Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

2.5 is fine

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tumble
Jun 24, 2003
I'm not thinking of anything!

Does anybody know exactly what "went wrong" with the bread on my right?

Yesterday I made the anadama bread that's on the right side (the little piece) and it is denser and drier in a good way that anadama bread is supposed to be. I think i actually used a little less water on accident but it actually turned out right. The big loaf on the left is the one that I took out a little while ago it's way too fluffy and crusty, does anybody know specifically what I should do to make this recipe to produce it the way I did the first time?

Recipe
1 1/2 cups water
1/4 cup molasses
1/4 cup dry skim milk powder
1 1/2 tsp salt
2 Tbsp unsalted butter or margarine, cut in pieces
3/4 cup yellow cornmeal
4 1/2 cups bread flour
2 tsp bread machine yeast
1/2 cup unsalted sunflower seeds

Tumble fucked around with this message at 20:55 on May 2, 2023

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Tumble posted:

Does anybody know exactly what "went wrong" with the bread on my right?

Yesterday I made the anadama bread that's on the right side (the little piece) and it is denser and drier in a good way that anadama bread is supposed to be. I think i actually used a little less water on accident but it actually turned out right. The big loaf on the left is the one that I took out a little while ago it's way too fluffy and crusty, does anybody know specifically what I should do to make this recipe to produce it the way I did the first time?

Recipe
1 1/2 cups water
1/4 cup molasses
1/4 cup dry skim milk powder
1 1/2 tsp salt
2 Tbsp unsalted butter or margarine, cut in pieces
3/4 cup yellow cornmeal
4 1/2 cups bread flour
2 tsp bread machine yeast
1/2 cup unsalted sunflower seeds

That looks like way too little water for that much flour and cornmeal.

Tumble
Jun 24, 2003

therattle posted:

That looks like way too little water for that much flour and cornmeal.

You'd think so but yesterday the loaf came out perfect, while today I (think) I actually added the recipes stated amount of water and the loaf is WAY too fluffy and moist compared to yesterday when I'm pretty sure I accidentally added 320ml instead of 1.5 cups and the loaf came out perfectly dense but I'm only half certain I did that.

However today the bread is WAY too fluffy and I think that is because of too much water? I am a bread newbie.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Are you weighing? 1 cup of flour is about 125g or about half the density of water. You'll easily get +/- 25 grams a cup.

Tumble
Jun 24, 2003

Submarine Sandpaper posted:

Are you weighing? 1 cup of flour is about 125g or about half the density of water. You'll easily get +/- 25 grams a cup.

I have a scale I typically use, but this recipe is in cups so I just measured.

Solarin
Nov 15, 2007

Tumble posted:

You'd think so but yesterday the loaf came out perfect, while today I (think) I actually added the recipes stated amount of water and the loaf is WAY too fluffy and moist compared to yesterday when I'm pretty sure I accidentally added 320ml instead of 1.5 cups and the loaf came out perfectly dense but I'm only half certain I did that.

However today the bread is WAY too fluffy and I think that is because of too much water? I am a bread newbie.

I‘ve recently had loaves using identical proportions come out hugely different just because of the ambient temperature. Yeast development is really dependent on temperature/humidity. Like a loaf I made on an 85F day was dramatically more airy than one I made on a 65F day. Skilled bakers compensate for this but I am not a skilled baker, so it’s just an observation I made in my recent loaves.

Seems like you’re using a bread machine so I really don’t know what proofing is like with that baking method. Just a thought since more airy bread is probably related to yeast development at the point of baking.

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

Oh, and Jones was there too.

https://mygerman.recipes/rye-bread-german-bakery-version/

I made this again yesterday but with wholegrain spelt instead of strong white, and it came out lovely.

I normally do 420 of water, but I tried 450 yesterday and the method from the video, and jesus that's a core workout.

Edit: https://artofeating.com/real-rye-bread/
This is a fantastic article. You can get around the paywall with unblock origin's bypass paywalls filter.

Nettle Soup fucked around with this message at 12:54 on May 3, 2023

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.
I forgot about my sourdough last night, so it had a very extended first proove (all at room temp) and a very curtailed second one. It turned out well, all things considered, but give the yeast a full day and it'll earn the name sourdough.

Mauser
Dec 16, 2003

How did I even get here, son?!
some more baguettes, this one did in one day just to try out the slap and fold method linked upthread

They were pretty flavorless because they were done in about six hours, but it was a fun learning experience

Action shot of my usual no-knead method done today (I meant to do some kneading, but got heavily distracted by meetings and then work).

and end result

The shaping is still challenging. I need to get something to transfer them from the couche to the stone because that's always a bit of a mess and I just tossed my razor blade in the trash because it's too old now.

As an Empath...
Aug 19, 2022
Made Sourdough Pumpkin Pancakes from the Perfect Loaf this morning and they were delicious (even though they're not seasonally appropriate). It's going to be my go to pumpkin pancake recipe for now on. I had to make a few substitutions as I was missing ingredients. Didn't have any eggs so I replaced them with ground flax seed; no buttermilk so I subbed it out for whole milk and 1 tbs of lemon juice. Still came out amazing and I'm really pleased with the results.

I've been feeding my starter a combo of rye and bread flour; it really seems to thrive on that and it gave the pancakes such a great flavor.

oscarthewilde
May 16, 2012

I would often go there
To the tiny church there
I’m looking for a relatively simple, good whole-wheat recipe. It looked at the King Arthur and Serious Eats ones, but they looked a bit finicky. Anyone have any go-to’s?

effika
Jun 19, 2005
Birds do not want you to know any more than you already do.

oscarthewilde posted:

I’m looking for a relatively simple, good whole-wheat recipe. It looked at the King Arthur and Serious Eats ones, but they looked a bit finicky. Anyone have any go-to’s?

For a sandwich loaf? Artisan-style boule? Dinner rolls? Bread-machine? No-knead? Something that's just flour, water, salt, and yeast? Fat or eggs ok? Other grains OK, or only 100% whole wheat? Inclusions like herbs or seeds or nuts or fruit? (Craisins and walnuts make a great whole wheat loaf, btw.)

Based on what you're wanting we can find a recipe you might like.

And if those recipe sources seem finicky, it's because they're trying to get a Random Internet Stranger to do the exact same thing the recipe author did, so they've put all the variables down so you can get as close as possible.

oscarthewilde
May 16, 2012

I would often go there
To the tiny church there

effika posted:

For a sandwich loaf? Artisan-style boule? Dinner rolls? Bread-machine? No-knead? Something that's just flour, water, salt, and yeast? Fat or eggs ok? Other grains OK, or only 100% whole wheat? Inclusions like herbs or seeds or nuts or fruit? (Craisins and walnuts make a great whole wheat loaf, btw.)

Based on what you're wanting we can find a recipe you might like.

And if those recipe sources seem finicky, it's because they're trying to get a Random Internet Stranger to do the exact same thing the recipe author did, so they've put all the variables down so you can get as close as possible.

Anything really, but either a sandwich loaf or boule to start with. Don’t have a standing mixer, I do have a kitchenaid. Preferable whole meal only, but besides that no real preferences. Thanks for the help anyway

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

oscarthewilde posted:

Anything really, but either a sandwich loaf or boule to start with. Don’t have a standing mixer, I do have a kitchenaid. Preferable whole meal only, but besides that no real preferences. Thanks for the help anyway

A KitchenAid what? If it's not a stand mixer?

effika
Jun 19, 2005
Hmm, you're also using the term whole meal. What country are you in? That might tailor some of our recommendations.

Power Walrus
Dec 24, 2003

Fun Shoe
If you’re using whole-grains, you can reference this mill’s blog. They have a handful of recipes, but this sourdough loaf is planned with whole-grains in mind.

https://www.gristandtoll.com/sourdough-bread-formula/

Books On Tape
Dec 26, 2003

Future of the franchise
Anyone have a good hoagie/sub roll recipe? Looking for something soft with maybe a slightly crunchy crust.

Power Walrus
Dec 24, 2003

Fun Shoe
I made a 70/30 white/whole einkorn loaf using Ken Forkish’s Overnight White recipe, and modified the hydration down to 72%. Bulk rise was about 12 hours, followed by a short cold proof, about 3 hours.

It’s delicious! I baked them in a Dutch oven and the Challenger iron, adding ice cubes as I loaded them in the oven.

Sir Sidney Poitier
Aug 14, 2006

My favourite actor

Power Walrus posted:

I made a 70/30 white/whole einkorn loaf using Ken Forkish’s Overnight White recipe, and modified the hydration down to 72%. Bulk rise was about 12 hours, followed by a short cold proof, about 3 hours.

It’s delicious! I baked them in a Dutch oven and the Challenger iron, adding ice cubes as I loaded them in the oven.

A beautiful pair of bulbous bitches, would eat.

luscious
Mar 8, 2005

Who can find a virtuous woman,
For her price is far above rubies.
Does anyone have a good naan recipe? I tried one last week but it ended up tasting and smelling like beer. Before attempting again, with another random internet recipe, I thought I would ask here. I will be frying it in cast iron as I do not have a tandoori in my tiny apartment.

As an Empath...
Aug 19, 2022

luscious posted:

Does anyone have a good naan recipe? I tried one last week but it ended up tasting and smelling like beer. Before attempting again, with another random internet recipe, I thought I would ask here. I will be frying it in cast iron as I do not have a tandoori in my tiny apartment.

If you have a sourdough starter going, I've used this one a few times and they've come out great: Sourdough Naan Recipe. Pretty straight forward and it also calls for them being cooked in cast iron pan.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
There's a good chance I'll already have taken action by the time anyone replies to this, but I'll ask anyway: is there a particular "best way" to share sourdough starter with someone? My sister-in-law / neighbor is asking for some help since her starter apparently died.

Meanwhile, I'm following my usual routine, which means I gave my starter a feeding last night to "prime" it, refrigerated it overnight, then took it out this morning and used most of it to make bread. And then re-fed it. (I use the 100% hydration, 113g feeding formula from King Arthur.)

Is there any trick to it other than just feeding it a little more and giving her half of it? Because that's most likely what I'll do. I'm probably overthinking by even asking the question, but it can't hurt.

effika
Jun 19, 2005

Sir Lemming posted:

There's a good chance I'll already have taken action by the time anyone replies to this, but I'll ask anyway: is there a particular "best way" to share sourdough starter with someone? My sister-in-law / neighbor is asking for some help since her starter apparently died.

Meanwhile, I'm following my usual routine, which means I gave my starter a feeding last night to "prime" it, refrigerated it overnight, then took it out this morning and used most of it to make bread. And then re-fed it. (I use the 100% hydration, 113g feeding formula from King Arthur.)

Is there any trick to it other than just feeding it a little more and giving her half of it? Because that's most likely what I'll do. I'm probably overthinking by even asking the question, but it can't hurt.

That's exactly what you do: build more starter with a larger feeding and give away the extra.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

You're over thinking. I usually just put some discard in a smaller mason jar or delitainer and fork it.

Tea Party Crasher
Sep 3, 2012

I've been making shokupan lately and I just can't get enough.

It's so fluffy and delicious, it's definitely my new favorite recipe. Plus, unlike my prefermented whole wheat recipe I don't have to plan ahead all that much.

Tea Party Crasher
Sep 3, 2012

Power Walrus posted:

These are beautiful. Respect

Tea Party Crasher
Sep 3, 2012

oscarthewilde posted:

My friends like this recipe that I make:

Preferment:

Half cup of whole wheat, with one teaspoon of active dry yeast mixed in+half cup water. Leave it overnight.

Recipe:

Mix two cups of bread flour with two teaspoons of active dry yeast and one and 1/2 teaspoons of salt.

Mix two tablespoons of honey into 1 and 3/4 cups of water (about 70% hydration.)

Put your preferment into the same bowl as your flour mix, along with a tablespoon of either all olive oil or unsalted butter, and add your water bit by bit and integrate it into the mix to make sure everything sticks together.

Once that is done slap and fold for about 5 minutes. When it's ready it should be getting smooth and stop sticking to your hands, which means that you can flip it on to a lightly floured surface and tuck it into itself like a sock. Leave it in a covered oiled bowl to rest for 1 hour.

Once the hour's up, put it on your lightly floured counter and gently deflate it with your fingers (Make sure to press against the whole surface, bubbles might cause some tears in the oven). Fold one end in half, then cover that fold with the other half and gently press with the bottom of your palms. Tuck it like a sock again to get around shape and leave it and a proving bowl on top of parchment paper for another 30 minutes.

What I like to do at this point is preheat my oven to 375 Fahrenheit with a cast iron pan inside. This isn't necessary but it does give you a nice rise.

If you are doing my pre heated pan method, just pick up your dough with the parchment paper and put it in the pan. Add a tray with a little bit of water in it to get your oven steamy. Once you close your oven door you can reduce the temperature to 350 Fahrenheit, and let it bake for 35 minutes.

Voila you should have something pretty tasty with a nice crust.

Power Walrus
Dec 24, 2003

Fun Shoe

Tea Party Crasher posted:

I've been making shokupan lately and I just can't get enough.

It's so fluffy and delicious, it's definitely my new favorite recipe. Plus, unlike my prefermented whole wheat recipe I don't have to plan ahead all that much.

Daaamn those look good! Shokupan makes for some terrific texture; fluffy, springy rolls.

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day
made some bread today, it's fine but little dense. haven't made bread in long time. I'm terrible at cutting slits, I even used a scalpel and it hung up and pulled it.

used this recipe
https://www.kingarthurbaking.com/recipes/the-easiest-loaf-of-bread-youll-ever-bake-recipe

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

LifeSunDeath posted:

made some bread today, it's fine but little dense. haven't made bread in long time. I'm terrible at cutting slits, I even used a scalpel and it hung up and pulled it.
Those are very pretty breads!

I'm having the same problem re slashing. I think, judging by my last loaf, that I haven't been pressing hard enough. You don't want to delicately glide across the skin, you want to press right in. The other tip is dipping your razor/lame/scalpel in water to keep the dough from sticking to the blade.

e: I note that the KA recipe you linked tells you that if your house isn't warm enough for bread to rise overnight, put the dough in your oven with the light turned on. Not much use in this LED era.

Tea Party Crasher
Sep 3, 2012

Arsenic Lupin posted:

Those are very pretty breads!

I'm having the same problem re slashing. I think, judging by my last loaf, that I haven't been pressing hard enough.

I thought the opposite was true. Whenever I score my bread, I use a serrated knife with a little bit of vegetable oil on it, hold the knife perpendicular to the top of the dough and pull towards myself as straight as I can.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

I thought the opposite was true. Whenever I score my bread, I use a serrated knife with a little bit of vegetable oil on it, hold the knife perpendicular to the top of the dough and pull towards myself as straight as I can.

Yeah, that's what we do at the bakery. We use a spare blade froma bread slicing machine. Sharp af

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day

ok I'm gonna try this next run.

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

Oh, and Jones was there too.

I bought a pullman tin. Pretty good!

Tea Party Crasher
Sep 3, 2012

That is a gorgeous loaf. You've convinced me to buy one

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!

Arsenic Lupin posted:

e: I note that the KA recipe you linked tells you that if your house isn't warm enough for bread to rise overnight, put the dough in your oven with the light turned on. Not much use in this LED era.

Counterpoint: newer ovens can be set to some pretty low temperatures. Failing that, they will hold a short burst of heat for a long time.

Comedy option: get a some crappy shop light that can take an old incandescent or a heat lamp bulb. Don't tell the family what you're doing, so they'll get spooked at 4AM when they pop out for a snack and the oven's got light leaking out like a spaceship.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

It would surprise me if we suddenly had made the technological jump that made led bulbs in ovens viable.

angerbot
Mar 23, 2004

plob
The government clearly states that all oven lightbulbs must live in fiddly little enclosures with screws not encountered anywhere else on earth and be impossible to find replacements for.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

angerbeet posted:

The government clearly states that all oven lightbulbs must live in fiddly little enclosures with screws not encountered anywhere else on earth and be impossible to find replacements for.

My model has a lightbulb cover that’s impossible to remove.