Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Miss Lonelyhearts
Mar 22, 2003

The Bear s1 was good, it's not reinventing tv but who cares. Well made, mostly everyone is attractive while acting like they don't know it, I was emotionally invested by the 2nd or 3rd episode.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007
now i'm driving myself insane because i swore to god it was a loving coldplay song but it's not listed on any of the soundtracks, perhaps i have been mandela effected and that is the only reason i am confused

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

someone should reinvent tv

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?

Pepe Silvia Browne posted:

my rule of thumb over the past couple years has been:
if I hear a show is good from 2 different people, I'll check it out.

this is my general rule (unless it's something right in my wheelhouse) but the people have to have different tastes, like if my sci fi nerd friends all tell me about a show but none of my friends with other interests do I’m skeptical

Miss Lonelyhearts
Mar 22, 2003

now i'm driving myself insane because i swore to god it was a loving coldplay song but it's not listed on any of the soundtracks, perhaps i have been mandela effected and that is the only reason i am confused

Are you thinking of Impossible Germany by Wilco, a Chicago band?

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

i did just read that Robert Townsend apparently shows up in The Bear which is the first intriguing thing i've heard about it, Hollywood Shuffle rules

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

The only needle drops I remember from s1 were the Sufjan one and the Byrne/Eno collab one, I don't remember a Coldplay one

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

loquacius posted:

The only needle drops I remember from s1 were the Sufjan one and the Byrne/Eno collab one, I don't remember a Coldplay one

that's because you are from a parallel universe which merged with mine

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

the main character from the bear looks like a budget gene wilder

Miss Lonelyhearts
Mar 22, 2003

It's also got Ayo Edebiri as a main character, who I now see in everything. She was just in the Selma Hayak black mirror episode, plays a high schooler in this lesbian fight club movie, more stuff.

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

lol i forgot sufjan stevens converted to islam

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

AnimeIsTrash posted:

the main character from the bear looks like a budget gene wilder

they rushed to cast timothy chalamet as young wonka, if only they'd waited like one more year

Miss Lonelyhearts
Mar 22, 2003

Sufjan also wrote an ambient album w/ his stepdad and it's good.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

"wrote" an ambient album

BrownPepper
Dec 30, 2017

Miss Lonelyhearts posted:

Are you thinking of Impossible Germany by Wilco, a Chicago band?

there's a bunch of wilco songs in there i think. it's nonstop needle drops, so i would not be surprised if coldplay's in there somewhere or at least something equally goofy.

the show presents a really romanticized idea of what food service is like. the drug stuff comes up a bit but its portrayed as unusual, and the managers/chefs arent loving any of the lower level employees which is unrealistic in my experience. i still found the character stuff affecting- maybe a little manipulative but well portrayed.

haven't really clicked with any other new tv shows other than like righteous gemstones a few years ago. mostly rewatch king of the hill and x files and stuff like that when we eat dinner. they should bring back episodic tv imo

Antonymous
Apr 4, 2009

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

someone should reinvent tv

louie ck tried and look what happened to him

Antonymous
Apr 4, 2009

AnimeIsTrash posted:

lol i forgot sufjan stevens converted to islam

no that's cat stevens

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Antonymous posted:

RIP

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

Antonymous posted:

he won a Grammy

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007
Louie, Louie, Louie, Louieeeee
Louie, Louie, Louie, Lou-ancelled
Louie, Louie, Louie, Louieeeee
Louie, Louie, you're gonna get cancelled

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Back in the mid 2000s my sister was convinced Sufjan Stevens was just Cat Stevens' Muslim name

Antonymous
Apr 4, 2009

its funny that louie's show got cancelled right after his self insert character attempts to rape Pamela and the show doesn't seem to be self aware about it for some reason

and then the news broke and it's like oooo a lot of stuff makes sense now

Antonymous has issued a correction as of 21:41 on Jun 24, 2023

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

loquacius posted:

Back in the mid 2000s my sister was convinced Sufjan Stevens was just Cat Stevens' Muslim name

it is

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Why is the Single Female Lawyer song from Futurama stuck in my head, I haven't even watched that show in like eight years

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

🎼 Super King has all the powers of a king plus all the powers of Superman 🎶

Best Friends
Nov 4, 2011

indigi posted:

this is my general rule (unless it's something right in my wheelhouse) but the people have to have different tastes, like if my sci fi nerd friends all tell me about a show but none of my friends with other interests do I’m skeptical

my d&d friends think it’s their duty to see every comic book or fantasy movie and tv show. the first one will see some pure dreck and be like “it’s awful, really bad” then the rest see it and next week they’ll agree, crestfallen. whenever a comic thing has any redeeming qualities it’s like they got told their cancer is in remission, pure joy, the darkness abated.

Les Os
Mar 29, 2010
Sufjan X

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

Best Friends posted:

my d&d friends think it’s their duty to see every comic book or fantasy movie and tv show. the first one will see some pure dreck and be like “it’s awful, really bad” then the rest see it and next week they’ll agree, crestfallen. whenever a comic thing has any redeeming qualities it’s like they got told their cancer is in remission, pure joy, the darkness abated.
genuinely do not understand these people

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

loquacius posted:

the first time i heard sufjan's name i thought that's what happened lol

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

Best Friends posted:

for decades I thought the entire medium of comics was banal, ugly, and often fascist because of these people with a few rare exceptions here and there and only recently realized how untrue that is. I like to imagine an alternate timeline where instead of marvel people threw money at 2000ad to make Rogue Trooper and Nemesis the Warlock movies

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo

Xaris posted:

genuinely do not understand these people
discourse brain. also, a constant diet of commercial pop culture reassures them things are normal and fine.

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

https://twitter.com/DiscussingFilm/status/1671896193990025217

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007
i wonder if they're gonna incorporate those morons continuing to hold gamestop stock like they're Iraqi dinars, waiting for the hedgies to finally fold and make their millions

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

you can keep up with the discourse just by reading the wikipedia or watching a youtube review. there's generally just like 1 or 2 things that actually happen in these movies that's memorable, usually some "easter eggs" for the nerds, and so on, such that there's really only a few talking points that people have to say about these movies. i haven't watched marvel movies in a while but i can keep up with my coworkers who do watch them without missing a beat.

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

Mantis42 posted:

you can keep up with the discourse just by reading the wikipedia or watching a youtube review. there's generally just like 1 or 2 things that actually happen in these movies that's memorable, usually some "easter eggs" for the nerds, and so on, such that there's really only a few talking points that people have to say about these movies. i haven't watched marvel movies in a while but i can keep up with my coworkers who do watch them without missing a beat.

that's funny, you're like the inverse of the IT Crowd episode where Moss has the app to tell him how to talk to football fans

Honky Mao
Dec 26, 2012

If my coworkers talked about every marvel movie I would simply drive my car into the Delaware river

sonatinas
Apr 15, 2003

Seattle Karate Vs. L.A. Karate

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

i did just read that Robert Townsend apparently shows up in The Bear which is the first intriguing thing i've heard about it, Hollywood Shuffle rules

lol I was just telling my spouse our kid was acting like the dude in the Jheri curl scene after he had his taken away.

https://youtu.be/65ltaw4SF38

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

Anthony Bourdain convinced too many people that working in a restaurant is interesting

I read Kitchen Confidential a month or two ago and it convinced me to abandon my "retirement dream" of running a tiny restaurant where I both own the place and do most of the cooking.

what about The Bear but it's a show about a big fat hairy gay guy?

Now we're talking.

C-Euro has issued a correction as of 03:29 on Jun 25, 2023

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.

AnimeIsTrash posted:

lets go lads, 6 hours without jaxyon

how hurt is your butt on like a 1-10 scale

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.
anyway the bear is good.

reminds me of rescue me, a show with a fairly boring premise that is mostly about character drama