Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CSM
Jan 29, 2014

56th Motorized Infantry 'Mariupol' Brigade
Seh' die Welt in Trummern liegen

Porfiriato posted:

I might have missed it but I don't recall hearing about this video previously?

https://www.nytimes.com/live/2023/06/24/world/russia-ukraine-news

https://twitter.com/KevinRothrock/status/1672481526632574976?t=Kyhm2v87ryyyLxb5yzwuFQ&s=19

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

Shade2142 posted:

Wagner shot a AN-26 out of the sky. They have alot of air defense in that column but airspace over Moscow is full of civvie airliners. This is going to be very bad.

Oh poo poo, that could be bad.

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 4 days!)

Shade2142 posted:

Wagner shot a AN-26 out of the sky. They have alot of air defense in that column but airspace over Moscow is full of civvie airliners. This is going to be very bad.

Il-22 reportedly, military

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!
400 new posts overnight? Ukraine must’ve had a major breakthrough. Let’s see how far they’ve…

Oh…

Ohhhhhhhh poo poo. :stare:

lol

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

Fivemarks posted:

Somehow, Palpatine Crassus returned.

crassus got molten gold poured down his throat in parthia

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!
was gonna post a Sushko tweet but thought better of it, suffice to say the make poo poo up levels are quite high on Twitter rn

e- some good Worldstar quality poo poo tho

https://twitter.com/WarMonitors/status/1672593480919445509

GD_American fucked around with this message at 14:18 on Jun 24, 2023

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!
ok doublepost but who doesn't love a good popcorn joke

https://twitter.com/Kateryna_Kruk/status/1672538147501096960

OctaMurk
Jun 21, 2013

AlternateNu posted:

400 new posts overnight? Ukraine must’ve had a major breakthrough. Let’s see how far they’ve…

Oh…

Ohhhhhhhh poo poo. :stare:

lol

Russia has achieved a massive breakthrough, but its not the one theyd hoped for

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>
ru telegram saying wagners spotted all the way in tula

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Herstory Begins Now posted:

ru telegram saying wagners spotted all the way in tula

Hopefully this means I'll be able to get cheap 7.62x54r again.

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010
First cup of coffee thoughts:

1. You can not just, “mount up a mechanized division” and relocate 300-500 km to a new base of operations and send a flying column 1000km in a couple of days. There was a lot of planning before the trigger was pulled. Fuel, food, vehicles, routes, timetables, who goes where, what SAM cover is allocated where, how do you communicate back to command, how do you communicate between columns and on, so much more.

2. The units who could have reacted the quickest, didn’t. It’s not clear yet how much help from regular MoD forces Wagner is getting but they are getting some. Those conversations had to have happened before Prig made any final decision to go otherwise this could have been a very short rebellion.

3. That said, We’re about a day into this now and if the active forces in the war zone rear areas haven’t started turning or showing their hand more than, “wait it out”. What they do in the next 24 to 72 hours is going to be telling. If it’s true that Russian Casualties are even higher than worst case western analysis and the strategic plan is and has been no more sophisticated than “Leroy Jenkins the front line” this could be really bad for Putin. ‘Our lives are being wasted due to incompetence’ reaching the active combat division and corp commander level doesn’t end well historically.

4. The deputy minister of defenses response seems to be, “I really wish you wouldn’t”? I can’t even wrap my head around what that means yet. Because that’s starting to sound like, “palace plot” with Wagner just being the external stimulus (see point 1). Edit: “We’re reasonable people having a discussion” lends legitimacy to Prig’s actions and concerns.

5. Onesie tuesie helo blocking attempts on the forward columns is not what you would call a coherent response and speaks to a lack of coordination from higher echelons.

Murgos fucked around with this message at 14:52 on Jun 24, 2023

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

https://twitter.com/AricToler/status/1672599611456774145

Deus Ex Macklemore
Jul 2, 2004

Zelensky's Zealots
Just when I thought today could not possibly get any better

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug
Is Putin still in Africa?

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May
I wonder if Ukrainian OPLANs included contingencies for a Russian coup attempt. Like, where to direct major operations and such.

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

CommieGIR posted:

Is Putin still in Africa?

https://twitter.com/christogrozev/status/1672578805842563073

Punished Ape
Sep 17, 2021
A while ago someone compared the Ukraine situation to Guy Fieri leading Blackwater and the US military in a failed invasion of Mexico and I think about that a lot.

I guess now Fieri has captured Houston and New Orleans and is beelining toward DC, challenging Lloyd Austin to personal combat.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Who would have thought that the risks of outsourcing services catering included 'armed revolt'.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006
I think we need to reevaluate the policy of keeping clancychat to a minimum.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003

Stultus Maximus posted:

I wonder if Ukrainian OPLANs included contingencies for a Russian coup attempt. Like, where to direct major operations and such.

they didn't seem to be caught off guard by it and arguably did more to signal boost it in the opening hours than literally anyone, particularly accounts that usually blast out the latest ukrainian messaging. also gonna point out that 'russia is at civil war' or 'is rapidly descending into one' has been a core ukrainian mod and intelligence point in their comm strategy for months. seems likely that they'd treated the possibility as real, especially as the wagner:shoigu conflict has been brewing very publicly for, what two months now? and it was clear that that was approaching an unresolvable situation.

i do wonder if they fathomed just how successful the first day of wagner's insurrection would be. in that position I don't think I would even dare to hope

Herstory Begins Now fucked around with this message at 15:15 on Jun 24, 2023

Deus Ex Macklemore
Jul 2, 2004

Zelensky's Zealots

Punished Ape posted:

A while ago someone compared the Ukraine situation to Guy Fieri leading Blackwater and the US military in a failed invasion of Mexico and I think about that a lot.

I guess now Fieri has captured Houston and New Orleans and is beelining toward DC, challenging Lloyd Austin to personal combat.

Bobby Flay's troops have just arrived in Cincinnati, ahead of Guy Fieri's. The battle for The One True Spaghetti is upon us.

OctaMurk
Jun 21, 2013

A.o.D. posted:

I think we need to reevaluate the policy of keeping clancychat to a minimum.

tom clancy would consider what's happening to be clancychat, this war has jumped the shark

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Alchenar posted:

Who would have thought that the risks of outsourcing services catering included 'armed revolt'.

Terry Pratchett posted:

“What about mercenaries?” said Boggis. “The problem with mercenaries,” said the Patrician, “is that they need to be paid to start fighting. And, unless you are very lucky, you end up paying them even more to stop.”

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Flyinglemur posted:

Bobby Flay's troops have just arrived in Cincinnati, ahead of Guy Fieri's. The battle for The One True Spaghetti is upon us.

Buh Gawd! That's Iron Chef Morimoto's music!

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

prediction: akhmat gets wiped out by the pan slavic wagner and russia regular turncoats who were all itching for that infight

dark brandon hits prig with an atacm and says "your welcome" to putin while wearing shades. putin gets really mad about it

putin cant fight a war or make number go up so he flees to chechnya WHERE kadyrov turns him into a bear rug and gets couped himself a year later

luka gets :commissar: from his generals

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Museums and other cultural centers in Moscow are being evacuated.

Even if this gets put down quickly, it's really weakened Putin's image of security and stability.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
true to form I am impressed that somehow I've already seen like 20 videos of the chechen column

bees everywhere
Nov 19, 2002

This has been getting progressively wilder and more Clancy-like, there is a literal renegade mercenary army en route to occupy Moscow right now. In a few hours we could be seeing headlines ripped from the plot of a Call of Duty game, like "Mercenaries Battle Spetznaz at Red Square", or how about "Kremlin Looted; 'I found the piss tape' says Wagner chief".

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

https://twitter.com/Heroiam_Slava/status/1672586075208810497

Uh wasn't there a plot of a 1995 movie about this

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret

bees everywhere posted:

This has been getting progressively wilder and more Clancy-like, there is a literal renegade mercenary army en route to occupy Moscow right now. In a few hours we could be seeing headlines ripped from the plot of a Call of Duty game, like "Mercenaries Battle Spetznaz at Red Square", or how about "Kremlin Looted; 'I found the piss tape' says Wagner chief".

Part of the back story of 2007’s Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare was a civil war in Russia against ultranationalists trying to basically return to the height of their Soviet power.

Deus Ex Macklemore
Jul 2, 2004

Zelensky's Zealots

bees everywhere posted:

"Нет русского"

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

The Peacemaker meets Broken Arrow

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U4evbJxGmxg

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

I was thinking more Crimson Tide than Joe Dirt

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

orange juche posted:

I feel like Joe Dirt is a more realistic depiction of what will happen if they get ahold of one, though.

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:
Wagner looting and releasing the piss tape would be the point where I go off the Internet for a month or so and, idk, start a garden and learn how to herd goats.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

psydude posted:

I feel like Joe Dirt is a more realistic depiction of what will happen if they get ahold of one, though.

Oh absolutely, a nuke will be remote disabled permanently if 12th GUMO is unable to defend the base. Sure you'd have plutonium pits in the wild which isn't good but they couldn't go bang.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Antigravitas posted:

Wagner looting and releasing the piss tape would be the point where I go off the Internet for a month or so and, idk, start a garden and learn how to herd goats.

no that's the point the internet turns golden

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010
https://www.pravda.com.ua/eng/news/2023/06/24/7408353/

Putin has fled Moscow?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

orange juche posted: