Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: weg, Toxic Mental)

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

Hope Ukraine can use the confusion and paralysis for a breakthrough somewhere. This is the best possible time for something like this to happen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006

CommissarMega posted:

Yeah, I don't think anyone in Russia would be okay with Kadyrov being in charge, regardless of what TikTok Rambo thinks. But if he plays kingmaker for Prigozhin, that's a lot of power right there, much more than a regional leader is ostensibly supposed to have.

Under no circumstances will Kadyrov or any non-ethnic Russian be tolerated in the big seat. It is simply unthinkable, you would see the entire dissolution of the Russian Federation into its constituent republics before you see a non-Russian in the top spot. Even Stalin, a Georgian, completely rejected his entire heritage to the point of changing his name to his nom de guerre and hiring a voice coach to help him get rid of his Georgian accent when speaking Russian

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD

HonorableTB posted:

Realtalk, Russia operates on some slightly different rules than countries you may be used to.

A certain amount of, let's say, rowdiness is tolerated among the boyars so long as they don't threaten to topple over the ship. Prigozhin has been yelling for attention for quite some time now, but he'd been operating within the acceptable limits of what Russian authoritarian systems are willing to tolerate.

Now, however, he has crossed a fatal line. The Kremlin has now "taken notice" of him. And in Russian history, when The State takes notice of you actively, you're hosed. Prigozhin wanted attention for Wagner, he wanted attention for himself and supplies, and for his fighters, and to improve his own standing. Well, he got that attention, at last. Except he went too far. Now the State has Noticed him. And in this context, when you are Noticed, you are considered a threat to the tsar. And like all threats to the tsar's power, the reaction will be the same as it has been historically for hundreds of years. Prigozhin will get no quarter at this point. The difference between now and when the Duma was shelled in 1993 is that Yeltsin was more or less forced to accommodate this as part of his deal to hold on power. Putin has power absolute; he can only be dislodged by dying or through mass military overthrow. Yeltsin by comparison was in a much, much weaker position.

To quote GRRM (that absolute FUCKER), "When you play the Game of Thrones, you either win or you die" - hot dog man crossed that line

Just a thought. Are we over-estimating the strength of the Russian regime as badly as we over-estimated the strength of the Russian army?

zone
Dec 6, 2016

GABA ghoul posted:

Hope Ukraine can use the confusion and paralysis for a breakthrough somewhere. This is the best possible time for something like this to happen.

Remember that Rostov was essentially the nerve center for central command of the invading forces. It also served as the primary logistics hub for supplies reaching the front. The loss of these supplies and the command center landed the invasion force in big trouble, especially if the Ukrainians exploit this to destroy as many known logistics locations on their occupied land as possible.

beer_war
Mar 10, 2005

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006

Funky See Funky Do posted:

Just a thought. Are we over-estimating the strength of the Russian regime as badly as we over-estimated the strength of the Russian army?

Not really. "Strength" here is a very relative term but one thing has remained constant throughout the entirety of the Russian Imperial existence through to the USSR and now in the Russian Federation.

The tsar/general secretary/president has always, ALWAYS maintained a separate internal security force loyal to himself first and foremost, and the state second. The tsars had the Okhrana, the Soviets had the Cheka/NKVD/KGB, the Russian Federation has OMON and Rosgvardia. These organizations have typically operated outside of normal military hierarchies and traditionally answerable only to the tsar/gen sec/president directly. Prior to the invasion of 2022, and throughout it, Putin has increased the pay and conditions of his internal troops because they are the key to his continued life.

It is a very real possibility that the internal troops Russia has are better equipped and in better conditions than the actual Ministry of Defense troops in the field in Ukraine. Think of them as Putin's praetorian guard. He has gone way out of his way to turn them into his core base.

Is it still a possibility that they turn on him? Sure, absolutely. It happened to several Russian tsars, same as it happened to the Roman emperors whose praetorians assassinated them. I don't think it's very likely though.

tldr: it's not overestimated the Russian regime's strength so much as it is honestly evaluating it in the context of it being russian forces vs russian forces, and adjusting the curve from there.

zone
Dec 6, 2016

https://twitter.com/NOELreports/status/1672503379019350020
This is one of the biggest missile strikes I've seen them launch in a long time.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

When I want to relax, I read an essay by Engels. When I want something more serious, I read Corto Maltese.

Grape posted:

Russia as a general rule feels like it's co-written by Cormac McCarthy and Larry David.

That's a... Lol of sorts. A sad lol at the state of this plane of existence that a sentence like this can be written and it makes sense.

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

HonorableTB posted:

It is a very real possibility that the internal troops Russia has are better equipped and in better conditions than the actual Ministry of Defense troops in the field in Ukraine. Think of them as Putin's praetorian guard. He has gone way out of his way to turn them into his core base.

The praetorian guard were loving worthless in battles though.

zone
Dec 6, 2016

Fighterbomber telegram channel reports that 2 Mi-8 EW helicopters were shot down in combat with the Wanker SS. They lost two more of these when their own air defense went haywire in Bryansk. Now there are 18 remaining of 22.

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006

Randarkman posted:

The praetorian guard were loving worthless in battles though.

Yeah you weren't really supposed to use them that way, but like most things in this war, the stupidest choice was picked

zone posted:

Fighterbomber telegram channel reports that 2 Mi-8 EW helicopters were shot down in combat with the Wanker SS. They lost two more of these when their own air defense went haywire in Bryansk. Now there are 18 remaining of 22.

An...EW...helicopter???? I dove into this and found a profile on its capabilities:

quote:

While detailed information about Russia’s electronic warfare (EW) helicopters has been difficult to obtain in the past, sufficient open-source information is now available about this previously highly classified subject, enabling us to get a basic understanding of the functionality and capabilities of the currently fielded systems.

The Mil Mi-8 Hip has numerous special mission derivatives outfitted to perform a wide variety of electronic countermeasures (ECM) roles. These have been developed over a period of almost 40 years and have provided the Soviet/Russian military with a much-sought capability to blind, confound and confuse enemy air and ground forces. The rich line of ECM-tasked Hips fielded in the 1970s and 1980s were designed to defeat sophisticated radar-guided surface-to-air missile (SAM) systems, denying the effective use of search and targeting radars, disrupting enemy communication and navigation capabilities, and providing effective signals intelligence and interception capability on the battlefield.

No less than a dozen Mi-8 special-mission derivatives have been fielded over the years to perform a wide variety of battlefield radar and communications jamming, as well as signals intelligence (SIGINT), communication intelligence (COMINT), and electronic intelligence (ELINT) roles. The ubiquitous Mi-8T and its much-improved Mi-8MTV-5 version offer sufficient cabin space to install heavy and powerful mission systems over 6,612lb in weight, while the fuselage’s dimensions allow for the external installation of many antennas for jamming and eavesdropping purposes.

With a growing numerical strength since 2014, the new-generation ECM-tasked Hips have undeniably been a valuable battlefield asset for the Russian military, wherever they have been deployed – including across large-scale exercises and real-world combat operations, such as the Syrian conflict in 2017 and 2018.

Missile disruptors

Radar jamming is the intentional emission of radio frequency (RF) signals set to interfere with the operation of radar, saturating the receiver channel with false information. The jammer system radiates interfering signals, which block the enemy’s radar receiver with highly concentrated energy signals or create false targets.

Currently, the Russian Aerospace Forces (RuASF) maintain a fleet of 20-30 such helicopters equipped for radar and navigation systems jamming, while small numbers of older-generation ECM-tasked Hips are still in operation in the former Soviet republics of Belarus and Ukraine, as well as in other countries, such as Syria.

The RuASF’s jamming and eavesdropping Hips are believed to be operated by three army aviation brigades, each of which fields a dedicated EW detachment with four to six helicopters in addition to a detachment assigned to the Syzran branch of the air force’s Military Educational and Scientific Centre. These brigades and the Syzran branch are based in the four military districts of Russia: Southern, Western, Central and Eastern. The Southern Military District (SMD) was the first to take on strength the much-sought new-generation airborne ECM capability, represented by the Mi-8MTPR-1, in 2014, followed by the Western Military District in 2015.

The Mi-8SMV was the first dedicated ECMtasked derivative of the Hip. Equipped with the Smalta-V radar jammer, and its vastly improved derivative, known as the Mi-8SMV-PG, is believed to be still in active use with the RuASF, albeit in declining numbers. Developed by the Kaluga Research Institute of Radio Engineering (KNIRTI) in the 1970s, the sophisticated jammer system was originally designed to disrupt the guidance of the US-made Raytheon MIM-23 Hawk lowto-medium-altitude SAM systems.

Over time, the Mi-8SMV’s mission suite underwent several upgrades, with the most recent derivative of the system dubbed Smalta-PG (based on the SPS-88PG jammer), which has been fielded in regular service since 2000 and boasts a significantly expanded range of operating modes against air, ground and ship-based radar threats.

Operating in the X-band, the Smalta-PG jammer is optimised for disrupting radars working in the 10GHz frequency. Its receiver/ transmitter antennas are housed in small rectangular radomes on the cabin sides (two on each side of the fuselage), while the cabin houses the system’s hardware and a control console for its single operator.

The system can create jamming signals across a wide spectrum, at up to ten different frequency channels, operating in seven different directions simultaneously by generating frequency-modulated noise signals from port-and starboard-side emitter antennas. Significantly, Russian sources also noted the upgraded Smalta-PG suite had introduced the ability to jam the signals of both the US GPS and Russian GLONASS satellite navigation systems.

The upgraded ECM-tasked helicopter received the corresponding Mi-8SMV-PG designation and is still in service with the Russian military. This derivative was reported to have been actively used in the test and evaluation effort for the RuASF’s Almaz S-300PMU (SA-10 Grumble) and S-400 Triumph (SA-21 Growler) low-tohigh-altitude ground-based air defence (GBAD) systems, creating a complex jamming environment during the missile test firings.

New-generation jammers

In 2012, the Russian Ministry of Defence (MoD) announced the SMD had received new-build, new-generation Mi-8MTPR-1 ECM-tasked helicopters. Designed as a successor to the Mi-8SMV-PG, the MTPR-1 standard features a significantly enhanced mission suite, which incorporates the Rychag-AV jammer system.

Developed by the KNIRTI – now a subsidiary of Concern Radio-Electronic Technologies (KRET), which is itself controlled by Russia’s state-owned Rostec State Corporation – the Rychag-AV is a new-generation jammer that was introduced as the Smalta-PG’s successor. Entering development in the late 1980s, a prototype (dubbed Rychag-BV1) was reported to have been tested for the first time in 1990. However, a lack of funding caused a temporary interruption in the development works at the time, and the development and testing activities – using two Mi-8MT-based testbeds – did not resume before 2001.

lmao helicopters are constantly trying their hardest to crash into the ground because they are an affront to physics itself, why the gently caress would you turn them into an EW platform? and that goes for any other dumbass country that thinks this is a good idea too *looks at US*

HonorableTB fucked around with this message at 08:29 on Jun 24, 2023

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

zone posted:

https://twitter.com/NOELreports/status/1672503379019350020
This is one of the biggest missile strikes I've seen them launch in a long time.

I'm surprised they haven't redirected those at Prigozhin's coup forces.

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD

HonorableTB posted:

tldr: it's not overestimated the Russian regime's strength so much as it is honestly evaluating it in the context of it being russian forces vs russian forces, and adjusting the curve from there.

Sorry I wasn't clear, I didn't mean in terms of military strength. I meant in the sense of its loyalty and support for Putin.

Nelson Mandingo
Mar 27, 2005

Sorry I wasn't clear, I didn't mean in terms of military strength. I meant in the sense of its loyalty and support for Putin.

Yeah that's where I'm at. When they reach Moscow, does the security forces just let them walk in? Guess we'll find out.

NoiseAnnoys
May 17, 2010

Neddy Seagoon posted:

I'm surprised they haven't redirected those at Prigozhin's coup forces.

because that would absolutely ignite a civil war the kremlin isn’t sure it can win.

ComfyPants
Mar 20, 2002

HonorableTB posted:

Yeah you weren't really supposed to use them that way, but like most things in this war, the stupidest choice was picked

An...EW...helicopter???? I dove into this and found a profile on its capabilities:

lmao helicopters are constantly trying their hardest to crash into the ground because they are an affront to physics itself, why the gently caress would you turn them into an EW platform? and that goes for any other dumbass country that thinks this is a good idea too *looks at US*

"No need to turn on the jammers yet, we're still 10 minutes from Ukraine. Look, there's some of our guys, give 'em a wave."

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!

wagner hasn't really run into organized resistance in russia they way they did in ukraine, at least not yet. he caught putin's forces flat footed, but unless they can actually take and hold moscow in the next day or two they are gonna have to deal with some kind of organized force.

the regime looks super weak right now because in the west we generally assume that local areas are given some sort of means and opportunity to protect themselves and some sort of SOP to follow for adverse situations. but that's never really been the case in russia to the extent we expect in the west, and it's even less the case under putin because he's been ruthlessly centralizing power for decades now. even places like rostov fall fairly easily if there's no plan in place for contingencies.

cats like honorable can probably comment further but overall i think it's telling that within like 30 minutes of Prig declaring war, we had confirmation that Operation Fortress had been enacted around moscow. no such plan was implemented in rostov. i'm not so arrogant as to offer an unequivocal explanation for this, but that implies to me that said plan was either overlooked by way of hubris (e.g.: "enemies will NEVER attack here!") or intentional policy (e.g.: "this place isn't moscow, the seat of power, so it's not THAT important.")

this entire day has been stupid as hell so obviously we'd be fools to rule anything out as impossible, but i think it's reasonable to assume that moscow will be properly organized and behind putin, and we've seen that wagner can be defeated by an organized opponent once already in ukraine.

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006

:negative:

That's a whole other question and one that's a lot trickier. I've got a lot of training in Kremlinology (yes this is a real thing) and my professional opinion of this is: :shrug:

poo poo is so far off the rails at this point that I cannot honestly tell you something will or won't happen, or even be able to give you an informed enough opinion as to be worth anything.

On one hand, I think it's a signifier of Putin's strength over his regime that the war has lasted as long as it has. A weak leader doesn't survive a war like this for as long as he has without a firm grasp over the levers of power.

On the other hand, strong leaders don't have a significant portion of their military do a 180 and start invading in reverse

I have no idea lol, and I think anyone who claims they do is full of poo poo. We're in uncharted waters here. I just try to provide historical and cultural context for what we're seeing so people can better understand it, to the extent that I can

1000 Sweaty Rikers
Oct 13, 2005

new Agenda-Free TV stream here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L30Jh8K_PxM

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!

HonorableTB posted:

:negative:

That's a whole other question and one that's a lot trickier. I've got a lot of training in Kremlinology (yes this is a real thing) and my professional opinion of this is: :shrug:

poo poo is so far off the rails at this point that I cannot honestly tell you something will or won't happen, or even be able to give you an informed enough opinion as to be worth anything.

On one hand, I think it's a signifier of Putin's strength over his regime that the war has lasted as long as it has. A weak leader doesn't survive a war like this for as long as he has without a firm grasp over the levers of power.

On the other hand, strong leaders don't have a significant portion of their military do a 180 and start invading in reverse

I have no idea lol, and I think anyone who claims they do is full of poo poo. We're in uncharted waters here. I just try to provide historical and cultural context for what we're seeing so people can better understand it, to the extent that I can

lmfao we were posting almost the exact same goddamn thing at the exact same goddamn time, only difference is i lodged a half-hearted opinion

ok i'm going to bed

Slam Pajamas
May 21, 2007
ALL TEXT TITLE ALL-STARS
Is Wagner Wang havin a tussle on the monkeybars or is that just a buncha conjecture from the beltway

CSM
Jan 29, 2014

56th Motorized Infantry 'Mariupol' Brigade
Seh' die Welt in Trummern liegen
https://twitter.com/ChrisO_wiki/status/1672500874113949696?t=h3Rui8V358I-8uBtpj_OXQ&s=19

Lol.

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006

Slam Pajamas posted:

Is Wagner Wang havin a tussle on the monkeybars or is that just a buncha conjecture from the beltway

wagner is at the stage where they have taken over the wooden bridge side of the playground and theyre going for the slides, try and stop them if you can

Coolguye posted:

lmfao we were posting almost the exact same goddamn thing at the exact same goddamn time, only difference is i lodged a half-hearted opinion

ok i'm going to bed

:cheers: I should do that too, but how can I when I can finally put my otherwise useless degrees to work :D

zone
Dec 6, 2016

HonorableTB posted:

wagner is at the stage where they have taken over the wooden bridge side of the playground and theyre going for the slides, try and stop them if you can

:cheers: I should do that too, but how can I when I can finally put my otherwise useless degrees to work :D

:goonsay: but ah, they did it illegally, and if they don't apologize and go home their daddy will spank them then make them apologize.

ComfyPants
Mar 20, 2002

https://twitter.com/michaelh992/status/1672497439868084224

1000 Sweaty Rikers
Oct 13, 2005

Prig's huge balls

(disclaimer: not a fan of the guy)

CSM
Jan 29, 2014

56th Motorized Infantry 'Mariupol' Brigade
Seh' die Welt in Trummern liegen
https://twitter.com/ChrisO_wiki/status/1672500889439854596?t=ZBkXCGv0OV41pwyHbJG2IQ&s=19

Wonder if this true or bullshit.

zone
Dec 6, 2016

Who even knows anymore? It's probably the smartest thing he could have done, given that Pigozhin probably has a hammer with his name on it.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

I'd say bullshit as it was reported. If it was true, surely nobody would be telling the world where he is and give Wagner a chance to hunt them down. Just go, hide and be "missing" cause loose lips get a trip out of high-story windows.

Ninurta
Sep 19, 2007
What the HELL? That's my cutting board.

Gasmask posted:

I said from the beginning that PMCs were a bad idea. Nobody listens to ol’ Gasmask

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

https://twitter.com/maxseddon/status/1672388055590731777?s=20

admittedly from earlier in the day but the premise holds true

Oldsmobile
Jun 13, 2006

I think 99% of the strength of the Russian regime is in Ukraine right now and not between Voronez and Moscow, where Wagner appears to be rn.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

a pipe smoking dog posted:

Oh well I guess Putin has shown his hand. I guess it's just up to how many loyal soldiers Pution has around Moscow these days.

Also got to wonder what happens to Kadyrov and the Chechens.

I would think they talk up their loyalty to Putin while standing back and waiting for the smoke to clear. Kadyrov seems to be able to keep Chechnya pretty well under his thumb, which is very useful to whoever ends up in charge. Other option is the full on Balkanization of Russia, I guess.

I think these events end with Putin still in charge, at least in the short term, but maybe I'm once again overestimating the strength of Russia's military/institutions.

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006
So lets talk a bit about Operation Fortress since Coolguye brought it up in their really nice post which people should read because it's insightful:

Coolguye posted:

wagner hasn't really run into organized resistance in russia they way they did in ukraine, at least not yet. he caught putin's forces flat footed, but unless they can actually take and hold moscow in the next day or two they are gonna have to deal with some kind of organized force.

the regime looks super weak right now because in the west we generally assume that local areas are given some sort of means and opportunity to protect themselves and some sort of SOP to follow for adverse situations. but that's never really been the case in russia to the extent we expect in the west, and it's even less the case under putin because he's been ruthlessly centralizing power for decades now. even places like rostov fall fairly easily if there's no plan in place for contingencies.

cats like honorable can probably comment further but overall i think it's telling that within like 30 minutes of Prig declaring war, we had confirmation that Operation Fortress had been enacted around moscow. no such plan was implemented in rostov. i'm not so arrogant as to offer an unequivocal explanation for this, but that implies to me that said plan was either overlooked by way of hubris (e.g.: "enemies will NEVER attack here!") or intentional policy (e.g.: "this place isn't moscow, the seat of power, so it's not THAT important.")

this entire day has been stupid as hell so obviously we'd be fools to rule anything out as impossible, but i think it's reasonable to assume that moscow will be properly organized and behind putin, and we've seen that wagner can be defeated by an organized opponent once already in ukraine.

The part I want to highlight is the part about Fortress's implementation in Moscow vs the regions.

The Fortress plans were adopted pre-war. Imminently pre-war. As in, days before the full scale invasion in February 2022.

The Russian law governing the country's polity underwent changes that were designed to consolidate the existing political system. Similar to running on a treadmill, you run to stay in the same place.

The changes here were two laws introduced into the Duma - "On the General Principles of the Organisation of Public Authority in the Constituent Entites of the Russian Federation", which came into power in December 2021, and "On the General Principles of the Organisation of Local Self-Government under the Unified System of Public Authority" also introduced in December 2021.

Both laws build on the Russian constitutional amendment regarding a unified system of public authority, which includes all bodies of state power at the federal, regional, and local levels. The laws ensured that the Federal center would have almost limitless scope to interfere in the affairs of the regions, and for regional authorities to interfere in the affairs of municipalities - a top-down system. For example, federal authorities can influence regional staffing decisions in the areas of education, healthcare, etc while the president can override any of the decisions made by a governor in those areas, similar to the US system. Regional authorities can also take away important powers from municipalities.

The tldr of this is, by design the system is meant so that any higher authority can override the decision of a lower authority. This breeds a system where lower authorities don't act because they see no point if their choices will just be overruled, so they naturally refer the matter up the chain. Because the end point of this chain is Putin, the president, no decision gets made until Putin gives some order or indication.

Hence, Wagner took over two major cities in 24 hours because everything relies on Putin, or his delegate, to give the orders. Nobody in a lesser position will do it because of the fear of being overridden in conjunction with longstanding Soviet tradition of "do nothing without written orders from above".

Authoritarianism.txt

beer_war
Mar 10, 2005

Tankies right now: How *dare* those libs cheer for Wagner Nazis? What the gently caress is *wrong* with them? I find this all very concerning.

:ironicat:

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

Oldsmobile posted:

I think 99% of the strength of the Russian regime is in Ukraine right now and not between Voronez and Moscow, where Wagner appears to be rn.

There's the much vaunted interior security forces of various stripes. But I think it's fairly likely they're gonna decide that they didn't sign up for this.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
Don't worry Putin has his top men on it

https://i.imgur.com/vEQn3xF.mp4

ronya
Nov 8, 2010

I'm the normal one.

You hate ridden fucks will regret your words when you eventually grow up.

Peace.
https://twitter.com/wartranslated/status/1672510543247155202

alea iacta est

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys
It's a tense situation. I'm sure we can count on the geniuses who brought us the hostomel airport strike and the glorious career of the Moskva to pull through.

(Also, thanks HonorableTB for your posts!)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

1000 Sweaty Rikers
Oct 13, 2005

I would blow Dane Cook posted:

Don't worry Putin has his top men on it

https://i.imgur.com/vEQn3xF.mp4

lol