run the blitzkrieg strategy that Russia had for the start of the Ukrainian war, go fast and take capital within a day. Then you have the state resources under your control to supply the army.

We'll see how much they can take and hold or if they get bogged down at some point and get stuck

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Freudian slippers
Jun 23, 2009
US Goon shocked and appalled to find that world is a dirty, unjust place

Google Jeb Bush posted:

I wish I knew which goon I first heard it from, it's buried somewhere in one of the ancient history or possibly milhist threads and I've been gleefully repeating the story ever since.

It refers to the rebellion which lead to the fall of the Quin dynasty: https://www.reddit.com/r/todayilearned/comments/85j254/til_of_the_dazexiang_uprising_in_qin_china_2/

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

WaltherFeng posted:

How is Wagner supposed to operate without the army's logistics network? They still need ammo, fuel and food. Or are they literally looting army bases.

Yes, they beelined for military objects in Rostov and Voronezh. As for non military stuff such as fuel and basic provisions, there's little an army of sociopaths can't get in a city of over 1 million.

Mirotic
Mar 8, 2013

WaltherFeng posted:

I know it's Marco Rubio, but he is on relevant committees (intelligence, foreign relations).

https://twitter.com/marcorubio/status/1672428534877286404?t=hY4zFU65B6C0Ou2Yc38Q8g&s=19

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one

steinrokkan posted:

Yes, they beelined for military objects in Rostov and Voronezh. As for non military stuff such as fuel and basic provisions, there's little an army of sociopaths can't get in a city of over 1 million.

I assume their game plan is such a rapid tempo that they don't have time to piss around doing atrocities. Either they get Wagner vehicles in Red Square in the next day or two or they know they've lost.

But if they get bogged down without being wiped out then things could get a lot more dicey. Then again, if Prigozhin can convince regular army that he's ultimately on their side and turn some, and they have control of one or two oblasts, they may be able to make use of supply lines and some level of production without needing to be pricks about it.

There are so many ways things could go right now, though, that this is all full speculation.

acidx
Sep 24, 2019

right clicking is stealing
Watching the Russian Civil War kick off was not how I expected to spend my night. Hopefully Wagner dudes don't start defecting en masse now that it's obvious there will be no deals.

Flavahbeast
Jul 21, 2001

Grain of salt since afaik grey_zone is run by or closely linked to Wagner, but

(google translated)

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

I expected to get high and watch Minecraft videos on YouTube, and I've mostly done that, but yeah, this is also quite unexpected.

Nelson Mandingo
Mar 27, 2005

acidx posted:

Watching the Russian Civil War kick off was not how I expected to spend my night. Hopefully Wagner dudes don't start defecting en masse now that it's obvious there will be no deals.

I'm not sure we really want Wagner to win. Putin is a piece of poo poo and a coward with delusions of grandeur but he can openly admit that threatening nukes isn't useful. I'm not exactly comfortable with a psychopathic nazi-adjacent warlord obtaining nukes. The ideal situation is Prigozhin does well enough that Putin has to recall the soldiers from Ukraine, effectively ending the war. And then Prigozhin loses.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>

Flavahbeast posted:

Grain of salt since afaik grey_zone is run by or closely linked to Wagner, but

(google translated)

run by wagner, yes

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

acidx posted:

My primary hope in this weirdly sudden development is minimum suffering for the Russian civilians (and conscripts), which happens to include "i'd really rather urban fighting didn't happen" but uh if Prigozhin reaches Moscow it's either urban fighting or declare him co-emperor, neither of which is good for anybody who isn't Prigozhin.

poo poo's wild.

Nelson Mandingo posted:

I'm not sure we really want Wagner to win. Putin is a piece of poo poo and a coward with delusions of grandeur but he can openly admit that threatening nukes isn't useful. I'm not exactly comfortable with a psychopathic nazi-adjacent warlord obtaining nukes. The ideal situation is Prigozhin does well enough that Putin has to recall the soldiers from Ukraine, effectively ending the war. And then Prigozhin loses.

yeah that's probably it i guess

e: https://twitter.com/maxseddon/status/1672388055590731777?s=20

Goatse James Bond fucked around with this message at 08:45 on Jun 24, 2023

WarpedLichen
Aug 14, 2008

Nelson Mandingo posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LuiK7jcC1fY

Prigozhin is the lizard, now we have to find the snakes and the gorillas...

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one

Tbf if Prigozhin did indeed talk poo poo about the war and say it's not to the benefit of ordinary Russians, it may tie his hands if he wins. Kind of asking to get Praetorian Guarded if you win a coup on the strength of a promise to stop wasting lives in a useless war and then to continue the war

MeinPanzer
Dec 20, 2004
anyone who reads Cinema Discusso for anything more than slackjawed trolling will see the shittiness in my posts
Given the reports of open fighting between Wagner and Russian troops around Bakhmut and that this was one of the factors precipitating this revolt, I wonder if the Ukrainian offensive there might be able to take advantage and punch through? It seems like it might be one of the softest spots now along Russia’s defensive lines if Russian troops there are occupied or thinned out.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters
Personally I doubt Putin or Prigozhin survive the next year or two regardless of who wins. Seems like the system would be irrevocably destabilized in either event.

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

Staluigi posted:

That one loving tank they had in reserve for the victory day parade gonna be doing serious duty trying to cover all of moscow from an assault
It's finally the Armata's time to shine!

Lum_
Jun 5, 2006

Nelson Mandingo posted:

We absolutely do not want Wagner to win. Prigozhin is a psychopathic monster who likes murdering people with sledgehammers. The thought of him in any sort of position of power should send chills down everyone's spine.

acidx
Sep 24, 2019

right clicking is stealing
I hope they bring Russia down around their ankles.

MeinPanzer
Dec 20, 2004
anyone who reads Cinema Discusso for anything more than slackjawed trolling will see the shittiness in my posts

Captain Oblivious posted:

Personally I doubt Putin or Prigozhin survive the next year or two regardless of who wins. Seems like the system would be irrevocably destabilized in either event.

This is my thinking now too. This has gone too far to be swept under the rug. At best Putin might hope for a purge as in Turkey post-2016 coup, but his power has been so closely tied to his absolute control of the state and military that it’s hard to envision that successfully reestablishing stability.

Nelson Mandingo
Mar 27, 2005

Captain Oblivious posted:

Putin has to pull very hard on the ol' stabbed in the back myth. The problem of being a strongman is once you're weak, even once, you can never be strong again.

Unormal
Nov 16, 2004

Mod sass? This evening?! But the cakes aren't ready! THE CAKES!
Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/spectatorindex/status/1672511175203119104

Nelson Mandingo
Mar 27, 2005

Also Putin is learning in real time, as has every leader in loving history who's footsteps he's following why you don't make mercenaries a pillar of your military. They work pretty well when they're paid and winning easy fights. The moment things get hard, they turn on you.

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

Wake up, CNN! It's time for Decision 2023!

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys
...they really did project their own fragility right onto Ukraine, didn't they?

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

Nelson Mandingo posted:

Also Putin is learning in real time, as has every leader in loving history who's footsteps he's following why you don't make mercenaries a pillar of your military. They work pretty well when they're paid and winning easy fights. The moment things get hard, they turn on you.

That's not really true. Mercenaries and generally non-state military forces have been very effective, there are even many examples of reliability and loyalty. You can find a whole bunch of examples of state militaries turning on their governments in both this and the last century.

Emsee
Jun 17, 2005
Hmm...

Nelson Mandingo posted:

My man is moving on Moscow. It doesn't matter if his objectives are exactly what he says. This is a rebellion or coup attempt. Letting it slide is an act of extreme weakness in a society that abhors it.

Also what use has Prigozhin for Putin if he can be king? Either Prigozhin is dead or he's the unofficial ruler of Russia by the end of the week.

Fair point.

It just seems that if his pubic claim is that his enemies in the MoD deceived Putin to launch the invasion and that he's doing this for the ordinary Russians and the rank and file soldiers, then he can't really turn around and say. "Well, in for a penny, in for a pound. Get back out there, lads."

Of course it's entirely possible he's not thought that far ahead and he's a very desperate man.

Nelson Mandingo
Mar 27, 2005

Randarkman posted:

That's not really true. Mercenaries and generally non-state military forces have been very effective, there are even many examples of reliability and loyalty. You can find a whole bunch of examples of state militaries turning on their governments in both this and the last century.

I would take the full source of my post as not inaccurate. You're not wrong, after all. Mercenaries have been used in every conflict and always will be. That being said mercenaries generally get the reputation as being untrustworthy or unreliable for good reasons. Just look at how much of a headache Blackwater caused the United States in Iraq as a good example.

That's why I make the point that making them a pillar of your military and then sending them into difficulty can be a huge mistake. Someone who is willing to simply kill other people for money more likely has no problem killing you for personal gain either.

Nelson Mandingo fucked around with this message at 09:21 on Jun 24, 2023

Aeble
Oct 21, 2010

Makes it that much more of a nailbiter, I hope we'll see what's actually happening through propaganda etc. soon.

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good
well, caught up and ready to collapse back to bed. life finds ways to continue to surprise

whatever the outcome of this, surely it is once again reminds me why i don't subscribe to the realist school of thought. the idea that people are rational actors and events and outcomes can be predicted with cold rationality by serious actors must give the gods fits of laughter

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
That's not what the realist school is or why is called that though.

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good
educate me on it, i'll be paying very close attention

Fragrag
Aug 3, 2007
The Worst Admin Ever bashes You in the head with his banhammer. It is smashed into the body, an unrecognizable mass! You have been struck down.

Nelson Mandingo posted:

I would take the full source of my post as not inaccurate. You're not wrong, after all. Mercenaries have been used in every conflict and always will be. That being said mercenaries generally get the reputation as being untrustworthy or unreliable for good reasons. Just look at how much of a headache Blackwater caused the United States in Iraq as a good example.

That's why I make the point that making them a pillar of your military and then sending them into difficulty can be a huge mistake. Someone who is willing to simply kill other people for money more likely has no problem killing you for personal gain either.

And there are dozens of examples of this throughout history.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

GhostofJohnMuir posted:

educate me on it, i'll be paying very close attention

https://plato.stanford.edu/entries/realism-intl-relations/

Realism just means the reality in which actors make decisions exists independently on their will / intentions / cognition / ethics etc, as opposed to idealism.

Freudian slippers
Jun 23, 2009
US Goon shocked and appalled to find that world is a dirty, unjust place

Does Wagner have any anti-air weapons capable of downing jets? If not, they may face some interesting times when trying to move on Moscow proper.

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

It's looking a bit tense on the streets of Vostov https://twitter.com/sentdefender/status/1672525243942830083

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
Looks like we're at the Kornilov Phase of Russia loving up a war.

EDIT: I mean in terms of deranged Russian generals Prigozhin is much closer to that psycho who tried to start a new Mongol empire but I can't think of a way to finish this pedantic correction.

Vincent Van Goatse fucked around with this message at 09:54 on Jun 24, 2023

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Well this has already gone way beyond anything I thought was possible. Guess I'll just be following along and shaking my head.

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

Good morning thread!

I have a friend in Rostov, he went tankwatching today, says there are more Wagners than military at the moment

Freudian slippers posted:

Does Wagner have any anti-air weapons capable of downing jets? If not, they may face some interesting times when trying to move on Moscow proper.

MANPADs for sure, certainly they would seek to capture proper AA vehicles when doing a tour around military bases

Belteshazzar
Oct 4, 2004

我が生涯に
一片の悔い無し

Freudian slippers posted:

https://twitter.com/Osinttechnical/status/1672522249176338436

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nimby
Nov 4, 2009

The pinnacle of cloud computing.

I'm really curious how this is going to impact russian logistics into Ukraine. Prigozhin said he wants to let the military continue to run the war, but this has to have some pretty debilitating effects.