Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Could the Elder Scrolls setting really function if there was a cat man that looked like Dreamworks Puss in Boots going around selling drugs? I dunno about that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fifty Farts
Dec 23, 2013

- Meticulously Researched
- Peer-reviewed

RareAcumen posted:

Could the Elder Scrolls setting really function if there was a cat man that looked like Dreamworks Puss in Boots going around selling drugs? I dunno about that.

I think it could work if the cat has a jaunty hat and a small cape.

Orv
May 4, 2011
TES Online has a couple of the more common Khajit types; basically sentient house cats and big Hulkbear cats, also sentient. They’re handled pretty well in it and some of the characters of each type are pretty fun, if a tiny bit vaguely racist.

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021
how is a cat speaking in a goofy accent racist? They even wear cute hats and occasionally say that other races sometimes try and pet them.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Mutant Headcrab posted:

Khajit can be born as anything from anime cat girls to furries to full cats. Think it depends on lunar cycles when they are born or something.

And the full-cat furstocks range in size from 'housecat' to 'small elephant'.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Tankbuster posted:

how is a cat speaking in a goofy accent racist? They even wear cute hats and occasionally say that other races sometimes try and pet them.

It’s very arguable but I occasionally got kind of a Romani stereotypes vibe from the ESO Elsewyr stuff. I’m probably being oversensitive.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

No, they're definitely played as cat Romani, at least in Skyrim. Dunno about ESO.

Anyway, here's a picture. Six anthro-cats and the one cat-cat gets the only chair. Checks out.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Skippy McPants posted:

No, they're definitely played as cat Romani, at least in Skyrim. Dunno about ESO.

Anyway, here's a picture. Six anthro-cats and the one cat-cat gets the only chair. Checks out.

I don't think the big one on the middle right is anthropomorphic

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021
tbh, the kitties in skyrim are essentially foreign traders.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)
Yeah, and they're not allowed in cities and people say they steal. No coding there!

Post poste
Mar 29, 2010

Cup Runneth Over posted:

I don't think the big one on the middle right is anthropomorphic

He says he's anthromorphic and I'm not up to arguing with him.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Post poste posted:

He says he's anthromorphic and I'm not up to arguing with him.

Yeah, I guess the brawny orange one could go either way. He does appear to be naked, but that might not be indicative of anything. I just thought it was cute that the regal house-cat lookin’ one got the only chair.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
Have you seen those cat things? Kah-jeet I think they call themselves.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

RareAcumen posted:

The ones that look like a normal house cat don't have thumbs.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Werewolves in Terry Pratchett’s books were similar. Not all of them could switch forms. Some were wolves all the time, others were human all the time. A species with such varied morphology is an interesting idea, through does it get weird if you think about it too much.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Skippy McPants posted:

Werewolves in Terry Pratchett’s books were similar. Not all of them could switch forms. Some were wolves all the time, others were human all the time. A species with such varied morphology is an interesting idea, through does it get weird if you think about it too much.

When did that come up in the books? The only werewolf I remember was the lady cop.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Air Skwirl posted:

When did that come up in the books? The only werewolf I remember was the lady cop.

The Fifth Elephant, a chunk of which deals with Angua’s family. Her brother Wolfgang is a weirdo race purist who murdered their human-only sister, which prompted the wolf-only brother to run away. She heard that the latter brother became a champion sheepdog off in some other part of the world.

Skippy McPants fucked around with this message at 07:03 on Jun 27, 2023

A Worrying Warlock
Sep 21, 2009

The Lone Badger posted:

And the full-cat furstocks range in size from 'housecat' to 'small elephant'.

My absolute favorite bit of TES lore is the idea that if something is incredibly magic, ideas can warp reality to conform to them.

Khajit are magic cats, and cats can have trouble understanding that other non-prey animals are not just weird cats.

They look like fluffy humans because that's just how cats see us:cabot:

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

Skippy McPants posted:

The Fifth Elephant, a chunk of which deals with Angua’s family. Her brother Wolfgang is a weirdo race purist who murdered their human-only sister, which prompted the wolf-only brother to run away. She heard that latter brother became a champion sheepdog off in some other part of the world.

That would have been a cute tie-in for the Tiffany Aching books. :3:

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Dareon posted:

That would have been a cute tie-in for the Tiffany Aching books. :3:

The average person probably couldn't tell. Another feature of the Disc is that function follows form, so a wolf-only werewolf would mostly look, think, and act like a, perhaps unusually clever, wolf. The same book mentions that Angua's father is a mannerless nigh-nonverbal boor as a result of spending most of his time out of human form.

One of my favorite things about Pratchett's writing was his take that magic should be fussy, complicated, and all told, more trouble than it's worth.

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

Tankbuster posted:

I totally would.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Agents are GO! posted:

I totally would.

Well through the power of VR

Gnome de plume
Sep 5, 2006

Hell.
Fucking.
Yes.
Khajit has wares, if you have treats

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Love how the Khajit kept talking as if nothing was happening.

Skippy McPants fucked around with this message at 17:40 on Jun 27, 2023

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008
He's got those cute little ear tufts. He's HAD to get used to it.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Skippy McPants posted:

Love how the Khajit kept talking as is nothing was happening.

Khajit is used to this, just get it out of your system and be done with it.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

who's a good boy? who's a good boy?!

"jobasha does not answer this question."

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Going up to every argonian I see and casting light spells at them because that's what you people enjoy right?

New character idea: dunmer who is trying but still also racist.

Relyssa
Jul 29, 2012

Truly realistic mojave

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

Aha I see the problem right away. There's still water in the Colorado River yet it claims to be realistic. Lmao modders

Preechr
May 19, 2009

Proud member of the Pony-Brony Alliance for Obama as President

OwlFancier posted:

Going up to every argonian I see and casting light spells at them because that's what you people enjoy right?

New character idea: dunmer who is trying but still also racist.

When I first started playing Skyrim shortly after release I made sure to use the healing touch spell to pet all the cows in that starting village.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Preechr posted:

When I first started playing Skyrim shortly after release I made sure to use the healing touch spell to pet all the cows in that starting village.

It's super annoying that you can't just zap all the people in the kynareth temple in whiterun with that spell.

Like mate I can literally get stabbed in the face by a zombie and this fixes it what are you laying there for.

TGLT
Aug 14, 2009
https://www.nexusmods.com/streetfighter6/mods/296

Preechr
May 19, 2009

Proud member of the Pony-Brony Alliance for Obama as President

OwlFancier posted:

It's super annoying that you can't just zap all the people in the kynareth temple in whiterun with that spell.

Like mate I can literally get stabbed in the face by a zombie and this fixes it what are you laying there for.

I love that there is a part where you can do that, entirely unprompted, in Baldur’s Gate 2 and the game actually recognizes that you did it and the NPC and his family are grateful to you for the rest of their lives. Which is about 12 hours from that point, lmao

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

I know weird proportions are Dhalsim's whole deal, but man, those hands are freaking me out.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.

Skippy McPants posted:

I know weird proportions are Dhalsim's whole deal, but man, those hands are freaking me out.

What are you talking about? I can't see anything in TGLT's post.

Varance
Oct 28, 2004

Ladies, hide your footwear!
Nap Ghost

DaysBefore posted:

Aha I see the problem right away. There's still water in the Colorado River yet it claims to be realistic. Lmao modders

One would think a nuclear apocalypse destroying cities and killing off the farmers would solve the issue of depletion through overconsumption...

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

Varance posted:

One would think a nuclear apocalypse destroying cities and killing off the farmers would solve the issue of depletion through overconsumption...

Don't worry, the NCR is fixing that, overconsumption is back on the menu!

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

At least the sky is blue. God knows it's BROWN AS HELL in vanilla.

OwlFancier posted:

There's a mod for that!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TGLT
Aug 14, 2009

Skippy McPants posted:

It's called yoga, kid. If you wanna be the big dog you're gonna have to learn how to do it.