Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

I don't understand how that is possible. I learned touch typing in school, but I didn't learn Dwarf Fortress key commands in school. If you asked me what is the command to build a coffin in Dwarf fortress I might not know, but if I try to build a coffin without thinking about it my fingers automatically hit b/f/x. After a while I get board and go away for a couple years until the next big release, at which point I don't remember any of the commands, but my fingers still do. Spooky.

If you do something all the time you just kinda learn how to do it.

Facebook Aunt has a new favorite as of 23:13 on Jun 23, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chainclaw
Feb 14, 2009

This generation is hosed when the zombies show up. You gotta type fast to take them down.

sarcastx
Feb 26, 2005

Anyone else CJ a Mac office?
You could do some hilarious poo poo with Apple Remote Desktop - one of my favorite things to do was to use the Send Command feature on the poor unsuspecting staff who were in the office at odd hours.

In Mac OS you could send the command "say" and the machine would use its text to speech engine to announce whatever you said - so now imagine you're at the office, it's 9pm, and every computer on the floor (maybe three dozen computers) simultaneously announce "GO HOME, CLAIRE" to you

fullerene
Apr 29, 2022

mdemone posted:

I love it when my students challenge me to a typing game

Get rekt fuckos

Yeah my students can't type for poo poo, even though they've spent their entire lives using a keyboard of one sort or another

I learned how to touch type the traditional way: Vampire roleplaying MUDs

Mauser
Dec 16, 2003

How did I even get here, son?!

mdemone posted:

I love it when my students challenge me to a typing game

Get rekt fuckos

Is typing not a thing that folks do anymore now that everyone's on smartphones? Most of my coworkers are Africans with families and typing and technology is a struggle for the older folks or second nature for younger crew that's more my age and more involved in graphic design or research

Domus
May 7, 2007

Kidney Buddies

fullerene posted:

Yeah my students can't type for poo poo, even though they've spent their entire lives using a keyboard of one sort or another

I learned how to touch type the traditional way: Vampire roleplaying MUDs

It was just fantasy MUDs for me, but dear god did the seven hours a day I’d play on them over Summer break end up with a fruitful side effect. If only I had to type “attack skeleton” for work, I’d be even faster. My boss occasionally stares with wonder at my fingers when I type, and I have to start my Before World of Warcraft speech.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

fullerene posted:

I learned how to touch type the traditional way: Typing of the Dead on the Dreamcast

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Chainclaw posted:

This generation is hosed when the zombies show up. You gotta type fast to take them down.

Looks like the concert scene from Revenge of the Nerds.

fullerene
Apr 29, 2022

Domus posted:

It was just fantasy MUDs for me, but dear god did the seven hours a day I’d play on them over Summer break end up with a fruitful side effect. If only I had to type “attack skeleton” for work, I’d be even faster. My boss occasionally stares with wonder at my fingers when I type, and I have to start my Before World of Warcraft speech.

The RP ones expected you to converse in full sentences, with proper spelling and grammar, so I learned to type really fast, but it means that when I make a typo I go back and edit it manually instead of using spellcheck afterwards.

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49
https://twitter.com/theserfstv/status/1671998252504477701?s=46&t=uIYXo6D1VLDVORZacaJ4eQ

Mauser
Dec 16, 2003

I learned typing the traditional way: poo poo talking people in a counter strike server as fast as possible to get back to shooting

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret

Mauser posted:

I learned typing the traditional way: poo poo talking people in a counter strike server as fast as possible to get back to shooting

:same: but Delta Force 2

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

Pookah posted:

The one location I remember took the owner hours to work out - the phone was hidden in the ceiling. It was one of those foam tiles ceilings that every office uses, so he just had to dislodge one, hide the phone and push the tile back in place.
The foam tile made the ringtone really diffuse, so you could tell the phone was close, but not where it was.

Was his name Andy Bernard, and did he punch a hole in the wall when he couldn't find his ringing phone?

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR

Mauser posted:

Same, but also just riffing jokes with my buddies in MSN Messenger. My typing form is pretty bad but I'm fast as gently caress and ruthless on the keys, boi.

Something else is that I can usually even continue typing accurately while looking away and having my attention somewhere else, like at a friend who is telling me something. This seems to creep some people out.

Mauser
Dec 16, 2003

fartknocker posted:

:same: but Delta Force 2

Hell yeah I remember playing that game. I don't think I poo poo talked anybody, but I remember satchel charging buildings and arcing in extreme range sniper shots.

Dillbag
Mar 4, 2007

Click here to join Lem Lee in the Hell Of Being Cut To Pieces
Nap Ghost
Some computer toucher in I think it was the the schadenfreude thread bragged about pranking their new/junior coworkers by slightly unplugging their PC's CMOS chip or something like that, and then ridiculing them when they couldn't diagnose the problem after 2 days. That was real lame. Screen shots + hidden icons or tape over the mouse laser is harmless and funny, though. So is the air horn under the office chair that goes off when someone sits down.

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:

Facebook Aunt posted:

If you do something all the time you just kinda learn how to do it.

I have plenty of evidence to the contrary looking at all the boomers who have been working on a computer 8 hours a day for the last two or three decades and still hunt and peck.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

i touchedtyped your moms

all up in the azerty

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

CzarChasm posted:

Reminds me of one of my early jobs out of school. Very small, family owned business. I was allowed to put up a custom desktop, and not being any major poo poo stirrer, I decided on something that was fun but safe. Or so I thought. One day I get pulled in to HR because someone thought the image was "offensive" or "obscene". Keep in mind that this is a company of about 20 people, most of them over 50, and most of those related to the CEO. I was asked to change it to something else, so I just went with a solid color. What was the offending image?

Why do you think it's called the Satellite of Love? :awesome:

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.
in my first internship, there was a guy in his late 30s, early 40s. this was 10-15 years ago, so i guess genX. couldnt touch type. didnt seem to understand the concept. there was a mechanical keyboard that i found which had some sort of iso layout with a few caps in weird places, idk maybe german? anyway, he told me it was hosed up cause they keys didnt do the right thing, but i told him if you ignore the caps and just type normally it worked fine. he didn't understand what i meant, like how can you use a keyboard without re-discovering which key is where each time? anyway, he was one of the two programmers at this embedded device startup. idk how that kind of thing happens, but apparently it does.

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.
i learned the terrible form i have today by trying to keep up with my friends in AIM in high school. i was hunting and pecking, but kept falling behind in the conversation so i would peck faster and faster until i didn't need to look anymore, then started adding more fingers to the mix. home row prescriptivism never worked for me, but brain still did the thing.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

its weird cause my dad could touch type in the 80s early 90s, i saw him do it many times, and also copy paste with keyboard shortcuts. but since only ten years later hes like peck peck right click.

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

Nowhere I've ever worked has given a poo poo about leaving the computer unlocked. Though I've started locking mine because you weirdos have gotten into my head

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

Hyperlynx posted:

Nowhere I've ever worked has given a poo poo about leaving the computer unlocked. Though I've started locking mine because you weirdos have gotten into my head

Too late, I am in your computer now, installing a Magic the Gathering Windows theme pack

How's it feel having a sword for a mouse cursor, fool

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:
Someone mildly savvy having a few minutes of access to my work PC unlocked is a nightmare scenario, especially so if my password manager is unlocked.

Like, "everyone gets to change their passwords, all keys revoked" nightmare.

Scratch Monkey
Oct 25, 2010

👰Proč bychom se netěšili🥰když nám Pán Bůh🙌🏻zdraví dá💪?

davidspackage posted:

fullerene
Apr 29, 2022

davidspackage posted:

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
President, Founder of the Brent Spiner Fan Club

What browser has such a gnarled looking pointy-hand cursor?

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

i think that's mickey mouse's glove

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
Of course the dragon scimitar cursor has a virus it has curse right in the name

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
Seriously gonna start calling computers with viruses cursed from now on, for most people (myself included) they may as well be

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.
"Possessed" could work too.

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

My dang 'puters done gotten electrocursed!!!

Send_Ninjas
Oct 10, 2006
I've always been preferential to haunted.

That computers for Poltergeist, German ghosts are the worst for computers.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
President, Founder of the Brent Spiner Fan Club
hax0rz never sl@@p

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eeK1N2Bbtrw

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

Carthag Tuek posted:

its weird cause my dad could touch type in the 80s early 90s, i saw him do it many times, and also copy paste with keyboard shortcuts. but since only ten years later hes like peck peck right click.

Getting old sucks. My coordination with tools, working on cars, manipulating small nuts & bolts in blind/tight places etc. is still fine, but my home-grown typing skills have gone to poo poo.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

I used to be able to type 100 wpm accurately but despite typing every day of my life I have definitely gotten less accurate and slowed down a bunch.

Kevin Bacon
Sep 22, 2010

i can tuyope 100 wpom no propblem

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zetsubou-san
Jan 28, 2015

Cruel Bifaunidas demanded that you [stand]🧍 I require only that you [kneel]🧎

Hyperlynx posted:

What's a "booner"? :confused:

students of the master :boonie:

e :lol gently caress shouda kept scrolling