Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: harrygomm, Astryl)

Substandard
Oct 16, 2007

3rd street for life
Same here .. Dead for me with a license error

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Ol Spicy Keychain
Jan 17, 2013

I MEPHISTO MY OWN ASSHOLE

Substandard posted:

I dunno. I keep thinking I should stop and wait until season 1 starts since I have a 55 and a 70 and don't want to burn out, but then I keep playing and keep enjoying it.

My current plan is to not make a barb / sorc and use one of those for my season one character.

It feels pretty good to play, even if it's light on new stuff after you get comfortable into wt4

the great thing about this kind of game is that you can just stop when you feel like it, go play another game and then come back to d4 when a new season drops.

Asproigerosis
Mar 13, 2013

insufferable
I'm not having fun with bonespear necro, I hate corpse explosion it's miserable and then when you're on a boss spamming for 5 minutes before you get your first loving corpse to spawn.

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49
Was 2/3’s in to beating a dungeon boss, on my 5th try, and got the boot.

:negative:

Schwawa
Jul 28, 2005

satanic splash-back posted:

Just gonna say this is a good example of why if you liked diablo 1+2 you might like d4 but if you loved d3 then just stay away because it's not going to treat you with the same slot machine psychology

This is a weird take. I love d3 and I also think that d4 is pretty great too. They are not mutually exclusive opinions.

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Pickle: Inspected.

I consider all 4 games very different from each other, with 4 feeling closest to 2. I think it's very easy to love or hate any and all of the titles mutually and exclusively. There is no pattern here.

Shoenin
May 29, 2013

Everynight I wake up Screaming.
(and beating the dragon)
I like all the diablo's (yeah even launch 3).
I expect to kill a bunch of demons and poo poo, and thats exactly what I get.

feller
Jul 5, 2006

Asproigerosis posted:

I'm not having fun with bonespear necro, I hate corpse explosion it's miserable and then when you're on a boss spamming for 5 minutes before you get your first loving corpse to spawn.

you can switch to the reap basic with the enhancement to guarantee a corpse. it's not like bone splinters is actually used

Killed a Girl in 96
Jun 15, 2001

DON'T STOP CAN'T STOP

Asproigerosis posted:

I think soscannonball is better at bonespear necro than me, but I can tell you how I'm rolling at level 87. I don't rely on corpse explosion for mana regen about 95% of the time. Get the aspects that provide mana regen on lucky hit, %mana regen on crit, and gloves that give mana regen on lucky hit. Then maximize lucky hit and spam the poo poo out of your bone spear. Pretty rare I have mana problems now. When I do, I have a value point in bone spirit with the ability to let bone spirit regen 40 mana or whatever over the next few seconds. That gets upped by my mana regen on crit and I'll usually get 1/3 to 1/2 my mana back from that. Depending on corpses to drop is not a winning way to play, focus on lucky hit instead.

Soscannonball can totally correct me however, that's just what I've had success with.

WarpedLichen
Aug 14, 2008

Shoenin posted:

I like all the diablo's (yeah even launch 3).
I expect to kill a bunch of demons and poo poo, and thats exactly what I get.

Launch 3 was kind of poo poo but I was very happy I got to kill diablo on inferno before the nerf. The game might have been trash but I still had a lot of fun.

Just hit 90 today, 10 more levels before I can go uber lilith some tries.

Killed a Girl in 96
Jun 15, 2001

DON'T STOP CAN'T STOP
I tried fighting uber lilith twice and she one shot me both times. I figured I was just under levelled, though since then I've seen that she seems to one shot almost anyone regardless of level. If I'm hitting 700k-1 million per bone spear, it's probably not a damage issue for me and I should more just get good I suppose?

KrunkMcGrunk
Jul 2, 2007

Sometimes I sit and think, and sometimes I just sit.

I found a sacred unique scythe that makes all my darkness skills chill and freeze and it owns

Shoenin
May 29, 2013

(and beating the dragon)
still cant get in, but at least the liscense thing doesnt come up, only stays at queue for 2 minutes now.

BoonyPC
Feb 19, 2007
Well, call me crazy but I like all the Diablos and would really like to play this one right now but there seems to be some login issues, gently caress

junan_paalla
Dec 29, 2009

Seriously, do drugs
i want a monster hunter x diablo crossover so i can kill diablos in diablo and diablo in monster hunter

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

Fix this poo poo Blizzard it's Saturday night and I have no friends

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

GET LOSE❌🗺️, YOUS CAN'T COMPARE😤 WITH ME 💪POWERS🇦🇺
im kind of just figuring out mana regen for bone spear on the fly bc i cant find an umbral in the wild but the bone skills increase essense regen for 4 seconds on crit does well given im still using bone splinters as a last resort

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

KrunkMcGrunk posted:

I found a sacred unique scythe that makes all my darkness skills chill and freeze and it owns

i got this and it rules and im not even sure what best in slot there is but im sticking with it until whatever it is drops. the only downside is i had to go back to that ugly rear end blight corpse explosion

Jezza of OZPOS fucked around with this message at 06:46 on Jun 25, 2023

Asproigerosis
Mar 13, 2013

insufferable

Killed a Girl in 96 posted:

I think soscannonball is better at bonespear necro than me, but I can tell you how I'm rolling at level 87. I don't rely on corpse explosion for mana regen about 95% of the time. Get the aspects that provide mana regen on lucky hit, %mana regen on crit, and gloves that give mana regen on lucky hit. Then maximize lucky hit and spam the poo poo out of your bone spear. Pretty rare I have mana problems now. When I do, I have a value point in bone spirit with the ability to let bone spirit regen 40 mana or whatever over the next few seconds. That gets upped by my mana regen on crit and I'll usually get 1/3 to 1/2 my mana back from that. Depending on corpses to drop is not a winning way to play, focus on lucky hit instead.

Soscannonball can totally correct me however, that's just what I've had success with.

Oh I have to use aspects :hmmyes:

OctaMurk
Jun 21, 2013

Tom Tucker posted:

So what's the verdict, worth playing now or waiting for some polish like Diablo 3? I've got a vacation coming up so I'll avoid buying it until at least after that because once I bought a dopamine addiction game right before a vacation and got the shakes from withdrawl.

After putting in 200 hours since release, I've concluded that its a 6/10

soscannonballs
Dec 6, 2007

Jezza of OZPOS posted:

im kind of just figuring out mana regen for bone spear on the fly bc i cant find an umbral in the wild but the bone skills increase essense regen for 4 seconds on crit does well given im still using bone splinters as a last resort

that aspect is actually terrible it only increases your base essence regen which is 3, so a max roll will take you from 3 > 4 per second which is worthless. Even a min roll Umbral from the codex will give you way more essence. The exposed flesh aspect might take you a while to get, but you can just use any random dps aspect and it will probably be better than the essence regen one

soscannonballs
Dec 6, 2007

Asproigerosis posted:

I posted my build a few pages ago, doesn't use corpse explosion at all

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

oh i didnt realise that. im still using the codex umbral and sacrificing survivability for anything else i find that does essence while i look for better stuff so im ok but i didnt realise it did so little

soscannonballs posted:

I posted my build a few pages ago, doesn't use corpse explosion at all

thanks for posting that btw im using it as a rough guide to work towards while im still not super well geared

Killed a Girl in 96
Jun 15, 2001

DON'T STOP CAN'T STOP

soscannonballs posted:

that aspect is actually terrible it only increases your base essence regen which is 3, so a max roll will take you from 3 > 4 per second which is worthless. Even a min roll Umbral from the codex will give you way more essence. The exposed flesh aspect might take you a while to get, but you can just use any random dps aspect and it will probably be better than the essence regen one

Didn't know that about it only increasing your base regen. Well then, that's poo poo.

soscannonballs
Dec 6, 2007

yeah because it says Essence Regeneration in capital letters it specifically refers to the stat on your character sheet. There is a separate stat which is like "increased resource generation" which is better since it applies to any resource you generate like from Umbral or basic skills.

edit - the mother's embrace unique ring is actually pretty decent until you can get a really good rare ring, if you don't have exposed flesh aspect

soscannonballs fucked around with this message at 07:18 on Jun 25, 2023

The Last Call
Sep 9, 2011

Rehabilitating sinner
Speaking of the ring, one of them dropped for me via a treasure goblin.

Was kinda shocked, thought it was a Lilith thing only.

Some of those buggers vanish on me.

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*

junan_paalla posted:

i want a monster hunter x diablo crossover so i can kill diablos in diablo and diablo in monster hunter

that's asking a lot when you can't even kill diablo in this diablo game

xiw
Sep 25, 2011

i wake up at night
night action madness nightmares
maybe i am scum

Cpig Haiku contest 2020 winner

Professor Latency posted:

This happened to me. If you're on Wt3 drop it down to 2, do a tree and open it in 3.

FWIW I tried this along with the 'go back and do the capstone in WT2' advice from elsewhere and no luck.

Guessing I need to find a timezone-appropriate clan

Shoenin
May 29, 2013

(and beating the dragon)

crepeface posted:

that's asking a lot when you can't even kill diablo in this diablo game

SOON (blizzard trademark)

Stubear St. Pierre
Feb 22, 2006

Swilo posted:

And for some reason any time I approach a blacksmith my character constantly complains about not being able to pick something up. There's nothing on the ground and none of my inventories or materials are maxed out :confused:

I get this too, anyone know what it is?

Shoenin
May 29, 2013

(and beating the dragon)
Dunno, I get that too but it doesnt seem to do anything.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Asproigerosis posted:

I am playing Darkness/Corpse Explosion/No Summons necro. It takes a while to come together but you essentially cover the battlefield in toilet water and everyone dies.

Dr. Mantis Toboggan
May 5, 2003

I finally logged on, did a dungeon, and then my power went out. Thanks Blizzard!!

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

malae fidei cum XI_XXVI_MMIX
Does anyone have some kind of cheat sheet with how damage stacks and how different effects work?

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*

Vic posted:

Does anyone have some kind of cheat sheet with how damage stacks and how different effects work?

these stats multiply:

-your mainstat
-vulnerable damage
-crit damage
-attack speed
-everything else is additive

basically, focus on the first 4 stats. vulnerable is probably the best

Wuxi
Apr 3, 2012

I wonder what their plan is with the damage buckets since poo poo is blatantly unbalanced right now. On rogue you're never ever using a bow since crossbows are just objectively better in every situation with their +vuln damage implicit and the same is somewhat true for swords vs daggers as well.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

satanic splash-back posted:

Just gonna say this is a good example of why if you liked diablo 1+2 you might like d4 but if you loved d3 then just stay away because it's not going to treat you with the same slot machine psychology

I played the poo poo out of d2. I can't get into it today the same as I did 20 something years ago but it was great back then. Everybody wants to split Diablo gamers into buckets and I don't think it's that simple.

Schwawa posted:

This is a weird take. I love d3 and I also think that d4 is pretty great too. They are not mutually exclusive opinions.

odinson
Mar 17, 2009
That reminds me. Saw this guide that goes a little bit deeper down the damage bucket well. He is/uses necro for the examples, but the concepts are universal.

https://youtu.be/DvyU_b-Mrog

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Pickle: Inspected.

It's comical to me that anyone would ever call Diablo 4 a game for casual ARPG players when you have to apparently watch a 12 minute video just to understand how damage is calculated.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

DaveKap posted:

It's comical to me that anyone would ever call Diablo 4 a game for casual ARPG players when you have to apparently watch a 12 minute video just to understand how damage is calculated.

In POE the video watching time is in days, not hours. It's all relative.

Suburban Dad fucked around with this message at 11:24 on Jun 25, 2023