Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: fatherboxx)

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

https://twitter.com/annavellikok/status/1672523579248787457

ahh thats my country alright

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dog Friday
Feb 22, 2006
Apologies if this is an oversimplification of the whole thing, but does this essentially mean a civil war has broken out in Russia?

ummel
Jun 17, 2002

<3 Lowtax

Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/michaelh992/status/1672497439868084224

You can't write comedy this good.

MeinPanzer
Dec 20, 2004
anyone who reads Cinema Discusso for anything more than slackjawed trolling will see the shittiness in my posts

Dog Friday posted:

Apologies if this is an oversimplification of the whole thing, but does this essentially mean a civil war has broken out in Russia?

It’s perhaps a matter of definition, but there is a sizable faction (though how sizable is not clear) actively fighting against the government right now, yes. If this gets squashed within a day or two, I probably wouldn’t classify it as a civil war any more than the 2016 coup attempt in Turkey.

LochNessMonster
Feb 3, 2005

I need about three fitty

Between going to bed and Prigozhin making weird statements that probably are theater and waking up to 400+ new posts a lot has happened.

I’ve mostly lurked here to get a reliable news feed instead of the fake news, troll factory hellscape that’s twitter. I ran into @igorsushko and he’s making some crazy claims. Anyone know if this is just speculation or a more reliable account?

“Best case” scenario I guess would be Putin/Prigozhin both get rid of and we’ll get someone more stable in charge while they give back UA territories. Seems incredibly unlikely, but the past ~ 12 hours is also something absolutely nobody would’ve predicted so I guess there’s hope.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>
sushko is extremely unreliable

Dog Friday posted:

no this is just a sparkling insurrection

Sekenr
Dec 12, 2013

Dog Friday posted:

They will talk and reach some sort of agreement I THINK. But the entire concept of Putin adressing the mutineers to talk them down is huge, unprecedented

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

Good morning. Holy gently caress I guess it wasn't all talk.

Looks like all the PMCs are going fight even if the army is falling apart.

https://twitter.com/PjotrSauer/status/1672528583284211712

LochNessMonster
Feb 3, 2005

I need about three fitty

nimby posted:

I'm really curious how this is going to impact russian logistics into Ukraine. Prigozhin said he wants to let the military continue to run the war, but this has to have some pretty debilitating effects.

If they are indeed looting military bases, fortifying Rostov and moving to Moscow that’s quite a few weapons that aren’t going to be used in Ukraine.

I’d expect the logistic supply chain to Ukraine to be on hold for the time being.

boofhead
Feb 18, 2021

Herstory Begins Now posted:

no this is just a sparkling insurrection

it's just a Mundane Paramilitary Operation, nothing to get excited about

I hope Prigozhin is panicking hard and trying specifically to gain control over key logistical hubs/depots as leverage, and then it all gets blown up when negotiations fail

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

https://twitter.com/markito0171/status/1672527838325403650

Bug Squash
Mar 18, 2009

MeinPanzer posted:

This is my thinking now too. This has gone too far to be swept under the rug. At best Putin might hope for a purge as in Turkey post-2016 coup, but his power has been so closely tied to his absolute control of the state and military that it’s hard to envision that successfully reestablishing stability.

The post coup purges in Turkey also resulted in a catastrophic loss of competence from virtually all segments of the public service. It's one of the big contributors to Turkey's current state of ongoing disintegration. If Russia goes that route you get a tighter grip on power, yes, but it becomes less of a threat to it's neighbours.

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010

Chalks posted:

Good morning. Holy gently caress I guess it wasn't all talk.

Looks like all the PMCs are going fight even if the army is falling apart.

https://twitter.com/PjotrSauer/status/1672528583284211712

If true I bet that just causes more ethnic Russian regular army units in the area to side with Wagner

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 3 days!)

That could well be civilian as well as military, eek

Terebus
Feb 17, 2007

Pillbug
Prigozhin got provoked by the army and he's betting that it's weak enough and demoralized enough that it will mostly roll over or be too weak to put up any meaningful resistance.

He has a professional corps of his army that's been doing the war work for a while. Even though they fought hard in Bakmut, he would kept his veteran troops in reserve.

He's a proven victor to the Russians, and compared to the Russian MoD's continuous failiure, that looks great to the regular person and soldier. The Rus patriots exist, just like Trump fans exist, and they are tired of losing, along with the rank and file Russian soldier.

This is a calculated move by Prizgozin, who knows who will win. Wagner has the logistics to support tanks so that's serious enough. We'll see if Putin kept enough loyal guard in reserve and that his oligarch friends will bring their forces and influence to his side.

There's no winner here either, either way whoever keeps power is going to be more brutal after they win it.

Terebus fucked around with this message at 10:30 on Jun 24, 2023

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

https://twitter.com/Euan_MacDonald/status/1672531911921500162

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Gaz Posting Brigade :c00lbert:
Ghost tweet

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010
Wagner currently controls more of Russia, than Russia controls of Ukraine

https://twitter.com/WarFrontline/status/1672494897385861120

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 3 days!)

Got any armor for that roadblock, I wonder

Sekenr
Dec 12, 2013

Charlz Guybon posted:

If true I bet that just causes more ethnic Russian regular army units in the area to side with Wagner

This might well could be

MegaZeroX
Dec 11, 2013

"I'm Jack Frost, ho! Nice to meet ya, hee ho!"

https://twitter.com/wartranslated/status/1672536701997072384

quote:

"Regarding the betrayal of the Motherland, the President is deeply mistaken. We’re patriots of our Motherland. We fought and we are fighting, all fighters of PMC Wagner. And no one is going to surrender to the demands of the President, FSB, or anyone else. Because we don’t want the country to live further in corruption lies, and bureaucracy.

When we fought in Africa, we were told that we needed Africa, and then they dumped it, because they stole all the money that was meant to come for help.

When we were told we are fighting with Ukraine, we went and fought. But it turned out that the ammo, weapons, all money put towards this were also being stolen, while officials are sitting and saving them for themselves for an incident that happened today, when someone is going towards Moscow."

Now they are not saving anything, they are striking us with planes and helicopters at the columns with civilians. And they hit civilians because they’re missing. And they hit anywhere they can.

Thus, we are the patriots, but those resisting us today are those who gathered around scumbags.

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.
I read that Putin's security apparatus outnumbers the regular army by itself 2 to 1 so there's little chance Wagner poses any threat to Putin himself.

MegaZeroX
Dec 11, 2013

From Meduza:

quote:

Russian banks have abruptly raised foreign currency exchange rates. Many of them are trading U.S. dollars at more than 90 rubles, and euros at more than 100. RIA Novosti reports the highest U.S. dollar conversion rate of 105 rubles at Rosbank, which also trades euros as 115 rubles.

LochNessMonster
Feb 3, 2005

I need about three fitty

Would this total chaos be a good moment for a Ukrainian push or would it be better to wait and keep seeing how things unfold?

MegaZeroX
Dec 11, 2013

LochNessMonster posted:

Would this total chaos be a good moment for a Ukrainian push or would it be better to wait and keep seeing how things unfold?

Who knows? Ukraine's most ideal situation is that more of the army is forced to come back to deal with Wagner (or help them), but if that isn't going to happen, then now is the best time.

MeinPanzer
Dec 20, 2004
anyone who reads Cinema Discusso for anything more than slackjawed trolling will see the shittiness in my posts
There’s some videos circulating, unverified as far as I can tell, of a Wagner column around Voronezh with various armoures vehicles, including active Pantsir AA vehicles. I’d bet they’re bracing for a hot confrontation with the Air Force soon.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"
Ukraine is pushing, I just don't think they're tweeting about it that much right now.

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

WaltherFeng posted:

I read that Putin's security apparatus outnumbers the regular army by itself 2 to 1 so there's little chance Wagner poses any threat to Putin himself.

A lot of those are dressed up cops.

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004

LochNessMonster posted:

It's not total chaos yet, just a disruption. There's plenty of Russian troops on the front lines. So maybe a few probing attacks and applied pressure rather than a push.

Hoping that a big offensive will catch Putin in a kind of pincer is too much to ask for and a lot of wishful thinking.

Freudian slippers
Jun 23, 2009
US Goon shocked and appalled to find that world is a dirty, unjust place

Thanks, that's pretty interesting!

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

LochNessMonster posted:

Everything is happening fast, and there’s going to be a bunch of bullshit flying around. If there’s actual chaos it would be a good time, but you can’t commit to any sort of military op (even at the lowest levels) without at least trying to figure out if it’s for real, or a trap.

FishMcCool
Apr 9, 2021

lolcats are still funny
Fallen Rib
Well. That escalated quickly. :stare:

Also: thanks for the Kadyrov update, I was starting to wonder if he was still looking for his brother-in-law because we had heard from all the usual suspects except him.

boofhead
Feb 18, 2021

WaltherFeng posted:

I mean, it's not uncommon for armies of actual trained (but not necessarily veteran) soldiers to melt away when it comes to actual combat against a peer-level force. Security apparatuses are good at suppressing civilians but they're far more like cops than soldiers. I don't think it'll come to the point where they're engaged in an actual civil war with Wagner, but if they do then sheer numbers don't mean as much here as it might seem on paper

jarlywarly
Aug 31, 2018
Do they even have tanks and IFVs?

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:

LochNessMonster posted:

We'd need to know what the actual battlefield looks like right now to answer this, and we don't.

Adding some chaos on top of chaos is usually a good idea though. Adding pressure on a system under stress is good if you want it to break.

MeinPanzer
Dec 20, 2004
https://twitter.com/Feher_Junior/status/1672514118467694594?s=20

*Curb Your Enthusiasm theme begins playing*

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

Staluigi posted:

That one loving tank they had in reserve for the victory day parade gonna be doing serious duty trying to cover all of moscow from an assault

There's a company of T-34's and some immobile T-14 roadblocks

Sekenr
Dec 12, 2013

WaltherFeng posted:

The chance that they will fight each other in open battle is inconcievable . Yet Moscow gopniks with beatiful haircuts to be put against actual troops who seen battle, I will let you draw your own conclusions

MegaZeroX
Dec 11, 2013

https://twitter.com/wartranslated/status/1672540481497038849

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Dog Friday posted:

It's a matter of definition. A part of the military trying to oust the autocrat is a coup to me, while a civil war is more like whole factions of society fighting for control of the state.