Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Ok I was wrong about the other thing I said about the Alien game: You can totally leave that first mission halfway through and return later, and also resting does autosave. It didn't the first time I rested for some reason? But it has worked every time since. This has made it all much easier to deal with.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jossar
Apr 2, 2018

Current status: Angry about subs :argh:
Alright, hit the junk part of the Festival, went through ten demos so far today and only found three even remotely worth commenting on.

I wasn't even alive in the 1980s, and the minute I picked up MythForce, I immediately recognized that it was "80s Saturday Morning Cartoons: The Videogame". First Person Roguelike, it very much feels like the studio is trying to do something like Ziggurat or Gunfire Reborn with a different aesthetic.

Joker Rating: Holographic - The theme is on point, but the movement just doesn't feel fluid enough. I'm not sure if that's a choice meant to encourage deliberate and purposeful action, a result of not having gone through metaprogression, or just a plain old oversight. It's way too easy to get boxed in by skeletons and that can quickly lead to you panicking, spending all of your energy, and then just sitting there getting wailed on.

I feel like once you break past some kind of limit or level of understanding this becomes a supremely fun game. But you have to get there first. Also seems like it might be a lot more fun with buddies.

Cyberwar: Neon City is a bullet hell action roguelike where you play as a printed clone of the guy who dies in the opening cutscene, that has a shark gun bound to the stump where one of his arms refuses to grow due to errors in the printing machine/being chosen by the shark gun, who is tasked with fighting the Cyber Monkeys that have taken over the city. The plot of this game is incredibly stupid, so incredibly stupid.

Joker Rating: Holographic - But as an actual game, it's alright. Honestly, I was surprised by how competent Cyberwar: Neon City's gameplay was. But everything played smoothly and after MythForce, I was glad to have a game where the movement was peppy and the action fast-paced. The sort of game that you buy because you've tapped out everything else in the genre and just need something good enough to tide you over until the release of something more interesting.

Baladins is a choose your own story game/RPG where you play an adventurer (or with co-op, a group of adventurers) trying to liven up the world and entertain people. Each adventurer has a set of stats that they're good at and can help boost dice rolls for skill test segments, and can work on training them throughout the game. The game is meant to be played in short bursts of approximately hour long sessions with subsequent playthroughs adding additional content for players to experience.

Joker Rating: [secret] - It's not going to set the world on fire, but for what it is, it's adorable and perfect and I love it. Wishlisted.

Jossar fucked around with this message at 23:41 on Jun 24, 2023

Resonance22
Dec 17, 2006

Pipski posted:

So if I'm the kind of loser that savescums XCOM because I hate losing even a single squaddie, probably not viable? I'm very tempted by it.

For what it's worth, I'm this exact kind of person and just completed the campaign last night without losing a single soldier (by save scumming).

The lack of manual saves does make it more annoying, but generally I had a save within the last 5 minutes. A few times I did have to go back like 15 minutes. The auto save system is kind of a mystery to me. It seems to save on resting or completing objectives, but not always. Sometimes it saves when I rest, sometimes it does not. Either way, I greatly enjoyed my experience with it, but I was pretty much done with it by the last mission or two.

Reloading saves also seems to change the alien's behavior, so I'd still have to be careful when reloading since the aliens could do something different this time around.

There's a cover system that'll highlight green dots on where your soldiers will go, so I didn't have any trouble with that. Some pieces of cover won't have space everyone, so you'll have a dude standing around like an doofus. Sometimes a soldier got stuck on geometry when path finding, and I only realized minutes later when he gets eaten by an alien across the map from the rest of my squad.

I mostly didn't have any issues with pixel hunting and the squad style of control except for when trying to snipe aliens from afar. Only one of my dudes had a sniper, and it's pretty much random where in the squad formation he's placed. So often times his specific line of sight was blocked and I'd have to edge farther into the alien's own line of sight and get caught out.

FutureCop
Jun 7, 2011

Have you heard of Fermat's principle?
Cheers to the people in this for reminding me about Satellite Reign: been meaning to check that out since it's in my library and it almost seemed like a Cyberpunk version of Commandos/Desperados and now that I am, I'm finding it pretty cool! It had a bit of a rough first impression: the open world can be a bit annoying to traverse at first to get all the relays and find out what to do, and I'm still coming to terms with things like clones/hijacks and what skills to prioritize, but it's neato. I really thought that I would hate the fact that you can't pause to micromanage, and that loading a save just takes you to the last relay you visited and not the exact state you saved in, but I actually kind of like the improvisational nature it lends to the game: I got seen during a bank heist I tried to stealth, and due to the very fact that I can't pause or savescum, I chose to roll with the punches and started blasting my way in and out and had a thrilling heist right outta the movies!

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

If you decide you want to be able to pause, there's a mod that enables tactical pausing in Satellite Reign by letting you toggle the slomo ability on and off for free: https://www.gog.com/forum/satellite_reign/modding_now_possible

The game is designed in a way that you don't need it, but I remember the later missions getting pretty drat sweaty and I started using it by like the second district or something :sweatdrop: But that was also almost a decade ago when I wasn't as good at games

deep dish peat moss fucked around with this message at 00:35 on Jun 25, 2023

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Why does every Alien/Aliens game have to eventually switch gears to fighting humans or synths :sigh:

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

give the aliens guns

e: not like, acid spit or bio flechette pukers or any of that sort of thing, literally put the human machine guns in the aliens' hands

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
One of the many alien comics have to had done that at least once

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011

CharlestheHammer posted:

One of the many alien comics have to had done that at least once

It's an android designed to look like an alien.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."
They also had some dickhead named "Atax" who ran around in a weaponized exoskeleton that barely looked like a Xenomorph, I guess because it was a disguise?

Fifty Farts
Dec 23, 2013

- Meticulously Researched
- Peer-reviewed
I know I'm late on it, but TMNT: Shredder's Revenge is fun and good. If you're in the slightly-older demographic (I'm not an old yet, shut up, and stay off the lawn), it's a nice dual-dose of nostalgia for both the 80s/90s cartoon and the 4-player arcade game. Also, the soundtrack is totally rad. I just discovered that Mike Patton does the main theme, which is pretty much a cover of the cartoon theme song.

Also:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r4Kvauxz1DA

I haven't heard that one in-game yet, but just listen to that poo poo, 90s kids (and everyone else).

edit: I forgot to mention the reason I finally picked it up on sale: there's going to be a DLC that will add Usagi Yojimbo as a playable character!

Fifty Farts fucked around with this message at 01:59 on Jun 25, 2023

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

So far, Alien: Dark Descent feels like a game where all the focus was on getting people through the refund period. There's an hour-long, dreadful prologue full of slow movement and forced dialog, then one cool mission that takes over an hour to complete because it's a big open map with tons of objectives that ends with a lovely boss, then the next mission after that just... sucks. You fight Xenomorph Cultist humans who run straight at you with pickaxes (same as the alien AI) while watching cutscenes and listening to dialog, and it at least starts out very linear where you basically just walk down the hallways the game wants you to walk down and deal with threats on the way in order to open doors to progress your truck.

Anyone who's played past this mission able to comment on what further missions are like? The first mission was cool but I couldn't really imagine an entire game of that, and this second mission sucks.

e: Actually thinking back the first mission was kind of boring and dumb playing through it this second time when I knew how retreating back to base worked, because doing that completely resets alien aggression and the way the game works, at 0% aggression there are virtually no enemies wandering around, and nothing actually happens until you alert the horde. So this second time through I think I only saw like 3 xenomorphs the entire time other than the 2 bosses, I just sprinted from objective to objective lmao.

deep dish peat moss fucked around with this message at 02:28 on Jun 25, 2023

Soysaucebeast
Mar 4, 2008

Has anyone here played The Bookwalker or The Final Station? The Bookwalker popped up on some YouTube game reviewer I follow and it looked interesting and right up my alley. But sometimes indie games like that can be very hit or miss, so I figured I'd ask y'all what you think. It's the same studio that did The Final Station and that also looks right up my alley, but again, I don't know this studio at all. I figure worst case I'll just get them in some sale or another and then they'll sit in my library forever without being touched. But If they're actually good, it would be nice to have another Steam Deck game to play on the couch.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Deadlink is a cyberpunk roguelite FPS whose biggest separator from games like Ziggurat is, basically, having combat arenas with any design to them at all vs flat rear end boxes. Actually you also have a grapple hook (that only works on enemies and pickups) and a stun blast too which operate on cooldowns, and a dash and double jump. There are good qualities here and it's a nice looking game, but once again, as is all too typical with roguelites, I was like "huh this shotgun is doing like 20% HP damage to these bog standard goons---- ohhhhhhhh nooooo" and yep, this is a game with Metaprogression (tm) where you increase your max damage between runs, your max HP, etc. gently caress that. Just let the game be a game of skill rather than a game of "you played long enough that we will allow you to win now". Not wishlisted.

Defender's Quest 2 is such a smooth continuation of the original that it feels like 10 years haven't passed since the original. There are some adjustments to the gameplay but the general flow is the same... you place your heroes on the board, boost their levels up as you get juice from enemies, do some occasional attacks yourself, and upgrade their abilities and equipment between levels. It has speeds from 1/4x to 8x for those that loved to fast forward the gently caress out of the first game. In this game the base you're defending is a living creature that is armed with cannons you can fire on the field, from laser guns to ice bombs that slow enemies down. The story is sci-fi this time and kinda... eh. The game is focused on level design first and foremost. The full release must at least be somewhat soon, as the demo allows you to export your save (to a text file) to transfer to the full version. Wishlisted.

Maybe my definition of open world is different from the Severed Steel developer, but Echo Point Nova's demo certainly isn't open, it's extremely linear. You go on a direct path from floating island to floating island, finding new gear that gives you additional abilities and weapons, from a double jump to grapple hook to a skateboard that lets you go very fast and wallsurf as well as slam into enemies. Which is great! But, I like this demo rather than love it. It feels like a step back aesthetically, and the audio design on the weapons is weak (the shotgun sounds puny to me, always an FPS crime). I really like the idea of the sledgehammer and being able to break through terrain, and how you can find secrets that way. I don't love that powers have to be switched between, at least on M&KB i feel like there should be a way to utilize these across multiple keys... and certainly on a controller there'd be enough buttons to have at least two powers equipped at once. Wishlisted for now but mostly because I trust the dev.

KVLT is pretty mediocre and not worth talkin' about. A bit sluggish, awkward jumping, just doesn't feel fun to play. Nope.

Logic Town is a bounty for those who love classical logic puzzles. It has a polished design to it, where other cells will auto-complete if no other solution exists, and as you complete levels, the little 3D story dioramas will have little animations that improve or add to them. The demo has a train station diorama and as you solve puzzles, the debris gets removed, benches get added, luggage gets sorted... It's cute! This is a neat lil' game. Wishlisted.

The Lost Uncle starts out with really bad voice acting and an initial task of finding three earthworms for birds. Okay?? You want me to find needles in a haystack next? Get out of here.

This Bed We Made is intriguing, a snooping mystery game where you play a housekeeping employee at a hotel and peek through people's things as you clean their rooms. What you take or leave will potentially be noticed by the guests. The demo takes place mid-story and gives you enough to chew on to decide if you vibe with what the game is putting down. I do, BUT. I will say this. The direction of the cutscenes would be highly competent for a live-action film, with suspenseful pacing and strong shot composition... but it loses something when the character is not fully mocapped. Expressions are canned much like an old Telltale game, and this issue was kind of a problem in those games as well. You need full performance mocap for major plot beats, in my opinion, to really sell the pacing. Otherwise it just feels awkward because you have a model that is doing canned animations and then stopping, then going into an animation and then stopping, etc. The budget may be too indie for them to afford high-scale motion capture, however. So I'll try to keep that in mind for the full release. Wishlisted.

Next batch: A Void Hope, Lords of Exile, Stick to the Plan, LunarLux, GenoPanic, Born of Bread, Alterium Shift, En Garde, Sk8r G8r 3D, Moonlight Pulse

Soysaucebeast posted:

Has anyone here played The Bookwalker or The Final Station? The Bookwalker popped up on some YouTube game reviewer I follow and it looked interesting and right up my alley. But sometimes indie games like that can be very hit or miss, so I figured I'd ask y'all what you think. It's the same studio that did The Final Station and that also looks right up my alley, but again, I don't know this studio at all. I figure worst case I'll just get them in some sale or another and then they'll sit in my library forever without being touched. But If they're actually good, it would be nice to have another Steam Deck game to play on the couch.
If you have Gamepass you can play The Bookwalker on there, although it is a pre-day 1 patch version that has glitches with some of the readable notes.

The 7th Guest fucked around with this message at 03:40 on Jun 25, 2023

Bard Maddox
Feb 15, 2012

I'm just a sick guy, I'm really just a dirty guy.

that’s a pretty good goof

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

My confusion re: not being able to make closed loops in Mars First Logistics was answered by the dev in the steam forums. It's apparently by design that every part can only have one "parent" and as such you're not table to make closed loops. I ran into this trying to make a bulldozer thing because I couldn't connect the two arms together. The parts are really rigid so this isn't too big of a problem but you do have to build with it in mind.

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004
More Demos

The Cosmic Wheel Sisterhood

An often very horny conversation game about intergalactic immortal witches. I'm deeply suspicious of all procedural narrative and while the user-generated tarot cards are a great bit of player expression, it's not clear on how they affect the story nor what they actually mean. Anyway, it looks like a cool world to inhabit and the writing is pretty decent.

Verdict: It'll probably be on Gamepass and I'll try it then.

Defender's Quest 2: Mist of Ruin

You're probably not playing Defender's Quest for the story but it's a bit impenetrable here. The tower defence game play is fine, probably more challenging if I hadn't played with the assistance modes maxed out. The interface still feels like Defender's Quest 1 but with a light reskin and DQ1 had an old feeling interface in 2012. Still love not having to maze in a tower defence game. You do have to abandon your old team regularly which I don't know how I feel about. Some interesting ideas though.

Verdict: Probably a pass from me, I wasn't feeling it. But definitely a game for someone.

Logic Town

In 1991, German developer Everett Kasser made the classic logic puzzle game Sherlock. You can still play it in all of its Windows 3.1 glory today thanks to continuous updates through the decades with the last being 2016. It's available to purchase with a chunky shareware demo on his 90s-tastic website https://www.kaser.com/sherwin.html. Logic Town is Sherlock cloned and transplanted into the mobile era, probably without Kasser's knowledge. With cute animals, a story, a sense of progression, a modern sense of graphic design, and instead of RTFM has a generous learning curve. Like the original Sherlock it's great bubble wrap puzzle solving.

Verdict: I bought Sherlock and put this on my wishlist

A Void Hope

The makers of the Alwa's series of metroidvania games, have done it again! The environment's rule, the platforming is great, the puzzling good, and the combat deliberate. Set in the modern day with a Revita like tone about lost memories and zombies that can't be put down for a slight survival horror style flavour (there's no resource management thank god).

Verdict: Wishlisted

Venba

If you've seen the trailer, you know what this game is. It's a light cooking themed narrative game about the immigrant experience. It's executed very well. You can mess up a recipe but there's no punishment for that. Maybe you'll learn something playing the game.

Verdit: Wishlisted and I'll play it when it comes out on games pass.

Saltsea Chronicles

I've got to be honest there's something about some types of Ink implementations that make my eyes just slid off the words. There's a lot of words in this game and they just don't seem very important. Everyone has emotional stressors but are also very accepting of each other. It's cozy. The demo island panders heavily to the cat crowd. Every so often you are offered to choices to make and they're worse than the Fallout 4 short prompts in terms of knowing what they mean. There's hints and UI about managing the crew's relationships with each other but I couldn't bring myself to care about anyone. The look of the game is a more artsy Corporate Memphis. The game is all sorts of not for me and what I don't like in current cultural trends.

Verdict: Probably never going to play again

Tobor

I guess I would describe this as Don't Feed the Monkeys meets Undertale(?). It's very weird, and I had no idea what I was supposed to be doing. The writing is not good and can't carry the game. Which as a mystery/voyeurism game you need to be carried by your writing. The art is interesting though and there's an eccentric touch which I have a strong affection for.

Verdict: Not wishlisted

funkmeister
Feb 20, 2010

About your father. If it's any help, he's in the ground now. Sure, it's bad news for him. But on the other hand, it's party time for all those little worms.

beats for junkies posted:

I know I'm late on it, but TMNT: Shredder's Revenge is fun and good. If you're in the slightly-older demographic (I'm not an old yet, shut up, and stay off the lawn), it's a nice dual-dose of nostalgia for both the 80s/90s cartoon and the 4-player arcade game. Also, the soundtrack is totally rad. I just discovered that Mike Patton does the main theme, which is pretty much a cover of the cartoon theme song.

Also:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r4Kvauxz1DA

I haven't heard that one in-game yet, but just listen to that poo poo, 90s kids (and everyone else).

edit: I forgot to mention the reason I finally picked it up on sale: there's going to be a DLC that will add Usagi Yojimbo as a playable character!

Hell yeah! Missed the announcement of the DLC, I bemoaned the lack of Usagi in the base game. Hope the new game mode is some type of roguelite like SoR4 added.
Too bad the release is TBA, not even which year it's expected.

RoboCicero
Oct 22, 2009

"I'm sick and tired of reading these posts!"
In Stars And Time

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1677310/In_Stars_And_Time/
I liked this enough to wishlist it and stop playing in case demo progress doesn't carry over. Billed as a time-loop RPG where only you know you're in a time loop, I like the sense of humor it has even if I'll admit it's probably not for everyone (very, uh, webcomic-y and internet-y of a certain era?) The drawings are well done, the writing is confident in its own voice and the combat is serviceable. I'm into it!

Videoverse

https://store.steampowered.com/app/2079180/VIDEOVERSE/
Kind of like Hypnospace Outlaw meets Emily is Away, maybe? I have not played Emily is Away. You stump around on a imagined early-internet that reminds me of nothing more than GameFAQs melded with Miiverse. The gameplay is selecting responses to your friends and what to post on the boards, with a little dash of playing forum cop. Presumably what you do will shape both your character and the tone and toxicity of the forums. I liked the brief demo and I'm curious what the story plans on exploring.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

A Void Hope: This one's a little disappointing to me, because it's by Elden Pixels who made one of my favorite puzzle-focused Metroidvanias of all time, Alwa's Legacy. This is a more standard linear puzzle-platformer, and the art is still nice, but man it gets off to a bad first impression by having you do box pushing puzzles. I'm tired of box pushing puzzles in platformers. Everyone please, we have to move on. First person shooters did, RPGs did, it's time for platformers to do it too. Leave box pushing to the Sokobans out there where they can be best utilized. There's quasi-zombies that will chase after you and if they touch you, there's no damage or even animation, it just fades to black and takes you back to a checkpoint. Eh. It feels like a step down to me. I do like the shooting mechanic which is a bit tense, and I appreciate the levels have optional challenges. But I'll wait on reviews for this. Not wishlisted.

I like a good Castlevania, but my dude needs to move a lot faster in Lords of Exile. Like this is Gameboy Castlevania Belmont speed and that's not gonna cut it. He can certainly move a little faster than he does right now and that slow speed is killliiinnngggg meeeeee. Aesthetic is solid, the music is a nice mix of 8-bit and 16-bit instrumentation, more people should do that. Not wishlisted for now.

I'm always on the lookout for the year's Big Puzzler. this year it might be Can of Wormholes, but I also like what Stick to the Plan is showing me. Yeah, the cutscene art is infinitely more charming than the 3D (though this can certainly be polished up), but the puzzling itself is good. You have a stick you're trying to get to the goal, and in each level it could be several tiles long. You can rotate, but only if nothing is in your way. You'll have to put down the stick, place it across gaps and pick it up on the other side, push it through holes in the fence (legitimately a cool bespoke puzzle idea) and rotate yourself in free areas in order to maneuver yourself to each goal. Could be pretty good if the 3D has a bit more shine and presentational polish to it.

LunarLux is pretty solid as far as indie JRPGs go. It reminds me of Jack Move, as it is a sci-fi RPG with a party of one (and occasional support characters), although it lacks the elemental rock-paper-scissors of that game. Instead you augment your combat skills with a random selection of support skills (so there's a tiny bit of deckbuilding I suppose)-- these support skills can be leveled up to be stronger with skill points. The combat has a bit of Mario & Luigi to it-- shields can be activated with timing against enemy attacks, and you may have to switch between lanes to avoid projectiles. Some of your attacks have unique mechanics to them as well. I dig the GBA-inspired look of the game, even though that does mean the text is pretty large, but hey! Less eye strain on a Steam Deck! Speaking of which, no matter what controls you use, the game expects you to use Escape key to exit the game which is weird. Seems like something they should probably address before release! Because you have to force exit on Deck as a result.

Color me decently impressed by GenoPanic, by a dev whose only other game on Steam seems like a not-super-great looking VR shooter. This seems more like their strong suit, sort of Dead Space by way of Environmental Station Alpha. It's a slow burn as you don't get your first weapon until nearly 20 minutes into the game, but I am cautiously optimistic about this one. I like the visuals, there's some fun humor, and it is nicely atmospheric. Wishlisted.

Also interested in Moonlight Pulse, though it has a different vibe. It's by the developer of Vision: Soft Reset, the time loop Metroidvania that goons have enjoyed and talked about in the past (a known favorite of the itch.io BLM bundle). So push past the kinda ugly splash image on the Steam page. This is one of those MVs where the new abilities come in the form of characters that you switch between. The first character has a run and air dash and a melee attack, while the second character has the ability to shoot in 4 directions which allows you to destroy obstacles you can't reach with the first character. My assumption is that each character will likely get an additional ability over the course of the game as well. It is polished in its own way, though the pixel art is not quite as refined. Wishlisted, though this one's not coming out this year for sure.

What I've got left to try: Born of Bread, Alterium Shift, En Garde, Sk8r G8r 3D, Dungeon Golf, Great Ambition of the Slimes, El Paso Elsewhere, Fortune's Run, The Legend of Skye, Leximan, Lil Guardsman, Luna Abyss, MEAT II, Moonstone Island, One Lonely Outpost, Paleo Pines, Phoenix Springs, Shadow Gambit: The Cursed Crew, Tagline, Videoverse, Wanderful, Toziuha Night: Order of the Alchemists, Bad Boro, Baladins, In Stars and Time, Loddlenaut, Deer Crusade, Pizza Possum, Cuisineer, Beastieball, Saltsea Chronicles, The Last Alchemist, Girl Genius

Having played 20 demos today... playing the remaining 33 before the demos disappear is unlikely.. I'll just pick and choose what makes sense. I know Fortune's Run's demo has existed outside of Next Fest, for example, so I can hold off on that one, and I'll see if any of those games mention they'll be doing something similar. Of course some demos are drm-free and will work after they are removed from the shop.

Favorite demos today were Bilkin's Folly, Defender's Quest 2, Logic Town, This Bed We Made, and LunarLux. But there were others I liked too. After I'm done with Next Fest I'll probably ignore demos for a while and get back to my backlog, even though I still have a few dozen unlimited-time demos installed to the Deck because I'm a weirdo.

The 7th Guest fucked around with this message at 07:15 on Jun 25, 2023

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf
I replayed Transistor.

You know what? I played this all wrong the first time around. The Turn() system is completely optional, and you can just play it in real time and be fine. In fact, you're kind of encouraged to do this in NG+; the last function you unlock has a passive mode that lets you heal while in real time. Spark(Purge, Tap) can melt most normal enemies, and you can deal with the big health-pool fuckers if you chain up a couple of Voids to debuff them. Also, the Switch power is a bit fiddly on its own, but you can apply it as a modifier to Ping and just have instant enemy conversion whenever you like. There's a lot more of this game in Hades than I'd previously realised.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

Kazzah posted:

I replayed Transistor.

You know what? I played this all wrong the first time around. The Turn() system is completely optional, and you can just play it in real time and be fine. In fact, you're kind of encouraged to do this in NG+; the last function you unlock has a passive mode that lets you heal while in real time. Spark(Purge, Tap) can melt most normal enemies, and you can deal with the big health-pool fuckers if you chain up a couple of Voids to debuff them. Also, the Switch power is a bit fiddly on its own, but you can apply it as a modifier to Ping and just have instant enemy conversion whenever you like. There's a lot more of this game in Hades than I'd previously realised.

I love Transistor, for whatever reason it will always be my favorite game, it just clicked with me so much I played it through a second time immediately when I never replay anything ever.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
I love SuperGiant's stuff (well not Pyre), but for the life of me I can't remember anything about Transistor. Like I beat it, it had a sword that talked to you, and I was confused about the story, but it just instantly vacated my brain somehow.

Given my impression of it, is it worth going back to and replaying? Keep in mind that I loved Bastion and remember it vividly, but it's very rough to try and go back to after playing Hades, so I'm not sure if Transistor has the same problem.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

socialsecurity posted:

I love Transistor, for whatever reason it will always be my favorite game, it just clicked with me so much I played it through a second time immediately when I never replay anything ever.

Same. I wasn't constantly experimenting with the abilities, but even just the handful of new combinations I created with two copies of an ability was great. The second time round I was able to beat the final battle without getting hit once, which felt amazing.

Just a constant rotation of debuff, insane DoT ability and dash, dash, dash far away! By the time he came close I was recharged and did it all over again.

Mierenneuker fucked around with this message at 11:30 on Jun 25, 2023

Resonance22
Dec 17, 2006

deep dish peat moss posted:

Anyone who's played past this mission able to comment on what further missions are like? The first mission was cool but I couldn't really imagine an entire game of that, and this second mission sucks.

If I recall correctly, most of the missions after this will still have some human enemies, but I primarily fought xenomorphs since those are the units that alert each other and will endlessly spawn. The humans are easier to deal with as they don't immediately alert the hive, but gun fire can attract a nearby xeno which can then cause a whole cascade.

Later, a doomsday timer starts, so you cannot just go back to base at a whim. I usually pushed in until my dudes were near death or the alien aggression was getting to hard+ levels. There's also a planetary infestation meter that increases with each day and will increase alien spawns. By the end of the game, each spawn point probably had ~5 aliens patrolling around it for me.

The shooty bits are definitely the most exciting, but you honestly spend most of the time sneaking (or sprint sneaking) around. As far as I can tell, running doesn't seem to alert aliens at all if they don't have line of sight.

Resonance22 fucked around with this message at 12:38 on Jun 25, 2023

FastestGunAlive
Apr 7, 2010

Dancing palm tree.
I’m here for 7th G’s strong opinions on roguelite Metaprogression (tm)

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

FastestGunAlive posted:

I’m here for 7th G’s strong opinions on roguelite Metaprogression (tm)

Extremely correct opinion.

FastestGunAlive
Apr 7, 2010

Dancing palm tree.

Jack Trades posted:

Extremely correct opinion.

I’m now also here for your opinion as well

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe
I normally enjoy roguelites, but there is a blend of progress you make because of your abilities and progress you make because of the metaprogression.

Meta-cliffs and skill-cliffs always feel extremely off and really take you out of the game.

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

Kazzah posted:

I replayed Transistor.

yeah if you ever watch a speedrun of transistor they do basically all the combat in real time since it ends up being faster

Zapf Dingbat
Jan 9, 2001

I can't figure out why my games are minimizing by themselves. It seems to only happen on Steam, but I don't think I've played enough of my GOG games lately to observe it there.

I've tried completely disabling the windows 10 Action Center so no notifications will pop up. I shut down all background apps (Slack, Discord, Google Drive, etc.) and turned off the Steam overlay and Nvidia overlay. Nothing works.

But after typing this out, it made me think: maybe it's only on games that use the controller? I don't think it happens on kb+m games. Maybe it has something to do with the Xbox game overlay thing.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

ninjoatse.cx posted:

I normally enjoy roguelites, but there is a blend of progress you make because of your abilities and progress you make because of the metaprogression.

Meta-cliffs and skill-cliffs always feel extremely off and really take you out of the game.
Yeah ideally metaprogression should incline at the same pace as the player's regular progression through the game, but too often in the lesser roguelites, it is just there to gate you until you've played long enough to buy the required upgrades to pass the general stat check needed. Battle Shapers has a fun core but it has a similar issue of starting you off with little HP/shields and you're expected to play run after run in order to acquire the points needed to upgrade your HP/shields and damage and etc.

I think a more ideal form of unlocks would be about enabling all kinds of playstyles, rather than Stat Go Up

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
I really don't envy devs who need to find that sweet spot since it's going to vary heavily based on player skill and expectations.

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe
The example that pops to mind is rogue legacy 2 which had a boss that had a skill cliff, and how failing at that boss made you restart the game instead of just replaying that boss immediately like most modern games.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Rogue Legacy is the worst offender for popularizing that loving poo poo.

Depressing Box
Jun 27, 2010

Half-price sideshow.
One interesting approach I've seen is Boneraiser Minions, where the metaprogression upgrades are for you and the enemies. You can both add persistent perks to your class and increase the variety and power of the enemies you face (which will then drop higher level materials).

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Serephina posted:

I love SuperGiant's stuff (well not Pyre), but for the life of me I can't remember anything about Transistor. Like I beat it, it had a sword that talked to you, and I was confused about the story, but it just instantly vacated my brain somehow.

Given my impression of it, is it worth going back to and replaying? Keep in mind that I loved Bastion and remember it vividly, but it's very rough to try and go back to after playing Hades, so I'm not sure if Transistor has the same problem.

Transistor and Pyre are both form over function, but while everything technically works it's more of an art project made into a game rather then the other way around.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG

Depressing Box posted:

One interesting approach I've seen is Boneraiser Minions, where the metaprogression upgrades are for you and the enemies. You can both add persistent perks to your class and increase the variety and power of the enemies you face (which will then drop higher level materials).

That game is so good. It's my favorite of all the VS clones tbqh, maybe even edging out VS proper

AfricanBootyShine
Jan 9, 2006

Snake wins.

Jerusalem posted:

Not discounting that this has obviously happened to you, because obviously it has! But I'm just curious if this is a common thing a lot of people are experiencing, since I haven't had any issue playing a non-Steam game with a controller even if the Steam client is open.

It's a feature of the new steam controller setup. Outside of a game it'll make the controller act like a mouse which fucks up everything outside of steam.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

wow that's almost a good idea