Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

spf3million
Sep 27, 2007

hit 'em with the rhythm

Hadlock posted:

Oh wild, after some additional e-stalking in this very thread it appears I drove right past his house taking my wife on a roundabout Starbucks run on Father's Day :psyduck:
And you didn't pull over and help???

DELETE CASCADE posted:

how do you do copper trenchless? like how does the rigid pipe get into the hole in the ground
I don't know but none of the plumbers planned on following the route of the original line since it presumably ran under the sidewalk before taking a 90° turn i.e not the shortest direct path. I assumed they cut a bore with some kind of water lance then the pipe is bendy enough that it can be fed in at an angle through the hole I already cut. The trenchless guys quoted "1" soft copper type L".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

Anyone here know anything about "cool roof" coatings? I live in Central Texas and I'm looking for ways to reduce my energy bills this summer.

I currently have asphalt shingles. Ideally, I can spray or install some sort of coating or material on the roof I already have, rather than a complete roof replacement.

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf
You'd be better off beefing up your attic insulation if you haven't already. You might also look into a radiant barrier. The cool coating stuff is basically just white paint as I understand it.

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

Slow News Day posted:

Anyone here know anything about "cool roof" coatings? I live in Central Texas and I'm looking for ways to reduce my energy bills this summer.

I currently have asphalt shingles. Ideally, I can spray or install some sort of coating or material on the roof I already have, rather than a complete roof replacement.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_nOI99ew5MM

I stumbled across this guy's channel and he just happens to live in Austin so everything applies perfectly for our climate. Hell I might even go with the vendor he recs. He has a few videos on attic science and the different ways to go about HVAC and Texas.

Suck, Seal, Spray is the idea.

George H.W. Cunt fucked around with this message at 16:36 on Jun 22, 2023

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

Epitope posted:

Have you considered just a strainer? I grew up with a disposal and for a while I wondered how anyone lived without one. Then I lived without one for a while, and it's totally fine. Great even.

I haven't had one for the last 3 years and it has been fine. Disposals kinda freak me out a bit but also send a lot of food waste down the drain that would be better off in your compost pile, so my new kitchen will just have a nice deep sink with a strainer basket.

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

i've forgotten all of your names.

Struensee posted:

I do see a kindred spirit in Sisyphus

you must try to imagine spf3million happy

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
Our previous apartment had a disposal, but when we moved into our house it didn't have one. Around the same time we moved, the city introduced collection of "organics recycling" (aka compost). Most big cuttings go straight into the compost bag, with the sink strainers just capturing little leftover bits of loose crap from cleaning up. It's pretty gross to empty those into the compost bag, and even then it'd be nice to rinse them off into a disposal. What I've settled on to clean a strainer, since I have a 2 basin sink, is rinse one strainer into the other strainer, then put it in the dishwasher to get it totally clean, and just kind of alternate between doing one or the other every once and a while.

Maybe all I really need is a second pair of strainers...

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

If I could replace the strainer on my two basin sink and run disposals on both I would

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

George H.W. oval office posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_nOI99ew5MM

I stumbled across this guy's channel and he just happens to live in Austin so everything applies perfectly for our climate. Hell I might even go with the vendor he recs. He has a few videos on attic science and the different ways to go about HVAC and Texas.

Suck, Seal, Spray is the idea.

Matt Risinger does some great videos on building science, but not all of them are cost effective for the average home owner.

bergeoisie posted:

Yeah. That's an option. I would have to drill through the granite counter top though and I assume that's hard.

The switch for my disposal is under the sink, it's no big deal.

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf
Matt Risinger started out with some cool home owner centric videos but now most of his content is humble bragging to other contractors who watch his videos and showing off untested and unproven technology from trade shows. I stopped watching his stuff for the most part because if you're not building your own home from the ground up by yourself or hiring him for a million dollar job, you'll never get any of the materials or methods he talks about used in your build.

extravadanza
Oct 19, 2007
After having the garbage disposal switch under my sink, I'm not sure I would want it any other way. Makes it harder to absentmindedly flip the switch on the wall with something in it that shouldn't be.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

SpartanIvy posted:

Matt Risinger started out with some cool home owner centric videos but now most of his content is humble bragging to other contractors who watch his videos and showing off untested and unproven technology from trade shows. I stopped watching his stuff for the most part because if you're not building your own home from the ground up by yourself or hiring him for a million dollar job, you'll never get any of the materials or methods he talks about used in your build.

I think the higher end stuff he shows off is cool, and it will trickle down to the mainstream eventually (like new tech in cars), but my concerns are mostly about him being influenced by his sponsorships, and a few other things that aren't really important to most people. Like the remodel of his personal home, that would have cost a fortune if he wasn't being gifted a bunch of supplies from his sponsor. The other issue is some of the higher end energy efficiency stuff isn't cost effective. A 70,000 dollar HVAC system will never come close to paying for itself in increased efficiency. It might in comfort if the owner really really puts a premium on it.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Slow News Day posted:

I had a metal roof put on and they just stuck it over the existing shingles without removing them.

It definitely reduced the upstairs temperature significantly

Epitope
Nov 27, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Hadlock posted:

If I could replace the strainer on my two basin sink and run disposals on both I would

Can you not? What level do you need to be to dual wield?

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

I am the correct level but after buying my mythril house I have to wait until I have enough GP again to upgrade to the dual wield amulet

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

You shared it with a dick.

skipdogg posted:

So now anytime anyone comes across a repair or something the prior owner did that isn't proper, we blame "Gary".

Ahem. loving Gary.

runawayturtles posted:

The internet recommends pulling dental floss behind them, which is what we're doing, but it's not remotely as easy as that sounds.

Fishing line works a lot better. Target or Walmart have it, or of course Amazon.

raggedphoto
May 10, 2008

I'd like to shoot you

skipdogg posted:

I think the higher end stuff he shows off is cool, and it will trickle down to the mainstream eventually (like new tech in cars), but my concerns are mostly about him being influenced by his sponsorships, and a few other things that aren't really important to most people. Like the remodel of his personal home, that would have cost a fortune if he wasn't being gifted a bunch of supplies from his sponsor. The other issue is some of the higher end energy efficiency stuff isn't cost effective. A 70,000 dollar HVAC system will never come close to paying for itself in increased efficiency. It might in comfort if the owner really really puts a premium on it.

Pretty much this, I love seeing the new building technics and equipment but the average homeowner can't justify the cost of windows custom made in Europe. The new modular homes that are being built can be net-zero and a little more affordable than a custom built house, if I was building a new home I'd probably go that route.

Bobcats
Aug 5, 2004
Oh
The $3100 water heater quote lost to the borrowed truck and $700 in parts and a Saturday spent in the crawlspace.

Feeling pretty good about myself - stay tuned for the post about water damage. :clint:

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?

Bobcats posted:

The $3100 water heater quote lost to the borrowed truck and $700 in parts and a Saturday spent in the crawlspace.

Feeling pretty good about myself - stay tuned for the post about water damage. :clint:

But for the money you saved, you can gently caress it up 4 times and still come in cheaper than paying someone to do it for you, and you'll likely be an expert on the 4th install.

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

Bobcats posted:

Good job by you :nice:

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf

Bobcats posted:

I think water heaters are the gateway DIY drug. Once you've figured out how simple it is, and how much of a rip off paying for it is, you start to question every other home project and soon you'll be sweating copper, swapping out breakers, and putting in new moulding.

Benagain
Oct 10, 2007

Can you see that I am serious?
Fun Shoe
I'm pretty sure the flammable vapor sensor on my water heater is failing cause it keeps going off and I've checked for gas leaks and made sure there's no flammable vapor sources near it. Is installing a new one of those a reasonable diy job? Replacing the whole thermostat I mean.

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

Please tell me it’s not a 2019 Rheem power-vent unit

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

SpartanIvy posted:

You'd be better off beefing up your attic insulation if you haven't already. You might also look into a radiant barrier. The cool coating stuff is basically just white paint as I understand it.

Don’t knock white paint. Cheap white behr paint reflects a LOT of visible wavelength light, I’d assume it carries into the infrared decently, but not in the UV.

Adding barium sulfate to the paint can get up to ~95% of visible light reflected. Not sure how durable it’d be though. The barium sulfate just sits in suspension but when you get to 30% by weight it globs on dummy thick and need a decent amount of water to thin.

Here’s a paper on barium sulfate roof coatings:https://pubs.acs.org/doi/10.1021/acsami.1c02368

And on asphalt shingles: https://heatisland.lbl.gov/resources/asphalt-shingles

It’s a pretty massive difference based on those.

CarForumPoster fucked around with this message at 02:34 on Jun 23, 2023

PitViper
May 25, 2003

Welcome and thank you for shopping at Wal-Mart!
I love you!

PainterofCrap posted:

Please tell me it’s not a 2019 Rheem power-vent unit

I see you saying this, and it makes me concerned for the Rheem powervent water heater we have in the basement installed in 2018. Explain to me why it's terrible, and what spare part I should be keeping next to it.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Why would you put metal on your roof, surely that would be bad for the shrubs and flowers growing there?

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf
My experience with my Rheem XR90 has been nothing short of a nightmare. I've had to replace every part except for the gas valve at least once since I bought it in 2018. I know more about them than Rheem support and their approved plumbers do at this point. I've even built a tool to allow me to check the flame rectification without frying my multimeter.

I will never buy another Rheem product because of this god forsaken water heater.

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

PitViper posted:

I see you saying this, and it makes me concerned for the Rheem powervent water heater we have in the basement installed in 2018. Explain to me why it's terrible, and what spare part I should be keeping next to it.

If yours has been trouble-free all this time, you dodged a bullet.

Mine was just one of thousands that would just…quit. You’d find out half-way through a shower that it had decided to take a nap, maybe the day before. The blue light would be blinking some fault code, usually related to insufficient flame or no gas or a monoxide leak or some other ghost issue.

Turns out the power vent had hosed-up circuitry in it, but I only learned that after a year & a half of Rheem sending me one part after another, with failure following each time the parts cannon fired. Oddly, they sent just about everything, except a power vent assembly.

Eventually I filed a warranty claim and got a replacement in 2019 through Home Depot (where I had bought it in 2017). Not a peep since.

So, you’re good.

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

PainterofCrap posted:

If yours has been trouble-free all this time, you dodged a bullet.

Mine was just one of thousands that would just…quit. You’d find out half-way through a shower that it had decided to take a nap, maybe the day before. The blue light would be blinking some fault code, usually related to insufficient flame or no gas or a monoxide leak or some other ghost issue.

Turns out the power vent had hosed-up circuitry in it, but I only learned that after a year & a half of Rheem sending me one part after another, with failure following each time the parts cannon fired. Oddly, they sent just about everything, except a power vent assembly.

Eventually I filed a warranty claim and got a replacement in 2019 through Home Depot (where I had bought it in 2017). Not a peep since.

So, you’re good.

So they figured it out and newer revisions don’t have this problem? Trying to figure out if I should discount Rheem when going shopping for one the Friday before a holiday weekend when mine gives up the ghost.

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

My replacement had a different make of power vent on it. Same configuration & all.

BonerGhost
Mar 9, 2007

SpartanIvy posted:

I think water heaters are the gateway DIY drug. Once you've figured out how simple it is, and how much of a rip off paying for it is, you start to question every other home project and soon you'll be sweating copper, swapping out breakers, and putting in new moulding.

I started with electrical outlets, then swapping breakers and building a wall out of 2x4s, did I go backwards?

Epitope
Nov 27, 2006

Grimey Drawer
In bicycles building a wheel is the max level achievement. What is it for houses, remodeling a kitchen? Building a deck is the junior varsity badge

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
Kitchens have pretty much everything to some degree - plumbing, electrical, drywall, cabinetry, countertops, ventilation, tiling (often, depending on the style). All unique skills. If you can successfully do a kitchen renovation there's probably not much else you can't handle. Probably the only thing that's not typical in a DIY kitchen project is structural stuff or maybe exterior doors and windows, but even that's not off the table.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

Epitope posted:

In bicycles building a wheel is the max level achievement. What is it for houses, remodeling a kitchen? Building a deck is the junior varsity badge

I think bathroom personally because it involves a custom waterproof enclosure. Kitchen is good and close and I'd go with it for consensus is everyone felt strongly. The cabinets are a unique situation as is the specialized wiring requirements.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?
Yeah I would say bathroom because it has pretty much everything, electrical, framing, three different sources for water, drain, toilet, waterproof enclosure, exhaust fan, HVAC vent or baseboard, usually a window, cabinetry, counter tops, and tile if you're so lucky. The only thing missing is 220v, which could probably be included if you have laundry in your bathroom, or a jacuzzi maybe?

Upgrade
Jun 19, 2021

I live in a hundred year old house with original floors. Which squeak a lot. Which is fine because we have carpets in a lot of places. Except when they squeak in the kitchen because the PO just put half inch think tile on top of the wood. And the squeaks move around with the seasons.

We wanted to redo the kitchen at some point anyway, but it might get moved up the list. I hate it so much for some reason.

BigHead
Jul 25, 2003
Huh?

Nap Ghost
I just had a board on my deck lose a sizeable chunk of wood out of it. A long lengthwise piece about a foot long, half-cylinder laying in is side, about an inch wide and an inch deep. Like a footlong hotdog cut in half lengthwise, or like if someone dragged a melon baller down a foot of the board. It must be a knot or something that ran that length of the board that just released from the underlying wood. I live in a rainforest (Seattle) so I'd rather not have a nice convenient place for a puddle to sit on raw wood for the entire rainy season.

Anyone got any suggestions on what to fill it with as a patch? I have extra deck paint in the garage; I just need something to fill the hole so I can repaint it. Replacing the whole deck is on the list for the next two or three years so it doesn't need to be a big permanent solution. Otherwise I'll just replace the dang board.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Minwax has both regular and high performance wood filler but if you need more than a pint it's probably going to be cheaper to just buy a new plank and move on with your life

You can theoretically stretch the filler with sawdust or whatever but now you're going to have to learn a new skill at scale, and the more filler you mix up at once, the faster it kicks off (bad)

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

Your description kinda confused me but can you just remove the board, flip it around so the void is now on the underside, and reattach?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

I'm pretty sure I know what happened, it is a plain sawn board that is from close to the middle of the trunk. It was bark side down and the grain separated so a little half-moon popped out.

I can't find a picture of it but this is close. You can see that the center has separated and is loose, but is being held in on this board because it is surrounded by other wood:

with the amount of filler you'd need it is probably cheaper, faster, and easier to just pull the entire board and replace it. If you are replacing the deck soon you can half-rear end finishing the board.