Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Pie Colony posted:

also, if anyone says work gaps on your resume are a problem, they're not. you can just lie about them

"I was burned out and took a year off"
"wow, that must have been awesome"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pie Colony
Dec 8, 2006
I AM SUCH A FUCKUP THAT I CAN'T EVEN POST IN AN E/N THREAD I STARTED
that's fine if it's your first gap, but i do that between every job

barkbell
Apr 14, 2006

woof
what is the lie

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple derangement syndrome

Pie Colony posted:

that's fine if it's your first gap, but i do that between every job

"wow, that must have been really awesome"

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
you just worked for a boutique consultancy alone. sipping mai tais on the beach llc

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

The specifics might differ but yes, either contractor or consultant. It helps if you did some random contract work in the time that you can legitimately point out and refer, even if it only took like a few weeks or a month or whatever.

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

EAT. SHIT.

it could be an issue if you signed up for benefits, but if they are anything like here in the UK then you probably didn't if you could avoid it

and if it's long enough ago they won't know about the benefits either

Fortaleza
Feb 21, 2008

Just had a round 3 interview cancelled

quote:

The HR team just informed me that our requirements for the role changed due to management decisions and we'll be only hiring from the Bay Area.

Thanks for your interest in the role and I wish you the best of luck.

Man, gently caress this

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
Agreed, gently caress that :sympathy:

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
as figgieland-prime-booster prime, gently caress that poo poo

Corla Plankun
May 8, 2007

improve the lives of everyone

Corla Plankun posted:

hey yall im feeling extremely bad about getting ghosted after a technical challenge last week (recruiter told me it was a "no" and the interviewer didn't even reply to my followup email, woof), would any of y'all mind looking at a (python, docker compose) repo and giving me some feedback?

i am too goddamn old to be this upset about it but i think me and cpcolin were just talking about how much this sucks like last month and i have not grown at all since then

i had coffee with some recruiters today and they told me literally noone has passed this company's tech challenge and the req has been open for months

thanks to everyone that reviewed my work and affirmed me as not sucking that bad! sometimes people are just impossible to please i guess

Corla Plankun
May 8, 2007

to be clear they were different recruiters and not connected to the one i was working with in any way so they weren't like lying to make me feel better or anything

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
i appreciate u just fyi

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
Love a good job posting that just sits there festering while Management scratches their heads. Like they'll somehow find the perfect candidate who will need no training if they just wait long enough.

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

EAT. SHIT.

I wonder if it isn't just speculative

you never know maybe you'll get some sucker your perfect applicant at half the going rate or whatever

Asleep Style
Oct 20, 2010

CPColin posted:

Love a good job posting that just sits there festering while Management scratches their heads. Like they'll somehow find the perfect candidate who will need no training if they just wait long enough.

and also spend dev time that could be used to train someone up on endless interviews

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Like bob dobbs is dead says, it's a two-sided market for lemons. Good companies hire quickly, good candidates get hired quickly, and the dreck remains.

MononcQc
May 29, 2007

a position you never fill may serve the role of keeping the devs in line while they await help that will never come, therefore keeping production costs lower.

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life

MononcQc posted:

a position you never fill may serve the role of keeping the devs in line while they await help that will never come, therefore keeping production costs lower.

what? at no point have i ever thought "wow this position isnt filling i better work harder" and in fact there can be only one conclusion, they're offering poo poo pay and consequently im under paid

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

Mr. Crow posted:

what? at no point have i ever thought "wow this position isnt filling i better work harder" and in fact there can be only one conclusion, they're offering poo poo pay and consequently im under paid

no the idea here is that the manager can say like "look i know its hard but just hang on for a little while longer, we're trying to hire people, see?" while at the same time not actually trying to hire.

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

rotor posted:

no the idea here is that the manager can say like "look i know its hard but just hang on for a little while longer, we're trying to hire people, see?" while at the same time not actually trying to hire.

while I'm sure there's some nonzero amount of managers that actually do that, my instinct tells me that the majority of managers are just really really bad at hiring. Never attribute to malice what can be adequately explained by incompetence or whatever the quote is.

Archduke Frantz Fanon
Sep 7, 2004

rotor posted:

the real pro move is to get a great candidate lined up and bam hiring freeze

MononcQc
May 29, 2007

rotor posted:

while I'm sure there's some nonzero amount of managers that actually do that, my instinct tells me that the majority of managers are just really really bad at hiring. Never attribute to malice what can be adequately explained by incompetence or whatever the quote is.

yeah I wouldn’t expect this bad of a behavior in most cases. it’s also far more frequent for places to do things like open a role at such bad salaries they never get the candidates they would need, or as a ploy to then complain no one wants to work and then get underpaid migrant workers to do it.

but the incompetence is far more likely.

Rebus
Jan 18, 2006

Meanwhile, somewhere in Grove, work begins on next season's Williams F1 car...

Archduke Frantz Fanon posted:

I've had this, the poor guy posted the shittiest review about being ghosted on Glassdoor because HR weren't permitted to make the freeze public.

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost

Rebus posted:

I've had this, the poor guy posted the shittiest review about being ghosted on Glassdoor because HR weren't permitted to make the freeze public.

secret hiring freeze means that your place deserved that lovely glassdoor review

an epistemological gettier case in the wild

Blinkz0rz
May 27, 2001

MY CONTEMPT FOR MY OWN EMPLOYEES IS ONLY MATCHED BY MY LOVE FOR TOM BRADY'S SWEATY MAGA BALLS
there are very few managers that don’t want to hire because hiring and managing those hires is a big part of showing their value to the company

exception is if the manager is in charge of their hiring budget and process

havelock
Jan 20, 2004

IGNORE ME
Soiled Meat

Archduke Frantz Fanon posted:

Just happened to me. Twice. It sucks. At least I didn't "lose" to someone else.

Armitag3
Mar 15, 2020

Forget it Jake, it's cybertown.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vbwOYMFtw1k

AWWNAW
Dec 30, 2008

just got a written offer for major figs and it requires a drug test?!?!

Armitag3
Mar 15, 2020

Forget it Jake, it's cybertown.

AWWNAW posted:

can you even leetcode those?

raminasi
Jan 25, 2005

a last drink with no ice

AWWNAW posted:

some companies require this because their investors or insurers require it. it’s stupid but you do it once and forget about it.

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
I had to take a lie detector test and get a full physical in order to work for County Probation and I think if a place asked for that again I'd just tell them no

Its a Rolex
Jan 23, 2023

Hey, posting is posting. You emptyquote, I turn my monitor on; what's the difference?

AWWNAW posted:

I got this at my current job, the recruiter didn't bother to tell me until the process was nearly over. I was very pissed because I would've just quit smoking weed for a few weeks had he just told me up front

AWWNAW
Dec 30, 2008

here’s the thing. I wasn’t even looking for a new job and I definitely wasn’t looking to stop smoking weed. I’m trying to decide whether to just decline, ask if they test for weed, or take my chances

Corla Plankun
May 8, 2007

CPColin posted:

I had to take a lie detector test and get a full physical in order to work for County Probation and I think if a place asked for that again I'd just tell them no

the worst jobs are always the hardest to get

i was thinking the other day that since my finances are looking okay maybe i'd get a job at a university for a while (previously i never tried this because the pay is so much worse than any other job, but i do like schools and would find the work meaningful) but it turns out that to get these literally 40% of market rate jobs you have to write like six essays and provide letters of recommendation and all this poo poo. idk how they get anyone to apply for those

Corla Plankun
May 8, 2007

AWWNAW posted:

here’s the thing. I wasn’t even looking for a new job and I definitely wasn’t looking to stop smoking weed. I’m trying to decide whether to just decline, ask if they test for weed, or take my chances

if you schedule it two weeks out from the last time you got high your odds are pretty good for passing

Corla Plankun
May 8, 2007

you can also sneak clean pee in tucked into your underwear

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Corla Plankun posted:

i was thinking the other day that since my finances are looking okay maybe i'd get a job at a university for a while (previously i never tried this because the pay is so much worse than any other job, but i do like schools and would find the work meaningful) but it turns out that to get these literally 40% of market rate jobs you have to write like six essays and provide letters of recommendation and all this poo poo. idk how they get anyone to apply for those

They hire their own graduates.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chopstick Dystopia
Jun 16, 2010

lowest high and highest low loser of: WEED WEE
k

Corla Plankun posted:

if you schedule it two weeks out from the last time you got high your odds are pretty good for passing

can confirm

do this and stay hydrated on day and you'll be fine