Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ragaduffin
Nov 28, 2007
Far out dude

500excf type r posted:

that f150 can hold ~3x more

I'm not so sure. Thats a Ford F150 with the extended passenger compartment - note the 4 full size doors (the rear doors are not reverse hinged, they are normal car doors). That bed is on the shorter size, either the shortest - 5.5 feet, or the middle length, 6.5 feet, and 50.5 (4.2 feet) inches wide. I do not care about depth, because they make these things called cargo straps.

A Kei truck typically has a bed length of 6.7 feet, and 4.6 ft wide.

Maybe I made up all of these numbers, or maybe modern trucks are absolute garbage that are only status symbols rarely used for their intended purpose. Of course, towing capacity varies wildly between these two, but

In conclusion, gently caress cars.

edit: and if you mean 3x weight - then yes, I concede. Kei truck can haul 770 lbs, while the manly F150 can haul 2,200 or so, more if it has the huge bed. Of course, you could afford a swarm of kei trucks for the price of one of Ford monstrosities.

edit 2. what a terrible top of the page. In gently caress car news, I'm shopping for a pannier for my bike, so I can be less sweaty and haul more cargo, so if any one has suggestions, do that.

Ragaduffin has issued a correction as of 19:56 on Jun 23, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

larper
Apr 9, 2019

Ragaduffin posted:

I'm not so sure. Thats a Ford F150 with the extended passenger compartment - note the 4 full size doors (the rear doors are not reverse hinged, they are normal car doors). That bed is on the shorter size, either the shortest - 5.5 feet, or the middle length, 6.5 feet, and 50.5 (4.2 feet) inches wide. I do not care about depth, because they make these things called cargo straps.

A Kei truck typically has a bed length of 6.7 feet, and 4.6 ft wide.

Maybe I made up all of these numbers, or maybe modern trucks are absolute garbage that are only status symbols rarely used for their intended purpose. Of course, towing capacity varies wildly between these two, but

In conclusion, gently caress cars.

edit: and if you mean 3x weight - then yes, I concede. Kei truck can haul 770 lbs, while the manly F150 can haul 2,200 or so, more if it has the huge bed. Of course, you could afford a swarm of kei trucks for the price of one of Ford monstrosities.

edit 2. what a terrible top of the page. In gently caress car news, I'm shopping for a pannier for my bike, so I can be less sweaty and haul more cargo, so if any one has suggestions, do that.

ortleib. the ones that are not made of recycled plastic

Jokerpilled Drudge
Jan 27, 2010

by Pragmatica
ortlieb is cool but im all about that bike bucket

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dHWCKHbop7o

also they are way cheaper, at least half of what an ortlieb will cost you

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

i recently got a little cargo tricycle and just returned from riding it to the grocery store. obviously the 98 degree (37C) heat isn't super comfortable but with the wind in your face from motion it's really not that bad. anyway my verdict is: three wheels good.

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things
God im so loving tired of closecalls.

Was walking across a 4 lane and a bunch of other pedestrians were in the cross walk at a walk light and someone just gunned their car through the red.

I screamed at them, ineffective I know, but loving christ can I just have like 1 loving day where a driver doesn't do some insane poo poo like that?

cat botherer
Jan 6, 2022

I am interested in most phases of data processing.

silicone thrills posted:

loving christ can I just have like 1 loving day where a driver doesn't do some insane poo poo like that?
no

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

silicone thrills posted:

God im so loving tired of closecalls.

Was walking across a 4 lane and a bunch of other pedestrians were in the cross walk at a walk light and someone just gunned their car through the red.

I screamed at them, ineffective I know, but loving christ can I just have like 1 loving day where a driver doesn't do some insane poo poo like that?

this is America

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007
last night i was sitting on my porch with my wife and our dog, enjoying a quiet thunderstorm when suddenly - BANG! yet another t-bone collision at the intersection which should be a four-way stop. Everyone was okay - of course the driver who blew through his stop sign and drove directly into oncoming traffic's first words when exiting his car were not "I'm so sorry!" or "are you okay?" but "I STOPPED!"

bro if you stopped, your car wouldn't have plowed into another car. that's what being stopped means, it means you're not moving.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Actually, I think he stopped pretty efficiently on account of driving into a ton of metal

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR

Cup Runneth Over posted:

this is America

don't catch you slippin' now

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

Ragaduffin posted:

Kei truck can haul 770 lbs, while the manly F150 can haul 2,200 or so, more if it has the huge bed. Of course, you could afford a swarm of kei trucks for the price of one of Ford monstrosities.

the kei trucks with the longer bed can carry at least 1 tonne iirc

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Mister Speaker posted:

don't catch you slippin' now

*honk*

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

Driver runs over and kills a six year old riding his bike while talking on the phone after running a stop sign, and it takes a year to charge her

https://www.wpxi.com/news/local/wom...JC5BVYXXOD3UJU/

quote:

Wood left the courtroom surrounded by family and her attorney had no comment. But in court, he said, “Not every accident is criminal.”

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

That makes your heart stop. So brazen. So who's fault is it? The government who didn't regulate? The company who didn't care? The sidewalk, parking lot designer? Capitalism? There's a long list before it gets to the driver who is guilty. Why did the car exist in the first place?

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
I know you know how to do this.
Get up.

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

Driver runs over and kills a six year old riding his bike while talking on the phone after running a stop sign, and it takes a year to charge her

https://www.wpxi.com/news/local/wom...JC5BVYXXOD3UJU/

'but this one was'

mystes
May 31, 2006

bedpan posted:

That makes your heart stop. So brazen. So who's fault is it? The government who didn't regulate? The company who didn't care? The sidewalk, parking lot designer? Capitalism? There's a long list before it gets to the driver who is guilty. Why did the car exist in the first place?
Maybe if we actually held drivers responsible they wouldn't want to buy vehicles that are so big and hard to see out of that they can't avoid hitting people and drive to places where there isn't room for cars

leftist heap
Feb 28, 2013

Fun Shoe

bedpan posted:

it’s the drivers fault

mystes
May 31, 2006

Like imagine that was instant life in prison. I bet suddenly people wouldn't be so excited about giant trucks and would be demanding subcompact cars with pedestrian safety features or even bicycles.

One weird trick

Apr 7, 2003

mystes posted:

Maybe if we actually held drivers responsible they wouldn't want to buy vehicles that are so big and hard to see out of that they can't avoid hitting people and drive to places where there isn't room for cars

There's a giant Ram truck parked on the other side of my pre-automobile street and it's blocking half the sidewalk because it's too big to park on the street

Apr 7, 2003

what a great vehicle for the city

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

poop in the back

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

bedpan posted:

The driver did it.

All the causal poo poo is just placing the gun in someone's hands, but you still charge the guy that pulled the trigger.

cat botherer
Jan 6, 2022

I am interested in most phases of data processing.
https://twitter.com/seungminkim/status/1672631883404902409

:blessed:

Horace
Apr 17, 2007

Gone Skiin'

Real hurthling! posted:

poop in the back

I was discussing with a friend why there are so few pickups in the uk. he said because everything in the bed would be stolen immediately, and then then bed would fill with leaves and rainwater.

your post made me realise people would definitely bag their dog poo poo and then drop it into the next pickup truck, that would 100% be normal if there were pickups here.

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

Horace posted:

I was discussing with a friend why there are so few pickups in the uk. he said because everything in the bed would be stolen immediately, and then then bed would fill with leaves and rainwater.

your post made me realise people would definitely bag their dog poo poo and then drop it into the next pickup truck, that would 100% be normal if there were pickups here.

remember when the bin men were ford?

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck

Whenever I'm on the highway and get passed by a truck I check whether its bed has more or less storage capacity than my minivan. A whole lot of them don't pass that test.

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

about to go for a bike ride

Harik
Sep 9, 2001

From the hard streets of Moscow
First dog to touch the stars

Plaster Town Cop

Pepe Silvia Browne posted:

last night i was sitting on my porch with my wife and our dog, enjoying a quiet thunderstorm when suddenly - BANG! yet another t-bone collision at the intersection which should be a four-way stop. Everyone was okay - of course the driver who blew through his stop sign and drove directly into oncoming traffic's first words when exiting his car were not "I'm so sorry!" or "are you okay?" but "I STOPPED!"

bro if you stopped, your car wouldn't have plowed into another car. that's what being stopped means, it means you're not moving.

lol thanks for the flashback

two houses and 20 years ago I lived at the corner of a 4-way stop that people absolutely could not stop for

had one of them fancy cordless phones (not cellular) and every time we heard the SSSSSSSSKKKKKKIIIIID *CRUNCH* we'd sigh and take it out to them to call for a tow/ambulance/daddy/whatever

it happened ludicrously often. 4-5 times a month and that's just when I was home to deal with it. I often came home to find fresh car spoor on the intersection. Maybe a fallen headlamp, sometimes they molted a bumper or hubcap.

someone somehow managed to go underneath the rear of a schoolbus from the side. Bro, how did you not see the gigantic yellow sheet metal wall in front of you?

never had to deal with any fatalities at least but jesus. there's a loving daycare nearby too, how nobody managed to tbone someone and crush an infant i have no loving clue.

it's not even a thru-street! it was narrow and treelined and everything about the design screamed 'hey go slow here there's not a lot of room' but people did it anyway

Harik
Sep 9, 2001

Plaster Town Cop

gradenko_2000 posted:

The driver did it.

All the causal poo poo is just placing the gun in someone's hands, but you still charge the guy that pulled the trigger.

one pedestrian death, charge the driver.

one hundred pedestrian deaths, charge the manufacturer

ten thousand pedestrian deaths, [REDACTED] the government.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Harik posted:

ten thousand pedestrian deaths, [REDACTED] the government.

We tried vo*ing them out, it didn't work.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this

eXXon posted:

We tried vo*ing them out, it didn't work.

vore blue no matter who

Harik
Sep 9, 2001

Plaster Town Cop
https://twitter.com/MastersRex/status/1672648033513684992

one weird trick to make drivers think twice about doing a punish pass

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

Harik posted:

https://twitter.com/MastersRex/status/1672648033513684992

one weird trick to make drivers think twice about doing a punish pass

i thought that was the iron cros for a second lol

Harik
Sep 9, 2001

Plaster Town Cop
wasn't the red baron WW1 germany? can't remember.

oh i forgot to give an update on my friends house that had their bedroom turned into a makeshift garage by a drunk driver

They've got some new "decorative" boulders between their house and the road, and the wall they had to replace is no longer hollow cinderblock, it's rebar-reinforced concrete filled cinderblocks anchored into a deeper foundation.

and they still sleep in the livingroom on drinking holidays.

yay, car.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer

JAY ZERO SUM GAME posted:

'but this one was'

It definitely was not.

Hitting a kid while running a stoplight and talking on your phone in no way resembles an accident. Woman shouldn't see the outside of a prison cell ever again.

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
I know you know how to do this.
Get up.

i don't think you read my post right

an actual frog
Mar 1, 2007

HEH, HEH, HEH!
watched some Grease (1987) on the outdoor cinema screen while waiting on one of the 8 TPH trams home today. Take that driveailures :c00lbutt:

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

bedpan posted:

All of the above; government, corporation, urban planner, capitalism, and to a small degree the customer for buying it, they are all complicit.

mystes posted:

Like imagine that was instant life in prison. I bet suddenly people wouldn't be so excited about giant trucks and would be demanding subcompact cars with pedestrian safety features or even bicycles.

One weird trick

Yes, the market will fix it

spiritual bypass
Feb 19, 2008

Grimey Drawer
you're all replying to a paste of a dumb tweet

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mystes
May 31, 2006

Cup Runneth Over posted:

Yes, the market will fix it
I didn't say anything about the market. Passing laws against murder isn't saying "the market will fix murder". The dumb lib market solution would be to subsidize smaller cars or something and that is not even remotely what I said.

If any attempt to have laws is "the market" then I guess communism is also a market based solution.

mystes has issued a correction as of 01:25 on Jun 25, 2023