Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: weg, Toxic Mental)

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

The special military operation to occupy Ukraine within days is going extremely well

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rides Naked
Jun 4, 2006

Program, Whale, Program

BoldFace posted:

Do we know if Prigozhin is traveling with the convoy or if he stayed behind in Rostov?

The rumors are that hot dog man set up his stand in rostov on don, and even more hardcore nazi (and og wagner founder I think?) utkin is leading the moscow convoy.

Very unconfirmed

LASER BEAM DREAM
Nov 3, 2005

Oh, what? So now I suppose you're just going to sit there and pout?
https://twitter.com/normcharlatan/status/1672604980086276096

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

fez_machine posted:

Several of helicopters have been shot down by the well equipped PMC (apparently, nobody knows much for sure)

Also a fighter jet, and one of their very important one-of-a-handful command planes.

A GIANT PARSNIP
Apr 13, 2010

Too much fuckin' eggnog

Remember when those Russian separatists jumped the border and showed how weak Russia’s internal defenses were? And remember people saying that showing this internal weakness was a giant waste of time?

lol

Oldsmobile
Jun 13, 2006

Arsenic Lupin posted:

I realize this was a decade ago, but what was the reason for believing that the Tupolev that left Moscow yesterday had Putin on it?

It was Putin's plane and that's about it. Although TASS might have confirmed he was leaving.

KitConstantine
Jan 11, 2013

I uuuuh didn't think about this
https://twitter.com/COUPSURE/status/1672648568182538240?t=eJGzvputbJ5VxNOJCu8y-g&s=19
The fun part is the maniacs could be either side!

Tho Wagner is the only one with tentatively confirmed shoot downs atm

Mr_Companie
Jul 4, 2003

ARE YOU INTERESTED IN AN EXCITING BUISNESS OPPROTUNITY?

John Wick of Dogs posted:

Doesn't Russia have like, an air force or something? How the gently caress does a convoy march on the capital of a country with a big military?

Whatever the circumstances carpet bombing your own people is a pretty tough sell.

'all we need to do to stop these rebels is drop napalm on I-95!'

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

Happily shilling for China!

Omobono posted:

It's not completely impossible they're being greeted as liberators. [/Shitpost]

No seriously what the gently caress is happening :psyduck:
For those who remember, is this how the USSR fall felt?

I don't remember it, but that was a failed coup providing the final credibility loss for Gorby and the communists, so that Yeltsin could politically undercut them out of a job and existence.
Essentially Russia wise that was basically bloodless and mostly political machinations, it was more House of Cards. This is already way crazier.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

KitConstantine posted:

I uuuuh didn't think about this
https://twitter.com/COUPSURE/status/1672648568182538240?t=eJGzvputbJ5VxNOJCu8y-g&s=19
The fun part is the maniacs could be either side!

Tho Wagner is the only one with tentatively confirmed shoot downs atm

One of the comments makes a good point - the skies are probably still open so the MoD can get the gently caress out of dodge amidst the civilian planes without being an obvious target.

Oldsmobile
Jun 13, 2006

Doesn't Russia have like, an air force or something? How the gently caress does a convoy march on the capital of a country with a big military?

Their air force wasn't exactly doing a stellar job and their military is busy in Ukraine.

Trump
Jul 16, 2003

Cute

Mr_Companie posted:

Whatever the circumstances carpet bombing your own people is a pretty tough sell.

'all we need to do to stop these rebels is drop napalm on I-95!'

But much better to do it when they are on the highway, than when they're dug in in the metro Moscow area.

Is how a sane person would think, but here we are!

confused
Oct 3, 2003

It's just business.
If the reports tracking their progress so far are right, they will be arriving at the Oka River any minute now.

KitConstantine
Jan 11, 2013

Aka General Armaggeddon aka commander of all the Russian forces in ukraine
https://twitter.com/HN_Schlottman/status/1672640893256445956?t=UNRj4MzRZJsttuEyVKjbpA&s=19
He's been rumored to be friendly with Wagner prior to this

More confusion and paranoia in the Russian command structure is good for Putin because

Deformed Church
May 12, 2012

5'5", IQ 81

WAR CRIME GIGOLO posted:

I believe it's because it was the equivalent of Air Force One.

And you wouldn't have that thing leave without the president on it as it's essentially his last bastion.

I mean, if I were fleeing an advancing army which has AA capabilities, I would probably not do so in the plane name "Deformed Church Is Fleeing In This Plane".

I guess I'd also leave it there even if I was fleeing, to make me not look like I'm fleeing, for propaganda and misdirection purposes, but y'know.

Oldsmobile
Jun 13, 2006

It really seems the Russian state is in paralysis, as there are tons of stuff they could have done to stop this and they're not.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

a) Wagner has mobile AAA vehicles

b) because nothing happens in the russian military without 10 chain of command steps, and right now about 1/2 of the people in that chain of command have taken their phone off the hook. They are just waiting to see how things shake out. That's a thing that happens in coup attempts, when it looks anywhere even close to 50/50 odds.

Haystack
Jan 23, 2005

One of the few things that Russia is good at is surface-to-air defense. Including Wagner, apparently.

Coquito Ergo Sum
Feb 9, 2021

NCD popped off today:
https://twitter.com/war__online/status/1672535209038827521?s=20

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

Maybe I'll go where I can see stars

I don't know Papa John's and it doesn't look very good

confused
Oct 3, 2003

It's just business.

KitConstantine posted:

https://twitter.com/HN_Schlottman/status/1672640893256445956?t=UNRj4MzRZJsttuEyVKjbpA&s=19

More confusion and paranoia in the Russian command structure is good for Putin because

Prigozhin may be a psycho, but he doesn't seem dumb or suicidal. I don't think he would have gone down this tragetory unless he knew some parts of the military would back his play.

OctaMurk
Jun 21, 2013

KitConstantine posted:

Surokins statement and that other general friendly to wagner were both made in identical beige room

Wouldnt be surprised if theyre in fsb custody right now

Trump
Jul 16, 2003

Cute
Twitter is bustling with rumours that UAF have attacked broadly and gained progress in every direction. Might even have crossed the Dnipro at Kherson.

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

Trump posted:

Twitter is bustling with rumours that UAF have attacked broadly and gained progress in every direction. Might even have crossed the Dnipro at Kherson.

That happened a few days ago. The kherson part. It's not new news.

I wouldn't take any of this uaf gain stuff seriously just yet and the reason I say that is because I think that this is a good time to release this information but a lot of it's probably already happened or been happening over the last few days.

So in a sense we are catching up to what is actually already occurred. I'm not doubting that there's games being made and that entire units are just getting up and leaving but I don't think we're going to see the full effects of that for at least a couple more days.

I think this war is made people really expect stuff to happen extremely fast, I mean yes the march on Moscow is like 24 hours from birth and we're like literal hours away from it but that doesn't mean this entire civil War is going to happen over the span of a week. It could definitely could but there's more population centers that are further away from Moscow that can still do crazy things and there's other players who have not shown themselves yet. As a sopranos character once said our true enemy is yet to reveal himself.

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

If you have a problem, and nobody else can help - and, if you can find them (Rostov lol) - maybe you can hire...

SLOSifl
Aug 10, 2002

Trump posted:

I read your post and then your username, deep from within my head i could hear the muffled sound of two people arguing.

KitConstantine
Jan 11, 2013

Wsj article on the coup out - stealing quotes bc I'm at a cheese factory in rural Wisconsin having ice cream - they spicy
https://twitter.com/shashj/status/1672650489001922561?t=Ktow98EFR_8vRhHKg82MYA&s=19
Trying to find the Reuters article but see above
https://twitter.com/KyleWOrton/status/1672648509860749312?t=vq9UmfU9h9bfm-jWcX1F1g&s=19

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Dwesa posted:

I don't know Papa John's and it doesn't look very good
It's famous for being terrible.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

Strategic Tea posted:

If you have a problem, and nobody else can help - and, if you can find them (Rostov lol) - maybe you can hire...

ҐҢԐ Д ГЭДԠ

Trump
Jul 16, 2003

Cute

WAR CRIME GIGOLO posted:

That happened a few days ago. The kherson part. It's not new news.

This is coming from Russian telegram channels. Where did you read about this happening days ago?

ryde
Sep 9, 2011

God I love young girls
Maybe I’m naive about how long it takes to mobilize but I certainly expected the regular Russian forces still in Russia to be putting up more resistance by now. In my mind that leds credence to the idea that Wagner did this knowing they had a support base in the MoD. Also seems like they may have read the public sentiment tea leaves correctly.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
let em fight

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

confused posted:

Prigozhin may be a psycho, but he doesn't seem dumb or suicidal. I don't think he would have gone down this tragetory unless he knew some parts of the military would back his play.

This is probably true, but it should also be considered that with the play by the MOD to absorb the PMCs into their own command structure they were basically forcing him into a corner by taking away the only thing that probably was protecting him from falling out of a window. This was incredibly smart to just do and wait around for as there was no way he was going to do something drastic like take a big risk.

Pinche Rudo
Feb 8, 2005

My buddy’s wife is trying to call her family in Russia and can’t get through. She said it’s the first time it’s ever happened.

They live in the Caucasus so not close to any of the current action at all

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.

Neddy Seagoon posted:

One of the comments makes a good point - the skies are probably still open so the MoD can get the gently caress out of dodge amidst the civilian planes without being an obvious target.

Holy gently caress that's genius in the most ruthlessly callous and cowardly way possible.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Drone_Fragger posted:

Russian linea in ukraine collapsing allegedly as units are forced to pull back before their logistics support runs out.

Ukraine moving tanks across the dnipiro near the destroyed bridge with a ferry, uncontested.

Do you have a source for this?

KitConstantine
Jan 11, 2013

Klyith posted:

a) Wagner has mobile AAA vehicles

Yeah. The airforce has been trying. They've been dying for it.

There's now reports of a 5th helicopter going down Voronezh. That's the 5th *today*

Icept
Jul 11, 2001
The only thing that could have made today any sweeter was UAF racing up one of the other highways towards Moscow :allears:

njark
Apr 26, 2008

Show them the Wasteland

Buff Hardback posted:

They're lining up patiently to get some Papa John's Garlic Sauce for the road

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DVoklaED4z4&t=10s

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Hello, yes! Is being very good day for posting, no?

ryde posted:

Maybe I’m naive about how long it takes to mobilize but I certainly expected the regular Russian forces still in Russia to be putting up more resistance by now. In my mind that leds credence to the idea that Wagner did this knowing they had a support base in the MoD. Also seems like they may have read the public sentiment tea leaves correctly.

You're significantly overestimating the quality and professionalism of the Russian army.