Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
Warrior only ever wore clothing for storyline reasons. Like when he suddenly had a hat because Lawler was going to hit him over the head with a framed picture.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

Dawgstar posted:

I think it was basically that Shango was set up to have a big feud with Warrior but when Warrior left Creative Had Nothing For Him.

Not quite.

So Papa Shango interfered in the WM8 main event, but Warrior vs. Shango wasn't the initial idea. It was supposed to lead to a Warrior vs. Sid feud. I guess they just needed another heel to make the ending angle of WM8 work. Then after doing two house show matches with Warrior in a day, Sid just straight-up left WWF because gently caress this poo poo.

They then did Warrior vs. Shango, but other than a couple weeks of Warrior being cursed, there wasn't much to it. Apparently, they had a match on Superstars, but I have zero memory of this. Otherwise, this was the tail end of the era when dudes would just pay off their feuds on the house show circuit. And so, Warrior beat Shango again and again and again. Then he got roped back into the title picture by the time SummerSlam came around and spent the next couple months feuding with Flair.

From there, they really had nothing for Shango. He was just a good heel to plug in for building up new faces (Tatanka, Crush), giving face champs someone to beat on house shows (Bret, Bulldog) or just having someone that Undertaker could take on. All he really had going for him for the remainder of his time with that gimmick were:

- A Royal Rumble appearance.

- Losing to Hacksaw in a King of the Ring qualifier, which was used for the "USA" music video.

- A really fun heel vs. heel match with Repo Man that aired on Prime Time.

- During a year when he was gone, they were planning to bring him back as the explanation for Bob Backlund's crazed outbursts. They decided not to go in that direction and they instead repackaged him as Kama.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

forkboy84 posted:

Will we ever reevaluate The Undertaker and accept that he is hideously overrated?

Breetai posted:

So here's the litmus test I guess: how many examples are there of Undertaker having a match that is considered significantly better than his opponent is usually generally capable of?
He had okay-to-great matches with smaller, better workers. With other big men his matches ranged from lousy-to-good, but usually lousy. He wasn't a guy to carry anybody and I don't think he ever dragged a good match out of someone like, say, Mabel.

neoaxd
Nov 13, 2004

Taker was mostly bad, with some outstanding matches that obfuscate the picture, imo.

Stealth Tiger
Nov 14, 2009

It kind of seems like Undertaker matched the level of his opponents tbh. Have great matches with Shawn Michaels or Mankind or prime Jeff Hardy, have matches that are just fine with Kane, and have lovely matches with 7 foot oafs who have trouble walking and chewing gum at the same time. By the metric of "All time great icon who should be on wrestling's Mount Rushmore", he's overrated but I can't really call him bad or anything.

E. It can't be overstated how many God awful matches you will have gotten booked in if you wrestled through some of those WWF years

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

I think a fair take on taker was, he was a middling worker but had a great look and enough athleticism to be part of some pretty cool moments such as yeeting mankind off the cell, yeeting mankind through the cell, lighting Stephanie's teddy bear on fire while vince cries, diving over the inferno ropes to kane. In any other company with any other gimmick he probably would have been thought of as kind of like a Brian Cage of his time, athletic for a big dude but nothing for a personality.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
His matches with Vader weren't the epic hoss-offs we might have hoped for, not that Vader was at his athletic peak either.

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

I'M A BIG DORK WHO POSTS TOO MUCH ABOUT CONVENTIONS LOOK AT THIS

TOVA TOVA TOVA
The discussion about whether there have been any great giants from a workrate perspective is probably irrelevant if you have to have a history of elevating bad opponents, as it seems basically impossible to elevate someone else unless you are small enough to enable that person to do crazy moves to you that are otherwise impossible. And maybe this is ultimately what people mean by "great worker," being believable and competent at worst against any opponent and being excellent when paired with someone capable of keeping up or better? Any decent giant is eventually going to be paired against another giant who is incompetent and ruin it for everyone

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

Is Tomohiro Ishii a bigger deal in the US and Britain than in Japan? I don't really have a grasp on how popular he is in his home country.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Nehru the Damaja posted:

Is Tomohiro Ishii a bigger deal in the US and Britain than in Japan? I don't really have a grasp on how popular he is in his home country.

I'd say he is a bigger deal to western New Japan fans than native New Japan fans, but that's probably because you can be a relatively casual (I hate using this term because of how it's been destroyed by weirdos on Twitter obsessed with a mythical casual fan who has the brain of some sort of insect, but I can't think think of any better word right now) wrestling watcher & keep up with New Japan when you live in Japan, where as to follow New Japan overseas you're kind of self-selecting to be a more dedicated or hardcore fan. I can't say with any certainty but I'd guess that Tomohiro Ishii would be about as popular with Japanese smarks/hardcores as he is with us. Where you don't mind that he's short & pudgy & an ex-junior heavyweight. But that's a guess.

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

forkboy84 posted:

Where you don't mind that he's short & pudgy & an ex-junior heavyweight. But that's a guess.

It's the one thing I have NEVER understood about pro-wrestling. Ishii, Mox, Eddie, and Suzuki all exude pure menace to me even though they're not the platonic ideal of a "pro wrestler" and how weirdos like Jim Cornett et al try to dunk on these dudes for not being tall, shredded, and tan is beyond me.

CombineThresher
Apr 10, 2006

GIT R DONNE

Defenestrategy posted:

It's the one thing I have NEVER understood about pro-wrestling. Ishii, Mox, Eddie, and Suzuki all exude pure menace to me even though they're not the platonic ideal of a "pro wrestler" and how weirdos like Jim Cornett et al try to dunk on these dudes for not being tall, shredded, and tan is beyond me.

Wait, who the gently caress dunks on Suzuki? Half his menace comes from his well-deserved reputation as an actual professional fighter/catch wrestler.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Has anyone ever referred to Road Agents as part of an angle or are they still mostly kept in kayfabe?

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

They just call them coaches or trainers when they show up on tv

Bonk
Aug 4, 2002

Douche Baggins

forkboy84 posted:

I'd say he is a bigger deal to western New Japan fans than native New Japan fans, but that's probably because you can be a relatively casual (I hate using this term because of how it's been destroyed by weirdos on Twitter obsessed with a mythical casual fan who has the brain of some sort of insect, but I can't think think of any better word right now) wrestling watcher
But you see, if I went to the mall and yelled out "Tomohiro Ishii", nobody would know what I was talking about and they'd think I'm a weirdo, definitely because of that and not for other reasons.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Defenestrategy posted:

It's especially silly when you consider that Jim Cornette will put over Bobby Eaton to anybody who will listen.

Don't get me wrong, I like and appreciate Bobby, he's underrated and was an amazing tag wrestler.

He also looked like he should be manning the counter at Pep Boys.

Hedgehog Pie
May 19, 2012

Total fuckin' silence.
I feel like Russo-booked promotions liked referring to ROAD AGENTS at times because it made everything seem more real obviously. Like, in WCW you'd have a backstage brawl that just happened to go through where they all were and Mark Madden would yell "THAT'S ROAD AGENT FIT FINLAY!!". I don't know if that's what you were looking for though.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Hedgehog Pie posted:

I feel like Russo-booked promotions liked referring to ROAD AGENTS at times because it made everything seem more real obviously. Like, in WCW you'd have a backstage brawl that just happened to go through where they all were and Mark Madden would yell "THAT'S ROAD AGENT FIT FINLAY!!". I don't know if that's what you were looking for though.

Not quite but it is interesting that they specifically called him a road agent but it's also the least surprising thing I've heard about WCW.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

El Gallinero Gros posted:

It's especially silly when you consider that Jim Cornette will put over Bobby Eaton to anybody who will listen.

Don't get me wrong, I like and appreciate Bobby, he's underrated and was an amazing tag wrestler.

Even more a lot of Cornette's monsters are all mostly bigger than the above examples but still look like goofs outside their element of wrestling. It's just double standard outlaw mud show rabble rabble.

NutShellBill
Dec 4, 2004
I AM SPUTNIK'S PARACHUTE ACCOUNT

forkboy84 posted:

Will we ever reevaluate The Undertaker and accept that he is hideously overrated? Some of those Wrestlemania manages that got raved about, the Michaels matches in particular, ho boy, dog dirt is more compelling viewing.

OK, I'm being hyperbolic, they aren't bad, but they mawkish melodrama is wretched. Or at least that's my opinion from 2010, haven't seen them since. But I dunno, I could probably do a top 100 matches list without Taker even threatening the longlist.

But then maybe I should revisit them, maybe I'll like them more now

Hideously overrated is a bit harsh.

He was asked to work with some guys who were non-wrestlers, immobile or completely unsuited to the job and those awful, awful matches were usually in high-profile situations. And he was also asked to stay at least 5-10 years past the age he should have retired.

(I mean, he could have said no, but those Trump campaigns aren't going to fund themselves? I guess?)

He had great matches with the guys you would expect him to have great matches with.

I'm not sure anyone was better at pageantry and "sports entertainment".

As a worker, I'd say he was great for a big man of the 80s-90s... which would firmly put him as average today. It is somewhat telling that when allowed to bring in his own guys, he had one of the worst tag matches of all time.

As a person... I really want to dunk on him. He brutalized Chris Kanyon for the reasons you'd expect, hangs out with the Harris Twins and had a rep as Vince's personal muscle... which he definitely abused.

As a performer, when people tell me the Undertaker is the best and get that gleam in their eye, I just let them have their moment, and let them like who them like. And die a bit inside.

King Of Coons
May 5, 2006

El Gallinero Gros posted:

he’s beautiful you piece of poo poo it’s in his god damned name! I will suffer no mx slander!

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

The character of Undertaker is great but there's only so much you can do with it and Biker Taker sucked poo poo.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

Undertaker was more presentation than anything.

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

hm. Perhaps.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Vandar posted:

Undertaker was more presentation than anything.

Especially on the mic. Just look at any promo where he didn't just roll his eyes back and say "rest in peace."

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

He wasn't that exceptional, so they played up a lot of the "ceremony" and pageantry. When it came to The Undertaker.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
Taker should do pageants

CopywrightMMXI
Jun 1, 2011

One time a guy stole some downhill skis out of my jeep and I was so mad I punched a mailbox. I'm against crime, and I'm not ashamed to admit it.
I think Taker is overrated in a lot of ways but he is definitely one of the best ever as far as presence/presentation goes.

Hedgehog Pie
May 19, 2012

Total fuckin' silence.

Dawgstar posted:

Especially on the mic. Just look at any promo where he didn't just roll his eyes back and say "rest in peace."

Erm, I think you're forgetting the classic promo where Big Show got left in the desert??

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Hedgehog Pie posted:

Erm, I think you're forgetting the classic promo where Big Show got left in the desert??

We took the scorpions out of our boots and ate them and they stung us and it hurt but we ate them anyway and

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

Dawgstar posted:

One of my favorite Undertaker moments is this time at a mid-90s PPV when they show him answering questions from fans over the phone. This little kid asks about why he turned on Jake the Snake and something about Hogan (both long gone from the company) and Undertaker, in full character, just stammers trying to come up with a response. It's awkward as hell.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?

Hedgehog Pie posted:

Please someone link this.

Hedgehog Pie
May 19, 2012

Total fuckin' silence.

Pope Corky the IX posted:

Please someone link this.

https://youtu.be/lKzpOPIil-M

I got you buddy.

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

That reminds me of someone here saying they fell asleep with that promo on, woke up during the replay of Raw, it was back on the promo again and they assumed Undertaker had been talking for hours

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?

Thank you my friend.

I really thought this had happened when he was Biker Taker.

EDIT: Honestly, if he had ended it with “and I drove off and left him” it would have been amazing.

Pope Corky the IX fucked around with this message at 20:07 on Jun 24, 2023

D.N. Nation
Feb 1, 2012

Taker/Edge stuff was good.

Nystral
Feb 6, 2002

Every man likes a pretty girl with him at a skeleton dance.

D.N. Nation posted:

Taker/Edge stuff was good.

But is that because Edge is better then most at wrestling?

Edge feels like someone that could elevate his opponent, not at a Brett Hart level, but able to pull an above average match out of anyone.

big black turnout
Jan 13, 2009

Fallen Rib

Pope Corky the IX posted:

Taker should do pageants

Just teach him how to vogue. He should already be able to do a death drop

apophenium
Apr 14, 2009

Cry 'Mayhem!' and let slip the dogs of Wardlow.
Seeing a Tiger Driver '91 for the first time got me curious about the guy, Misawa, what's his deal. What's some good matches of his to check out? Why's he look so pissed all the time? Is it true that the move was a botch? Is that true for other hosed up looking moves like the Burning Hammer? It's a bummer how he died I was reading about it and it made me feel bad. NJPW World has a match from 2002 between him and Chono and a tag match from 2005 but that's it. Wrestle Universe just has a memorial show.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

disaster pastor
May 1, 2007

apophenium posted:

Seeing a Tiger Driver '91 for the first time got me curious about the guy, Misawa, what's his deal. What's some good matches of his to check out?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SP879hZ3DxQ

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hpw7uZPVad0

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EdAVWuR7x5w

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X2OLvGT5ROU

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nuYVtaBIVPw