Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who Killed WCW?
Eric Bischoff
Hulk Hogan
Vince Russo
Jerusalem
View Results

Hoss Corncave
Feb 13, 2012

Edge & Christian posted:

The following week, Scott Steiner and Jeff Jarrett act as if this was all part of their plan, and they're cheering on Vince Russo. They declare that it's going to be a CAGE MATCH, which suits Booker fine because there will be no interference.

In the actual match, there is interference rom Mike Awesome, the Filthy Animals, the Misfits in Action, the Jung Dragons, Kwee-Wee, Lex Luger, Ric Flair, the Natural Born Thrillerz, Scott Steiner, and finally Goldberg, who spears Russo through the cage right as Booker T is escaping.

I'll always remember this match because of all the people on the outside stopping Russo from escaping and then Russo trying to escape through the roof while Mike Awesome climbed up the cage and Sting came down from the rafters to stop him and patrol the roof of the cage which made me laugh.

Steiner jabbing Booker with the pipe through the cage always made me laugh too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.
https://twitter.com/vintagepuro/status/1672096431769780225

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

This exemplifies why WCW was so frustrating to watcch.
In ring there is a cool match. Fun, colourful, lotsa movement and excitement.
One commentator trying to get the other into it with "ooh"s and "ahhs" and "Gosh this is exciting and new" etc.
But the other is talking about Hulk Hogan and the nWo and what those boring old men may or may not have to do 1 hour later in the show.

haljordan
Oct 22, 2004

the corpse of god is love.

Didn't Rey Mysterio sell like, a zillion masks when he jumped ship to WWE? And like, nobody from WCW creative had any idea what to do with him (or any other cruiserweight really).

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

Ah come on, they knew what Rey needed. His mask removed and little devil horns!

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

haljordan posted:

Didn't Rey Mysterio sell like, a zillion masks when he jumped ship to WWE? And like, nobody from WCW creative had any idea what to do with him (or any other cruiserweight really).

"Nobody has ever drawn a dime wearing a mask" Vince Russo mutters because hes an idiot

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

WWE got him to remask as they knew it was more marketable but they also undercut his world title run as they never thought he could be the guy cause he was too small

syzpid
Aug 9, 2014

SatoshiMiwa posted:

WWE got him to remask as they knew it was more marketable but they also undercut his world title run as they never thought he could be the guy cause he was too small

He also looked like a child without the mask on, you couldn't take him seriously at all.

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 13 hours!
love to see a maskless rey mysterio looking like a teenager next to the giant wrestlers

haljordan
Oct 22, 2004

the corpse of god is love.

syzpid posted:

He also looked like a child without the mask on, you couldn't take him seriously at all.

This is true, I can still remember watching the match where Kevin Nash pulled it off him and tried to put it on his own giant melon head.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,

SatoshiMiwa posted:

They also got him heavily on roads and he looked boxy, lost a lot of his agility, and became a worse wrestler. He did it all to match WWEs ideal and it was still not good enough.

He got better due to Lucha Underground of all things where he lost a lot of his size and got stem cells for his knees.

iamsosmrt
Jun 14, 2008

Lid posted:

They also got him heavily on roads and he looked boxy, lost a lot of his agility, and became a worse wrestler. He did it all to match WWEs ideal and it was still not good enough.

He got better due to Lucha Underground of all things where he lost a lot of his size and got stem cells for his knees.

To be fair, I think it's been good enough. He's had a really long career, much of which was upper mid card, albeit with a couple of questionable world title runs, but that puts him above the vast majority of wrestlers over the past couple of decades. Considering his height, it's a pretty big statement that he wasn't relegated to catering or purely joke status.

Even Dominic getting a chance/push is high praise for how much the fed actually values him.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

iamsosmrt posted:

To be fair, I think it's been good enough. He's had a really long career, much of which was upper mid card, albeit with a couple of questionable world title runs, but that puts him above the vast majority of wrestlers over the past couple of decades. Considering his height, it's a pretty big statement that he wasn't relegated to catering or purely joke status.

Even Dominic getting a chance/push is high praise for how much the fed actually values him.

Not only that, they didn't give up on him, which they've certainly done in the past

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 6 days!
I'm enjoying the Ron garvin and Ric Flair feud much more than the dusty/Ric feuds.

I've read a bunch of stuff about Garvin and a lot of people seemed to not like him? I don't get it. He puts on a great show in the ring and while ron is a bit stiff in the promos, ron has an earnest intensity in the interviews that a lot of wrestlers do not have

Lurks With Wolves
Jan 14, 2013

At least I don't dance with them, right?

Mr Hootington posted:

I'm enjoying the Ron garvin and Ric Flair feud much more than the dusty/Ric feuds.

I've read a bunch of stuff about Garvin and a lot of people seemed to not like him? I don't get it. He puts on a great show in the ring and while ron is a bit stiff in the promos, ron has an earnest intensity in the interviews that a lot of wrestlers do not have

For this specific program, I'm willing to bet a lot of the distaste for it is that he's a midcard guy feuding with the top guy for backstage reasons. (And because I don't know how much you know, I'm putting the rest of this in spoilers.)

Ultimately, being a belt pillow is a weird look for anyone, and it just gets worse when they don't care about making you look good long-term. Especially not when you're the transitional champ between an all-time great champion and the that champion, again.

Also, after he left WCW, his career consisted of two years being weirdly stiff in WWE and a lot of time randomly showing up in the wasteland that is the post-1990 independent scene, and he's already in his mid-40s in the feud you're watching now. He's just one of those guys who weren't being reliably recorded until they were old and beaten down by decades of wrestling, so modern fans get a lopsided view of his ability as a performer.

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo
new Hogan raft dropped

https://twitter.com/GaryCappetta/status/1674299971955245065

Hedgehog Pie
May 19, 2012

Total fuckin' silence.
If only the WCW bowling balls could have knocked down the competition.

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

Hedgehog Pie posted:

If only the WCW bowling balls could have knocked down the competition.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
I want a bowling ball that looks like Goldberg's head.

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

drat I’d love one of those bowling bowls, hopefully someone’s got a spare

syzpid
Aug 9, 2014
Nothing compares to Late 90s bowling alleys. The cloud of smoke that waffed over from the 10 "smoking lanes" covering the 10 non-smoking lanes. The smell of stale, overpriced beer. The "restaurant" whose menu was ellio's pizza, nachos with cheese and hot dogs that have been in the warmer for an eternity. Oh and maybe stale, rock hard, pretzels.

Definitely makes me think of WCW.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

We can hold out hope there is a Sting ball.

Drakkel
May 6, 2007

IT'S LIKE I CAN TOUCH YOU!
The Kevin Nash ball never comes out of the dispenser unless he's going over all the pins

Writer Cath
Apr 1, 2007

Box. Flipped.
Plaster Town Cop
I'm not sure if this thread's for me anymore. Maybe it's time to 7/10 split.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
https://www.ebay.com/itm/155454437651

Hedgehog Pie
May 19, 2012

Total fuckin' silence.
Guttered I can't put an offer in.

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT
Talk about a pinfall! :haw:

Erainor
Dec 30, 2017

THUNDERDOME LOSER
The Wife bought the Nitro game. Why in the world did they go with Buff Bagwell of All people on the cover?

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

Erainor posted:

The Wife bought the Nitro game. Why in the world did they go with Buff Bagwell of All people on the cover?

Because he's the stuff, and the girls just can't get enough

haunted bong
Jun 24, 2007

zetamind2000 posted:

Because he's the stuff, and the girls just can't get enough

Many have said this

Erin M. Fiasco
Mar 21, 2013

Nothing's better than postin' in the morning!

"You didn't get Goldberg, and you didn't get Sting, but you got Buff, and he's the Stuff!" is possibly the funniest wrestling story this side of The Iggy AKA The Office so that alone justifies his cover star status.

Hedgehog Pie
May 19, 2012

Total fuckin' silence.
Well, let's do a poll to see who the people want to see on the cover. Buff Bagwell up? Buff Bagwell down?

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

Hedgehog Pie posted:

Well, let's do a poll to see who the people want to see on the cover. Buff Bagwell up? Buff Bagwell down?

Buff Bagwell... stuff?

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
Learning about WCW history.

https://twitter.com/TommyIsBS/status/1674843248508928002

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
I had no idea that a member of the Misfits was married to Gorgeous George for like 12 years.

Nystral
Feb 6, 2002

Every man likes a pretty girl with him at a skeleton dance.

I vaguely remember the misfits in wcw, but for some reason I had always labeled it as Jerry only.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Nystral posted:

I vaguely remember the misfits in wcw, but for some reason I had always labeled it as Jerry only.

Yeah, this was right before even Doyle left to do his own thing.

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Dawgstar posted:

Yeah, this was right before even Doyle left to do his own thing.

Which ultimately resulted in the band "Gorgeous Frankenstein"

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

Angry_Ed posted:

Which ultimately resulted in the band "Gorgeous Frankenstein"

That sounds like a tremendous wrestling gimmick.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

haljordan posted:

Even better than that, they repeatedly insisted he lose the mask because they figured it was impossible to get a masked wrestler over and that nobody could possibly care about it. How can you be so out of touch with wrestling fans? Parents would have bought a billion replica masks for their kids, and they could've sold higher quality (and way higher price) masks to adult fans. People loving love masks!

It's absolutely incredible how bad the WCW leadership was.

But the ultimate best evidence of them being godawful will always be Bret Hart. When Bret jumped ship, he was probably the most talked about wrestler in the world and they had the easiest layup in the history of the world in making him their top babyface. But instead they did nothing with him and shortly afterwards turned him heel. When Owen died, they once again had the world's easiest undeserved layup, but because Bret was a heel in their plans and THOSE PLANS WILL NOT BE CHANGED, they once again kept him off TV intentionally.