Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arzachel
May 12, 2012

Wonton posted:

Yo dudes, what’s the consensus about the fractal terra?

You're a bit limited on the CPU cooler height with a 3-slot GPU but it should be fine for a gaming system.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
As a user of a Dan A4 for TV gaming, :yeah:

Fractal Terra will be fine. A modern Ryzen with 65W eco mode or manual TDP limits, so even a tiny CPU cooler with a 3-slot card is fine (but personally I'd recommend using a not-much-more-than-2-slot GPU and a higher CPU cooler but YMMV).

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

When 90% of people usually only really care about the looks of a case and whether their stuff fits, I'd say the C4-2 is a markedly different case yeah.

Anyway, this fucks:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gqii2PIT4Pg

unimportantguy
Dec 25, 2012

Hey, Johnny, what's a "shitpost"?
I'm going forward with my Terra build with 7800X3D and a 6700XT. Got the parts ordered. :toot:

This is my first rodeo for ITX/SFF so any good general-purpose building advice is appreciated.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord

unimportantguy posted:

I'm going forward with my Terra build with 7800X3D and a 6700XT. Got the parts ordered. :toot:

This is my first rodeo for ITX/SFF so any good general-purpose building advice is appreciated.

what CPU cooling solution are you gonna use?

I've always done air cooling, so my tip with regards to that is try to wire everything into the motherboard first before securing the heatsink in/putting the mobo into the case, if possible. I have a NH-L12s and while its not a huge hunk of metal, it covers a lot of things, and its made even worse when already installed into my Sliger Cl-530.

Gin
Aug 29, 2004
and Tonic

unimportantguy posted:

I'm super interested in your build/assembly experience. Please post about how it goes!

unimportantguy
Dec 25, 2012

buglord posted:

what CPU cooling solution are you gonna use?

I have a Thermalright AXP120-X67 on the way. Should be a perfect fit.

unimportantguy fucked around with this message at 03:33 on Jun 19, 2023

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

unimportantguy posted:

Depending on what PSU you have, even the cables that come with SFX models can be a bit long for smaller cases - so give some extra time in planning your cable routing, which was basically the main difference for me compared to an ATX build.

Also probably not as important in the Terra as it's so accessible but get as many components onto your motherboard before you stick it in the case.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

ijyt posted:

Depending on what PSU you have, even the cables that come with SFX models can be a bit long for smaller cases - so give some extra time in planning your cable routing, which was basically the main difference for me compared to an ATX build.

Also probably not as important in the Terra as it's so accessible but get as many components onto your motherboard before you stick it in the case.

Yeah, there's a reason custom cables are extremely prevalent in the SFX community, well beyond even the aesthetic customs used in some ATX builds. Getting a cable set that is measured and cut just right to fit your particular case-motherboard-PSU combo makes life so, so much easier.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

When I downsize my NR200 I'm for sure gonna make my own, probably unsleeved.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

ijyt posted:

When I downsize my NR200 I'm for sure gonna make my own, probably unsleeved.

I was going to try making my own, but I was having a poo poo time sourcing the kind of 'clear/silver' sheathing I wanted, so I just ended up ordering from pslate. They were also able to provide me an unterminated PWM lead for my water pump, which is the main reason I plug them. They were more than happy to draw up a custom quote to my specs and ship it.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

Warmachine posted:

I was going to try making my own, but I was having a poo poo time sourcing the kind of 'clear/silver' sheathing I wanted, so I just ended up ordering from pslate. They were also able to provide me an unterminated PWM lead for my water pump, which is the main reason I plug them. They were more than happy to draw up a custom quote to my specs and ship it.

Thats where I got mine originally. as well as pexonpc in the UK when a pslate cable didn't route how I expected, great quality and seems like a good guy. I just really enjoy stuff like that so seems like a fun side hobby to do.

Speaking of water pumps, had been considering going off the deep end and getting an ultramod lobo and EK DDC 4.2, then wiring the pump to run off just the PWM instead of SATA, but it seems everyone [i]but[i/] ASUS run their fan headers juiced. Gigabyte is like 2A/18W, I think MSI or Asrock go 3A/24W, while ASUS trucks along at 1A/12W :smith: Will probably just go aircooled instead.

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

I was really looking forward to getting the C4 but was going to wait until Newegg got it stock but whoops. Now that Dan has shown the viability of that layout I wonder if Coolermaster will seize the opportunity to tweak the NR200 slightly and make their own version of it.

Animal
Apr 8, 2003

Coredump posted:

I was really looking forward to getting the C4 but was going to wait until Newegg got it stock but whoops. Now that Dan has shown the viability of that layout I wonder if Coolermaster will seize the opportunity to tweak the NR200 slightly and make their own version of it.

The C4 is so good. Just wait for the V2 that he announced. I just rebuilt in with a 7800X3D using the recommended Noctua NH-D12L, 140mm fan for exhaust, 4090 FE, and two NVME drives. It really is a joy to build in, the attention to detail and rigidity are great. My favorite part is the exhaust ramp to duct out hot air coming out of Founders Edition cards, that also works as an anti sag bracket.

I’m not sure it’s worth the price premium over an NR200, which is already a very nice case. But if you are an enthusiast who enjoys building and optimizing your PC, the Dan C4 is a joy.

Animal fucked around with this message at 17:54 on Jun 19, 2023

kliras
Mar 27, 2021
so marketing at alphacool randomly asked if they could do a metal fan, and they ended up making a fan that overperforms the entire competition on accident

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ReGwlUGifN4

https://twitter.com/alphacool/status/1660600156754935808

(igor's lab performed the testing)

hopefully this checks out with no caveats, and we'll see a big change in cooling and case design as a result

could also be interesting for (modded) gpu cooling

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

Whoever suggested the metal fan in marketing will be insufferable for the forseeable future if the metal fan catches on.

Animal posted:

The C4 is so good. Just wait for the V2 that he announced. I just rebuilt in with a 7800X3D using the recommended Noctua NH-D12L, 140mm fan for exhaust, 4090 FE, and two NVME drives. It really is a joy to build in, the attention to detail and rigidity are great. My favorite part is the exhaust ramp to duct out hot air coming out of Founders Edition cards, that also works as an anti sag bracket.

I’m not sure it’s worth the price premium over an NR200, which is already a very nice case. But if you are an enthusiast who enjoys building and optimizing your PC, the Dan C4 is a joy.

Yeah I was smitten with the case. I do wonder how v2 will manage less volume when the 4090fe's connector was already having issues and a lot of 4090 aib's wouldn't fit. To me if anything volume should go up to allow for bigger cards and the dh15.

Coredump fucked around with this message at 16:59 on Jun 19, 2023

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

kliras posted:

so marketing at alphacool randomly asked if they could do a metal fan, and they ended up making a fan that overperforms the entire competition on accident

hopefully this checks out with no caveats, and we'll see a big change in cooling and case design as a result

I'm so excited for these to get independently tested, I will replace every fan I have with these for my next build. Just not sure if I want to go with the shiny nickel or matte black for a blackout build.

this allusion meant
Apr 9, 2006
presumably it’s the decoupled impellers and not the metal frame that does the magic? either way i am extremely owned as a noctua fanboy since they are incapable of doing a design in a sensible number of years

hopefully someone does a passable 92mm thin fan with this gimmick

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

this allusion meant posted:

presumably it’s the decoupled impellers and not the metal frame that does the magic? either way i am extremely owned as a noctua fanboy since they are incapable of doing a design in a sensible number of years

Apparently the metal itself also does tremendously to reduce the transmission of vibration from the fan to the frame.

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

this allusion meant posted:

I want one of the pc fan makers with all their research into impellers fan blade sciencey stuff to release a box fan sized fan for me to use in my office and change the blinky lights with bluetooth.

This but real: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pvdLey-8HTY

kliras
Mar 27, 2021
i literally ordered this yesterday lol

https://twitter.com/ARCTIChannel/status/1668590100731535360

plus version is wireless with pretty crazy battery hours

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

kliras posted:

Their claims sound way too good to be true. 10 decibels quieter with ~33% more airflow on average? Or around twice as much airflow at the same noise level of the next best? (eyeballed from those charts.) This is measuring only airflow, so what about static pressure? How is the fan mounted? Will there be metal-on-metal vibration sounds when mounted to a case? It should ideally be mounted with rubber washers or something, but then that could leave a gap between the fans and a radiator or heatsink. Those charts' numbers for the other models are also a bit odd. They're grouped together oddly close on the airflow chart but then are quite a bit separated on the noise chart. I dunno, I'd really like to see independent verification from multiple reviewers.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Coredump posted:

Whoever suggested the metal fan in marketing will be insufferable for the forseeable future if the metal fan catches on.
If they're in marketing they're already insufferable.

Lord Stimperor
Jun 13, 2018

I'm a lovable meme.

Making fans of metal sounds like something that draws a lot of power

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

Lord Stimperor posted:

The frame is metal :)

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

Can't wait for Linus to lose a finger testing one

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast

Lord Stimperor posted:

Just the frame. I'm getting Panaflo vibes

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

Collateral Damage posted:

If they're in marketing they're already insufferable.

True.

this allusion meant
Apr 9, 2006

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

Those charts' numbers for the other models are also a bit odd. They're grouped together oddly close on the airflow chart but then are quite a bit separated on the noise chart. I dunno, I'd really like to see independent verification from multiple reviewers.

it’s normal for the correspondence between airflow and rpm to be very similar across designs and noise/rpm to be more varied by fan design. however that fact just makes the alphacool claims about their own product more bizarre. beating the pack on noise at a given rpm is a plausible outcome of better absorption of unneeded vibrations into damping or whatever, but the airflow to rpm ratio implies a dramatically improved impeller effectiveness that shouldn’t be available low hanging fruit

it’s always exciting to see new fan gimmicks tho. liquid crystal polymers, counter-rotating, magnetic bearings, snap connections for easy chaining, etc.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

I can see it just having been glossed over due to the industry at large going "its just a fan how hard can it be"

unimportantguy
Dec 25, 2012

Just finished putting all the parts in my Terra and other than spending a while going :ohdear: at the thermal paste, everything went smoothly. The case is a dream to work in. My copy job to get data off my old computer is still running, and I don't have the space here to run both at the same time, so I won't be able to boot up for a while yet. Will report further when I can actually start the computer.

unimportantguy
Dec 25, 2012

Double posting to update a few hours later: computer now boots and it's so nice. It's surprisingly quiet all things considered as well. The build in the Terra was quite easy and fun and I would recommend it to anybody unless you really need a 7900X or a 4090 or similar sorts of setups.

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

I feel like the Terra would pair with an external radiator real well.

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

Double postin but anyone in the ATL area interested in a Fractal Ridge case for $50?

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!
any recommendations for a NUC that can run Batocera/Lakka for emulation alongside Plex Media Server?

The Batocera wiki suggests that NUCs can be hit or miss for compatibility

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Russ from Retro Game Corps tests Batocera on every mini PC he reviews and maintains a spreadsheet of performance that's pretty useful.

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!

njsykora posted:

Russ from Retro Game Corps tests Batocera on every mini PC he reviews and maintains a spreadsheet of performance that's pretty useful.
just what i was looking for. thank you!

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

I assume he has a review of the Minisforum UM790 Pro coming up soon, since that's on the sheet but doesn't have a video yet. That's the one I'm really looking at with its £500 barebones price.

E: Yep that's exactly what the hidden video I noticed in his mini PC's playlist was. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1V8En30psoE

njsykora fucked around with this message at 16:03 on Jul 16, 2023

ughhhh
Oct 17, 2012

After having built in the Ghost S1 for my partner, i fell in love with the sub 15l sandwich case style. Thinking of moving my current PC parts into a Dan A4 h20 or a FormD T1. I would ofc be switching from the d15 to a 240 rad of some sorts. I have had issues with the 13600k because i cant seem to figure out the bios settings and really havent had time to mess with it lately. Any advice on which case to choose/are there any other cases coming out soon that are similar to the A4 or T1 and can fit a cooler that can keep the 13600k running?

Current pc parts:

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: Intel Core i5-13600K 3.5 GHz 14-Core Processor
CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 82.5 CFM CPU Cooler
Motherboard: ASRock Z690M-ITX/ax Mini ITX LGA1700 Motherboard
Memory: Corsair Vengeance LPX 64 GB (2 x 32 GB) DDR4-3200 CL16 Memory
Storage: ADATA XPG SX8200 Pro 512 GB M.2-2280 PCIe 3.0 X4 NVME Solid State Drive
Storage: Western Digital Black SN770 1 TB M.2-2280 PCIe 4.0 X4 NVME Solid State Drive
Video Card: Zotac GAMING Trinity GeForce RTX 4070 Ti 12 GB Video Card
Case: Lian Li TU150 Mini ITX Desktop Case
Power Supply: EVGA SuperNOVA 850 GM 850 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular SFX Power Supply

sadly i know i cant keep things running properly or fit in the fractal terra.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

Titanium FormD T1 got delivered today :dogcited:

cant build in it until mid august cos I'm waiting for custom screws and for moddiy goodies :smith: