Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Platystemon)

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

Goa Tse-tung posted:

you come at the soil you best not miss

Buddy,

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nothus
Feb 22, 2001

Buglord

MrUnderbridge posted:

Had a kid use Chat GPT to answer two tests that were months overdue. There'd be the exact same format of: Two starting sentences, numbered list of supporting argument with great detail never mentioned in class, two closing sentences.

Most of these could have been answered in a few words, since I was asking things like "how many types of soil are there in the US?"

It took more effort to copy/paste the question, wait for the response, copy/paste the answer than it would have to just do a little cramming. I just filled in each comment for each question "Chat GPT" and gave zero points. On one test, if I had taken the potential late penalty points off, he would have gotten a negative score.

How are colleges formally addressing GPT? If it were me, it would be considered academic misconduct on the level of cheating on an exam.

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

Nothus posted:

How are colleges formally addressing GPT? If it were me, it would be considered academic misconduct on the level of cheating on an exam.

Universities in norway are getting in hot water for overcorrecting the other way and having chatbots evaluate students' exams for plagiarism and cheating, flagging a bunch of stuff like a student citing themselves as cheating, resulting in a bunch of people being expelled/suspended and losing a ton of money. lol

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

Biplane posted:

Universities in norway are getting in hot water for overcorrecting the other way and having chatbots evaluate students' exams for plagiarism and cheating, flagging a bunch of stuff like a student citing themselves as cheating, resulting in a bunch of people being expelled/suspended and losing a ton of money. lol

"I wonder if the lying machine will tell us the truth about when its lying?"

cat botherer
Jan 6, 2022

I am interested in most phases of data processing.
If I were still teaching undergrad I would not attempt to look for ChatGPT. There's no reliable way to detect it, especially considering undergrads are very good at writing incoherent nonsense all on their own. I also don't want to find cheaters. Lots of paperwork and emails. No thanks!

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Biplane posted:

Yeah, the other side of this is software meant to catch AI writing is as unreliable as the AI writing. I was feeding one of them content from 2018 and it was telling me 100% sure it was AI. It was failing tests left and right with the official line from the detection company that failure is only 2.5%. Then about a week after I complained to them, the company pivoted and sent out a sale email about how they were now the best place to go online to get perfect AI command prompts.

Even if it were 97.5% accurate, that's not good enough when considering what the consequences of the false positives can be.

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

PostNouveau posted:

Yeah, the other side of this is software meant to catch AI writing is as unreliable as the AI writing. I was feeding one of them content from 2018 and it was telling me 100% sure it was AI. It was failing tests left and right with the official line from the detection company that failure is only 2.5%. Then about a week after I complained to them, the company pivoted and sent out a sale email about how they were now the best place to go online to get perfect AI command prompts.

Even if it were 97.5% accurate, that's not good enough when considering what the consequences of the false positives can be.

But think of the savings

Turtle Sandbox
Dec 31, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

feedmyleg posted:

Maybe they meant, like, a fresh sourdough from a bakery? Even then, that's like $4.

Store bakery bread is worth it if you buy the day old bread and don't plan on buying bread you won't use for a week.

Turtle Sandbox
Dec 31, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

cat botherer posted:

I had an apple and mince pie once that was a traditional American recipe recommended by America's test kitchen. Among the most disgusting things I've ever tried to eat.

Pottage is a traditional American recipe you would never eat if it wasn't the only food you had.

Turtle Sandbox
Dec 31, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Cup Runneth Over posted:

Neat device, but I found out the hard way that "best thing since sliced bread" isn't a joke. Unless they sell bread slicers too I'm gonna stick with store-bought.

They make knives specifically for bread you know.

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

Turtle Sandbox posted:

yeah, serrated

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
Who are you, phantom limb

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007
yeah :)

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007
god bless the venture bros for giving nerds everywhere one stock opinion to have on cutlery

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
The only goon on Venture Bros is Gary

Well maybe also watch and/or ward

worst ever at ping-pong
Jun 11, 2010

It’s got a serrated edge, that you move back and forth. It’s such a simple machine, you don’t have to use force.

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

Ghost Leviathan posted:

The only goon on Venture Bros is Gary

Well maybe also watch and/or ward

"You've failed to honor your toxx, Quizboy"

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Turtle Sandbox posted:

I don't want to use a knife. I want perfectly evenly sliced bread.

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Gently enveloping the target with indiscriminate love.

Cup Runneth Over posted:

I don't want to use a knife. I want perfectly evenly sliced bread.

One word:
Einbaubrotschneidemaschine

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8x2qtZKvcPY

My Mother had one. 1% of time used to slice bread, 19% time used to warn the children to stay away, 80% of time used to clean.

Ardennes
May 12, 2002
It seems like having a roll out deli slicer machine just to cut up a loaf of bread is a little uh wasteful.

Weembles
Apr 19, 2004

VictualSquid posted:

One word:
Einbaubrotschneidemaschine

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8x2qtZKvcPY

My Mother had one. 1% of time used to slice bread, 19% time used to warn the children to stay away, 80% of time used to clean.

Bad life hacks videos have trained me to disregard any video that uses that ukulele and chimes music.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Pepe Silvia Browne posted:

"You've failed to honor your toxx, Quizboy"
the goon likeliness tier list is something like st. cloud > gary > billy > watch/ward

there's definitely a lot of possibly-goons

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

DACK FAYDEN posted:

the goon likeliness tier list is something like st. cloud > gary > billy > watch/ward

there's definitely a lot of possibly-goons

I think like 2/3 of venture bros would join the forums at some point. Hank and Dean are extremely "teenagers who become goons" but for different subforums. Rusty would absolutely be a Zuarg or Grover esque figure who posts threads asking for advice and refuses to listen to any reasonable advice so much that everyone just makes fun of him constantly, Dr O would be one of those people who just post pics of cool stuff they own in PYF, Dermott would be one of the 10 most off putting guys at goonmeets, Richard would post some problematic stuff in the early 00's before migrating to 4chan/discords for divorced dad terrorists. I could even see Brock having a few posts of his boomer rear end opinions in AI and NMD. The only person I can think of that would just look at this place and 100% go "Why would I want to engage with this at all" is JJ.

And yea St Cloud and quizboy and white are extremely loving goony. White tries to make mint chocolate chip cookies by putting mouthwash in cookie dough, tell me that's not goon poo poo.

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

The Monarch was permabanned for something heinous in the early 2010s.

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

Azathoth posted:

The Monarch was permabanned for something heinous in the early 2010s.

Nah he got permabanned for violating threadbans like 1000 times, and then after the fact got called out for something heinous and everyone was like "why wasn't he perma'd for that"

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

Tulip posted:

White tries to make mint chocolate chip cookies by putting mouthwash in cookie dough, tell me that's not goon poo poo.

Right on the money

blatman
May 10, 2009

14 inc dont mez

i just slice my bread with my razor sharp katana (sword) that i bought from the mall

goodnight mooned
Aug 2, 2007

Turtle Sandbox posted:

Pottage is a traditional American recipe you would never eat if it wasn't the only food you had.

Pottage has existed since medieval times, it predates America as a concept. Not only that, there might even be "perpetual stew" type pottages still going in France or Germany that have been cooking longer than the USA has existed.

ekuNNN
Nov 27, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

goodnight mooned posted:

Pottage has existed since medieval times, it predates America as a concept. Not only that, there might even be "perpetual stew" type pottages still going in France or Germany that have been cooking longer than the USA has existed.

Getting the good bits of the century stew

Tagra
Apr 7, 2006

If you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you.

I received a university essay that was definitely written by ChatGPT. I know it was written by ChatGPT because the student had copy-pasted the "Regenerate Response" button into their text.

And like, ChatGPT lets you click a button to put the text on your clipboard, without the button. Cheating is easier than ever and they couldn't even cheat competently :psyduck:

[edit] I also know it was written by ChatGPT because it was an awful essay full of hyperbolic praise that said absolutely nothing of substance :buddy:

Tagra has issued a correction as of 06:25 on Jun 22, 2023

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

I don't jailbreak the androids, I set them free.

WATCH MARS EXPRESS (2023)

Tagra posted:

I received a university essay that was definitely written by ChatGPT. I know it was written by ChatGPT because the student had copy-pasted the "Regenerate Response" button into their text.

And like, ChatGPT lets you click a button to put the text on your clipboard, without the button. Cheating is easier than ever and they couldn't even cheat competently :psyduck:

[edit] I also know it was written by ChatGPT because it was an awful essay full of hyperbolic praise that said absolutely nothing of substance :buddy:

chatgpt or 70% of all modern day philosophy?

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Tulip posted:

Nah he got permabanned for violating threadbans like 1000 times, and then after the fact got called out for something heinous and everyone was like "why wasn't he perma'd for that"

definitely had a fishmech database

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Reregs are claimed as arching Lowtax

Weka
May 5, 2019

That child totally had it coming. Nobody should be able to be out at dusk except cars.

goodnight mooned posted:

Do you think Euros invented the concept of America?

Puls, a type of pottage, was the staple food of ancient Rome. It's an extremely simple concept though so I'm sure it predates that.

Turtle Sandbox posted:

Wrong! It's tasty, nutritious and easy to cook.

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

keyboard ⌨️​ :clint: cowboy

Weka posted:

Do you think Euros invented the concept of America?
Pretty sure Amerigo Vespucci was Italian, yeah

ekuNNN
Nov 27, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

FFT posted:

Pretty sure Amerigo Vespucci was Italian, yeah
:wrong:
He was from the Republic of Florence, and italy wouldnt exist until more than 350 years after his death :colbert:

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

Amerdicko Vespussy

smarxist
Jul 26, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

Remember all those cool celebrities who did crypto ads right before the bottom fell out?