Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Buck Wildman)

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

telling anybody ff16 has no party and immediately turn thems off, not going to do well except jrpg people

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

ff7 2 is the square game i care about

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Nonsense posted:

telling anybody ff16 has no party and immediately turn thems off, not going to do well except jrpg people

a lot of games don't have a party

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

I am Metango, Galactic Governor

one of the ff16 clips I watched had the guy punting a dog, problematic

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

olives black posted:

the ps5 might get me if only to have a back-up blu-ray/PS4/Youtube player

the new Xbox thing though -> :lol:

I like the ps5 aesthetic but if I didn't have a pc I'd get an xbex. I don't really get the point of the ps5 so far

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY
Ff16 is my goty unless fortnite does something cooler than usual

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Real hurthling! posted:

the first 6 months of parental leave fatherhood is the most productive gaming time you will ever have and then boom they can crawl off the baby pillow one day and its over

Switch and Steam Deck combo has been a lifesaver for me this time around. Dunno what I would have done if I had a baby in the pre-Switch days. Fire Emblem replay?

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Communist Thoughts posted:

I like the ps5 aesthetic but if I didn't have a pc I'd get an xbex. I don't really get the point of the ps5 so far

consoles that release everything on pc anyway within a year are pointless.

Antonymous
Apr 4, 2009

ps5 is $400 with a controller, used even less. I can sit on my couch and use my existing TV

What is the value of a PC that can run those games

I guess if you pirate stuff you can offset costs plus there's almost every game ever made on PC

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:
the genesis was better than the snes

Antonymous
Apr 4, 2009

its funny that the oled switch is 10% less $ than the ps5

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Antonymous posted:

ps5 is $400 with a controller, used even less. I can sit on my couch and use my existing TV

I guess if you pirate stuff you can offset costs plus there's almost every game ever made on PC

Get a Steam Deck and you can hack it and take it on the bus and play it while rocking your infant son to sleep

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Augus posted:

a lot of games don't have a party
i'm just confused at the idea that not having a party would scare off non-jrpg fans.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Also where's the $400 figure from, I'm still seeing $500

Clip-On Fedora
Feb 20, 2011

loquacius posted:

Finished Wind Temple in TotK last night btw, it was badass

It was on the scale of BotW dungeons rather than classic Zelda ones but the leadup to it where you're flying around the sky islands in the blizzard probably counted as part of the dungeon too, and the concept (fleet of ghost ships floating inside a giant storm cloud with a flying ice serpent imprisoned within) was metal as gently caress

Probably gonna go check out the Hylian corner of the map now so I can visit those towns before I start hunting for another temple

They did a really good job with the temples in this one.

Antonymous
Apr 4, 2009

it's $400 for a ps5 that doesn't have the disk tray, the 'digital edition'

granted digital games never are on sale and cannot be bought used or resold. so it's a penny wise pound foolish product

edit: I also cannot watch my precious 4k HDR blurays on my gaming console

Antonymous has issued a correction as of 19:11 on Jun 25, 2023

Antonymous
Apr 4, 2009

the steamdeck doesn't have an oled screen lmao

edit: holy poo poo the thing is huge wtf

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

A Buttery Pastry posted:

i'm just confused at the idea that not having a party would scare off non-jrpg fans.

average gamer dude that loves god of war recoiling in horror when I tell them a game is out where you mainly control one guy with AI companions helping you out

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Antonymous posted:

yeah i buy a 1000$ gamerz laptop every 5 years, plug it into the tv, sit on the couch with a wireless keyboard and steal 5000+ dollars of software on it, and sell it on ebay with no harddrive when im done.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

It's true. The Switch feels tiny and frail after my oafish hands got used to the Deck

The Deck thread recommended a grip for Switch usage post-Deck but I haven't felt the need to like spend money over it or anything

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Antonymous posted:

You can hook up your pc to a TV these days, shits crazy

It is cheaper than a gaming pc tho

E tho with gaming prices these days you only need to pirate like 8 games before you've saved money

Antonymous
Apr 4, 2009

its like when I had a gameboy and my friend had a gamegear and I felt kinda bad for 'em even though it had real sonic. Had to change the batteries every 45 minutes, back before rechargeable

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

game gear sonic was dire as hell until like sonic chaos came out late

sonic 2 on game gear is child abuse

Antonymous
Apr 4, 2009

can the steamdeck go on my TV for 4 player games

edit: can other controllers connect to it if so?

Fuckt Tupp
Apr 19, 2007

Science

Real hurthling! posted:

game gear sonic was dire as hell until like sonic chaos came out late

sonic 2 on game gear is child abuse

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Antonymous posted:

can the steamdeck go on my TV for 4 player games

edit: can other controllers connect to it if so?

Yes and yes

Antonymous
Apr 4, 2009

the switch has dogshit controllers and nothing uses its touchscreen for fear of not being compatible with TV play

I don't like its emulation as a service thing. But otherwise it's good. tbh gaming doesn't need good graphics except death stranding 2

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
there are a few switch games ive played where the touchscreen is helpful, like Hypnospace Outlaw and Slay The Spire op.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

Antonymous posted:

I don't like its emulation as a service thing. But otherwise it's good. tbh gaming doesn't need good graphics except death stranding 2

yup. mario odyssey/botw is perfectly good graphics. most of my game time these days is with like indie games that are varying levels of SNES pixel graphics to macromedia-flash graphics to WC3-level graphics

however, much like a very rich cheesecake, it can be fun to play a real visual treat like Death Stranding once every year or 2. but most western AAA games are dogshit trash

Fuckt Tupp
Apr 19, 2007

Science

Antonymous posted:

the switch has dogshit controllers and nothing uses its touchscreen for fear of not being compatible with TV play

chicory, okami, the world ends with u and captain toad all use touch screen features on handheld off the top of my head, def the best way to play okami

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

I am Metango, Galactic Governor

Antonymous posted:

its like when I had a gameboy and my friend had a gamegear and I felt kinda bad for 'em even though it had real sonic. Had to change the batteries every 45 minutes, back before rechargeable

I'm sorry you're comparing the switch's battery life positively to something lmfao

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

PC gaming should be done at a desk sitting at attention.

Antonymous
Apr 4, 2009

steam deck battery life 1.5-2 hours
Switch battery life 4.5-9 hours

that's what google said though I think for switch 4 hours is probably the max with any 3d game

edit: a youtube I found said TOTK on OLED switch lasted 6 hours

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

The Steam Deck is basically a copy of the Switch's form factor with better specs and a different (better) ecosystem (and, again, super hackable as it just runs Linux). It's a beefy boi but I have taken it traveling and thoroughly enjoyed the experience. It's a good machine op

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Antonymous posted:

that's what google said though I think for switch 4 hours is probably the max with any 3d game

Not sure what the person who measured this was doing on their Deck. I tried emulating Xenoblade 3 on it and it was chugging and whirring and gasping for breath and it lasted about that long; typical usage would be better

Antonymous
Apr 4, 2009

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S7beo-5AYyc

this video shows oled switch getting maybe 40% more runtime on the same game

edit: and spiderman killing it in 1hr22m

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

Antonymous posted:

edit: a youtube I found said TOTK on OLED switch lasted 6 hours

Deck battery is entirely dependent on the game, something like Death Stranding is 2 hours if you're lucky while Slay the Spire could be a solid 6.

Hatebag
Jun 17, 2008

God that game fuckin sucked. As a kid my parents got us a game gear with that and this terminator 2 game

So terrible i don't think we ever asked for another game gear game. Cool piece of hardware, though you'd need a pallet of batteries to make it truly portable

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Xaris posted:

yup. mario odyssey/botw is perfectly good graphics. most of my game time these days is with like indie games that are varying levels of SNES pixel graphics to macromedia-flash graphics to WC3-level graphics

however, much like a very rich cheesecake, it can be fun to play a real visual treat like Death Stranding once every year or 2. but most western AAA games are dogshit trash

Problem is if you emulate them you can't go back. All their games look way better in HD at good framerates

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry
Steam Deck is cool but yeah it's battery life is not great in general, though does depend on the game. if you fly international, try to get a plane that has working power outlets (lollllll lmao) or else it's only gunna get you a fraction there.

i also find it a bit uncomfortable to hold for long periods of time though so maybe tis for th e best