Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: harrygomm, Astryl)

satanic splash-back
Jan 28, 2009

Deformed Church posted:

That's cool and all but the vast majority of deaths I have had are "oh the game that normally runs smoothly at 60fps and below 150ms just held up for several seconds and I loaded back in dead" or "oh cool a pack spawned beneath my feet, triggered by ??? (probably something in the effect maelstrom) and nuked me instantly". I have not felt in control of the vast majority of my deaths so far.

I've watched a bunch of streamers play hardcore and aside from a couple of very late game people who are doing the turn-up-and-nuke thing themselves, it looks loving miserable playing like you're terrified. No idea how people do it tbh.

There's a (psychological) difference between just not getting a drop, and actively getting resources and then losing them again. You're not wrong mechanically, but one definitely feels worse.

If you're only 52 you have probably been building for all damage and neglected to put together some defense synergy. Or you still need to upgrade to sacred items.

Bosses spawn sometimes if you kill a small pack or open a chest or use an interactable item. If you're getting instantly killed by non-windup attacks at 52 then you're standing in death effects or have zero +life and zero +damage reduction.

Playing hardcore is always miserable online unless you accept you'll die to lag eventually

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 23 hours!

bus hustler posted:

At level 52 it sucks to spend 20-30 minutes in a Helltide and have that time wasted, that's just really unfriendly design. Dying to an off screen one shot or a lag spike & losing 50% progress, knowing you don't have enough time to make it up? That sucks and is really discouraging. There shouldn't be a mechanic in a modern game where 20-30 minutes gets you nothing.

The current way it's set up encourages just leeching from other players in the event which is also just bad design. The optimal play should not be leeching other people's kills. You should be rewarded for actually getting out there and taking on (level appropriate) challenging content.

And since you cannot respawn in town & will respawn at a "checkpoint" with no minions or buffs, it's really easy to die twice and lose 75% progress.

lmfao. The Worlds Biggest Crybaby.

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

It's time to kick the tires and light the fires, Big Bird.

The Little Kielbasa posted:

As a stopgap, they should let you transmog crossbows into regular bows.

:hai:

Also they should let you transmog weapons to be invisible, my flurry rogue and frenzy barb are sick of having poo poo strapped to their back they never use

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

I think they could have made the campaign more challenging so some of these survivability issues get worked out before wt3

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 23 hours!

EC posted:

My wife and I have been playing this on PS5 and are in the mid 20s, and just absolutely getting our rear end kicked doing campaign quests in WT2. Neither one of us are new to the series (we played D2 when we were dating and put 1000s of hours into D3 from the moment it hit consoles), but the systems in place just seem really overwhelming. I'm a Barb and she's a Sorc if that makes any sort of difference.

I'm skimming this thread and seeing a bunch of chat about damage numbers so maybe I'll go do homework for this dumb video game so we can have fun with it. I thought about dropping down to WT1 but the idea of leveling up slower than we already are isn't very appealing either. We just wanna kill poo poo and get cool loot! :(

just read the words on the screen. wtf is wrong with you all.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Stux posted:

just read the words on the screen. wtf is wrong with you all.

Truth.

The game isn’t that complicated tbh

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

bus hustler posted:

At level 52 it sucks to spend 20-30 minutes in a Helltide and have that time wasted, that's just really unfriendly design. Dying to an off screen one shot or a lag spike & losing 50% progress, knowing you don't have enough time to make it up? That sucks and is really discouraging. There shouldn't be a mechanic in a modern game where 20-30 minutes gets you nothing.

The current way it's set up encourages just leeching from other players in the event which is also just bad design. The optimal play should not be leeching other people's kills. You should be rewarded for actually getting out there and taking on (level appropriate) challenging content.

And since you cannot respawn in town & will respawn at a "checkpoint" with no minions or buffs, it's really easy to die twice and lose 75% progress.

Simply make a good build and kill the enemies before they kill you. Easy.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

I have never died in the overworld. What are you doing

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 23 hours!
guuuuuys the vidoe game doesnt just shower me with loot every second for standing still and doing nothing. also its lowkey toxic for it to want me to think for 10 seconds about my skills and gear. they should make it more comfy like my favorite game, final fantasy 14 :shobon:

Pain of Mind
Jul 10, 2004
You are receiving this broadcast as a dream...We are transmitting from the year one nine... nine nine ...You are receiving this broadcast in order t
There is something about the game where I cannot play it in blocks bigger than 30-60 minutes. I am not sure if it is because I have not found a piece of loot that is an upgrade since level 51 (I am now 57), yet you need to spend 15 minutes of every hour going through each piece of loot you find checking for the few key stats like vulnerability damage. I never really had that problem with D2 or D3. I find I kill stuff fast enough, so maybe I just got good sacred drops early.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

In every arpg eventually the rate of loot upgrades slows down. There is no way around this without mudflation which would destroy the game

Janitor Ludwich IV
Jan 25, 2019

by vyelkin

Stux posted:

guuuuuys the vidoe game doesnt just shower me with loot every second for standing still and doing nothing. also its lowkey toxic for it to want me to think for 10 seconds about my skills and gear. they should make it more comfy like my favorite game, final fantasy 14 :shobon:

try following a guide like 95% of the playerbase

Orange Crush Rush
May 7, 2009

You don't need thumbs for revenge

euphronius posted:

I have never died in the overworld. What are you doing

I have, but every time it’s been because I tabbed out to look at something else during a Helltide and then my dude gets clocked by those meteors lol

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

D4 did a good thing by making rares valuable. They were pointless in d3.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 23 hours!

Janitor Ludwich IV posted:

try following a guide like 95% of the playerbase

dont need one. not an npc. good luck tho :cheers:

Janitor Ludwich IV
Jan 25, 2019

by vyelkin

Stux posted:

dont need one. not an npc. good luck tho :cheers:

look at this nerd that isn't running optimal build and is apparently killing the demons in the very hard game diablo 4

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

To the guy dying to overworld mobs: make sure you have damage reduction rolls on your gear somewhere

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe

euphronius posted:

The reward you get at the minimum is fun playing the game

If it’s not fun don’t do it.

This. I'm at the point where I grind out incremental upgrades to my gear to do harder dungeons. If you don't like doing that then yeah the game "doesn't have anything past the campaign".

Which is reasonable! If I think about it too hard, this kind of game is insanely stupid! But I'm having fun so I'm gonna keep doing it for a while.

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

My biggest current complaint is that I can't login to the drat game. 'Unable to find a valid license blah blah blah'. :argh:

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Why have the balkan teenagers sicced their bots on my humble arpg game

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
servers seem borked again

i need my fixxxxxxx

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

Diablo IV: A perfect Summer night. Unable to find a valid license for Diablo IV. (Code 315306)

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

I was about to be smug and say I'll just be playing D2R while the servers are borked but those are borked too. I got resmug again though knowing I can play offline though.

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

Since I am not playing I may as well post. I am actually really enjoying Diablo 4 (when I can actually play it) but I'm not yet sure if like a year from now I will prefer it over just starting up D2R (D3 never really clicked for me).

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan
Banner on the launcher now says they're getting DDOSed and trying to fix it

KrunkMcGrunk
Jul 2, 2007

Sometimes I sit and think, and sometimes I just sit.

Blizzard says battle.net is getting ddos'ed

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

Once again I have become the gamer dad cliche of 'I finally had a couple of hours of goddamn free time for myself and always online requirement has ruined it'.

:negative:

TheShrike
Oct 30, 2010

You mechs may have copper wiring to re-route your fear of pain, but I've got nerves of steel.
Can the latest overflow clan add me to the ranks (when the servers unshit themselves)? Tried reaching out to Marchidian yesterday but I guess I don't know how D4 whispers work because the /whisper seems to have done nothing.

My tag is shrike#11806.

I assumed this is the latest overflow:
"Name: Awful Bone Economy Lodge (ABEL)
Whisper: Marchidian#2852"

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

You can just apply to the clan if you can find it in the finder.

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Now, in the quantum moment before the closure, when all become one. One moment left. One point of space and time.

I know who you are. You are destiny.

TheShrike posted:

Can the latest overflow clan add me to the ranks (when the servers unshit themselves)? Tried reaching out to Marchidian yesterday but I guess I don't know how D4 whispers work because the /whisper seems to have done nothing.

My tag is shrike#11806.

I assumed this is the latest overflow:
"Name: Awful Bone Economy Lodge (ABEL)
Whisper: Marchidian#2852"

I've been waiting for someone to send me a DM in the bnet app because there's a ton of applications for the very last spot and I wanna make sure a goon gets it. I think it bugs out a bit when there's too many applications, so I'll see if I can fix it manually if I can get into the game atm.
Edit: I sure can't. Well. When it clears up then.

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Now, in the quantum moment before the closure, when all become one. One moment left. One point of space and time.

I know who you are. You are destiny.

bus hustler posted:

To be a little more pedagogic than the imp squad: I think you're just not powerful enough for the helltides yet, and that's ok. Things should be gated to give a sense of accomplishment when you can deal with them. Just do other poo poo, work on survivability, try again later.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 23 hours!

zoux posted:

Why have the balkan teenagers sicced their bots on my humble arpg game

this.

OctaMurk
Jun 21, 2013

drat Dirty Ape posted:

Diablo IV: A perfect Summer night. Unable to find a valid license for Diablo IV. (Code 315306)

Swilo
Jun 2, 2004
ANIME SUCKS HARD
:dukedog:

StarkRavingMad posted:

Banner on the launcher now says they're getting DDOSed and trying to fix it

I'm surprised it took this long since launch.

slandergoose
Jun 24, 2023
Playing my first Diablo game with D4, how important is the spec? I feel overwhelmed when picking skills and don't want to gently caress myself later in the game.

Hulk Krogan
Mar 25, 2005

So if I'm understanding the damage bucket stuff correctly, then damage stats that go in the additive bucket are effectively interchangeable, right (as long as they're relevant to your build)?

In other words if I slow enemies, then +30% damage to slow enemies has exactly the same effect as +30% damage to crowd controlled enemies? Same for say, +20% core skills damage and +20% physical damage, (assuming my core skill does physical damage, of course)?

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

slandergoose posted:

Playing my first Diablo game with D4, how important is the spec? I feel overwhelmed when picking skills and don't want to gently caress myself later in the game.

You can change whenever so not very. Complementary skills are color coded as well, so try and pick those

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

slandergoose posted:

The spec is important.

You can't gently caress your self since you can refund everything.

Pick a class look up a simple guide. Kill poo poo.

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
You can get in if you just keep trying. Spent nearly 30 mins and im finally in.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

malae fidei cum XI_XXVI_MMIX
the game's objectively worse because of stux coming in to dump rear end on everyone talking about the game in this thread like an alcoholic uncle who works at blizzard and nintendo