Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

lamentable dustman
Apr 13, 2007

🏆🏆🏆

I bought some roku gin after reading how good it is, Doesn't really taste like gin and I think it's kinda poo poo. More of a smooth flora flavored vodka. I prefer straight up seagrams tbh.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so
I like Roku, but it doesnt have that bite of most traditional Gins. I go between it and Aria depending on my mood.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
How come midori isn't used in Tiki? It seems a natural for the genre.

Man...Yellow Chartreuse is available in a few spots but is $. Found a 750 of green for $120. Jesus. I kinda want to find another bottle to squirrel away cuz of FOMO. But not at 120. Would rather get a El Dorado 21 for that amount.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.
Midori is used in tiki all the time. Or at least I use it all the time. The Basic Beach is the first cocktail that comes to mind, but in anything where the color of the drink matters Midori can be used to add a bit of that green/oceany tone. This works especially well in combination with blue curacao.

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Lost his leg in Robo War I
Anyone have experience with adding super juice to a batched drink? I cant imagine there will be any change in state for my use case, which is adding it less than four hours in advance, but Im curious if its as stable in a suspension as it is bottled in a fridge.

Edit: found an answer here. Seems like super juice can be added to a batched drink like any other fridge-stable ingredient. Game changer! I wouldnt be surprised if its actually better after being in suspension for a few hours, as tends to be the case for other batched ingredients.

Anonymous Robot fucked around with this message at 16:47 on Jun 17, 2023

bloody ghost titty
Oct 23, 2008

tHROW SOME D"s ON THAT BIZNATCH

Waltzing Along posted:

How come midori isn't used in Tiki? It seems a natural for the genre.

Man...Yellow Chartreuse is available in a few spots but is $. Found a 750 of green for $120. Jesus. I kinda want to find another bottle to squirrel away cuz of FOMO. But not at 120. Would rather get a El Dorado 21 for that amount.

Strega is a passable substitute for yellow chartreuse, in my experience.

Power of Pecota
Aug 4, 2007

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

I have a friend's birthday coming up and I could use some guidance on gin options. Their go-to brand is Gordon's, and I'm hoping to be able to pick something up that's like a $30-$50 higher-end version of that general style, bonus points for something newer. Any recommendations?

Kevin DuBrow
Apr 21, 2012

The uruk-hai defender has logged on.
Gordon's is a classic style that is very juniper and citrus-forward. Sipsmith fits that bill at a higher end.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

Power of Pecota posted:

I have a friend's birthday coming up and I could use some guidance on gin options. Their go-to brand is Gordon's, and I'm hoping to be able to pick something up that's like a $30-$50 higher-end version of that general style, bonus points for something newer. Any recommendations?

Junipero is a classic juniper-forward bottle that's very nice. If you wanna really show off, pick up a bottle of Old Raj. That's a nice overproof gin that packs a wallop and is fantastic stuff.

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

Nolet's Silver Dry Gin is great. Lots of strawberry and floral notes. Wonderful alone or in a gin and tonic. The stopper is modeled after a Bentleys shifter knob. Its substantial and heavy. Oddly enough, its one of the gins that I feel is always underpriced and overlooked.

Comb Your Beard
Sep 28, 2007

Chillin' like a villian.
Anybody here ever made berry wine before? I found some wild blackberries on a trail near my house. Plan is pick a lot in August or September when they're ripe. Have all very clean equipment. Macerate in sugar, add water. Add premier blanc wine yeast, wine acid, yeast nutrient, pectic enzyme, tannin. Do initial ferment in bucket covered by towel. Strain it off. Move to carboy with valve top. Let it go longer. Racking I guess? Aging?

Was reading this: https://practicalselfreliance.com/homemade-blackberry-wine/

I've never fermented anything before though.

Alucard
Mar 11, 2002
Pillbug
If you're not sterilizing the mixture in some way (boiling) you might want to get a yeast starter going first to speed up colonizing. Most fruit has natural yeast and bacteria on them that could yield funky flavors or make it go off if the wine yeast doesn't get a quick foothold.

Looks like that recipe has a boil step - follow it!

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

Comb Your Beard posted:

Anybody here ever made berry wine before? I found some wild blackberries on a trail near my house. Plan is pick a lot in August or September when they're ripe. Have all very clean equipment. Macerate in sugar, add water. Add premier blanc wine yeast, wine acid, yeast nutrient, pectic enzyme, tannin. Do initial ferment in bucket covered by towel. Strain it off. Move to carboy with valve top. Let it go longer. Racking I guess? Aging?

Was reading this: https://practicalselfreliance.com/homemade-blackberry-wine/

I've never fermented anything before though.
You can't really age fruit wine aka "Country wine" which is why you never see it on shelves. It lasts 3 months to a few years and it can randomly spoil at any point, which is why it's not really a commerical product

bloody ghost titty
Oct 23, 2008

tHROW SOME D"s ON THAT BIZNATCH
I enjoyed the River Cottage booze book; should probably get another copy now that I live in the country and not the city.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

Fart Car '97 posted:

You can't really age fruit wine aka "Country wine" which is why you never see it on shelves. It lasts 3 months to a few years and it can randomly spoil at any point, which is why it's not really a commerical product
________________/____________

Sandwich Anarchist fucked around with this message at 14:42 on Jun 24, 2023

Scythe
Jan 26, 2004
^^ lol.

--

I bought a bottle of Clairin Sajous today and it's delicious. Ti punch is gonna be on the aperitif menu for the next long while I think.

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

I made perfectly palatable mango wine in jerry can in west africa with red star wine yeast. You can make the blackberry wine I believe in you

prayer group
May 31, 2011

$#$%^&@@*!!!
Making a meaningful amount of wine will take more than "some wild blackberries on a trail", I think.

Alucard
Mar 11, 2002
Pillbug
You can just bulk it out with orange juice ketchup packets and prunes

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Sandwich Anarchist posted:

________________/____________

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IfL_PwWdNGU

Data Graham fucked around with this message at 23:28 on Jun 24, 2023

Qylvaran
Mar 28, 2010

prayer group posted:

Making a meaningful amount of wine will take more than "some wild blackberries on a trail", I think.

If they're in the Seattle area, then it's likely to be plenty. There are so many blackberries around here, just available for the taking, that it's kind of a problem.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

obi_ant posted:

I've recently been on a pretty heavy tequila exploration binge and I don't know why I've been ignoring this spirit. I tried a bunch of stuff from mixer quality, to put it on your wall like a trophy (don't do this) and I'm really enjoying the ride.

Ive avoided tequilas for twenty years because of a bad experience in college, but the recent Cambrian explosion of additive free tequilas has been wonderful

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

lamentable dustman posted:

I bought some roku gin after reading how good it is, Doesn't really taste like gin and I think it's kinda poo poo. More of a smooth flora flavored vodka. I prefer straight up seagrams tbh.

Roku, like Hendricks, is gin for people who dont like gin (or at least juniper)

I like it, but feel like its not a real gin

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat

eSports Chaebol posted:

Im pretty sure its actually cheaper than a soda stream lol. You just gotta find a place that will exchange/refill tanks but thats easier these days because theres a chance you can just go to a home brewing store instead of having to find an airgas place that takes walk ins

Been paying $20 at a local brewing shop to fill up a 5 lb tank, seems to last 1-2 years each. Upfront cost was $150 or so but over time its way cheaper than sodastream refills.

TengenNewsEditor
Apr 3, 2004

Steve Yun posted:

Roku, like Hendrick’s, is gin for people who don’t like gin (or at least juniper)

I like it, but feel like it’s not a real gin

In a martini (or neat) it's nice but a little wimpy, in a negroni it gets overshadowed, but it's amazing in a Singapore Sling.

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

Steve Yun posted:

Ive avoided tequilas for twenty years because of a bad experience in college, but the recent Cambrian explosion of additive free tequilas has been wonderful

A couple of my friends that would bring over "nice" tequila and I never was able to gravitate towards them. Looking back, it's stuff like Patron or Corralejo or Don Juilo. Having been bitten by the bug recently, there are *so* many good cheaper alternatives. I'm glad I have a few friends that work in the liquor and wine industry. Although it seems like my interest in the spirit is at some sort of peak (looking at a bunch of celebrity owned brands).

Power of Pecota
Aug 4, 2007

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

Steve Yun posted:

Roku, like Hendricks, is gin for people who dont like gin (or at least juniper)

Honestly if Hendrick's branded like this I'd have realized i liked it a lot earlier

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
I feel like trying reposado tequila and mezcal somehow unlocked my ability to also enjoy blanco tequila. Like I can better detect that unique flavor component now. It rules

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!
On the topic of tequila, my wife has requested a nice bottle of tequila for her push present for having out daughter.
She prefers reposados, tends to drink on ice with a squeeze of lime and maybe a splash of soda water but that's it. Nicest bottle we have stocked is the Clase Azul Reposado which was heavenly. Her go to for every day drinking is Casamigos Reposado.

Any recommendations on a really nice bottle? I don't really want to drop $500+ but I wouldn't be opposed to something in the $300ish range.

JUST MAKING CHILI
Feb 14, 2008
Tears of Llorona, and come back with tasting notes.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

couldcareless posted:

On the topic of tequila, my wife has requested a nice bottle of tequila for her push present for having out daughter.
She prefers reposados, tends to drink on ice with a squeeze of lime and maybe a splash of soda water but that's it. Nicest bottle we have stocked is the Clase Azul Reposado which was heavenly. Her go to for every day drinking is Casamigos Reposado.

Any recommendations on a really nice bottle? I don't really want to drop $500+ but I wouldn't be opposed to something in the $300ish range.

Zafiro Anejo.

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

couldcareless posted:

At that price point youre going to be looking at mostly anejos. At least from my experience anyway.

Fuenteseca Reserva 7, 8 or 9; Ive had their lower end stuff. But I assume theyre all good

Tears of Llorona Extra Aejo (although for that price you should just get the ArteNom which is very close)

As someone coming from bourbon, I dont feel like you need to spend that much for a great quality bottle. Your dollars go much further in the tequila world. Although why is a different conversation. Is she into blancos at all?

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!

obi_ant posted:

Is she into blancos at all?

I believe she has had some blancos she likes, but they are few and far between.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

+1 on the Clase Azul by the way, the bottle flex is kind of a gimmick but it's genuinely good stuff

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

couldcareless posted:

I believe she has had some blancos she likes, but they are few and far between.

Fortaleza, Mijenta, Siete Leguas Decades, G4 make some top quality blancos. Tequila Ocho makes a killer blanco too, I assume their repo would be outstanding too.

Fortaleza makes a good repo, but it's harder to find than their blanco and anejo.

I have a bottle of La Gritona Repo, which I hear very good things about. But I don't think they're additive free compared to the other ones mentioned, if you care about that sort of thing.

prayer group
May 31, 2011

$#$%^&@@*!!!
Clase Azul is notorious for being loaded with additives. Like what you like, I won't stand in the way of anyone's good time, but the flavor of Clase Azul (and Casamigos, and plenty of others) is primarily vanilla, caramel, and oak flavorings, as well as artificial sweeteners like sucralose.

Taking the time to really develop an appreciation of the actual flavor of agave is worthwhile, but if she's really into the flavored stuff and she just birthed one of your children, now is probably not the time for someone like me to get all "well actually" about her tastes. Get her some Clase Azul.

The Chad Jihad
Feb 24, 2007

What separates a spagett from a camparty

edit: wait the sphagett might be aperol and lemon

prayer group
May 31, 2011

$#$%^&@@*!!!
correct, yes

Strange Matter
Oct 6, 2009

Ask me about Genocide
Tried Roku gin the other day at my wife's request.

Meh.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

I'm glad so many of you don't like Roku, I feel less alone.

I tried making lemongrass syrup. It doesn't work for me, I'm not sure why. I love lemongrass and lemongrass heavy food like bun bo hue but this stuff just made my cocktail taste like a cleaning product.