Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Kvantum posted:

They did... it's just that Hangman holding the World Title was kind of a letdown compared to him chasing Kenny Omega.

I don’t watch that bullshit

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

kalensc posted:

Everything Dan Olson produces is top-notch entertainment and/or informative. His breakdown of "The Book of Henry" was sublime.

Anyways...

Any further rumors on McIntyre or other intriguing names nearing an end of contract?

Rey's may or may not be up soon if he hasn't signed anything since the last time Fightful checked

Otherwise next meaningful deals up in general for either company are January (MJF, JR, Bucks, Kenny) and then a month or two after (Alexa, Riddle, McIntyre)

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

I demand to be taken seriously

:aronrex:

Quantum of Phallus posted:

AEW WISH they had a story a quarter as good as the Bloodline

Ah hem, Miro vs God existed.

JUNGLE BOY
Sep 23, 2019

Cavauro posted:

it's like a story from a 1993 cartoon and gets treated like it should be adapted into a screenplay. i have edited this messages to be less stanky, and will leave it at that

I don’t watch that bullshit

emjayo
Apr 11, 2013

so what i’m getting from this is there’s a feature length vid of a nerd acknowledging my tribal chief? ☝️

Big Coffin Hunter
Aug 13, 2005

AEW WISH they had a story a quarter as good as the Bloodline

Real February energy on this post

Tampa Bae
Aug 23, 2021

Please, this is all I have
It's a shame that the Uso brothers are going to spend their entire career in WWE making lots of money, when I selfishly want them to have 5* matches against other tag teams in companies that care about tag teams. Like sure The Bucks vs Usos will happen eventually in the WWE but I don't think Usos vs Lucha Bros, or Usos vs FTR in a non-WWE environment will ever happen and Jey is so good at doing promos now because they just let him talk like a normal dude talks instead of reading verbatim lines like a theatre kid from high school

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

Tampa Bae posted:

It's a shame that the Uso brothers are going to spend their entire career in WWE making lots of money, when I selfishly want them to have 5* matches against other tag teams in companies that care about tag teams. Like sure The Bucks vs Usos will happen eventually in the WWE but I don't think Usos vs Lucha Bros, or Usos vs FTR in a non-WWE environment will ever happen and Jey is so good at doing promos now because they just let him talk like a normal dude talks instead of reading verbatim lines like a theatre kid from high school

Don't know if that would happen because the Usos aren't very good.

Tampa Bae
Aug 23, 2021

Pylons posted:

nobody in the wwe looks good

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
The Usos got very boring the last couple years but there was a stretch of time where they were regularly having the best matches in the company feuding with guys like American Alpha, New Day and Bludgeon Bros.

All of the top singles feuds in the company were detritus like the Roman/Brock forever feud or Jinder Mahal: Literally the WWE Champion or Miz still holding the IC title six months after that had jumped the shark, but in the tag title scene, they just let them go loving nuts and it was always the match of the night.

Tampa Bae
Aug 23, 2021

The Usos/New Day Hell in a Cell is probably one of the best they've done. I guess it's a low bar to clear though when they were doing it 2-3 times a year for a decade though

fake edit: there's over 50 of them so they made top 8 probably

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

Tampa Bae posted:

The Usos/New Day Hell in a Cell is probably one of the best they've done. I guess it's a low bar to clear though when they were doing it 2-3 times a year for a decade though

It was the first time in forever and the last time since they actually got even a little bit creative with the way stipulation played into the match, and, here's a novel loving concept, they stayed in the loving cage and did a loving finish and blew off the loving feud.

(I mean they were wrestling again a couple months later in three ways with the Bludgeon Brothers but whatever, it felt definitive at the time)

MJeff fucked around with this message at 04:11 on Jun 25, 2023

Tampa Bae
Aug 23, 2021

MJeff posted:

It was the first time in forever and the last time since they actually got even a little bit creative with the way stipulation played into the match, and, here's a novel loving concept, they stayed in the loving cage and did a loving finish and blew off the loving feud.
if you're talking about the modern era the Rollins/Cody and Sasha/Bayley matches were still good too

but I think the usos are better than the WWE lets them be

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
Sasha/Bayley was very good but a little quick, they went from the betrayal to the blow-off really quickly when they probably should've stretched that out to Mania, buuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuut, do you really trust WWE to keep a feud hot that long and also Mania had Sasha vs. Bianca, so. Sure. Fine. The stuff they did with Bayley's Special Chair in that match and the way it played into the finish makes probably as good as the Usos/New Day match now that you mention it.

And yeah, the titty match is kinda its own special thing because of the circumstances.

Tampa Bae
Aug 23, 2021

You're getting what I'm saying though, a lot of these wrestlers are way better than the WWE allows them to be. Either because they're so used to the WWE house style or they're just at the mercy of bad booking that cuts them off at the knees. FTR went from an all-time tag-team in NXT to washed up on the main roster, back to being all-timers again once they started feuding with The Briscoes. I think there's a lot of talent in WWE that have that ceiling, they just have to weigh the options of being on the biggest stage for the most money or caring about their love for wrestling and leaving behind a legacy.

Takes all kinds of people. Wrestlers like Styles, Nakamura, Asuka, Owens, and Zayn already had pretty decent careers and I don't blame them for taking the most money to be some of the biggest names in the sport.

Then there's people who were too big before it mattered and wasted a lot of their better years in WWE like KENTA, KAIRI or Gran Metalik because they were the best the best in an era right before the AEW boom period and had nowhere else to go

But there are people who very well could be really considered some of the best who have just spent too long in WWE and will either be there for life or only get out after they're too broken down to compete anymore

There really is a difference between being considered one of the best wrestlers of all time and being one of the best WWE wrestlers of all time. They're two different worlds and people like Jericho, Mox and Danielson are proving just how big that gap can be

DeepDickPizza
Oct 11, 2012

THREE TIME! THREE TIME!

MJeff posted:

And yeah, the titty match is kinda its own special thing because of the circumstances.

It's also overrated as gently caress. Just seeing a purple titty added a full two stars to everyone's rating.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

DeepDickPizza posted:

It's also overrated as gently caress. Just seeing a purple titty added a full two stars to everyone's rating.

I was trying to be diplomatic and avoid saying that outright. :v:

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

The eventual payoff for the New Day/Usos feud is still a moment so good that I can't believe it came from the WWE.

Big E and Xavier struggling through a tag team gauntlet match to ensure that Kofi gets his title shot. There are only two teams left, but Big E and Xavier look like absolute poo poo, too beat down and exhausted to keep fighting for much longer.

The Usos music hits. Xavier and Big E realize how hosed they are that their biggest rivals are up next.

And then...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eiwjNtOoUqU

Just way too loving good of a moment to have come out of the WWE.

mooseinfants
Dec 22, 2014

Pylons posted:

They're pretty good

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

The Usos have been lame since I came back to WWE in 2013 and quit it again in 2016. Now they just dress better.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

I hope we get some surprises at MITB :pray:

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

It's like goldy or bronzy, but made of iron.

I hope we get some surprises at MITB :pray:

yeah, like a good match!

Erin M. Fiasco
Mar 21, 2013

Nothing's better than postin' in the morning!

Vandar posted:

The eventual payoff for the New Day/Usos feud is still a moment so good that I can't believe it came from the WWE.

Big E and Xavier struggling through a tag team gauntlet match to ensure that Kofi gets his title shot. There are only two teams left, but Big E and Xavier look like absolute poo poo, too beat down and exhausted to keep fighting for much longer.

The Usos music hits. Xavier and Big E realize how hosed they are that their biggest rivals are up next.

And then...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eiwjNtOoUqU

Just way too loving good of a moment to have come out of the WWE.

This and the entire run to Kofi winning the title at Mania just feel so un-WWE...mostly because they feel smart, earned, and satisfying while being wrestling-focused. Truly great stuff. I rewatch this clip a lot. A shining moment during some dark days.

I think the Usos are great wrestlers kneecapped by WWE's pace and limitations. They join a pool of people who I really want to see spread their wings outside of the company. Guys like Matt Cardona have shown how often the presentation and homogeneity of the company can actually be detrimental to a wrestler and I think the Usos have shown that when allowed to be a little bit more (the aforementioned New Day feud comes to mind) they have tremendous upside. I think there's a reason that everyone they work with, along with top tag teams that they haven't worked with, have nothing but praise for them.

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

New Day in AEW's trios division would have been a thing of beauty

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
I'd still like the three of them to eventually make the jump if just because I think a retired from wrestling big e is still a massive personality to have around and on your broadcast teams

Erin M. Fiasco
Mar 21, 2013

Nothing's better than postin' in the morning!

Big E on commentary, man that would be good.

I'd love to see them make the jump as a trio/tag with Big E as manager for sure. Maybe they could actually get Mega Ran entrance music this time. Honestly frustrates me how quickly they dropped the King Woods thing, and I wasn't even a regular watcher at the time.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Alan_Shore posted:

New Day in AEW's trios division would have been a thing of beauty

The build to New Day vs Elite would certainly be something

Pillowpants
Aug 5, 2006
I stopped watching Wrestling around the time Peacemaker and Drax showed up so I know them primarily from that.

Cody Rhodes and Logan Paul are why my son wanted to start watching wrestling because of the go big show and YouTube.

Aside from that, I knew Edge from WWE but I really enjoyed him on Haven too.

FROM AEW, doesn’t…everyone know sting and Jericho?

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

El Gallinero Gros posted:

The build to New Day vs Elite would certainly be something

yeah… Something Awful!!!

bloodysabbath
May 1, 2004

OH NO!
Re: money talk, reminder that word was that WWE was going to offer Kenny BY GOD Omega something like 25 MILLION DOLLARS to basically kill AEW in the womb and Kenny was all, “lol no.”

What a goddamned champ.

lomzus
Mar 18, 2009
https://twitter.com/wrestlenomics/status/1672989274059284482

https://twitter.com/wrestlenomics/status/1672988015793434625

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

the shield's a draw, brother

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках

MJeff posted:

It's not like Tony Khan was offering 5 figures.

Thing is, like AmDrag, you don't hire Mox with money. Sure, he's happy to take your money, he's got a wife and kid after all, but what you're really paying to get him onboard is blood. His, or someone else's, he doesn't care which, but someone's gonna bleed and the crowd's gonna love every second of it.

JUNGLE BOY
Sep 23, 2019

One of the biggest summers in WWE history is just getting started.

Will the Usos continue to break away from The Head of the Table each week, or can the Wise Man heal the cracks in his Tribal Chief’s leadership?

Who will be the next one to step through the real Forbidden Door to challenge for Freakin’s workhorse title? It could be someone from any brand: Raw, Smackdown, or NXT!

Will The American Nightmare topple The Papi and regain his focus towards winning The Big One?

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

JUNGLE BOY posted:

Will the Usos continue to break away from The Head of the Table each week, or can the Wise Man heal the cracks in his Tribal Chief’s leadership?

the bloodline is reformed with logan paul as co-head of the table

JUNGLE BOY posted:

Who will be the next one to step through the real Forbidden Door to challenge for Freakin’s workhorse title? It could be someone from any brand: Raw, Smackdown, or NXT!

logan paul

JUNGLE BOY posted:

Will The American Nightmare topple The Papi and regain his focus towards winning The Big One?

they both lose to logan paul at survivor series

zetamind2000 fucked around with this message at 11:37 on Jun 26, 2023

That DICK!
Sep 28, 2010

Yep

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

Rand and Perrin are so vanilla the dark one couldn’t touch them even if he wanted to.

JUNGLE BOY
Sep 23, 2019

The NXT champion Carmelo Hayes made his Raw debut and got pinned by Finn Balor. Wonder if that’s ever happened before

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Was Karrion Kross NXT champ when he got a stupid helmet+mask combo put on his head and beat by Jeff Hardy in 2 minutes?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

edogawa rando posted:

Was Karrion Kross NXT champ when he got a stupid helmet+mask combo put on his head and beat by Jeff Hardy in 2 minutes?

yes lol