Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What is the most powerful flying bug?
This poll is closed.
🦋 15 3.71%
🦇 115 28.47%
🪰 12 2.97%
🐦 67 16.58%
dragonfly 94 23.27%
🦟 14 3.47%
🐝 87 21.53%
Total: 404 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Putin does not act like a heartless paranoid dictator and jeet heer criticizes hil for appearing weak

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
I wonder how many billions it cost Putin to end this....

a_gelatinous_cube
Feb 13, 2005

yunichel posted:

"Peskov: No word on potential MOD leadership changes"

A better translation is "MOD leadership changes were not discussed during the negotiations with Prigozhin"

lmao

I can only guess that Prigozhin got some personal gain out of this. Like he was losing the stand-off against MOD, Wagner was about to be absorbed into the Russian military, and Prig was about to be arrested. Now he got clemency and protection of bat'ka in Belarus? The whole thing is very confusing.

Prigozhin saw that none of the military was actually coming over to his side and said oh poo poo I'm going to die.

TDepressionEarl
Oct 28, 2010

I'm trying to win the World Cup
but I'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps playing Argentina onside

TDepressionEarl posted:

but the coup was merely a pump fake, prigozhin delivers a letter to the kremlin petitioning for russia to partition crimea into a bantustan that can wage war proxy on proxy SACK THAT LYING BASTARD SERGEI

a solemn and curt salute as he leads his pillar back south

Megamissen
Jul 19, 2022

any post can be a kannapost
if you want it to be

DAD LOST MY IPOD posted:

the next step is for half of wagner, under utkin, to declare that prigozhin must go and march on wagner hq. then half of that group splits off and says that utkin has betrayed them.

zeno's coup.

a matryoshka coup

paul_soccer12
Jan 5, 2020

by Fluffdaddy
Lol the thread title

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018
Probation
Can't post for 12 hours!
what an embarassing coup, if i was in charge this would have never happened

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Clip-On Fedora posted:

Libs are obsessed with humiliation because they can’t actually beat anyone, so they have to settle for that.

"Ever since armed forces all over the world became intervention forces in the 1990s and conscription armies became professional armies, the model of the democratic ‘citizen in uniform’ has come under increasing pressure to adopt to new kinds of warfare – a development that had already begun in the US following the Vietnam War.

This development reflects the transition from conscription to a professional army as well as a new self-image and growing self-awareness on the part of its members. The warrior is characterized by a strong attachment to personal status and desire for honour. The virtues that the warrior represents do not reflect the values of his or her particular society or community. They are not politically or ideologically biased, but spring solely from the warrior’s self-image . Their closest counterparts in history are the medieval knights and their self-perception as warriors from the social elite.

John Keegan, one of the proponents of a new warrior image, explained the rejection of the values of civil society: war reaches into the most secret depths of the human heart, where the ego eliminates rational goals, where pride reigns, where emotions have the upper hand and instincts rule. One of Keegan’s models of the warrior was the Roman centurion. These officers were warriors through and through. They did not aspire to rise to the governing class. Their ambitions were entirely limited to success within what could be perceived, for the first time in history, as an esteemed and self-sufficient profession. The virtues of the Roman professional soldiers were idealistic rather than materialistic. According to Keegan, these virtues reappeared in the modern era: pride in a distinctly masculine way of life, being admired by one’s comrades, satisfaction in professional success and the expectation of an honourable discharge and retirement."

The Democratic Warrior and the Emergence of World-Order Conflicts, Andreas Herberg-Rothe

:thunk:

samogonka
Nov 5, 2016

Wagner can't be nazis, Prigozhin is jewish

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?
is Wagner all dead yet or what I haven't been following

redneck nazgul
Apr 25, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!

ContinuityNewTimes posted:

the lesson of that movie is that elite, highly educated noble dudes with ancient swords look lame as gently caress when theres a yokel with a Gatling gun and a sharp uniform on the other side

briefly read this as yokai with a gatling gun

DesertIslandHermit
Oct 7, 2019

It's beautiful. And it's for the god of...of...arts and crafts. I think that's what he said.
The real winners are the helicopter pilots that stayed home.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

knights were known for politically unbiased agents, that is true

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

indigi posted:

they're getting downsized and prigozhin gets to take the rest with him to belarus and possibly go back to fighting bush wars in the sahel

AloePieceOfShit
Jan 26, 2020

indigi posted:

Alive and aquitted though this may be temporary.

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:

Jon Pod Van Damm
Apr 6, 2009

THE POSSESSION OF WEALTH IS IN AND OF ITSELF A SIGN OF POOR VIRTUE. AS SUCH:
1 NEVER TRUST ANY RICH PERSON.
2 NEVER HIRE ANY RICH PERSON.
BY RULE 1, IT IS APPROPRIATE TO PRESUME THAT ALL DEGREES AND CREDENTIALS HELD BY A WEALTHY PERSON ARE FRAUDULENT. THIS JUSTIFIES RULE 2--RULE 1 NEEDS NO JUSTIFIC

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

i do think that the wagner rank-and-file guys are valuable enough as troops that they won't be serving serious time

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

euphronius posted:

knights were known for politically unbiased agents, that is true

I'm assuming it means, politics as in live questions about the process by which economic resources get allotted (apportioned, assigned) to their particular uses for directly or indirectly satisfying human wants.

DesertIslandHermit
Oct 7, 2019

It's beautiful. And it's for the god of...of...arts and crafts. I think that's what he said.

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

razorscooter
Nov 5, 2008

V. Illych L. posted:

they're getting downsized and prigozhin gets to take the rest with him to belarus and possibly go back to fighting bush wars in the sahel

he’s going to a big battlefield upstate where he can do as much war as he wants

OctaMurk
Jun 21, 2013

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

i fully anticipate prigozhin falling out of a window sometime in the next twelve months

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007

euphronius posted:

Putin does not act like a heartless paranoid dictator and jeet heer criticizes hil for appearing weak

it is very funny how every dullard was like theres no way they get out of this alive then they all got out of this alive

really queer Christmas
Apr 22, 2014

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Vomik
Jul 29, 2003

This post is dedicated to the brave Mujahideen fighters of Afghanistan

DesertIslandHermit posted:

*shoots a helicopter, watching it spin uncontrollably and make an explosive crash* Well it’s getting late. Time to go home.

did this actually happen?

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
So the end result appears to be:

- No MOD changes
- Pringles is exiled to a farm in Belarus
- Wagner gets nationalized anyways
- Wagner mercs who participated in the coup are fired (no charges though)

Seems like Prigo lost out on all fronts beyond "the guys who downed sone choppers aren't going to jail". Makes me assume Lukashenko's 'negotiations' were "if you march on moscow the Belarusian army will sandwich you".

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

"Network structures require a different relationship between combatants and civil society. Current warfare is characterized by ‘loose and diffuse organizational structures’ in which the underlying political will and mandate can no longer be imposed down to the lowest level of a hierarchical system. Rather, as in partisan warfare, individual political awareness is key. Due to the relative independence of soldiers in network-centric warfare, this type of warfare does not require an ‘archaic combatant’ (soldier of a nation state), but rather a democratic warrior. In the event of war, the actions of these combatants will be attributed to the political-cultural community on whose behalf they are acting."

"At first glance, the concept of the democratic warrior appears self-contradictory. Indeed, it combines seemingly contrasting value systems in a single conception. However, the example of a magnet or the model, favoured by Clausewitz, of the unity of polar opposition between attack and defence illustrates that this type of conflicted unity is not necessarily a logical opposition, but can also be a dynamic relationship in a continuum. One end of the continuum represents democratic equality and non-violent conflict resolution, while the other tends towards the limitation of war and violence, enforced with military means if necessary. Hence, one end embodies a civilized society and the other a subsystem of society the identity of which is defined by martial honour."

lol liberals have doomed us all / and/or, I look forward to becoming a dux bellorum

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011
did they cancel the end of history yet

Virtual Russian
Sep 15, 2008

Neurolimal posted:

So the end result appears to be:

- No MOD changes
- Pringles is exiled to a farm in Belarus
- Wagner gets nationalized anyways
- Wagner mercs who participated in the coup are fired (no charges though)

Seems like Prigo lost out on all fronts beyond "the guys who downed sone choppers aren't going to jail". Makes me assume Lukashenko's 'negotiations' were "if you march on moscow the Belarusian army will sandwich you".

you can't march on Moscow from the south, especially via voronezh. Lines become too long and the march itself takes so long you always get politically and militarily out maneuvered. If Denikin couldn't do it this guy sure wasn't going to.

Raine
Apr 30, 2013

ACCELERATIONIST SUPERDOOMER

PhilippAchtel
May 31, 2011

Sudden Loud Noise posted:

Putin is still in power, trans rights are still being denied across the country, and I'm still far too lazy to do voice training?! So much for a happy Pride Week!

Tommy need drinky

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
As always, it is the specter of communism which saves Russia

In this case it took the form of a tubby general Putin lets run a potato mini-commune

DesertIslandHermit
Oct 7, 2019

The Ghost of Rostov once again defends their homeland.

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
So is Wagner gone in the Ukraine theater or just rumor?

Part goes to Africa with Priggy and part sign up with the Russian military?

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

Queer Grenadier posted:

Wikipedia moves

Bikers think they own the road even in the middle of a civil war.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shogi
Nov 23, 2004

distant Pohjola
explaining to the kids that your pet sausage schizo-poster is now living happily at a potato farm in Belarus