Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

I use simparica trio for Apollo and have since March and would recommend it. I find ticks in his fur but not attached (woo!) and zero fleas.

e: wait this is the greyhound thread, sorry! Apollo is a gsd/husky mix maybe, not a sight hound at all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

(Card courtesy of her daycare)

How thoughtful, a pool just for Katie!

(It happens to be a friend’s kid’s birthday)

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Keep on GOP rolling rolling rolling rolling.

Good Burgin there

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

happy birthday katie!!!!

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011
Aww, happy bday Katie! Looks like she had fun at daycare!

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Nap Ghost
What a dainty burg eater

My dogs just HARF SCARF GNOMPH like steel traps when burgs are on the menu

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

DarkHorse posted:

What a dainty burg eater

My dogs just HARF SCARF GNOMPH like steel traps when burgs are on the menu

Well I take that option away from her by holding it carefully. If I don’t…

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

all but one of our first aussie hall have been adopted out

we just got a US haul and a couple of the males are absolute units, 89 and 94 pounds (bandit and watt)\

https://gpa-mn.org/adopt/available_hounds

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib
How do you deal with cuts on these dogs?

Usually I’ll put some antiseptic cream on, a cotton pad and then wrap that wrapping that sticks to itself around it followed by some tape to hold it in place.

However, this large cut Hazel has on her leg means no tape stays in place and she won’t stop licking it when I put cream on it.

We have been putting the muzzle and guard on when we’re home but as soon as we have to go somewhere and take it off she’s licking it again.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

did you go to the vet? maybe she needs stitches

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

Red_Fred posted:

How do you deal with cuts on these dogs?

Usually I’ll put some antiseptic cream on, a cotton pad and then wrap that wrapping that sticks to itself around it followed by some tape to hold it in place.

However, this large cut Hazel has on her leg means no tape stays in place and she won’t stop licking it when I put cream on it.

We have been putting the muzzle and guard on when we’re home but as soon as we have to go somewhere and take it off she’s licking it again.

For smaller cuts/scrapes my adoption group recommends a spray that’s also used for horses (race horses are basically also skin and bones on their legs). I can look up the name later.

To prevent them licking I think the muzzle + guard is the best you can do. If they’re an ex-racer they should be used to wearing it (doesn’t mean they like it obviously). My vet prescribed that for a week for Katie once.

skoolmunkee
Jun 27, 2004

Tell your friends we're coming for them

Maybe a long sleeve shirt with most of it cut off, just so it goes round the neck or shoulders and the sleeve goes down the leg?

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib
It doesn’t look bad enough to warrant a vet visit but we are monitoring it.

If there is a spray that would be ideal, I think she kind of likes the antiseptic cream I’ve been using which doesn’t help. If there was one that had a flavour they didn’t like that might work too.

It actually looks like it is scabbing over now so hopefully all good soon.

I might also see if we can find a sock that’s made for rear legs, we have one for the front but not rear.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

we got a new haul in

a couple of the boys are absolute units - bandit is 94 pounds, and watt 89

https://gpa-mn.org/adopt/available_hounds

Stravag
Jun 7, 2009

Aw hunny :3:

Radiation Cow
Oct 23, 2010

After five weeks of rain, we finally caught a break and could do a proper walk.

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

Radiation Cow posted:

After five weeks of rain, we finally caught a break and could do a proper walk.

Aww, what an adventurous hound! :3:

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

has anyone here had or seen a greyhound in a bike trailer? obviously they wouldn't be able to stand up in them, but I know there are ones that can accomodate larger dogs. the burley dog one supports up to 75 pounds, which would at least include Bailey.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm
Before I totally forget, that spray I was talking about is called Cut + Heal spray. I haven’t needed to use it but it comes highly recommended by my adoption group.

actionjackson posted:

has anyone here had or seen a greyhound in a bike trailer? obviously they wouldn't be able to stand up in them, but I know there are ones that can accomodate larger dogs. the burley dog one supports up to 75 pounds, which would at least include Bailey.

No, but people joke I should drag Katie around in one. I’m not sure she would enjoy it much

Veskit
Mar 2, 2005

I love capitalism!! DM me for the best investing advice!

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

hahah I love that cute curled paw thing greys do :D

wyoming
Jun 7, 2010

Like a television
tuned to a dead channel.
my goofy greyhound was sleeping like this and i was reminded of the thread title.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm
Ah the classic nose tuck! They always seem to get cold

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm
One of the gals at Katie’s daycare made some fan art :3::

Despite having some, uh, Napoleon Dynamite vibes I guess it‘ll have to go on the fridge a while. The eyes are way too light though

pastor of muppets
Aug 21, 2007

We were somewhere around the Living Hive, on the edge of the desert, when the drugs began to take hold...

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

lol cute

today is two years since abigail died - miss you!!!!

this is pre-adoption, her foster gave me these pics after she died - we still talk every so often

Only registered members can see post attachments!

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Nap Ghost
Abby :unsmith:

Thread title

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Piper here to inform you that if she sits, clearly she must fits... even if it is a cat bed

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm
Spot the greyhound

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

david_a posted:

Spot the greyhound

Easy one, on the couch, giving the side eye

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

i mean any greyhound owner is gonna immediately scan the couches for signs of “life”

Drunk Beekeeper
Jan 13, 2007

Is this deception?
Two weeks ago Barley started panting, acting like she was in pain, and stopped taking treats. We brought her to the emergency vet immediately and they found a bunch of fluid around her heart. They drained it and said they detected a mass in her heart, consistent with hemangiosarcoma. They said she wouldn’t have made it through the night if we hadn’t brought her in.

The day after draining it she was really out of it, and we called the at-home euthanasia vet to check their availability for the next day. To our surprise that next day she was back to normal, bouncing off the walls begging for food. So we decided to take it one day at a time.

We got her in to the first cardiologist appointment we could get. Yesterday they called and confirmed a mass in her heart and 99% sure it’s hemangiosarcoma. Of all things the call had to come in on Jake’s heavenly birthday. He’s been gone three years now.

Tonight she showed symptoms again. We are at the same emergency vet getting another drain. This whole thing is really scary because she goes from normal to gravely ill in about two hours.

We made appointments for chemo and oncology but I’m not sure she’s going to make it to them. She’s 11 so invasive surgery is probably not a good idea. Chemo would be palliative as they say there is no cure. We will not let her suffer, and her bouncing back after the last drain is giving us some hope for this one, but still we know the end is coming.

Please treat your hounds in her honor. She absolutely loves food and treats . :(

A few obligatory photos.

In this one you can see where they shaved her side to do the drain:

pastor of muppets
Aug 21, 2007

We were somewhere around the Living Hive, on the edge of the desert, when the drugs began to take hold...

I am so sorry. :(

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

that sucks so bad, i’m so sorry you and barley have to go through this :sympathy:

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Thats awful

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Nap Ghost
I'm so sorry :(

Enjoy the extra time with your pup

Drunk Beekeeper
Jan 13, 2007

Is this deception?
Thank you guys. I’m truly sorry for bringing this thread down with the negative stuff. We are home and she seems better now. Going to spoil her as much as possible.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm
So sorry :(

She looks very happy and comfortable in the pictures at least. That enormous open mouth smile greyhounds do is quite special, isn’t it :3:

Radiation Cow
Oct 23, 2010

Deepest sympathies, I'm sure you'll give Barley the best care possible. Have given both our dogs treats and cuddles, and they are very confused now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pastor of muppets
Aug 21, 2007

Drunk Beekeeper posted:

Thank you guys. I’m truly sorry for bringing this thread down with the negative stuff. We are home and she seems better now. Going to spoil her as much as possible.

A loss for one of us is a loss for all of us. Every single one of us will face it at one point or another.

Pets, man….:smith: