Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: weg, Toxic Mental)

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

parthenocarpy posted:

Do you realize there are people in America, right now, Millions of them, who have for years insisted that there are two presidents and nothing of consequence has really happened from that mass delusion? People wake up today thinking Trump is still president. People tomorrow will wake up thinking the Wagner CEO is president of Russia. And..... THEY ARE DELUSIONAL

I missed the bit where Trump forced Biden to give him and all Jan 6th rioters a universal pardon, and install Kari Lake as Secretary of State.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deltasquid
Apr 10, 2013

awww...
you guys made me ink!

THUNDERDOME

parthenocarpy posted:

They both came out better

I don't know how you can see Putin facing an existential threat four hours ago, and no longer facing that threat as not a move up. I get it, people are like "Oh bottom G" on twitter, but SO? Putin stays in power, the war resumes, it loving sucks

Putin's position today absolutely is not better than it was on Friday morning, before this whole nonsense kicked off, what are you on about

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Der Kyhe posted:

So basically what happened was that Wagner got into shooting distance from Moscow and Putin's government surrendered.

Prig gets what he wants, MoD is shown to be completely toothless, and Putin is no longer the strongman who has an absolute monopoly on violence. In the meanwhile, Prig. and Wagner gets full pardon and basically a diplomatic immunity from now on, and can freely do whatever they feel like doing.

This cease fire and new normal cannot be sustainable. Either Prig or Putin is dead before the first snow falls in Moscow.

Yup. Long and short Russia is even weaker than it was global and locally 24 hours prior

Oldsmobile
Jun 13, 2006

AtomikKrab posted:

So Prig deposes Shoigu, gets to be shadow president and goes to Africa where he can ensure his overall safety while warlording? meanwhile the replacement for Shoigu has to manage the mess left behind and Putin.... drinks himself to death?

Counterpoint: Putin is playing for time and the only thing Prigo had going for him was speed.

https://twitter.com/michaelh992/status/1672659660027961345

This could still go either way.

Thorn Wishes Talon
Oct 18, 2014

by Fluffdaddy

parthenocarpy posted:

I didn't compare the events, what Trump event are you talking about? I didn't mention any, only the delusion of people thinking who is president and who isn't.

you literally said there are people in America who think there are two presidents and they are delusional, then drew a direct comparison to what the tweet is saying

it was a pretty stupid thing to say, as others pointed out. just take the L

parthenocarpy
Dec 18, 2003

Deltasquid posted:

Look I'm not American so idk what to tell you about this mass delusion stuff, but to my knowledge Trump did not actually march a brigade on Washington DC and obtain concessions from Biden. If he had, those people might be right that Trump was the actual guy in charge of America!

But in Russia, even when Medvedev was briefly president people still understood Putin was the guy actually in charge. If the MOD now gets staffed with people from Prigozhin's inner circle, or even just people who aren't Putin loyalists, suddenly this understanding no longer holds true.

I'm not talking about concessions, just mass delusion. People wake up thinking all sorts of stupid things and thats supposed to mean something? Like, millions more Russians hate Putin tomorrow and he remains in charge. That happens to Biden on a daily basis. You guys are assigning wayyyyy too much value to being humiliated

TGLT
Aug 14, 2009

parthenocarpy posted:

I'm not talking about concessions, just mass delusion. People wake up thinking all sorts of stupid things and thats supposed to mean something? Like, millions more Russians hate Putin tomorrow and he remains in charge. That happens to Biden on a daily basis. You guys are assigning wayyyyy too much value to being humiliated

If you have to remove your loyalists at the behest of a local warlord, presumably to be replaced with people loyal to that guy, you are not in fact in charge even if you are legally the president.

deported to Canada
Jun 1, 2006

I'm reading all these things in this thread about Ukraine and Russia and to be honest I'm finding it all really confusing.

Really hoping an American can come into this thread and explain the situation using examples from America and how that's completely relevant to what's happening in Eastern Europe tia.

*Good now thanks

the popes toes
Oct 10, 2004

BIG FLUFFY DOG posted:

im not sure how you could walk away from this and not think that prigozhin has emerged significantly more powerful and putin significantly weakened. A dude just straight up declared war on his own country and wasn't just not defeated but was rewarded for it! If you're someone who rules by fear this is absolutely catastrophic.

On the contrary.

"NATO neo-cons are gnashing their teeth that there is no civil war, Victoria Neuland's plans are again dashed on Russian rocks, and Russia once again proves that a free and democratic country is resilient. You see, we are much freer than the West, and because of this, these sorts of things happen every once in awhile but the supreme authorities always right the ship. This is the benefit of our greater freedom and the small price we have to pay for our non-gay liberty."

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Deltasquid posted:

Putin's position today absolutely is not better than it was on Friday morning, before this whole nonsense kicked off, what are you on about

Problem solved, nothing to see here. Everybody's happy.

Thorn Wishes Talon
Oct 18, 2014

by Fluffdaddy

parthenocarpy posted:

counterpoint: i don't think you understand how strongmen like Putin maintain power, and how much that power is undermined as a result of direct and outright humiliations like this

Sir John Falstaff
Apr 13, 2010

RDM posted:

Those people think the war problem is that it's not total or genocidal enough

Prigozin's latest statements have been along the lines of "this war was launched to favor corrupt elites"--e.g.:

https://thehill.com/policy/defense/4064431-wagner-chief-says-russias-war-in-ukraine-intended-to-benefit-elites-accuses-moscow-of-lying/

Which sounds like the kind of thing someone might say if they were on the side of ending the war rather than continuing it.

Don't get me wrong, Prigozin is not a nice guy and I'm sure he would have no qualms about genociding any number of people, but if he saw more benefit for himself in siding with an anti-war contingent he may be willing to go where the wind blows.

I don't know, just trying to be hopeful.

Sir John Falstaff fucked around with this message at 19:57 on Jun 24, 2023

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Oldsmobile posted:

Counterpoint: Putin is playing for time and the only thing Prigo had going for him was speed.

Must be a Mistranslation, I assume it says they will be "dissolved"

parthenocarpy
Dec 18, 2003

TGLT posted:

If you have to remove your loyalists at the behest of a local warlord, presumably to be replaced with people loyal to that guy, you are not in fact in charge even if you are legally the president.

Again, you are running some playbook where arbitrary things like "he's not really in charge because factor XYZ" like what does that mean? What are the practical effects from this? I don't see it as anything other than a silly insult

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Oldsmobile posted:

Putin's power was in his total control of the government and his strongman image.

He just lost that. Even if he kills Prig short term, the image is broken.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

BIG FLUFFY DOG posted:

im not sure how you could walk away from this and not think that prigozhin has emerged significantly more powerful and putin significantly weakened. A dude just straight up declared war on his own country and wasn't just not defeated but was rewarded for it! If you're someone who rules by fear this is absolutely catastrophic.

Honestly i think Prig got played and Putin will eventually muster his forces behind the scenes and crush him without honoring their deal. It will tarnish his reputation and such, and the result will be Russia descending further into being a tinpot dictatorship with no institutions ruled by a delusional and paranoid despot, but i don't think Prigozhin won.

Though obviously it's a coin toss whether I'm right it wrong or maybe Moscow gets attacked by martians.

parthenocarpy
Dec 18, 2003

Thorn Wishes Talon posted:

counterpoint: i don't think you understand how strongmen like Putin maintain power, and how much that power is undermined as a result of direct and outright humiliations like this

I imagine that quashing existential threats is part of it. It looked like he was facing a serious one four hours ago and now he isn't. I guess call that bottom G, but its survivalism 101. Looks like he still gets to call himself president too.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

parthenocarpy posted:

They both came out better

I don't know how you can see Putin facing an existential threat four hours ago, and no longer facing that threat as not a move up. I get it, people are like "Oh bottom G" on twitter, but SO? Putin stays in power, the war resumes, it loving sucks

Twenty four hours ago Putin was not facing an existential threat. One of your strongest subordinates turning into an existential threat and then brokering a hasty truce with concessions to get them to back off is not "coming out better" in any reality.

Putin is old and a popular figurehead and he might still die in bed while nominally the president, but he's not going to get to call all the shots anymore.

Thorn Wishes Talon
Oct 18, 2014

by Fluffdaddy

parthenocarpy posted:

I imagine that quashing existential threats is part of it. It looked like he was facing a serious one four hours ago and now he isn't. I guess call that bottom G, but its survivalism 101. Looks like he still gets to call himself president too.

read a god drat history book lol

weg
Jun 6, 2006

Reassisted Retrogression

deported to Canada posted:

I'm reading all these things in this thread about Ukraine and Russia and to be honest I'm finding it all really confusing.

Really hoping an American can come into this thread and explain the situation using examples from America and how that's completely relevant to what's happening in Eastern Europe tia.

*Good now thanks

Putin thought he had the biggest pickup truck and controlled all the hamburgers but it turns out he's now in a hamburger sharing agreement with a guy who just installed a new lift kit.

I hope this helps.

TGLT
Aug 14, 2009

parthenocarpy posted:

Again, you are running some playbook where arbitrary things like "he's not really in charge because factor XYZ" like what does that mean? What are the practical effects from this? I don't see it as anything other than a silly insult

Having to surrender the ability to appoint the guy in charge of the military is not an arbitrary thing, it is like the root of all political power.

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

The Russian military was too woke, it needed a literal Nazi einsatzgruppen leader to save it from the ~~~mind virus~~~

Stubear St. Pierre
Feb 22, 2006

This is how the reddit mods should have handled those API changes

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

WE GET IT. YOU LOVE GUN JESUS. Toujours des fusils Bullpup Français.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mbeC2w-uIEU

Soylent Yellow
Nov 5, 2010

yospos

Flavahbeast posted:

Are any concessions confirmed yet? Wagner guys seem pretty pissed at Prigozhin now, I think it's early to say he'll come out ahead in all this

I wouldn't be surprised if it was heavily hinted to the rank and file that looting Moscow was on the cards. Now they're looking at potentially being thrown back into the meat grinder after having definitively embarrased and demonstrated their untrustworthiness to the regular military. I can understand them being slightly upset.

The other people I can see being pissed are the Chechens who missed out on their chance to loot a Russian city because they were stuck in a traffic jam.

parthenocarpy
Dec 18, 2003

TGLT posted:

Having to surrender the ability to appoint the guy in charge of the military is not an arbitrary thing, it is like the root of all political power.

If he just lost the root of his political power, how do you reconcile that with the fact that he's still running Russia? Like, I get it, you guys really want this to discredit Putin and make him look like a fool. I want the guy gone. This isn't him going away, this is a mending of a really lovely situation they had and they go back to war with Ukraine. You guys get that, right? Like, Russia reuniting is a real possibility, they could come out stronger from this, not weaker, and I don't know why so many of you feel that is a certainty. I just don't get it.

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog.

nobody in russia really likes putin. But the average russian doesn't care and is generally apolitical. The elites who are political go along with him for three reasons: because he enriches them massively they're scared shitless of him and he keeps power divided enough that theres noone strong enough to replace him.

The enriches them part went away after the ukranian invasion and every oligarch got slapped with an enormous amount of sanctions along with the russian economy itself. But putin still had the fear and the fact that they could always be poisoned or thrown from a window. Even in places like Salisbury England they could be killed so the only true protection was not criticizing him and going along with what he wants.

That went away now after a dude didn't just openly criticize putin but straight up threatened with 25,000 soldiers his actual government. And putin didn't punish him. He gave him what he wanted. That takes away the fear AND the fact that there is no obvious challenger or alternative source of power.

There's not really any reason to really obey putin anymore except that you actually like the guy. Yes hes still in charge but all the support beams that his political power is based on have been revealed as missing or rotten. Its only a matter of time before the bridge collapses.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!

parthenocarpy posted:

I don't understand why anyone has deeply held reservations about anything happening at this point

there's an axiom in formal logic theory that says "if you can show a logical contradiction, you can derive literally anything. you can derive that that the world is made of blue cheese. that's logically sound, given the assumptions that led to your contradiction." it's one of the hardest things for formal proof learners to apply in many cases because it functionally means if you assume that 2 + 2 = 5, then the earth is flat. but 2 + 2 doesn't equal 5! well yes, that's why the earth isn't flat.

we have been operating under a lot of assumptions about russia and putin over the last 10 years that, in the last 10 hours, have been fully and roundly contradicted. we have, in fact, been assuming that 2 + 2 = 5. but it doesn't. it's always equaled 4.

so yeah. the earth is flat at this point. you can have your suspicions and that's fine. but if you're feeling any certainty i feel like you're missing a major point.

Coolguye fucked around with this message at 19:58 on Jun 24, 2023

Lor
Oct 9, 2006

Happy page 500 guys =)

the popes toes
Oct 10, 2004

deported to Canada posted:

Really hoping an American can come into this thread and explain the situation using examples from America
An incident in an oil, gas and minerals producer threatened to roil commodities markets but did not result in inflationary pressures and the markets remains calm and bullish.

Deltasquid
Apr 10, 2013

awww...
you guys made me ink!

THUNDERDOME

parthenocarpy posted:

parthenocarpy posted:

He didn't quash poo poo, he conceded.

The practical effects of this is that, at a superficial level, if you want things done in Russia, you clear it with Prigozhin and his cronies instead of Putin. Do you think Putin will act the same way as before when he knows that Wagner (or their new MOD buddies) can just walk into Moscow unopposed? Do you think he'll veto laws Prigozhin likes, or push laws he dislikes?

It also means that, more fundamentally, now other branches of government (eg people who aren't on board with a turbofascist warlord calling the shots and potentially decreeing mass mobilization) might consider bumping off Putin to oppose this from happening, or might rock the boat on things that Prizoghin and his buddies don't particularly care much about. Putin doesn't have Wagner nor the MOD under his control any more, so if you're a guy like e.g. Kadyrov you might think it's time to extract some concessions of your own.

Sesq
Nov 8, 2002

I wish I could tear him apart!
Wrong thread. Glory to Ukraine!

Sesq fucked around with this message at 20:00 on Jun 24, 2023

parthenocarpy
Dec 18, 2003

Coolguye posted:

so yeah. the earth is flat at this point. you can have your suspicions and that's fine. but if you're feeling any certainty i feel like you're missing a major point.

The entire point I've been trying to make is no one should be certain about anything. When I said last night that this could happen, I said very clearly that it wasn't even likely or even something I'd be hopeful to see. I'm not sure where you got the fact I was feeling certain about anything at all other than resuming the Ukraine war really sucks

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

hmm can't imagine why

TGLT
Aug 14, 2009

parthenocarpy posted:

If he just lost the root of his political power, how do you reconcile that with the fact that he's still running Russia? Like, I get it, you guys really want this to discredit Putin and make him look like a fool. I want the guy gone. This isn't him going away, this is a mending of a really lovely situation they had and they go back to war with Ukraine. You guys get that, right? Like, Russia reuniting is a real possibility, they could come out stronger from this, not weaker, and I don't know why so many of you feel that is a certainty. I just don't get it.

Nations collapse on a time scale of years, not hours. If this all ends up being true then now if this warlord - who has already demonstrated a willingness to fight the government - decides he has some new issue with some new policy well the guy in the MoD is presumably his bud so his next insurrection is gonna go even smoother. Laws and titles don't mean poo poo if your military turns on or abandons you.

Sally Sprodgkin
May 23, 2007

parthenocarpy posted:

If he just lost the root of his political power, how do you reconcile that with the fact that he's still running Russia?

Nominally he's not running Russia in the same way he was 24 hours ago - 24 hours ago he got to pick who was in charge of all the people with guns, and now it seems he doesn't get to do that

Which is a pretty big problem for him tbh

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Sally Sprodgkin posted:

Nominally he's not running Russia in the same way he was 24 hours ago - 24 hours ago he got to pick who was in charge of all the people with guns, and now it seems he doesn't get to do that

Which is a pretty big problem for him tbh

Let's see if the deal actually happens first.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!

parthenocarpy posted:

The entire point I've been trying to make is no one should be certain about anything. When I said last night that this could happen, I said very clearly that it wasn't even likely or even something I'd be hopeful to see. I'm not sure where you got the fact I was feeling certain about anything at all other than resuming the Ukraine war really sucks

i was agreeing with you homie stand down

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

parthenocarpy posted:

The practical effect is that the next time a Russian with independent power, especially military, is looking at a potential conflict with Putin, they have far more confidence in fighting back. Coups are now on the table. You can do them and survive, and there won't even be instant resistance.

Contrast with the failed coup in Turkey: they didn't get enough military support to even take on the palace guards, and the populace were solidly against them. It was such a boondoggle that it reinforced coups being a terrible idea there.

parthenocarpy posted:

The entire point I've been trying to make is no one should be certain about anything.

Well sure, we don't even know what the negotiation even is or whether Prig is actually getting strong concessions. A lot of this is if the early reporting that MOD people will be replaced or whatever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Any chance if Shoigu genuinely feels threatened he tries something?