Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Carthag Tuek posted:

re things that put you off books before you even read them:

maps, dramatis personae, vocabularies

good on you for worldbuilding but if it isnt in the story (organically!) im not gonna read it. blame tolkien & herbert of course.

Similarly, if a book has something like a mood-setting in-universe poem or song verse at the start of its chapters, I will absolutely skip over it 100% of the time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

An excerpt from the Encyclopedia Galactica, though... Hell yeah

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.

Carthag Tuek posted:

where is that parody, its like "N.N. woke to the buzzing of his clever awakening-machine, and rose from his sleeping pad. Soon, he would have to board the air-car to travel at subsonic speeds to the other end of the continent — a trip that only took 5 hours, quite an invention indeed. Presently he arrived and as soon as a ground-car arrived on its smooth metal tracks, which had beeen some improvement over the primitive rubber wheels the primitives had used previously, he took his indicated seat on the rich corinthian leather. At his destination, he reached out to indicate to the chauffeur" etc

its not the one chandler wrote

Is it David Weber Orders a Pizza

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

General Battuta posted:

Is it David Weber Orders a Pizza

no, but at the end it links to the one i was thinking of so thx lol:

quote:

If all stories were written like science fiction stories
by Mark Rosenfelder

Roger and Ann needed to meet Sergey in San Francisco.

“Should we take a train, or a steamship, or a plane?” asked Ann.

“Trains are too slow, and the trip by steamship around South America would take months,” replied Roger. “We’ll take a plane.”

He logged onto the central network using his personal computer, and waited while the system verified his identity. With a few keystrokes he entered an electronic ticketing system, and entered the codes for his point of departure and his destination. In moments the computer displayed a list of possible flights, and he picked the earliest one. Dollars were automatically deducted from his personal account to pay for the transaction.

The planes left from the city airport, which they reached using the city bi-rail. Ann had changed into her travelling outfit, which consisted of a light shirt in polycarbon-derived artifical fabric, which showed off her pert figure, without genetic enhancements, and dark blue pants made of textiles. Her attractive brown hair was uncovered.

At the airport Roger presented their identification cards to a representative of the airline company, who used her own computer system to check his identity and retrieve his itinerary. She entered a confirmation number, and gave him two passes which gave them access to the boarding area. They now underwent a security inspection, which was required for all airline flights. They handed their luggage to another representative; it would be transported in a separate, unpressurized chamber on the aircraft.

“Do you think we’ll be flying on a propeller plane? Or one of the newer jets?” asked Ann.

“I’m sure it will be a jet,” said Roger. “Propeller planes are almost entirely out of date, after all. On the other hand, rocket engines are still experimental. It’s said that when they’re in general use, trips like this will take an hour at most. This one will take up to four hours.”

After a short wait, they were ushered onto the plane with the other passengers. The plane was an enormous steel cylinder at least a hundred meters long, with sleek backswept wings on which four jet engines were mounted. They glanced into the front cabin and saw the two pilots, consulting a bank of equipment needed the fly the plane. Roger was glad that he did not need to fly the plane himself; it was a difficult profession which required years of training.

The surprisingly large passenger area was equipped with soft benches, and windows through which they could look down at the countryside as they flew 11 km high at more than 800 km/h. There were nozzles for the pressurized air which kept the atmosphere in the cabin warm and comfortable despite the coldness of the stratosphere.

“I’m a little nervous,” Ann said, before the plane took off.

“There’s nothing to worry about,” he assured her. “These flights are entirely routine. You’re safer than you are in our ground transport cars!”

Despite his calm words, Roger had to admit to some nervousness as the pilot took off, and the land dropped away below them. He and the other passengers watched out the windows for a long time. With difficulty, he could make out houses and farms and moving vehicles far below.

“There are more people going to San Francisco today than I would have expected,” he remarked.

“Some of them may in fact be going elsewhere,” she answered. “As you know, it’s expensive to provide airplane links between all possible locations. We employ a hub system, and people from smaller cities travel first to the hub, and then to their final destination. Fortunately, you found us a flight that takes us straight to San Francisco.”

When they arrived at the San Francisco airport, agents of the airline company helped them out of their seats and retrieved their luggage, checking the numeric tags to ensure that they were given to the right people.

“I can hardly believe we’re already in another city,” said Ann. “Just four hours ago we were in Chicago.”

“We’re not quite there!” corrected Roger. “We’re in the airport, which is some distance from the city, since it requires a good deal of space on the ground, and because of occasional accidents. From here we’ll take a smaller vehicle into the city.”

They selected one of the hydrocarbon-powered ground transports from the queue which waited outside the airport. The fee was small enough that it was not paid electronically, but using portable dollar tokens. The driver conducted his car unit into the city; though he drove only at 100 km/hr, it felt much faster since they were only a meter from the concrete road surface. He looked over at Ann, concerned that the speed might alarm her; but she seemed to be enjoying the ride. A game girl, and intelligent as well!

At last the driver stopped his car, and they had arrived. Electronic self-opening doors welcomed them to Sergey’s building. The entire trip had taken less than seven hours.

https://web.archive.org/web/20071010091435/http://www.shrovetuesdayobserved.com/flight.html

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Lol, that's pretty great. I didn't recognize it from the description, but I do remember reading it at some point now.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
this is the most fantastical part:

"When they arrived at the San Francisco airport, agents of the airline company helped them out of their seats and retrieved their luggage, checking the numeric tags to ensure that they were given to the right people."

Roger paid for some good loving tickets if they got him his luggage for him.

Qwertycoatl
Dec 31, 2008

Arivia posted:

Roger paid for some good loving tickets if they got him his luggage for him.

He picked the earliest flight instead of the cheapest, he's rich

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Roger is played by Cary Grant, and Jane is played by some young starlet

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー

wheatpuppy posted:

I read a book recently that had a "cast list" at the beginning, sorted into groups. One of the groups was "deceased people" and it included the name of a character who was alive at the start of the book and whose death 2/3rds in was clearly meant to be a shock to the reader. Still haven't figured that one out. Did they assume nobody reads those so it's ok to post spoilers? Was it originally meant to go in the end of the book and got moved? :iiam:

If an author feels that their reader will need Cliff's Notes to keep track of all the characters, they should probably take that as a failure on their part. Also, I don't *need* to know/remember the name of the 3rd prison guard on the left from the prologue 2 books ago. If it's actually important, the author should be able to work a reminder into the actual text where it's relevant.

Is this you mocking Shakespeare publications, or am I not getting the joke? Cuz I sure as heck remember reading Hamlet in HS and trying to figure out why out of cast of a few dozen people, two nobodies are listed under "survivors", and thinking "is it some sort of cool group"?

wheatpuppy
Apr 25, 2008

YOU HAVE MY POST!

Serephina posted:

Is this you mocking Shakespeare publications, or am I not getting the joke? Cuz I sure as heck remember reading Hamlet in HS and trying to figure out why out of cast of a few dozen people, two nobodies are listed under "survivors", and thinking "is it some sort of cool group"?

I wasn't referring to Shakespeare or any actual play where a cast list would make sense. It was just a "paranormal/urban fantasy" novel that, for some reason, opened with a long list of every named character. They were listed out like:

quote:

Werewolves
Carlos Pena
Marcus Smith
Bobson Dognutt

Dead Werewolves
Caroline Dognutt (Bobson's mom)
Eleazer Smith

Vampires
Etc.
It was just weird.

wheatpuppy has a new favorite as of 05:07 on Jun 24, 2023

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

every book i write is like

[cool]
- Ol' Billy Shakespeare

[not cool]
- Dad, can't see so good

GhastlyBizness
Sep 10, 2016

seashells by the sea shorpheus

Carthag Tuek posted:

Ann had changed into her travelling outfit, which consisted of a light shirt in polycarbon-derived artifical fabric, which showed off her pert figure, without genetic enhancements, and dark blue pants made of textiles. Her attractive brown hair was uncovered. […] A game girl, and intelligent as well!

lmao the author of this knows how to twist the knife

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
A ton of the fun of fantasy/sci-fi settings is the little touches of how people use technology/magic in their everyday lives, is the thing. But I think it's just one of those things where good writers do it well, and use it to make points of what the world is like, what's similar and different, and show differences between people and cultures within the setting that say something about them.

And the hack writers imitate that without understanding why or having any actual ideas about it, and so it stands out and grates.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

GhastlyBizness posted:

lmao the author of this knows how to twist the knife

And how!

:pose for camera:

caspergers
Oct 1, 2021

Ghost Leviathan posted:

A ton of the fun of fantasy/sci-fi settings is the little touches of how people use technology/magic in their everyday lives, is the thing. But I think it's just one of those things where good writers do it well, and use it to make points of what the world is like, what's similar and different, and show differences between people and cultures within the setting that say something about them.

And the hack writers imitate that without understanding why or having any actual ideas about it, and so it stands out and grates.

It's a show vs tell thing. Good writers know how to deliver information/exposition in a creative way while also propelling the story. A lot of fantasy/scifi writers seem more interested in worldbuilding than they do making a story work. It's all about the care and craft, some writers are just lazy artists who don't care about craft in the least. Recently I read two Lovecraftian books, 14 by Peter Cline and The Fisherman by John Langan. Both were very similar, but what made the latter better than the former was its use of metaphor. 14's metaphors were merely functional, just to get the idea across, while Fisherman's metaphors were emotive and evocative and helped to elevate the story or at least contribute to the dispositions of the characters. Since I am as lazy as the people I criticize, I will not be including passages of either book to support my point. Eat my rear end.. 14 wasn't bad per se, although it had enough pop culture references to make it feel like Ready Player One.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
On "As you know" dialog I liked how Star Trek DS9 handled it - it was Jadzia bringing Worf up to speed on an adventure that the audience had already seen, and it was just played as her having fun gossiping about Quark's Klingon Ex-Wife. Like "And then, you won't believe what happened next, it was amazing..."

NoiseAnnoys
May 17, 2010

Captain Monkey posted:

Come on down to the terrible books thread if you don't mind the quality dip involved.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3844346

It's a lot of litrpg, but there are some wuxia inspired novels as well. Cradle is sort of a western written wuxia novel in a way, and we make fun of and rate all sorts of books that fall into or near the wuxia genre.

edit: probably wouldn't help you bond with your inlaws though.

thanks for the invite, i'll pop on in!

IshmaelZarkov
Jun 20, 2013

Carthag Tuek posted:

where is that parody, its like "N.N. woke to the buzzing of his clever awakening-machine, and rose from his sleeping pad. Soon, he would have to board the air-car to travel at subsonic speeds to the other end of the continent — a trip that only took 5 hours, quite an invention indeed. Presently he arrived and as soon as a ground-car arrived on its smooth metal tracks, which had beeen some improvement over the primitive rubber wheels the primitives had used previously, he took his indicated seat on the rich corinthian leather. At his destination, he reached out to indicate to the chauffeur" etc

its not the one chandler wrote

One of my favourite books has one of those sections at the start that has a guy catching a London to Houston flight, plugging his laptop in to charge and get connectivity, and he books a car for when he lands.

Given it was written in the mid sixties, I've always found it pretty impressive.

don longjohns
Mar 2, 2012

Gideon the Ninth has vocab, pronunciation guides, and dramatis personae lists. I didn't read them until I finished the book, though, because I didn't see a point. Then I think the next one Muir put it all at the end, which was a better choice.

A series I love, Alien Chronicles (The Golden One, The Crimson Claw, and The Crystal Eye) had a bit of information about the different aliens in the book that I found useful.

I think like anything else, errata like that is about how it's used. I have seen it done poorly, and I have seen it used to great effect!

The footnotes in Jonathan Strange and Mr Norrell are pretty fun, for instance.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

All the Tiffany Aching books after the first have a glossary of the Scottish-based slang the Feegles use, just to catch you up. They're written in-universe from the perspective of one of the characters, too.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

don longjohns posted:

I've only "read" that one in audio form. I eventually grew to love it on my second try, but man, that footnote-centric format is really not well-suited to the audio medium. You get used to it, but it really takes you out of the story much more than the regular print version.

Actually, I do a ton of audiobook listening, and there are quite a few particular things I find entertaining but aggravating in how they translate from print to narration. Things like pages of code numbers or paragraphs of nonsense words spoken by an insane character are fine in a book because you can just scan by in a couple seconds to get the gist of what the author wanted, but they come across as annoying when it's a narrator reading everything out verbatim. Similarly, techier stories that involve lots of emails or web citations get old really fast when the narrator is reading out the email details and time stamps every time, or reading out "h t t p colon forward slash forward slash w w w dot website address dot com forward slash subdirectory name" for every web source. I'm sure it's because a subset of readers will complain if you don't have everything exactly verbatim from the print release, but I'd much rather have a thoughtful edit for the audio version.

Captain Hygiene has a new favorite as of 20:08 on Jun 24, 2023

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Dabir posted:

All the Tiffany Aching books after the first have a glossary of the Scottish-based slang the Feegles use, just to catch you up. They're written in-universe from the perspective of one of the characters, too.

I enjoy that "burned bannock" is a food :v:

And also their equivalent of a bard/skald is named after william mcgonagall.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

Captain Hygiene posted:

I've only "read" that one in audio form. I eventually grew to love it on my second try, but man, that footnote-centric format is really not well-suited to the audio medium. You get used to it, but it really takes you out of the story much more than the regular print version.

Actually, I do a ton of audiobook listening, and there are quite a few particular things I find entertaining but aggravating in how they translate from print to narration. Things like pages of code numbers or paragraphs of nonsense words spoken by an insane character are fine in a book because you can just scan by in a couple seconds to get the gist of what the author wanted, but they come across as annoying when it's a narrator reading everything out verbatim. Similarly, techier stories that involve lots of emails or web citations get old really fast when the narrator is reading out the email details and time stamps every time, or reading out "h t t p colon forward slash forward slash w w w for website address dot com forward slash subdirectory name" for every web source. I'm sure it's because a subset of readers will complain if you don't have everything exactly verbatim from the print release, but I'd much rather have a thoughtful edit for the audio version.

Reminds me of the bit in Disco Elysium where several voice lines quote the case number in full. I ain't skipping that. I ain't skipping anything my best friend Kim wants to say.

nonathlon
Jul 9, 2004
And yet, somehow, now it's my fault ...

don longjohns posted:

How dare you besmirch Ursula K. Le Guin and the Earthsea series :argh:

In all seriousness, I don't think a map in a book has ever affected my reading of a story. I don't go and check where the characters are on the map because I don't care, and I don't feel like I lost anything not doing that. I don't know another reason to include a map other than to do that, so I guess the map is just pretty art???

I think the collected edition of Earthsea had a foreword from LeGuin in which she confesses to making up a lot of the early details and only later having to stitch it all into a complete world and map.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Dabir posted:

That kinda thing works when it's extra angles for jokes, too. Adds texture and thus room for flavour, like ruffled chips.

don longjohns
Mar 2, 2012

nonathlon posted:

I think the collected edition of Earthsea had a foreword from LeGuin in which she confesses to making up a lot of the early details and only later having to stitch it all into a complete world and map.

I love her so much 😭

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Surely she was making up all the details. It's fiction

GB Luxury Hamper
Nov 27, 2002

don longjohns posted:

I recently re-read the book and the footnotes were much less charming the second time. The long ones with "here is a half-page anecdote about a magical incident that happened in 1678" in particular.

nonathlon
Jul 9, 2004
And yet, somehow, now it's my fault ...

don longjohns posted:

I love her so much 😭

The foreword was quite interesting. She confesses that she didn't really want to write a children's book, didn't really have a plan going in, just some vague ideas and a desire not to talk down to children. Really, she craps all over most other fantasy authors.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

nonathlon posted:

The foreword was quite interesting. She confesses that she didn't really want to write a children's book, didn't really have a plan going in, just some vague ideas and a desire not to talk down to children. Really, she craps all over most other fantasy authors.

Is that the same one where she also admits to knowing jack-poo poo about sailing?

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

The really funny thing is that the guy who wrote the Aubrey-Maturin novels didn't know how to sail either :v:

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

Usually chapters opening with some non-plot-related gubbins would piss me off, but when I read the five Vance Demon Princes books they turned out to be the stuff I enjoyed most, that Jack Vance and his worldbuilding :3:

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

nonathlon posted:

* SF novels set in the far future, featuring Space Russia at war with Space America, characters in same novel being obsessed with very specific period in history, i.e. modern day USA, talking about the music or namedropping politicians and celebrities. Because I'm always thinking about the Dark Ages and Aethelraed The Unready.

The best example is Rama II basically going, "Oh all those space colonies mentioned in the first book? They are no longer a thing and everybody just decided to move back to Earth." It couldn't be more blatant that the co-author needed the crutch of relying on the stereotypes of different nations and couldn't be bothered to adjust his writing to the setting.

King Doom
Dec 1, 2004
I am on the Internet.

Stuporstar posted:

Please tell me this is not hyperbole :allears:

River God is set in ancient egypt and really feels like two books in one. There's a big even halfway through and the characters need to leg it out of Egypt and the second half of the book is wandering and having adventures in Africa. I love it.

The sequel, seventh scroll, is set in the 1980's and is about a generic wilbur smith manly man doing an adventure to find a tomb that the characters in book one made. It's meh. Nothing super terrible, but not amazing.

Some twenty odd years later, the next book in the series, Warlock, turns up and genuinely made me wonder if smith had had a stroke or joined a cult. The main character and narrator from River God, a eunuch slave named Taita had a tragic romance with the female main character, Lostris. She goes on to become queen and has a tragic romance with a guy named Tanus, Taita's protégé. It's all very sad in a noble sacrifice kind of way. It made me cry the first time I read it. Warlock throws all that away because Taita has gone off to learn true magic, grows his penis back, has a magic duel with an evil wizard complete with shooting magic beams from their dongs at each other (the bad wizard looses because he climaxes) and discovers Lostris has been reincarnated and is now a totally hot sixteen year old who is super into ancient old wizard junk and this is the point where I literally threw the book out the window.

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

JUST POSTING WHILE JERKIN' MY GHERKIN SITTIN' IN A PERKINS!

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.

King Doom posted:

River God is set in ancient egypt and really feels like two books in one. There's a big even halfway through and the characters need to leg it out of Egypt and the second half of the book is wandering and having adventures in Africa. I love it.

The sequel, seventh scroll, is set in the 1980's and is about a generic wilbur smith manly man doing an adventure to find a tomb that the characters in book one made. It's meh. Nothing super terrible, but not amazing.

Some twenty odd years later, the next book in the series, Warlock, turns up and genuinely made me wonder if smith had had a stroke or joined a cult. The main character and narrator from River God, a eunuch slave named Taita had a tragic romance with the female main character, Lostris. She goes on to become queen and has a tragic romance with a guy named Tanus, Taita's protégé. It's all very sad in a noble sacrifice kind of way. It made me cry the first time I read it. Warlock throws all that away because Taita has gone off to learn true magic, grows his penis back, has a magic duel with an evil wizard complete with shooting magic beams from their dongs at each other (the bad wizard looses because he climaxes) and discovers Lostris has been reincarnated and is now a totally hot sixteen year old who is super into ancient old wizard junk and this is the point where I literally threw the book out the window.

The only way this could be funnier if it turned out Lostris reincarnated not into a sixteen-year-old girl, but a sixteen-year-old horse who immediately died of old age after somehow confessing her love for sorcerer dong.

Poor old Lostris, thought of mage dick and died.

Stuporstar
May 5, 2008

Where do fists come from?

King Doom posted:

OMG :allears:
(the first one sounds right up my alley tbh)

Screaming Idiot posted:

The only way this could be funnier if it turned out Lostris reincarnated not into a sixteen-year-old girl, but a sixteen-year-old horse who immediately died of old age after somehow confessing her love for sorcerer dong.

Poor old Lostris, thought of mage dick and died.

lmao

Djeser
Mar 22, 2013

it's crow time again

It was indeed Warlock that I started reading, good to know that my sensors for detecting when someone's going to be weird about a sixteen year old are accurate.

My personal favorite vaguely ancient Egypt-related fantasy novel is Tim Powers' The Anubis Gates, which is about a time-travel tourist trip to 1800's London that goes wrong and then they're fighting evil sorcerer clowns who have to wear stilts because sorcery is moon magic so touching the earth hurts them. Eventually there's a big showdown in Egypt with the head sorcerer guy, who has to live in a giant sphere so he doesn't go flying off into space, because he's so moon-aligned that he's gravitationally bound to the Moon but not to Earth.

You can tell Tim Powers has a thing for Romantic poets, but as male genre fiction author hyperfixations go, it's not a fetish, so he's already ahead of the curve.

Ambitious Spider
Feb 13, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Longarm is sent in to texas to investigate the murder of a Cattle rancher. Of course he can't let a little thing like making his train get in the way of some action, and that's when I realized how relentlessly horny this book is. when he sleeps with a waitress who just follows him around, because he has that effect on women. Full of explicit sex. Anyway, the main plot is that there's a cabal of european business men trying to take over the texas cattle industry. Jesse's father discoevred some of their shadier dealings, and they killed him for it. they're also led. by a gay frenchman. But Jesse, the daughter of the rancher, and her ninja sidekick Ki (who spun off into their own series) are there to help Longarm and put a stop to the shenanigans. Jesse is also there is to sleep with Longarm a few times as well. Now the book is mostly pulpy fun, but does have some iffystuff. The cabal thing is pretty alex jonesy. It's revealed the frenchman is gay when he doesn't sexually assault our heroine. and she insults him for it. :stonk: Lots of slurs thrown at her ninja sidekick, though all by villains, and our cowboy hero doesn't take kindly to people calling him "chinaman". There's also a problematic fight between Ki and a cherokee assassin.

At one point longarm and Jesse are captured by the frenchman and just get down while waiting to be rescued by the ninja. The ninja also hooks up with some lady, and while he also loves Jesse, his bushido code will not let him act on it. This book is very much a post shogun novel, and has a whole being trained by a samurai backstory for our ninja protagonist--I know, and it's kind of handwaved that he also secretly trains as a ninja while being trained by a samurai. The book isn't written by a scholar by any means, but whoever wrote it certainly at least read shogun and watched a bunch of kurosawa movies.

That said it's not really as offensive as an early 80s pulp western could be. It's ambiguous (at least in this book) as to whether Longarm was confederate or union, but he doesn't like that the European business men are also slave trafficking. There's also a pretty progressive take on Japan and it's conqiering of Okinawa, though it's probably a bit of lingering ww2 resentment and 80s fear of the japanese economic menace. Jesse and him don't end up together, as she's got her father's little black book of shady european business men to take down before settling down as a proper woman.

I would probably check out some other books in either series as even this double length adventure is under 300 pages, and it's kind of a breeze. It's definitely inspired by the Charles Bronson/Toshiro Mifune joint Red Son. On the one hand it's less offensive than that flick, on the other this book doesn't have the Mifune Bronson bromance to carry it either. I don't hate it, but I really wish it was better. Maybe some of the other books are. Between the Longarm and Lonestar series there are hundreds of books, and they were both pumped out by house writers under a pseudonym. So while maybe skip this one, pick up another if incredibly horny cowboys and ninjas sounds like a good time.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.
Tim Powers is pretty great in general. The writers of the first Disney Pirates of the Caribbean movie had the idea to adapt On Stranger Tides early in their production, but went in another direction until they did it in the fourth movie, although not well. It also inspired the Monkey Island games.

The main antagonist is a complete incel, despite the fact that it was written in 1987 way before that became an organized thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Djeser posted:

My personal favorite vaguely ancient Egypt-related fantasy novel is Tim Powers' The Anubis Gates, which is about a time-travel tourist trip to 1800's London that goes wrong and then they're fighting evil sorcerer clowns who have to wear stilts because sorcery is moon magic so touching the earth hurts them. Eventually there's a big showdown in Egypt with the head sorcerer guy, who has to live in a giant sphere so he doesn't go flying off into space, because he's so moon-aligned that he's gravitationally bound to the Moon but not to Earth.

You can tell Tim Powers has a thing for Romantic poets, but as male genre fiction author hyperfixations go, it's not a fetish, so he's already ahead of the curve.

I read that one a year or two back and enjoyed it, man does it get weird though. Maybe it's just me, but Tim Powers feels weirdly unknown. I only knew about him because On Stranger Tides because it helped inspire other pirate stuff I like, and I don't think I'd heard of Anubis Gate before am offhand mention here.