Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cubicle gangster
Jun 26, 2005

magda, make the tea
I'm confused, why can you only grab the raw diffuse with max?
You can use every map in there to recreate the pbr shaders as previewed in whatever package you use.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Here are some of the free PBR texture sites I link for my students. Quality varies, and some sites are a mix of free and paid, but it's a start:

https://ambientcg.com/
https://www.cgbookcase.com/textures/
https://freepbr.com/
https://blendermada.com/materials/
https://www.textures.com/browse/pbr-materials/114558
https://cgaxis.com/free/
https://www.texturecan.com/
https://polyhaven.com/textures

Telltolin
Apr 4, 2004

cubicle gangster posted:

I'm confused, why can you only grab the raw diffuse with max?
You can use every map in there to recreate the pbr shaders as previewed in whatever package you use.

Oh no, I definitely use all of those, I just can't use the .blend file :shobon:

I just had a big collection of images that I could use when building textures, sometimes I generate the other maps on my own. Like if I make the texture painting in zbrush

This is ridiculously useful thank you :D

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope

Telltolin posted:

Thank you, this is very helpful! I'm grabbing a bunch from here -- I use 3ds max (i've been too lazy to learn blender properly) but I can grab the raw diffuse from these.

I'm still on the look out for a, like, a free (and legal) zip file full of 600 various assorted textures, so if anybody has something like that I'd still love to grab it!

It's not literally free, but if you become Polyhaven's patreon at the $5 tier, you get access to mass downloads

cubicle gangster
Jun 26, 2005

magda, make the tea
Here's something i've been working on for a while.

https://www.papercitymag.com/real-estate/four-seasons-private-residences-lake-austin-creates-2-million-holodeck-real-estate-amenities/

We've been on this project for 3 years now - the CEO of DBOX is now the lead architect, after starting as only a consultant. His first bit of a built architecture will be a billion dollar four seasons, which is pretty sick. Think he's planning to retire after that, one and done.
Over the last 2.5 years we've done almost 200 images - from varying stages of design to the final marketing set. i've probably done the majority of 3/4 of those, it's been a long process. I didnt lead any of the ones in the article. lots that arent public and are kept back for the sales process to have impact.

The client always wanted to build out a full unit sized VR experience - a space big enough to walk the property in 1:1 VR. We couldn't do it alone at DBOX, so we partnered with 2 other studios - Pureblink, to take our final scenes and recreate them in UE, including all the moves that were made in photoshop so they look as close to identical to the final renders as possible, and Agile lens, they handled the tech side - building a drop ceiling covered in IR sensors, camera tracking, multiplayer, all the poo poo needed so that when 5 people are in VR, they're exactly where they're supposed to be, so the tour can end with someone being asked to sit a chair that matches the chair in VR and it's in the correct place. Apparently thats pretty loving tough!

We had a lot of help from epic along the way, they were very involved in helping with some of the more forward thinking parts and gave a lot of insight into optimization. We did get to hear from the CTO at epic that they've never seen anyone push the quality and realism of VR as far as we have, so that's nice. It really does look exactly like our final renders - we have full raytracing on every reflective surface and zero visible shortcuts, pureblink did an incredible job there.

Myself, and the founders of pure blink and agile lens will be doing a talk about the project at unreal fest in October - we just got our slot confirmed! so thats fun. If anyone from here plans to be there it would be cool to get a beer.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

cubicle gangster posted:

Here's something i've been working on for a while.

https://www.papercitymag.com/real-estate/four-seasons-private-residences-lake-austin-creates-2-million-holodeck-real-estate-amenities/

We've been on this project for 3 years now - the CEO of DBOX is now the lead architect, after starting as only a consultant. His first bit of a built architecture will be a billion dollar four seasons, which is pretty sick. Think he's planning to retire after that, one and done.
Over the last 2.5 years we've done almost 200 images - from varying stages of design to the final marketing set. i've probably done the majority of 3/4 of those, it's been a long process. I didnt lead any of the ones in the article. lots that arent public and are kept back for the sales process to have impact.

The client always wanted to build out a full unit sized VR experience - a space big enough to walk the property in 1:1 VR. We couldn't do it alone at DBOX, so we partnered with 2 other studios - Pureblink, to take our final scenes and recreate them in UE, including all the moves that were made in photoshop so they look as close to identical to the final renders as possible, and Agile lens, they handled the tech side - building a drop ceiling covered in IR sensors, camera tracking, multiplayer, all the poo poo needed so that when 5 people are in VR, they're exactly where they're supposed to be, so the tour can end with someone being asked to sit a chair that matches the chair in VR and it's in the correct place. Apparently thats pretty loving tough!

We had a lot of help from epic along the way, they were very involved in helping with some of the more forward thinking parts and gave a lot of insight into optimization. We did get to hear from the CTO at epic that they've never seen anyone push the quality and realism of VR as far as we have, so that's nice. It really does look exactly like our final renders - we have full raytracing on every reflective surface and zero visible shortcuts, pureblink did an incredible job there.

Myself, and the founders of pure blink and agile lens will be doing a talk about the project at unreal fest in October - we just got our slot confirmed! so thats fun. If anyone from here plans to be there it would be cool to get a beer.

God that's so cool. Will there ever be footage of the walkthrough or will that be at UE Fest? I've been trying to get our team to go but can't seem to generate any excitement for some reason despite the fact they live in UE every day.

Also I just straight up love New Orleans to death.

cubicle gangster
Jun 26, 2005

magda, make the tea
We've been discussing how to represent it for the talk - thinking of filming/putting together a couple minutes showing people walking around the space and what they are seeing split screen. Nothing too in depth that way - just a sizzle reel before we go into detail about the whole process.
We will figure that out next month. There are no plans for a significant amount of footage to be shown - at the end of the day, this is a sales tool, and showing too much about it while talking about the technical side can take away from the intended experience. We'd never want a potential buyer to think they 'get it' before they're walked it.

I've never been to New Orleans - planning to go early with my wife and get a vacation in!

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

As someone who lives in Raleigh, I am annoyed Unreal Fest isn't just here.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Alterian posted:

As someone who lives in Raleigh, I am annoyed Unreal Fest isn't just here.

Does Epic do any event for the area?

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

cubicle gangster posted:

I've never been to New Orleans - planning to go early with my wife and get a vacation in!

Do ittttt. It's so much fun. First half of my life I just lived a couple hours away so we went a ton. It's dirty, grimy, sweaty (although prob not so much in October) and just full of life and culture. Grit in the best way.

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

BonoMan posted:

Does Epic do any event for the area?

Nothing big. They don't even come to the East Coast Games Conference in Raleigh anymore.

cubicle gangster
Jun 26, 2005

magda, make the tea

BonoMan posted:

Do ittttt. It's so much fun.

Oh it's 100% happening, just need to decide where we are staying and how many additional days.
Would love to pick your brain on recommendations! Where to stay for the first half, where to eat, what to see etc
And let me know if you're able to swing it, would be great to hang out!

SpoonsForThought
Jul 1, 2007

cubicle gangster posted:

Oh it's 100% happening, just need to decide where we are staying and how many additional days.
Would love to pick your brain on recommendations! Where to stay for the first half, where to eat, what to see etc
And let me know if you're able to swing it, would be great to hang out!

I’ve been staying downtown at the Virgin hotel when I’ve been in New Orleans over the last year. It’s kind of a scene, but actually pretty nice. Short little Uber from the French quarter.

Been ages since I’ve posted in the thread, but after working with Cubicle for 5+ years and a short stint at a tech company that shall not be named, I’ve now been at TurboSquid/Shutterstock for the last year. We are working on some really exciting things that I should be able to talk more about starting in the next week or so.

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

I hope it's more AI. Can it be more AI? I LOVE TALKING ABOUT AI I SWEAR. CAN'T YOU SEE HOW EXCITED I AM ABOUT AI PLEASE PLEASE MORE AI

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

With how cheap places like fivver and upwork can be, one of the concerns we have to keep an eye out for in the intro to modeling class is a student paying someone $5 to do their project for them.

EoinCannon
Aug 29, 2008

Grimey Drawer

mutata posted:

I hope it's more AI. Can it be more AI? I LOVE TALKING ABOUT AI I SWEAR. CAN'T YOU SEE HOW EXCITED I AM ABOUT AI PLEASE PLEASE MORE AI

Seconded
Seeing human creativity stolen, debased and spewed back out is exciting to me

Odddzy
Oct 10, 2007
Once shot a man in Reno.

Alterian posted:

With how cheap places like fivver and upwork can be, one of the concerns we have to keep an eye out for in the intro to modeling class is a student paying someone $5 to do their project for them.

Does it seem to you people like the industry is on a decline currently? AI talk kind of brought me in that mental headspace and I would like to have some outside feedback.

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

Most of my contract work outside of teaching is photogrammetry.

I wore my students that the days of getting entry level work where you're modeling chairs and tables is gone.

Listerine
Jan 5, 2005

Exquisite Corpse

Alterian posted:

Some folks had the same concern regarding their writing classes, and the most creative solution I read was to assign the students the job of using AI to generate a piece of writing, and then the students had to mark it and assess it critically. You could do something similar, assign students the task of using AI to generate a model/texture/whatever and then make them responsible for fixing the errors or otherwise improving/adjusting/adapting the output.

Listerine
Jan 5, 2005

Exquisite Corpse
Whoops double post.

Haven't been to New Orleans in literally 20 years but I see that Brigtsen's is still in business, that place was excellent when I used to go and it was a nice spot away from the hectic parts of town.

KinkyJohn
Sep 19, 2002

I'm wondering if it would be a good idea to move to Blender because of its open nature and the way ai integrations are being developed.

By the way, I made an ai LoRA model for generating unique iris textures: https://civitai.com/models/87994/airis-eye-texture

roomtone
Jul 1, 2021

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 13 days!)

Alterian posted:

Most of my contract work outside of teaching is photogrammetry.

I wore my students that the days of getting entry level work where you're modeling chairs and tables is gone.

So what replaced it? I'm going to do a course in computer animation in a couple of months and I'd like to get a sense of what things are going to look like in a year or two, job wise. I'm sure I'll be able to find some kind of niche. Still working on improving my skills and figuring out exactly what area I want to focus on.

Anyway here's what I'm working on today:

Doing a few things here I haven't before - making hair with hair planes, painting skin tones, and just generally aiming higher than flat shaded low poly. I just threw a photo of some lips on there for now. No element of this is finished, I'll probably be tweaking and improving it for weeks because I think I'll use this as the character for a game I have in mind.

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

Cheap labor not in the US and just buying asset packs.

roomtone
Jul 1, 2021

by Fluffdaddy

I meant what has replaced simple modelling etc as entry level jobs in 3D, not what people do instead of that now.

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

If you want to get a job in games, train to be a tech artist.

It really depends on what industry you want to get into with 3d.

SubNat
Nov 27, 2008

Yeah, I've gotten all my work out of school on the strength of being able to optimize large scenes and some basic development as a tech artist (Realtime/VR) more than doing much in the way of modelling. (But non-game VR was my goal then, too.)
If you're looking at animation courses, then I could suggest also looking at modern mocap and virtual production solutions a bit as well. Or hunker down and learn some simple programming and development if the interest takes you there.

Being a bit of a generalist, and being able to put together some prototypes to showcase in a portfolio would also point that you can adapt and probably be onboarded into a couple different roles, not so much if you can only do 3D modelling.
The big thing is really if you explicitly really want to get into games, and only games. I can't really give any specific pointers for that, but a bit of programming and development ability opens up a lot of extra doors.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

I was working more on shaders and particle effects more towards the end of my last job than most of the art related duties that I was originally brought on for and kept pushing for more training and a tech art position. All that was for nothing though when the entire art department was axed for completely outsourced art. :|

tango alpha delta
Sep 9, 2011

Ask me about my wealthy lifestyle and passive income! I love bragging about my wealth to my lessers! My opinions are more valid because I have more money than you! Stealing the fruits of the labor of the working class is okay, so long as you don't do it using crypto. More money = better than!
I’m playing with Stable Diffusion locally on both my PC and my iPhone and I have really mixed feelings about this technology. It’s very, very impressive but I am very uncomfortable knowing that the training data was basically stolen from real human artists and photographers.

tango alpha delta
Sep 9, 2011

Ask me about my wealthy lifestyle and passive income! I love bragging about my wealth to my lessers! My opinions are more valid because I have more money than you! Stealing the fruits of the labor of the working class is okay, so long as you don't do it using crypto. More money = better than!

EoinCannon posted:

Seconded
Seeing human creativity stolen, debased and spewed back out is exciting to me

I’m out on a limb here, but who else thinks this all started because a programmer had a crush on an artist, but the artist rejected the programmers affections?

Big K of Justice
Nov 27, 2005

Anyone seen my ball joints?

Alterian posted:

If you want to get a job in games, train to be a tech artist.

It really depends on what industry you want to get into with 3d.

I can say this as someone who went from Film VFX to Games working in VFX and Tech Artist stuff, the largest in demand / paying / hard to find spots is VFX, Tech Art, and environment artist in the AAA space.

Easy to find juniors but people with experience? Woof.

My biggest regret in my life was not jumping to games earlier in my career. I could have went to Blizzard a long time ago. Ah well. Making up for lost time now.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
I'm just gonna drop this here

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YE9rEQAGpLw

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Doctor Rope
Blender 3.6 was released. Probably the biggest single feature is simulation nodes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0-LiGWgKRgk

Listerine
Jan 5, 2005

Exquisite Corpse

Wheany posted:

Blender 3.6 was released. Probably the biggest single feature is simulation nodes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0-LiGWgKRgk

What does the LTS stand for?

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Doctor Rope

Listerine posted:

What does the LTS stand for?

Long Term Support

Megafunk
Oct 19, 2010

YEAH!
Seems like the LTS releases are supposed to be supported for 2 years: https://code.blender.org/2023/02/blender-release-cycle-update/

My only fear with blender updates has been my growing list of add-ons that can break... Most of them are quickly maintained/updated but you never know.

roomtone
Jul 1, 2021

by Fluffdaddy

i don't like updating blender because i lose track of which version has which addons enabled/installed, and which version i used for which file because sometimes the materials break between versions or it fucks up the editor and i need to waste time resetting it.

you're not really updating you're just downloading another instance of blender which is slightly different. i've got 3 on my laptop right now. maybe there's an updater tool.

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Doctor Rope
Blender also recently released a set of human base meshes, with a CC0 license:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qSR-qK2vRQY

Keket
Apr 18, 2009

Mhmm

roomtone posted:

you're not really updating you're just downloading another instance of blender which is slightly different. i've got 3 on my laptop right now. maybe there's an updater tool.

I make a blue blender icon for my lts. Also I think the steam version of blender updates/relinks your add-ons, you just need to re-enable them.

Another thing you can do with blender is point it at an extra/external folder(s) as a script folder. That way you can just unzip into there and have multiple versions of blender all look at one location instead of the own 'appdata/blenderversion/scripts' folder.

I'd highly rate people stick to lts versions as that's what I urge my team to stick with, as add-on makers and even add-on.. archivists? (There's people updating older addons for new versions that otherwise would of been abandoned) seem to be pretty quick about getting addons compatible with lts versions.

Elukka
Feb 18, 2011

For All Mankind
The elites don't want you to know this but the different versions of Blender are free you can download them I have 458 versions of Blender

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neon Noodle
Nov 11, 2016

there's nothing wrong here in montana

Elukka posted:

The elites don't want you to know this but the different versions of Blender are free you can download them I have 458 versions of Blender