Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: weg, Toxic Mental)

Nelson Mandingo
Mar 27, 2005

pro starcraft loser posted:

lol anything Putin gives Wager will be a complete and total defeat for Putin.

Absolutely. This is literally just a single step above Wagner entering and taking Moscow in bad outcomes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

MegaZeroX posted:

Completely unconfirmed telegram rumor going around that negotiation between Wagner command and Russian state is happening.

this whole thing was a ploy to go "see Ukraine, the negotiating table isn't so hard!"

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

I've spent many hours reading this thread (history in real time after all), and am super impressed with the real time updates, videos, links, and topical analysis. Incredibly informative.

ronya
Nov 8, 2010

I'm the normal one.

You hate ridden fucks will regret your words when you eventually grow up.

Peace.
CGTN coverage that is not just TASS wire reprints:

https://news.cgtn.com/news/2023-06-24/Wagner-mercenary-group-turns-against-Russia-What-we-know-so-far-1kU27bJ9bsA/index.html

Interestingly, quite ambivalent in its coverage!

quote:

Authorities in Russia are urging residents to stay at home and canceling public events on Saturday as the Wagner private military group led what Russia called a mutiny against the Moscow defense establishment.

Wagner chief Yevgeny Prigozhin announced earlier that his Wagner fighters had crossed the border into Russia's Rostov from Ukraine and were prepared to go "all the way" against Moscow's military.

Here is what we know so far on the latest situation in Russia.

What Prigozhin said?

The Wagner Group is a private army of mercenaries that has been fighting alongside the regular Russian army in Ukraine.

However, Prigozhin on Friday accused the Russian military of "destroying" his fighters, without fully explaining his accusation, and vowed to stop what he called the "evil" of the military leadership.

The Russian Defense Ministry has denied such allegations.

Prigozhin has been criticizing Russia's top military leaders, namely Sergei Shoigu, the defense minister, and General Valery Gerasimov, the head of Russia's armed forces, accusing them of incompetence over the military effort in Ukraine and of starving his troops of weapons and ammunition.

The Wagner chief said Saturday his fighters captured the army headquarters in Russia's Rostov-on-Don "without firing a single shot" and claimed to have the support of locals.

How Russia responded?

Russian President Vladimir Putin said in an emergency televised address on Saturday that an "armed mutiny" by the Wagner private military group was treason, and that anyone who had taken up arms against the Russian military would be punished.

Prigozhin responded that the president "was deeply mistaken" in calling him a traitor, saying that members of the private military group are "patriots."

Putin ordered the Russian Armed Forces to neutralize those who organized the armed rebellion of the Wagner group.

Russia's FSB security service has opened a criminal case against Prigozhin for calling for an armed mutiny.

naem
May 29, 2011

are we all dead yet

Domattee
Mar 5, 2012

Wee posted:

Kadyrov entering Rostov

They've been entering rostov for the past three hours.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

StoryTime posted:

Go and watch anime instead of trying to make sense of this is just good advice. Anime will make more sense. Nobody has or is able to attain a whole picture of the shitshow going on, and nobody ever will. The annals of history about this period in time will be like LOL WTF.

lmao history is being written before your eyes and your recommendation is to watch anime? what's wrong with people

free hubcaps
Oct 12, 2009

naem posted:

are we all dead yet

buddy we've been dead all along

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

This all seems like a nothingburger to me

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

steinrokkan posted:

lmao history is being written before your eyes and your recommendation is to watch anime? what's wrong with people

Anime is also history being written before your eyes

free hubcaps
Oct 12, 2009

to take your mind off this terrible war everyone should go watch Grave of the Fireflies right now

Katamari Democracy
Jan 19, 2010

Guess what! :love:
Guess what this is? :love:
A Post, Just for you! :love:
Wedge Regret
I see no anime around here.

naem
May 29, 2011

free hubcaps posted:

buddy we've been dead all along

Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn

KitConstantine
Jan 11, 2013

Imagine being a citizen of the imperial core during a foreign adventure safely far away and you get this call
https://twitter.com/clashreport/status/1672641154716663808?t=sYK_ST_TncKszZ8gNVM3aA&s=19

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Katamari Democracy posted:

I see no anime around here.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

I realize this was a decade ago, but what was the reason for believing that the Tupolev that left Moscow yesterday had Putin on it?

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

How 'bout them hawks news huh!
Was reminded of one of my favourite responses to one of my tweets:

https://twitter.com/johngalvano/status/1420613810361098248?s=46&t=G1x8XWIwrNxUQoXItlkh2w

Terminally Bored
Oct 31, 2011

Twenty-five dollars and a six pack to my name

Arsenic Lupin posted:

I realize this was a decade ago, but what was the reason for believing that the Tupolev that left Moscow yesterday had Putin on it?

It left a trail of rancid poo poo behind

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

Arsenic Lupin posted:

I believe it's because it was the equivalent of Air Force One.

And you wouldn't have that thing leave without the president on it as it's essentially his last bastion.

OctaMurk
Jun 21, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!

KitConstantine posted:

Imagine being a citizen of the imperial core during a foreign adventure safely far away and you get this call
https://twitter.com/clashreport/status/1672641154716663808?t=sYK_ST_TncKszZ8gNVM3aA&s=19

this coup attempt is insane and risky but seems very well planned for what resources prigozhin did have available. March a column of hundreds of vehicles and thousands of troops 1000 kilometers in a day and have robocalls set up to support your entry into the capitol just as you arrive

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

KitConstantine posted:

Kind of. Turns out starting a job with actual responsibilities cuts into the posting time

Congrats on the new job. :tipshat:

------

Dear gods, not seen this thread thread move this fast in nine or so months, catching up is hard.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

StoryTime posted:

Go and watch anime instead of trying to make sense of this is just good advice. Anime will make more sense. Nobody has or is able to attain a whole picture of the shitshow going on, and nobody ever will. The annals of history about this period in time will be like LOL WTF.

no

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

OctaMurk posted:

this coup attempt is insane and risky but seems very well planned for what resources prigozhin did have available. March a column of hundreds of vehicles and thousands of troops 1000 kilometers in a day and have robocalls set up to support your entry into the capitol just as you arrive

Some are saying he started planning it two months ago. Which sounds suspicious, but would line up with his previously puzzling history of escalating anti-Moscow tirades, and would also explain why the hell he was spending all his time in Ukraine instead of leading from his dacha like every other Russian commander.

TGLT
Aug 14, 2009

StoryTime posted:

The ghost of Dong Zhuo has possessed Prigozhin. There, easy, solved and explained and understood.

kecske
Feb 28, 2011

it's round, like always

do not pursue Lu Bu Yevgeny Prigozhin 

Automata 10 Pack
Jun 21, 2007

Ten games published by Automata, on one cassette

bvj191jgl7bBsqF5m posted:

Is there a place where I can learn about what the heck is going on because I asked in the smart politics forum for leftist intellectuals, and they replied with anime videos and I think many of them have the bad kind of brain diseases. Can GBS prove once and for all it has the good kind of brain diseases by telling me what is happening and who the people involved are because I've been really busy at the gym lately
Russia is invading Ukraine with it’s own military and the “Wagner Group” neo-nazi mercenaries that recruit prisoners.

Russia uses the Wagner Group as very disposable soldiers. For example, they’ll toss them in the front lines and then bomb both them and the Ukrainians.

The Wagner Group, sick of this poo poo, decided that they’re better off usurping the Russian military and are now engaged in a civil war with Russia. They have captured two cities so far and are moving towards Moscow. Putin has fled(?)

This is most likely the beginning of the end of the Ukraine war. The leadership of the Russian military in Ukraine is in chaos and they lost the support of the Wagner Group. At this point I expect a lot of surrendering.

Automata 10 Pack fucked around with this message at 17:55 on Jun 24, 2023

pro starcraft loser
Jan 23, 2006

Stand back, this could get messy.

Throwing your entire military at an invasion so hard it bounces off and hits you in the face.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

Oh man when did we get a GBS thread for this back? I’ve been in the CSPAM one since things got closed and sent over there a bit back.

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004

Warbird posted:

Oh man when did we get a GBS thread for this back? I’ve been in the CSPAM one since things got closed and sent over there a bit back.

March 6 is the date of the OP my dude

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Warbird posted:

My condolences.

This one's been back for ages and there's a normal one in D&D too.

HKR
Jan 13, 2006

there is no universe where duke nukem would not be a trans ally

Warbird posted:

get out of your bookmarks and into the forum index my friend

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

WE GET IT. YOU LOVE GUN JESUS. Toujours des fusils Bullpup Français.
All of the relatively fast and easy progress made by Wagner is also almost certainly due to what resistance there could be to stop/slow it down either all fled to Belarus or got put in Ukraine and are feeding new sunflowers, likely in Bakhmut rofl

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

KitConstantine posted:

Putin decided to privatize being good at military poo poo and his caterer got the gig

Caterer went on to control some very lucrative parts of Africa- became pig boss

Putin did a Ukraine and then realized he needed the good private military and pig boss came to help

Pig boss's dudes got killed a lot and he whined to putin about it. Putin brushed him off

Pig boss decided he could probably do the war and an authoritarian state better and took a couple cities

Putin dithered, then said some mean things, then ran

Pig boss is marching on Moscow now with some cops and weekend warriors making up the bulk of the bodies in his way

Doesn't Russia have like, an air force or something? How the gently caress does a convoy march on the capital of a country with a big military?

BoldFace
Feb 28, 2011
Do we know if Prigozhin is traveling with the convoy or if he stayed behind in Rostov?

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost

John Wick of Dogs posted:

Doesn't Russia have like, an air force or something? How the gently caress does a convoy march on the capital of a country with a big military?

hot dog man by most accounts is pretty chummy w the air force

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

Very easily it seems like, just keep on driving down that road.

KitConstantine
Jan 11, 2013

Maps. Maps....change quite a lot actually that's why I like them
https://twitter.com/detresfa_/status/1672640399553462272?t=zsZ7X5nvvvZLJtSdJqlx0Q&s=19

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Automata 10 Pack posted:

Russia is invading Ukraine with it’s own military and the “Wagner Group” neo-nazi mercenaries that recruit prisoners.

Russia uses the Wagner Group as very disposable soldiers. For example, they’ll toss them in the front lines and then bomb both them and the Ukrainians.

The Wagner Group, sick of this poo poo, decided that they’re better off usurping the Russian military and are now engaged in a civil war with Russia. They have captured two cities so far and are moving towards Moscow. Putin has fled(?)

This is most likely the beginning of the end of the Ukraine war. The leadership of the Russian military in Ukraine is in chaos leadership and they lost the support of the Wagner Group. At this point I expect a lot of surrendering.

Good summary, but it's also worth noting that Wagner has a reputation, at least, of being much more competent than the proper Russian army, which has had a catastrophically poor showing for the duration of the war.

Drone_Fragger
May 9, 2007

Russian linea in ukraine collapsing allegedly as units are forced to pull back before their logistics support runs out.

Ukraine moving tanks across the dnipiro near the destroyed bridge with a ferry, uncontested.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004

Several of helicopters have been shot down by the well equipped PMC (apparently, nobody knows much for sure)