Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Buck Wildman)

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

Pro move is to take a road trip and have the SO do most of the driving while you plug that Deck into a power inverter and game battery-free

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

smarxist
Jul 26, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Al! posted:

the genesis was better than the snes

:hai:

it did what nintendidn't

also: blast processing.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry
Cool Spot genesis was much better than Cool Spot snes.

checkmate snesailures

Fuckt Tupp
Apr 19, 2007

Science

Hatebag posted:

God that game fuckin sucked. As a kid my parents got us a game gear with that and this terminator 2 game

So terrible i don't think we ever asked for another game gear game. Cool piece of hardware, though you'd need a pallet of batteries to make it truly portable

i had sonic 2, a taz mania game, a garfield game and a baseball game and the baseball one was the only one that didnt feel like torture to play and i didnt even like baseball

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

I am Metango, Galactic Governor

not saying the deck's battery life is good don't get me wrong. I pack a battery pack with me when I take it on trips

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry
though for real most genesis games were not great compared to Mario RPG, Chrono Trigger, Soul Blazer, Illusions of Gaia, Starfox, Mario World, Yoshi's Island, Terrangima, Earthbound, Donkey Kong 1-3, Star Wars SNES, LTTP, Secret of Mana, Star Ocean, Tales of Phantasia, Super Metroid, FF3, etc. snes has some of the best games that still stand the test of time: far more than n64/psx/ps2/ps3 etc has

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

Schmoe Cwead posted:

i had sonic 2, a taz mania game, a garfield game and a baseball game and the baseball one was the only one that didnt feel like torture to play and i didnt even like baseball

lol i could never beat that stupid mine cart level in taz mania, loving bullshit rear end game.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Switch is likely the longest lasting battery device since the garage door opener

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

my bony fealty posted:

Pro move is to take a road trip and have the SO do most of the driving while you plug that Deck into a power inverter and game battery-free

I had a Sega Nomad as a kid and that motherfucker could chew through a pack of 6 AAs in like half an hour but it had a good long car adapter cord so I was all good

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

smarxist posted:

love video gamin' in 2023

what's it like being a paypig for blizzard

Fuckt Tupp
Apr 19, 2007

Science

Xaris posted:

lol i could never beat that stupid mine cart level in taz mania, loving bullshit rear end game.

oh god the music

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PAUGAd4C204

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

Buck Wildman posted:

not saying the deck's battery life is good don't get me wrong. I pack a battery pack with me when I take it on trips

Which pack? I could use a good one.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Xaris posted:

though for real most genesis games were not great compared to Mario RPG, Chrono Trigger, Soul Blazer, Illusions of Gaia, Starfox, Mario World, Yoshi's Island, Terrangima, Earthbound, Donkey Kong 1-3, Star Wars SNES, LTTP, Secret of Mana, Star Ocean, Tales of Phantasia, Super Metroid, FF3, etc. snes has some of the best games that still stand the test of time: far more than n64/psx/ps2/ps3 etc has

yeah but ssf2t had all the buttons on my cousins genesis

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

my bony fealty posted:

Which pack? I could use a good one.

I've got two: a ZMI PowerPack 20000 and a Ravpower Turbo+. both are decently small and come with nice pouches that I just plunk into my backpack and can hold several hours of charge for quite awhile. just one's enough for most circumstances but I bring both if I'm on a super long flight or something

Fuckt Tupp
Apr 19, 2007

Science

do they make these for the steam deck?

smarxist
Jul 26, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
what was the battery life on the Sega Nomad then like 180 seconds?

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Buck Wildman posted:

I've got two: a ZMI PowerPack 20000 and a Ravpower Turbo+. both are decently small and come with nice pouches that I just plunk into my backpack and can hold several hours of charge for quite awhile. just one's enough for most circumstances but I bring both if I'm on a super long flight or something

Looks like the ZMI costs literally twice as much as the Ravpower (or Anker) equivalents. What's its advantage?

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

my hot take is that OLEDs are cool and all but the issue of burnin is still enough that they go bad after like 3-5 and as such they're not worth the purchase

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:

Xaris posted:

counterpoint: dynamite headdy

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

I watched the cutscene from d4 that everyone hypes up and it's pretty typical blizzard affair and it doesn't even have a beam struggle

It's probably better if you've paid 70 quid to see it though and know why this particular Kerrigan is doing her thing (she seems to be a spurned mother this time)

CaptainBeefart
Mar 28, 2016

Xaris posted:

Cool Spot genesis was much better than Cool Spot snes.

checkmate snesailures

Yep. Also Gunstar Heroes.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

smarxist posted:

Basically

It came with an external battery pack because they literally could not fit enough batteries to make it usable inside the thing's chassis. I think they knew playing it plugged in was pretty much the only viable option

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

smarxist posted:

the nomad screen was so blurry and lovely you basically had to play docked to tv to see anything

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

loquacius posted:

Looks like the ZMI costs literally twice as much as the Ravpower (or Anker) equivalents. What's its advantage?

the ZMI was a gift so I can't speak to the cost. it's got a really good charging speed and capacity, a full charge from empty is like two hours in my experience

I'm not an expert on this stuff in any way so deffo do your research

smarxist
Jul 26, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
the best game on SNES was Kirby's Dream Course

smarxist
Jul 26, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
oh man remember Super Gameboy? that was a loving rad little addon

they even started including super gameboy color palettes in GB games and poo poo, and sometimes little easter eggs

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

CaptainBeefart posted:

Yep. Also Gunstar Heroes.

Genesis Aladdin was also way better than SNES Aladdin, and Genesis Earthworm Jim had a whole-rear end level in it they literally couldn't fit on the SNES cart

Popy
Feb 19, 2008

i remember playing pokemon yellow on a super gameboy.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

smarxist posted:

oh man remember Super Gameboy? that was a loving rad little addon

they even started including super gameboy color palettes in GB games and poo poo, and sometimes little easter eggs

This thing owned and I could only ever play it at other kids' houses

Popy
Feb 19, 2008

kids these days take pokemon being in color for granted smh

Blame Pyrrhus
May 6, 2003

Me reaping: Well this fucking sucks. What the fuck.
Pillbug

Xaris posted:

The genesis had the climax RPGs (Shining in the Darkness, Shining Force, and Landstalker) and also the best version of any 16bit SF2. But honestly all of that is negated by Yoshi's Island alone yeah.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

As an RPG fan who went from Genesis to N64 I was so starved for RPGs that I tried Beyond Oasis and Quest 64 and I really really wanted them to be good

I ended up just buying a used SNES and a bunch of its games at funcoland

Popy
Feb 19, 2008

Quest 64 ruled i refuse to hate it, but i also refuse to go back and play it im not dumb.

Blame Pyrrhus
May 6, 2003

Pillbug
Also, the GBA is still the superior portable gaming experience. When I flew all over the country for work (as in, flying between states 4 days a week every week for 2 years) I ended up playing through all of the great 1st party ports and various castlevanias for the first time in over a decade and the battery on that thing would last days of lengthy planerides.

Seriously that thing must've requires like 0 power to operate cause even the OG battery would last for days. How in the hell?

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY
The switch is bad. Nintendo is bad. All of you are bad

Blame Pyrrhus
May 6, 2003

Pillbug

smarxist posted:

I still have my nomad that a buddy of mine stole for me for my birthday when he worked at walmart.

180 seconds is generous.

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:

Mr Hootington posted:

/

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Mr Hootington posted:

I am having a wonderful time playing Zelda :)

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Blame Pyrrhus posted:

Also, the GBA is still the superior portable gaming experience. When I flew all over the country for work (as in, flying between states 4 days a week every week for 2 years) I ended up playing through all of the great 1st party ports and various castlevanias for the first time in over a decade and the battery on that thing would last days of lengthy planerides.

Seriously that thing must've requires like 0 power to operate cause even the OG battery would last for days. How in the hell?

One time my GBA battery ran out while I was saving my game in FFTA :negative:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Psycho Society
Oct 21, 2010
subnautica's on sale for switch, worth getting?