Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Best Eikon
Phoenix
Titan
Garuda
Ramuh
Shiva
Odin
Bahamut
Ifrit
View Results

Mr. Trampoline
May 16, 2010
Charged magic is very good, you should be holding down the magic button most of the time to keep a charge.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Also you can charge magic during fancy long animations so you can launch it off right after the attack finishes

MechaX
Nov 19, 2011

"Let's be positive! Let's start a fire!"
I got past the first big point of no return and out of anything, I think the Game of Thrones comparisons are going to drive me more insane the further we get out and the more I play.

This poo poo is Vagrant Story/FF Tactics in 4K, except they can show more bodies and blood than they ever could in their original games. For god's sake, the part I'm at right now screams "Ramza's Act 3 Heretic Arc"

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

... wait, I just read back and I realized something.

Do people not get that there is an elemental vulnerability system in this game? Like certain elements do more damage to some enemies than others? Changing an Eikon doesn't just change the color of your attacks but also its element and enemies have vulnerabilities.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 17:00 on Jun 24, 2023

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
i only just started to notice it after the first point of no return. in fairness you don't exactly have a wealth of elements to choose from for a long while

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY
Does the game tell you when a point of no return is about to happen?

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
yes, you get a popup message with a yes/no prompt before you visit area that triggers it, pretty standard

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Mr Hootington posted:

Yes. It flat out says "If you do this next quest you won't be able to go back."

Megasabin
Sep 9, 2003

I get half!!

Oxxidation posted:

...cid was talking about attacking the mothercrystal. that's what he meant by "pay a visit to Mother." you say it right there in your post

I read it as he was specifically referring to your Mother, the empress, the one who ordered the attack on Eastpool, which is the reason you decided to seek out Cid. I think I see now they probably meant for you to think that, but it was a fancy bit of word play, and that cut back scene is supposed to show you he meant the mother crystal.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Mr Hootington posted:

Yes it’ll warn you in advance and let you pop back out before you enter the story moment. I’ve only come across one so far. Right now im working on hunts and side quests before continuing the story, but I think I can finish FF16 today. Don’t want it to end though. This game hits all of the correct notes for me.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY

Oxxidation posted:

yes, you get a popup message with a yes/no prompt before you visit area that triggers it, pretty standard

Cool. I can go back for the music I missed.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Mr Hootington posted:

Cool. I can go back for the music I missed.

Any music that becomes unavailable for plot reasons can be purchased from Charon's shop.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
after having just passed said first point of no return my biggest concern (other than the easiness of the combat) is that the game can hold on to its pacing. so many big jrpg's crumble apart as they move closer to the finale like a rocketship leaving orbit but this has been doing well so far and in a manner that makes me hope there's like thirty or forty hours of it left rather than ten or twenty

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Oxxidation posted:

after having just passed said first point of no return my biggest concern (other than the easiness of the combat) is that the game can hold on to its pacing. so many big jrpg's crumble apart as they move closer to the finale like a rocketship leaving orbit but this has been doing well so far and in a manner that makes me hope there's like thirty or forty hours of it left rather than ten or twenty

I would say the bulk of the game is past the Point of No Return

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines

MechaX posted:

I got past the first big point of no return and out of anything, I think the Game of Thrones comparisons are going to drive me more insane the further we get out and the more I play.

I just met the most Joffrey-rear end motherfucker just now

AncientSpark
Jan 18, 2013

Bland posted:

I don't know about you but when I'm not near an enemy I use Phoenix dash or Thrust, not magic. Magic does miniscule damage and barely tracks.

Then don't use the basic spell. The basic spell is exactly for that and if you don't need it, you don't need it.

Charged magic is where it's at for close-range combat, especially when you're specifically not doing melee combo and doing other stuff (you can charge while performing other actions). In addition to other properties like the backstep, it's a re-launch tool, the damage is free since the charge time is during other actions, and it's low commitment in case you screw up and knock the enemy away before Phoenix Shifting/Deadly Embracing/Thrusting back in.

Also, magic is the way you proc counterattcks when you Precision Dodge, but aren't close enough for the sword swing to hit, which is actually pretty common in boss fights.

The reason it needs a dedicated button is cause charging it would be a pain in the rear end if it weren't. Hell, it's a pain in the rear end even now in the default A scheme too, a big reason why some people advocate switching the control scheme.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Also another thing with charged magic is that it can knock enemies down and open them for a Punish which is usually one of the faster ways of taking out even mook foes. Getting all up in and slashing can be less effective then a pop-stab

If you ever feel like enemies are too HP spongey that usually means there is something you can do to be draining HP much faster. Since the game's equipment system is so barebones you're never really going to be 'underpowered' for an area you are in.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Argue posted:

I just met the most Joffrey-rear end motherfucker just now

I think I know who youre talking about, and he actually reminds me of (game of throne spoilers) that one kid who belongs to the sister(?) of Caitlyn Stark that little finger is obsessed with and then murders.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
the basic magic projectile has three key uses: magic combos, long-range perfect dodge counters, and blasting smaller critters out of the air. seems reasonable enough, though i wouldn't mind more pizzazz on the projectiles themselves

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
Magic rules because you hit a spider or goblin into the air and then you just mash triangle and juggle them with fireballs

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
oh yeah occasionally I make myself loving levitate with the Aero projectile, putting myself in a key position to downward slash whoever’s unlucky enough to be underneath, but I haven’t managed it on purpose yet

isk
Oct 3, 2007

You don't want me owing you

MechaX posted:

This poo poo is Vagrant Story/FF Tactics in 4K, except they can show more bodies and blood than they ever could in their original games. For god's sake, the part I'm at right now screams "Ramza's Act 3 Heretic Arc"

I generally agree; been saying the same thing since I finished the demo. IMO their explicit callout of GoT is partly for marketing and name recognition. While Vagrant Story/FFTactics callouts would resonate among folks like us, they're relatively niche in Square's pantheon

bobby2times
Jan 9, 2010
I kinda wish hard mode was unlocked from the start. I'm honestly breezing through every single fight.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
The quest complete sound cracks me up every time

Side quest: Feed some bread to some ducks

*feeds some bread to the ducks*

SLAM BABLOOM *THE MOST INTENSE SOUNDS YOU'VE EVER HEARD* QUEST COMPLETE

AncientSpark
Jan 18, 2013
Also, belatedly, re: a certain Eikon feeling like it sucks, etc. Blind Justice is pretty niche, agreed, it's probably the worst Eikonic Feat. But Ramuh is the perfect Eikon to Mastery poach from due to all the synergies it has. Judgment Bolt is your strongest no-animation time nuke for a while for stagger windows and even when you get ones that are stronger later, doubling up on no animation nukes for a higher Shredding build or as an emergency button remains a good option, especially if you don't want to commit to a certain late game Eikon for it. Lightning Rod has a stupid amount of synergies with rapid or multi-hitting abilities; it's honestly one of the most broken abilities in the game. And Thunderstorm is useful for kits that concentrate more on juggles, since it has good damage, but you want to take advantage of the charging animation hitting opponents above you to alleviate the slow charge time.

Pile Drive is probably the only Ramuh ability that is not particularly synergistic with other kits, because it's just a big AoE nuke, but some kits like Titan may want to run it instead of their own AoEs due to how fast and wide-coverage Pile Drive is.

AncientSpark fucked around with this message at 17:51 on Jun 24, 2023

Cephas
May 11, 2009

Humanity's real enemy is me!
Hya hya foowah!
lmao the first point-of-no-return major boss fight rules. Ifrit vs Typhon is basically a Zone of the Enders boss fight on the ground, it's freakin awesome. Making Ifrit's Ignition work like mecha boosters is glorious.

This game is right up there with Revengeance in terms of all-time great boss fights.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Cephas posted:

lmao the first point-of-no-return major boss fight rules. Ifrit vs Typhon is basically a Zone of the Enders boss fight on the ground, it's freakin awesome. Making Ifrit's Ignition work like mecha boosters is glorious.

This game is right up there with Revengeance in terms of all-time great boss fights.

Oh my friend you have seen nothing yet.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Cephas posted:

It's such a good fight, I look forward to seeing how the next one tops it.

Spermando
Jun 13, 2009

bobby2times posted:

I kinda wish hard mode was unlocked from the start. I'm honestly breezing through every single fight.

Do what I did--unequip high potions and wear your worst armour. At least bosses will be somewhat challenging.
Also, am I seeing things or is the entire sidequest portion of the game built on top of Lightning Returns, down to using the same animations.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

i do wish the eikon you were using changed more about your spell than the color of the fireball but the combat is still amazing

runaway dog
Dec 11, 2005

I rarely go into the field, motherfucker.
the only fight I had "trouble" with so far was like 6 hours into the game it was just like some random assassin mini boss guy in the woods, and it was only because i kept not healing before his big grab. That said I'm fine with that I'm not really looking to get my rear end pushed in by final fantasy though I agree with the people saying they probably should have had the hard mode unlocked from the beginning

Pulcinella
Feb 15, 2019

ImpAtom posted:

Also you can charge magic during fancy long animations so you can launch it off right after the attack finishes
Combo videos are going to be insane. People are going to find all sorts nook-and-cranny times slices to charge ranged/melee that are going to make people think “WTF?!?! There was an enough time to charge there?!” Like watching high level charge character play in a fighting game.

ImpAtom posted:

... wait, I just read back and I realized something.

Do people not get that there is an elemental vulnerability system in this game? Like certain elements do more damage to some enemies than others? Changing an Eikon doesn't just change the color of your attacks but also its element and enemies have vulnerabilities.
I did not know this. Does the bestiary eventually list enemy weaknesses or is there an Eikon that gets a Scan ability?
I do wish there was slightly more character to the spells. Like if fire did a slight damage-over-time effect, wind had a gust of air that kept enemies in the air slightly longer, or charged rock shots out a slower moving boulder that is harder to hit fast moving enemies but does way more stagger damage and guard breaks tougher enemies.
There definitely is a lot of room to add even more complexity in a “Ultimate International Version” addition or something. Like if not sure if Torgal gets new abilities later on or something. He does have a stats page. If he doesn’t get more abilities you can swap out, that would be something Square could definitely add. Hell, give Torgal classic Final Fantasy classes. Making him a black mage could give him a little doggie black mage hat to wear and swaps his regular abilities for black magic spells.

Seph
Jul 12, 2004

Please look at this photo every time you support or defend war crimes. Thank you.
Re: the discussion about magic, I think all the stuff about iframes or perfect dodge combos is missing the point. Those are tangential benefits at best and no fight that I’ve encountered has really required that level of finesse.

In other FF games magic is at least on par with physical attacks and in some situations significantly stronger. There are fights that are significantly harder if you don’t use magic appropriately. There are also buffs, debuffs, aoe, etc that give magic utility in those games that isn’t really present here. I think it’s perfectly valid criticism to say that the magic system here is not nearly as robust as in other FF games.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
I mean in most FF you only really used buffs and debuffs if you wanted to style on your opponents.

FF ain’t SMT

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

The real "spells" in this are Eikon abilities rather than the magic button projectiles I think. Your earliest Eikons are mostly about melee attacks but there are later ones that have ranged spells that can do things like placing persistent AoEs and things like that. They're not traditional FF spells but they fill the role more than the basic magic shots do I think.

FireWorksWell
Nov 27, 2014

Let's go do some hero shit!

How do I go about finding these Hunt quests? I've done all the green sidequests and I'm at the first? point of no return, haven't seen any indicators for them. Or are they not a thing before said point?

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

FireWorksWell posted:

How do I go about finding these Hunt quests? I've done all the green sidequests and I'm at the first? point of no return, haven't seen any indicators for them. Or are they not a thing before said point?

Not available just yet, and even then you'll only get a handful to start with but they eventually blow wide open.

FireWorksWell
Nov 27, 2014

Let's go do some hero shit!

I said come in! posted:

Not available just yet, and even then you'll only get a handful to start with but they eventually blow wide open.

Ah, I don't mind that, I just wanted to be sure I wasn't missing something obvious. Thank you, though!

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

I like the more "limited" nature of zones in this game, because it prevents me from feeling overwhelmed. The big zones are modest-sized enough that I can comb them over and murder all their wild-life without it becoming too tedious.

One other thing I've been enjoying is that I think this is the first game I've played in like 10 years where I'd primarily played it by laying in bed (instead of sitting in a chair with my computer next to me). It's nice to be able to pay full attention to the game like that.

I do wish that you could toggle the faster dash by pressing down L3 or something, though. It takes a while to kick in. I get that holding down L3 triggers the "Torgal guide," but they could have made a quick press of it toggle sprint. I imagine this will be less of an issue once I get a Chocobo.

edit: As far as accessories go (since that's really the only relevant form of equipment choice in this game), what are people generally using? It seems like the accessories that reduce cooldowns would have the most significant impact, but I'm bad at "theory-crafting" with stuff like this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

pro tip: do not gently caress with Goetz.