Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MrUnderbridge
Jun 25, 2011

One of the smartest dogs I ever had was our old eskie, Cordelia.

She did love her lap time and was really good at it. It was like having a warm little cloud on your lap.

When we got our beagle/ches. Bay retriever mix (Xander) as a puppy, naturally he spent a lot of time on laps, being small and super cute.

One time, he was on my lap being a cute little bastard. Cordelia sat nearby and pretty obviously wished she was up there. I could see her thinking! She looked at Xander, then looked at one of his favorite toys, then looked back at him. She then went over and started playing with his toy, throwing it up in the air and catching it. She never did this on her own! Xander saw this, hopped down to rescue his toy, and Cordelia immediately dropped it and leaped into my lap.

She had to do some higher level thinking and put herself in his mind to do this. "If I play with his toy, he'll get mad and come over, then the lap will be all mine!"

I miss my little cloud!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crystal Lake Witch
Apr 25, 2010

Kafouille posted:

My old childhood Lab loved to swim and we had a pool, so we trained her that she was only allowed in if there was someone in the pool that invited her in. She knew this very well and would instantly dart to the edge of the pool begging to be let in anytime she saw a bathing suit, and then she would dive in with the loudest splash she could manage. All seemed fine, but one summer she would disappear for a while in the afternoon. Nobody paid much mind until I was able to hear some very quiet sloshing sounds in the garden, so I looked in as my bedroom window was on the first story and overlooked the yard.

Turns out the dog had figured out the sight lines from the living room windows to the in-ground pool, and was swimming in circles as quietly as she could in the tiny little bit of the pool you could not see from there, only from my window. I watched for a little while, she would then get out and hide behind the brushes in a spot that got sunlight still so she could dry off, and would not respond to you calling her until she was reasonably dry.

This is incredible.

The first time we brought my lab up to the cottage he fell face first off the dock, and developed a lifelong fear of water. We would leave him up at the house when we went swimming and he’d whine loudly, but if we brought him down he’d spend the entire time fretting and pacing the dock.

The only time he’d get brave around water is when we’d go to a creek near my house so he could look at the ducks.

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

That was Gary Cooper, asshole.

Nap Ghost
Growing up, my parents had a German Shepard/Airedale mix named Baron. According to my parents, they weren't sure how he'd react to me when I was really young, as he liked to play rough, and he was big. It turns out, he almost immediately became my protector and would shadow me when I was outside. We lived near a small river on one side of the house, and my parents were worried that I'd fall in. However, Baron would always stand between me and the river, so if I did walk that way, he'd get in front of me and I'd walk into his side.
When I was 4-5ish I was playing the yard and salesman was going door to door in the neighborhood. My mom was inside but could see me through the window, and watched Baron as this guy approached. At first, Baron just sat up and look at him. As he got nearer, he was apparently trying to ask me if my parents were home. He started walking down the driveway, and Baron stood up and walked between me and him. Apparently he wasn't good at reading Dog body language, and kept getting closer, still trying to ask me something. At this point, Baron was started to do that deep chest growl. My mom ran outside to defuse things before he got closer.
He was taught to go out and retrieve the newspaper from the mailbox, which was handy on winter mornings. Dad could open the door, say "go get the paper" and in a minute, the dog would come back with slightly slobbery paper. This worked extremely well, until one morning, Baron made a connection between "get paper = get treats" and visited EVERY mailbox nearby and stole their newspapers. A neighbor called laughing that he looked outside and watched as our dog stole his paper.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

https://i.imgur.com/X5HDf4k.mp4

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

That cat is definitely plotting murder, and for good reason. Don't tease kitties!

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic
"Remove this immediately and I'll leave you a few fingers."

rocket_Magnet
Apr 5, 2005

:unsmith:

Oh my god that look

"Bet u think this is loving hilarious don't you, I'm so peeing on your bed tonight"

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Someone’s shoe will be barfed in later.

Bored
Jul 26, 2007

Dude, ix-nay on the oice-vay.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
A rare cross-post from the schadenfreude thread.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

I was not expecting to randomly come across a Flemish flag in this thread, but it certainly is cute. :D

SerthVarnee
Mar 13, 2011

It has been two zero days since last incident.
Big Super Slapstick Hunk
I got it as a souvenir from a friend in exchange for bringing him a Danish flag of equal size.
Figured it would be silly to just stuff in a drawer somewhere, so up on the wall it went.

i own every Bionicle
Oct 23, 2005

cstm ttle? kthxbye
https://twitter.com/contextdogs/status/1672713352366157824?s=46

Suleman
Sep 4, 2011

This is just two dogs saying "Chase me!" at each other for 40 seconds.
Which is delightful.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

One of the people at work sometimes brings a dog in and he has a quite specific "bark bark spin" that he does over and over again until you give him a treat.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
https://i.imgur.com/IZUus0J.mp4

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

OwlFancier posted:

One of the people at work sometimes brings a dog in and he has a quite specific "bark bark spin" that he does over and over again until you give him a treat.

Well if the bark bark spin works to get a treat why would he stop doing it. Sounds like his spell does the job.

Blackchamber
Jan 25, 2005

drat that pupper gets nearly sideways

ILL Machina
Mar 25, 2004

:italy: Glory to Italia! :italy:

Ayy!! This text is-a the color of marinara! Ohhhh!! Dat's amore!!
Masterful herding

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day
https://i.imgur.com/00aACNT.mp4

ILL Machina
Mar 25, 2004

:italy: Glory to Italia! :italy:

Ayy!! This text is-a the color of marinara! Ohhhh!! Dat's amore!!
https://i.imgur.com/HxoWIFh.mp4

Hippocrass
Aug 18, 2015

That third panel of the first comic just makes it. It's still funny if you remove it, but that panel included just makes it top tier.

Good doggo doing its best.

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007
Ooo! Look at me! NO DON'T LOOK AT ME!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-UtPRmm0h7A

Bored
Jul 26, 2007

Since that’s a cockatoo, i figure it’s touching the puppy to try to figure out if it can eat it.

Tbf, though, the Amazon parrot that I live with only seems to truly bond with little dogs. He used to try to feed the geriatric malti-poo that lived here a couple of decades ago, when i was a pet-sitter and not a housemate.

He’s warming up to me because I can whistle, give him popcorn, and share my food with him when he looks interested. And he thinks yo-yo tricks are rad. But he hasn’t acted like he would like to regurgitate food for me like he did for that little dog.

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009
Why are parrots so good at mimicking humans? What would they use that skill for in the wild?

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

Jippa posted:

Why are parrots so good at mimicking humans? What would they use that skill for in the wild?

Sound mimicry is actually pretty common in birds*, though Parrots and Corvids are especially good at it, as for the why well ultimately I imagine a good amount of it comes down to how smart those two groups are, even the lower end are probably on par with the average dog and the smartest ones are basically on par with human toddlers in many respects

*makes one wonder how far back into Avian evolution this stretches, just imagine something like a Utahraptor doing Parrot or Raven type human mimicry

Senior Woodchuck
Aug 29, 2006

When you're lost out there and you're all alone, a light is waiting to carry you home

Every parent instinctively sympathizes with this dog.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
https://twitter.com/ABC/status/1673163811660939264?s=20

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!
That's literally the crux of the plot of an episode of Bob's Burgers.

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese
I went to a lecture by a plastic pollution guy who said that plastic litter in rivers can actually increase biodiversity cos it gives wildlife more poo poo to hide in. Interesting!

Numero6
Oct 10, 2012

ここは地の果て 流されて俺
今日もさすらい 涙も涸れる
ブルーゲイル
https://twitter.com/Churi_pepe/status/1673153069981507590

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!

I can try, but I will never be as happy as Rexie on her catio today.

LookieLoo
Feb 10, 2011

That's a cat?!

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
It's a gremlin.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

True and True

Unlike party cat this one is awfully proud if their new attire

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

Twin sons of different mothers, sharing maybe only a brain cell

Basil (pronounced liked the herb) making the most of the afternoon while I slave away to keep him in kibble & litter.

Grumbletron 4000
Nov 30, 2002

Where you want it, bitch.
College Slice

Instant Jellyfish posted:

Scout and I went to something called the cattle dog jubilee over the weekend and did all the sports. She got two new barn hunt titles in 5 trials with 2 high in classes and 2 second places, passed her AKC temperament test with the highest marks possible, did 3 fastcat runs (a 100 yard dash for dogs), 6 dock diving splashes, and showed in conformation twice.

That's really cool. This is Dingo...

He's supposedly an Aussie/Corgi mix. I have this fantasy that one day we'll come across a wayward flock of... something and his herding instincts will kick in and he'll rise to the occasion and save the day!

However, Dingo is not smart...

The only thing he manages to herd is my work socks.

He is awesome at being my little shop buddy though :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bored
Jul 26, 2007

Grumbletron 4000 posted:

That's really cool. This is Dingo...

He's supposedly an Aussie/Corgi mix. I have this fantasy that one day we'll come across a wayward flock of... something and his herding instincts will kick in and he'll rise to the occasion and save the day!

However, Dingo is not smart...

The only thing he manages to herd is my work socks.

He is awesome at being my little shop buddy though :)

A few decades ago, the relief vet at the vet clinic I worked at,iirc, told us about a dachshund that had an unknown severe intestinal obstruction, so surgery was needed. When they opened the dog up to pull out the mystery obstruction, they discovered 20 pairs of women’s underwear and a sock.

So even though tour dog only wants to organize your dirty work socks instead of trying to herd neighborhood birds, it could be worse.

Aforementioned dachshund was fine after surgery, in case anyone was worried.