Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Railing Kill posted:

The reason she stops appearing after S3 isn't because the writers forgot she existed. She section-8'd her way out of service and is holed up in her quarters just hanging on with the help of what little counseling that ship can provide.

Neelix is Voyager's de facto counselor.

More seriously, I thought she stopped appearing after the one where the Flyer gets stuck under ice or something? There's a subplot where she's injured and apparently one draft had her die, and they... just forgot they changed that in the shooting script?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Though the Fury ones were technically set during season one and frozen Flyer was her last appearance chronologically. Regretfully, Naomi did not likewise disappear. Man OUaT is a terrible episode.

zoux fucked around with this message at 18:27 on Jun 23, 2023

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Huh, I thought she was in the series finale for some reason.

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

zoux posted:

Though the Fury ones were technically set during season one and frozen Flyer was her last appearance chronologically. Regretfully, Naomi did not likewise disappear. Man OUaT is a terrible episode.

those are all pretty bad episodes lol. and not necessarily because of naomi wildman either

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
I believe those are Samantha's appearances. Naomi has way more appearances in far less time.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Railing Kill posted:

The reason she stops appearing after S3 isn't because the writers forgot she existed. She section-8'd her way out of service and is holed up in her quarters just hanging on with the help of what little counseling that ship can provide.

Neelix is Voyager's de facto counselor.

The only other option is the Emergency Counseling Hologram.

*Robert Picardo appears, wearing Counselor Troi's blue dress* "Please state the nature of the emotional emergency."

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Beeftweeter posted:

those are all pretty bad episodes lol. and not necessarily because of naomi wildman either

Deadlock is good imo and I thought Mortal Coil was alright. But yeah, Elogium is arguably one of the worst in the series, so is Tattoo.

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

Gaz-L posted:

I believe those are Samantha's appearances. Naomi has way more appearances in far less time.

ah, yeah, you're right. well, she's not the reason they're bad either

zoux posted:

Deadlock is good imo and I thought Mortal Coil was alright. But yeah, Elogium is arguably one of the worst in the series, so is Tattoo.

"dreadnought" is a pretty dumb one but it's probably my favorite out of the list. "mortal coil" is okay enough, i didn't like "deadlock" because it's basically another 'lol nothing matters, reset button :owned:' kind of episode, but it's not as bad as "fury", "tattoo", "elogium", "once upon a time", or "basics". they're all pretty bad

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

I like any episode where Harry Kim dies.

https://twitter.com/TVMoJoe/status/1672303666269933568

I'd post this in the other thread but I haven't seen this weeks SNW yet. Nevertheless, what the gently caress?

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

zoux posted:

I like any episode where Harry Kim dies.

https://twitter.com/TVMoJoe/status/1672303666269933568

I'd post this in the other thread but I haven't seen this weeks SNW yet. Nevertheless, what the gently caress?

It was already posted, also gently caress paramount for canceling The Objectively Best Modern Trek t:mad:t

Agnosticnixie
Jan 6, 2015
The real lesson of Deadlock is that consciousness is fake (honestly the biggest thing I'm getting from early VOY rewatch is that while Braga was bad in a lot of ways and early Voyager isn't great - still probably better than TNG S1 - he could sometimes poo poo out a script with a vaguely fun sf concept)

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY
I'm extremely pissed about not getting to even see Prodigy S2. My girlfriend's kids are going to be even more so.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Kesper North posted:

I'm extremely pissed about not getting to even see Prodigy S2. My girlfriend's kids are going to be even more so.
It's probably going to come out, just not on Paramount Plus

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

FlamingLiberal posted:

Also Paramount, like, in general is probably not going to exist this time next year, let alone Paramount+.

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

lmao

Paramount Global has a $16 billion debt load on $25-30 billion of assets.

Leveraged finance bullshit is the absolute loving worst. Setting piles of money on fire to make everything worse since it was invented

There's this abortion of a company called Embracer group that's just a walking, talking pile of debt that's spent the last few years buying up every video game and tabletop group it can get its hands on, from Gearbox to Cryptic to Dark Horse to the freaking company for JRR Tolkien's licensing projects.

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

FlamingLiberal posted:

I don't think Paramount will be willing to have Star Trek stuff appear outside their own streaming service, my bet is they go full Batwoman and zero out the data so they can write the whole season down as a loss on the merger balance sheet

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Kesper North posted:

I don't think Paramount will be willing to have Star Trek stuff appear outside their own streaming service, my bet is they go full Batwoman and zero out the data so they can write the whole season down as a loss on the merger balance sheet

They've literally said they're shopping it around.

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

Gaz-L posted:

They've literally said they're shopping it around.

Most canceled Netflix shows shop around too lol

Books On Tape
Dec 26, 2003

Future of the franchise
Amazon is the shadiest loving business on the planet. I'm doing a run through of DS9 and made it up to Season 5, 2 or 3 episodes in when suddenly, season 5 is no longer available to watch through prime. I have to fire up Paramount plus with all its commercials. Funny how this happens to the only season I'm currently watching. Season 1-4, and 6-7 are still there just fine. loving bait and switch bullshit.

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

Feldegast42 posted:

All the torture O'Brien episodes are all pretty good, poor sap that he is

The mind prison episode is pretty close to being the darkest 90s Trek thing, with the possible exception of Course: Oblivion which is just outright mean-spirited

Railing Kill
Nov 14, 2008

You are the first crack in the sheer face of god. From you it will spread.

Books On Tape posted:

Amazon is the shadiest loving business on the planet. I'm doing a run through of DS9 and made it up to Season 5, 2 or 3 episodes in when suddenly, season 5 is no longer available to watch through prime. I have to fire up Paramount plus with all its commercials. Funny how this happens to the only season I'm currently watching. Season 1-4, and 6-7 are still there just fine. loving bait and switch bullshit.

A little while back I had a mind to rewatch Farscape. I found that Prime has S2-4, but not S1 for some reason. I checked back months later, and lo and behold S1-4 are on the platform, so I started watching the show. It took me a while, watching about 4-5 eps per week. I got four episodes into S4 and the whole show dropped from the platform. I still haven't gotten a chance to finish it, and that was six months ago. I don't have the kind of time to binge watch anything, so all of these streaming services increasingly loving with their libraries sours me on the whole idea. There's a lot of reasons (access, video quality, commentary tracks, etc.) a lot of folks have been moving back to physical media. I'm not there yet, but I'm getting close. Frankly, the only reason we still have Prime is that my wife uses the shipping to order miscellaneous supplies that she needs quickly for her business. The video service has increasingly sucked and is kind of incidental at this point.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

I swear to god I have watched at least the first three seasons of Enterprise but I have no memory of nearly all of these episodes.

They do take some big swings even if they spin around into a corkscrew and drill into the dirt like a Bugs Bunny cartoon. "Honey, cancel the nursery, there shall be no baby this season. SOMEONE has taught our gimp how to read"

Soul Dentist
Mar 17, 2009
The thing that struck me most about that episode was how nobody knew how to use they/them pronouns. It just hasn't occurred to people the producers and writers yet

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

It was 2002, it hadn't occurred to anybody. We've completely changed our vocabulary on the way we talk about gender and sexuality so when you watch these old shows, even ones 10 years old, they use what are now very awkward terms. That they are trying to do positive progressive messages in most of these episodes kind of compounds it. "Ey, broads can take a poo poo, just the same as any man". Revolutionary for 1987, weird in 2023. Also the show takes a very Maxim Magazine approach to gender dynamics.

But yeah the use of the "it" pronoun and the insane lack of regard came across more as a weird sub/dom BDSM sexual arrangement. Maybe it was, we never did get to see Phlox's pictures.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Soul Dentist posted:

The thing that struck me most about that episode was how nobody knew how to use they/them pronouns. It just hasn't occurred to people the producers and writers yet

To be fair I wanna say they/them didn't really start to become a standard thing until like the mid 2010s? Nonbinary identities didn't really seem to be as formalised in the 00s, it looks crude and kinda stupid now but I don't think th showrunners were terribly behind the times either

Soul Dentist
Mar 17, 2009
I get that, it just scans really weird. Especially watching the one where T'Pol gets a Pon Farr horny virus almost immediately afterwards. I also like how the aliens were like "'it' is the pronoun we use" and Starfleet is like "uh, hell no pick a side assholes we're going with 'she' arbitrarily"

Zaroff
Nov 10, 2009

Nothing in the world can stop me now!

Soul Dentist posted:

I get that, it just scans really weird. Especially watching the one where T'Pol gets a Pon Farr horny virus almost immediately afterwards. I also like how the aliens were like "'it' is the pronoun we use" and Starfleet is like "uh, hell no pick a side assholes we're going with 'she' arbitrarily"

It still surprises me they held out until the end of the second season before they pulled out the T’Pol Pon Farr episode.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

oh my god the s3 theme is so bad

Soul Dentist
Mar 17, 2009

Zaroff posted:

It still surprises me they held out until the end of the second season before they pulled out the T’Pol Pon Farr episode.

It's surprising to hear there's only one

Fighting Trousers
May 17, 2011

Does this excite you, girl?
I mean, she still got her swerve on, but it wasn't pon farr.

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

No Dignity posted:

To be fair I wanna say they/them didn't really start to become a standard thing until like the mid 2010s? Nonbinary identities didn't really seem to be as formalised in the 00s, it looks crude and kinda stupid now but I don't think th showrunners were terribly behind the times either

Yeah, but "they/them" has legitimately always been an appropriate gender neutral pronoun. Him/her was definitely considered archaic in a lot of formal writing as early as the late 90s and early 2000s, so there's really no great excuse aside from laziness or stubbornness.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

You've been using "they" neutrally for so long that you don't even realize that you do it.

Like you see some moron driving like an rear end in a top hat and you say "look at this idiot, they're all over the road."

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all
Just finished S3 E17.

Poor loving O'Brien.

I would feel so weird being intimate with my wife if I were a time clone.

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

Atlas Hugged posted:

Just finished S3 E17.

Poor loving O'Brien.

I would feel so weird being intimate with my wife if I were a time clone.

just one of many unspeakable horrors to happen to him on the show :cheers:

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

Soul Dentist posted:

It's surprising to hear there's only one

technically it's mirror t'pol but she does trick tucker into thinking they banged with a mind meld

DaveWoo
Aug 14, 2004

Fun Shoe
I'm up to the beginning of Season 4 in my first-time DS9 watch, and I have to say, that season gets off to an extremely strong start in its first two episodes.

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

And when you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss goes 8-8

DaveWoo posted:

I'm up to the beginning of Season 4 in my first-time DS9 watch, and I have to say, that season gets off to an extremely strong start in its first two episodes.

Adding Worf to the cast was a good choice

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Beeftweeter posted:

just one of many unspeakable horrors to happen to him on the show :cheers:

How long did he walk around DS9 trying to figure out what he'd done to piss off Riker after Thomas pulled his poo poo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

zoux posted:

How long did he walk around DS9 trying to figure out what he'd done to piss off Riker after Thomas pulled his poo poo

More likely he thought "oh poo poo he knows"