Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Stereotype)

Griz
May 21, 2001

Mayor Dave posted:

I would never call myself vegan bc the people who are hardcore about it are wild and I want no part of that, like I know honey isn't technically vegan but come on, beekeeping is integral to our current ag systems and its so silly to act like it's ok to eat the things they pollinate but not the honey they produce

i mostly stopped eating beef because it costs megabucks now but i'm not gonna pass up the 10lb pack of chicken leg quarters for 67c/lb, that's cheaper than beans

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

Rochallor posted:

...also he would pick up roadkill because hey, dead already.

Pre-tenderized, too!

Just, y'know, ignore all the nightmarish residue on the roads themselves.

Janitor Ludwich IV
Jan 25, 2019

by vyelkin

BIG HEADLINE posted:

Pre-tenderized, too!

Just, y'know, ignore all the nightmarish residue on the roads themselves.

good luck finding food that isnt seasoned with microplastics and rubber

Thorn Wishes Talon
Oct 18, 2014

by Fluffdaddy
veganism might be more attractive if vegans weren't so insufferable

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

Janitor Ludwich IV posted:

good luck finding food that isnt seasoned with microplastics and rubber

Yeah, just saying that roadkill is gonna have fuel and heavy metal residue on at least one side of it, and I'm betting it makes for a lovely dry rub.

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

When a tree grows, it is soft and pliable. But when it's dry and hard, it dies.

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

That which has become hard shall not triumph.

larger animals like deer usually don’t have a tire roll over them, they’re struck over/aside the vehicle

still tho what the gently caress

blatman
May 10, 2009

14 inc dont mez

gonna start selling vegan meat by just driving my rusty jacked-up ford through the cow pasture and knocking the cows straight into the meat packing machine

Pooky
Aug 29, 2004

I post fox news so u don't have to 💋
There's good vegan parmesan

Hubbert
Mar 25, 2007

At a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.

cat botherer posted:

Bees have rights you know

Correct, this was confirmed as law in the landmark court case covered by the Bee Movie documentary film (2007).

Hubbert has issued a correction as of 04:38 on Jun 25, 2023

Griz
May 21, 2001

i missed hitting a deer on the interstate by like half a second and the pickup truck in the next lane slightly behind me nailed it, i was like "oh gently caress did i almost hit something" then look in the mirror and there's the front half of a confused looking deer and an absolutely gore covered truck with the airbags popped. they pulled over safely but drat that was gross

a strange fowl
Oct 27, 2022

i did some work with a political party that has veganism as a core tenet (i'm not, which is why i quit, every time i bought eggs/milk/dog food i was living in fear that someone would recognise me at the supermarket). all the vegans had grey skin and huge dark circles under their eyes and none of them could finish a thought coherently. like they were all intelligent people, but all had the same issue with no attention span and losing concentration halfway through their sentences, so every meeting would just devolve into incoherent rambling. their focus also made me realise that there's a whole vegan industrial complex that is based upon avoiding conflict with farmers. this party was meant to be about animal rights, and obviously the worst abusers of animal rights are farmers, but they were terrified of farmers because they have guns, so instead of touching that issue at all they just fixated on creating ever greater variety and purity of vegan food products to be consumed so that the lifestyle would be more appealing to the public, which would somehow make the meat/egg/dairy industry just... disappear? none of them had any insight into the environmental footprint of vegan products, either. it was hugely frustrating.

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
cars were a mistake. I had to go get my brain scanned a while ago and a herd of deer had all got pulverized it was pretty insanely hosed up. Had to have been like 20, just obliterated all over the place. To shreds.

Griz
May 21, 2001

SniperWoreConverse posted:

cars were a mistake. I had to go get my brain scanned a while ago and a herd of deer had all got pulverized it was pretty insanely hosed up. Had to have been like 20, just obliterated all over the place. To shreds.

that's metal as gently caress

Hubbert
Mar 25, 2007

To shreds, you say?

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?
most people are like pathologically incapable of understanding that their daily commute involves operating a literal two-ton deadly weapon and that makes cars extremely, extremely bad even when you ignore all the environmental effects

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

for every bean you don't eat I'll eat three

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva

Griz posted:

that's metal as gently caress

Yeah there needs to be some infrastructure solution that's not a death machine repeatedly slicing through the countryside, which I suspect has been invented several times already but isn't used for some strange reason

breathing aids
Jun 22, 2023

by vyelkin

Dog Case posted:

Fun little tie in, the "Whidbey Island Station" they provided as the location for this story is the same navy base that's currently providing a bunch of people with bottled water because decades of firefighting foam practice/leaks have contaminated the groundwater with pfas

Don’t be negative, maybe PFAS-saturated groundwater is better for fighting wildfire tornados. It’s like everybody gets their own free fire department! That’s a happy story, let’s assume that’s true and never check

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
Unfortunately deers are an invasive specie that is contributing to loving up the ecosystem .

Hubbert
Mar 25, 2007

smoobles posted:

for every bean you don't eat I'll eat three

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

drat, that must have been a bit of a shock for the doctors when that came up on the monitor

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
Yeah had to go all the way to the closest place with a serious imager and all I got was epilepsy and a good look at 4000lbs of venison

ELTON JOHN
Feb 17, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 28 hours!

Thorn Wishes Talon posted:

veganism might be more attractive if vegans weren't so insufferable

you could say that about any group, just admit that you're weak and move on

AceClown
Sep 11, 2005

Honey isn't vegan because commercial bee farming is awful, they replace all the honey with HFCs and other sugar replacements which means the bees don't get the proper nutrients. They also clip the wings of the queen bees and/or glue them in place so the hive can't just up and gently caress off.

Not a vegan myself but mass farming of any animal is fuckin gross and this includes bees.

If there's a resource to be exploited in the worst way possible, humans have found a way to do it.

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

keyboard ⌨️​ :clint: cowboy

On the other hand, bees that are currently useful for honey could bee just dead from whatever's killing them without much notice in an alternate vegan universe that is otherwise identical.

In this one we noticed (and did basically nothing about it)

anyway we aren't eating the bees, that seems like an important distinction to make

Marenghi
Oct 16, 2008

Don't trust the liberals,
they will betray you

Hubbert posted:

To shreds, you say?

And the wife?

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.

FFT posted:

could bee just dead

AceClown
Sep 11, 2005

FFT posted:

On the other hand, bees that are currently useful for honey could bee just dead from whatever's killing them without much notice in an alternate vegan universe that is otherwise identical.

In this one we noticed (and did basically nothing about it)

anyway we aren't eating the bees, that seems like an important distinction to make

We aren't eating egg laying chickens either

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

AceClown posted:

Honey isn't vegan because commercial bee farming is awful, they replace all the honey with HFCs and other sugar replacements which means the bees don't get the proper nutrients. They also clip the wings of the queen bees and/or glue them in place so the hive can't just up and gently caress off.

Not a vegan myself but mass farming of any animal is fuckin gross and this includes bees.

If there's a resource to be exploited in the worst way possible, humans have found a way to do it.

Yeah. We have people near us who do ethical bee keeping by only taking "excess" honey in the spring once the colony has survived the winter on their own stores.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.

sebzilla posted:

Yeah. We have people near us who do ethical bee keeping by only taking "excess" honey in the spring once the colony has survived the winter on their own stores.

Excess Savings

TehSaurus
Jun 12, 2006

AceClown posted:

We aren't eating egg laying chickens either

or dairy cattle. I think it is more cognitive distortion than important difference.

also that poo poo about bee farming is hosed up. we are orcs.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.
Is a bee not entitled to the honey of his own brow?

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Microplastics posted:

drat, that must have been a bit of a shock for the doctors when that came up on the monitor

Lmao

A Bad King
Jul 17, 2009

Suppose the oil man,
He comes to town.
And you don't lay money down.

Yet Mr. King,
He killed the thread
The other day.
Well I wonder.
Who's gonna go to Hell?
Raising hens is a good hobby. They're basically cats with wings. They remember and recognize faces and voices, enjoy affection, and generally behave as dinosaurs around the yard eating grass/bugs. Plus you get eggs of a quality that matches what you feed them!

I wish roos were legal and socially acceptable to keep in an urban environment. The boys deserve a happy life, too. There's a group in Chicagoland called The Roo Crew that adopts and finds rural homes for roosters when they can, and keeps them in love when they can't.

Egg Moron
Jul 21, 2003

the dreams of the delighting void

How do I keep roosters being in love with me?

A Bad King
Jul 17, 2009

Suppose the oil man,
He comes to town.
And you don't lay money down.

Yet Mr. King,
He killed the thread
The other day.
Well I wonder.
Who's gonna go to Hell?
Dehulled sunflower seeds.

500excf type r
Mar 7, 2013

I'm as annoying as the high-pitched whine of my motorcycle, desperately compensating for the lack of substance in my life.
I have like two dozen teenage roosters right now and I wish I could give them all nice homes but I think they're just going to get professionally processed this fall when they're more grown. They're all half Brahma so they grow a little slow and take their time hitting maturity.

Hatching chickens from my own eggs is so much fun but I don't sex and cull the baby rooster chicks and this is where it gets me.

ELTON JOHN
Feb 17, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 28 hours!

a strange fowl posted:

i did some work with a political party that has veganism as a core tenet (i'm not, which is why i quit, every time i bought eggs/milk/dog food i was living in fear that someone would recognise me at the supermarket). all the vegans had grey skin and huge dark circles under their eyes and none of them could finish a thought coherently. like they were all intelligent people, but all had the same issue with no attention span and losing concentration halfway through their sentences, so every meeting would just devolve into incoherent rambling. their focus also made me realise that there's a whole vegan industrial complex that is based upon avoiding conflict with farmers. this party was meant to be about animal rights, and obviously the worst abusers of animal rights are farmers, but they were terrified of farmers because they have guns, so instead of touching that issue at all they just fixated on creating ever greater variety and purity of vegan food products to be consumed so that the lifestyle would be more appealing to the public, which would somehow make the meat/egg/dairy industry just... disappear? none of them had any insight into the environmental footprint of vegan products, either. it was hugely frustrating.

what did these vegans feed their dogs and cats

Mayor Dave
Feb 20, 2009

Bernie the Snow Clown

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal

a strange fowl posted:

liberalism with vegan characteristics