Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: harrygomm, Astryl)

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

unattended spaghetti posted:

The druid passive that makes periodic lightning strikes intentionally targets containers and breakable objects so as you're running around you get a boon and loot popping out of poo poo as you run by. It is probably not worth the skill point investment and it owns.
There’s eventually an aspect that causes the same effect only way more powerful and way more often. It triggers on crit and stacks infinitely so fighting a couple random mobs will queue up like 4 minutes of charged atmosphere that strikes for 5k damage every couple seconds. I had been using the passive because of the things you said, and just how cool it looked, and was excited to find the aspect version instead.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!

MajorBonnet posted:

The 3% global chance can't be modified, but some skills guarantee overpower. The necro blood skills have a lot of overpower options.

blood also has the extremely fun aspect that gives you crazy attack speed after an overpower

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Now, in the quantum moment before the closure, when all become one. One moment left. One point of space and time.

I know who you are. You are destiny.

I suspect the clan limits is a concessions to your regular joe who just joins whatever clan first pops up in the clan finder too, as smaller clans means a more manageable clan chat and a smaller audience for some weird unit who wants to use his clan as a captive audience for rants about the merits of a traditional household based on the values of Jordan Peterson and Ted Kaczynski.

unattended spaghetti
May 10, 2013

American McGay posted:

There’s eventually an aspect that causes the same effect only way more powerful and way more often. It triggers on crit and stacks infinitely so fighting a couple random mobs will queue up like 4 minutes of charged atmosphere that strikes for 5k damage every couple seconds. I had been using the passive because of the things you said, and just how cool it looked, and was excited to find the aspect version instead.

Drop only or in the codex? I need this.

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

DarkDobe posted:

pretty sure because you can never go over the 3% chance - but there are only certain skills that can proc it?
It's very conditional ( at least from what I've seen )

I tried to push overpower as far as I could take it on barbarian, there are only two ways to trigger a guaranteed overpower - Combat Bash, 4 crits with bash with a two hander, or Earthstriker's Aspect, swap weapons ten times to guarantee a 50/100% damage boosted overpower

Consequently the only way to do more overpowers in a given timespan was to take a) attack speed and b) crit, which I did

was it successful?

big shrug

https://streamable.com/pknecb

(honestly it's wound up being a deathblow build more than anything else, spamming endless deathblows at warp speed is extremely cathartic)

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
Drop only I think. This is what it’s called.

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Now, in the quantum moment before the closure, when all become one. One moment left. One point of space and time.

I know who you are. You are destiny.

I do think a barbie overpower build sounds fun, but I'm not sure there's enough ingredients to motivate me yet. Hopefully something I can aim for in S1.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!

victrix posted:

I tried to push overpower as far as I could take it on barbarian, there are only two ways to trigger a guaranteed overpower - Combat Bash, 4 crits with bash with a two hander, or Earthstriker's Aspect, swap weapons ten times to guarantee a 50/100% damage boosted overpower

Consequently the only way to do more overpowers in a given timespan was to take a) attack speed and b) crit, which I did

was it successful?

big shrug

https://streamable.com/pknecb

(honestly it's wound up being a deathblow build more than anything else, spamming endless deathblows at warp speed is extremely cathartic)

lol cool

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

Black Griffon posted:

I do think a barbie overpower build sounds fun, but I'm not sure there's enough ingredients to motivate me yet. Hopefully something I can aim for in S1.

I wouldn't recommend it until they patch Earthstriker's, it's bugged right now and sometimes just doesn't trigger, which extremely sucks rear end

Combat Bash requiring a 2h mace is a real kick in the teeth too because it fucks with the walking arsenal setup, or demands you run all 2H mace and skip earthstriker, which intuitively sounds like it should be correct for overpower (big smashy smashy right?)

but ime, the 2h build is fine, but the walking arsenal version using earthstrikers feels better, as you can use both combat bash and earthstrikers - though using dual wield on deathblow feels bad and wrong though, I want to deathblow with a gigantic loving hammer

I haven't sat down to crunch the numbers, they might be comparable, and there are other benefits to going one way or the other due to paragon board glyph availability and aspect requirements etc

it's been a fun jaunt though, upheaval with all the stun related stuff is extremely strong, and in lower tier content (like nightmares +5-15 instead of 20+ like in that clip I posted) it destroys and it's very fun to play

would it be better dumping all the overpower poo poo and just putting those points into raw damage aspects and paragon? probably, but this is S0, the time for loving with experimental builds, so I'm doing that instead of running 3-shouts-and-a-spender or whatever :v:

satanic splash-back
Jan 28, 2009

Temerity pants are a real game changer for rogue. Gives you a barrier that synergizes real well with the +healing per second per close enemy and +healing per second per momentum stack and close critical = life regen skill.

I don't think flurry vs twisting blades even matters when you're invincible while swinging, as long as you use the multiple unstoppable options

Martian Manfucker
Dec 27, 2012

misandry is real
Temerity is such a trap and I wouldn't ever dream of using them past level 60~ and even then, you've probably found a pair of sacred pants that more than doubles your EHP if you'd just use them. The pants slot is just way too valuable for survival to give up.

Wuxi
Apr 3, 2012

Yeah Temerity looks like a pure trap item to me.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!
i use temerity. its pog

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

a lot of uniques have that problem, weapons are especially bad because you're giving up potentially critical offensive aspects

that makes 'cool but not mechanically strong enough' unique weapons really :( because the effects are often cool as poo poo, but you're nerfing yourself by using them which feels really bad

(it's me, the sad barbarian who wanted to use the cool flaming upheaval mace)

(overkill however loving rocks and has some sick interactions I expect to see on a pogface video at some point in the next month if any content creator ever tests something not hota/ww)

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

Stux posted:

i use temerity. its pog
Combine it with life on hit/kill and you’re literally invincible lol.

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

We need the equivalent of the shrimp = small pastry avatar, but for ambulances and their mysteries now.

American McGay posted:

Does anyone know if the listed damage for this kind of aspects (both fixed/orange and scaling/blue) is multiplied the same way as your weapon damage does? Cause I always assumed these were useless like in D3, but if they go through the regular damage bucket multipliers they may be worth an extra cast of a core skill or so, depending on the aspect.

Hulk Krogan
Mar 25, 2005

Martian Manfucker posted:

Temerity is such a trap and I wouldn't ever dream of using them past level 60~ and even then, you've probably found a pair of sacred pants that more than doubles your EHP if you'd just use them. The pants slot is just way too valuable for survival to give up.

Yeah, I had been wanting one because I've seen people doing druid pulverize builds where you use the barrier to help protect your fortify+healthy status while leaning hard into overpower and +dmg while healthy. By the time I finally got one at like 82, I had pants with 4 defensive stats plus the aspect that gives you stacking bonus armor up to +50%. Doesn't seem like a worthwhile trade anymore.

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

We need the equivalent of the shrimp = small pastry avatar, but for ambulances and their mysteries now.
I guess if you stack big rolls on the other defensive slots you could get more EHP by using Temerity, but a spreadsheet would be necessary A) to see how much % damage reduction you can stack on helm/armor + paragon boards and B) to figure out at what point the tradeoff becomes effective.

E: protecting Fortify is relevant to the calculations though.

satanic splash-back
Jan 28, 2009

Rogues don't have barriers any other way so there is also the novelty of stacking barrier on a class that already gets resistances and dodge through skills and other aspects you can put on not-pants.

I'm sure it's a lot less interesting on a class that can give themselves barrier with a skill.

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

I'm just a total piece of shit and I'm not sure why I keep posting on this site. Christ, I have spent years with idiots giving me bad advice about online dating and haven't noticed that the thread I'm in selects for people that can't talk to people worth a damn.

bus hustler posted:

At level 52 it sucks to spend 20-30 minutes in a Helltide and have that time wasted, that's just really unfriendly design. Dying to an off screen one shot or a lag spike & losing 50% progress, knowing you don't have enough time to make it up? That sucks and is really discouraging. There shouldn't be a mechanic in a modern game where 20-30 minutes gets you nothing.

The current way it's set up encourages just leeching from other players in the event which is also just bad design. The optimal play should not be leeching other people's kills. You should be rewarded for actually getting out there and taking on (level appropriate) challenging content.

And since you cannot respawn in town & will respawn at a "checkpoint" with no minions or buffs, it's really easy to die twice and lose 75% progress.

what? do you lose cinders or something

soscannonballs
Dec 6, 2007

The problem with temerity is it wont help you at all in difficult content, but you don't really need it in easy content either. It fits in this weird spot where its good for players just breaking into the mid-game which would be farming in t4 but before you start doing nm dungeons above like 30

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

The thing about words is that meanings can twist just like a snake, and if you want to find snakes, look for them behind words that have changed their meaning.

Verviticus posted:

what? do you lose cinders or something

You lose.....half?....your cinders when you die.

It's the whole idea of helltides I thought, the risk and reward "do you keep going for more cinders or cash out now?" decision you're supposed to be making on an ongoing basis?

OctaMurk
Jun 21, 2013
just invite even one rando to party and the helltide gets a lot easier lol

if amything helltides should be harder imo

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

I'm just a total piece of shit and I'm not sure why I keep posting on this site. Christ, I have spent years with idiots giving me bad advice about online dating and haven't noticed that the thread I'm in selects for people that can't talk to people worth a damn.

Dallan Invictus posted:

You lose.....half?....your cinders when you die.

It's the whole idea of helltides I thought, the risk and reward "do you keep going for more cinders or cash out now?" decision you're supposed to be making on an ongoing basis?

lol i didnt even realize because im hc and i thought helltides were just supposed to be like, a little bit harder in exchange for more loot

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

To people struggling with the difficulty on Tier II:

- Sorcerer is basically EZ mode.

- Playing melee is much harder than playing ranged. You're going to have to scoot out of the way of bruiser monsters A LOT, and several bosses feel outright unfair.

- It's far more important to have multiple abilities than it has to have one or two 5/5'd

- Early on, the game feels much more skill-based, but when your build comes together stuff just dies or deals 0 damage.

YMMV

RaySmuckles
Oct 14, 2009

:vapes:
Grimey Drawer
The unique dagger that buffs attack speed up to 30% is pretty tight. I run that without ever feeling like I’m missing out on a weapon with different aspects

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Verviticus posted:

lol i didnt even realize because im hc and i thought helltides were just supposed to be like, a little bit harder in exchange for more loot

Me neither. If they progressively got more difficult that'd make sense.

junan_paalla
Dec 29, 2009

Seriously, do drugs
i hopped over to wt4 at around lvl 62 and everything kicks my rear end again, my damage is fine but everything is over 10 levels higher than me and elites often one shot me if all my cooldowns aren't up. helltides are surprisingly brutal and pretty fun. loot drops are worth picking up again, there's a lot more elites and the xp gain feels pretty nice. the whole game should have been like this, possibly minus the overleveled one-shotting enemies

Hulk Krogan
Mar 25, 2005

Tiny Timbs posted:

Me neither. If they progressively got more difficult that'd make sense.

I think they're always your level +1.

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

Anything I can do about this "Unable to find a valid license" error? I've been getting it since last night. I thought maybe it had to do with the DDoS stuff in the banner but my friends are able to log in no problem.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

For my Bone Spear build I switched my 2h sword for a 1h/shield to get another aspect and add survivability, and it mostly has but god drat the damage I'm dealing takes a huge hit. I'm not sure if the extra survivability is even worth it at this point because I'm killing stuff so much slower now that I usually have to dance around a bit to stay alive while generating essence anyway.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!

American McGay posted:

Combine it with life on hit/kill and you’re literally invincible lol.

i use it w high attack speed blood surge so im just constantly life leeching and then the barrier protects my hp so my overpower hits are bigger. and thats science.

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

please stop ddosing my favorite video game

LiterallyATomato
Mar 17, 2009

fadam posted:

Anything I can do about this "Unable to find a valid license" error? I've been getting it since last night. I thought maybe it had to do with the DDoS stuff in the banner but my friends are able to log in no problem.

I was good last night but now am getting the same error.

JackDarko
Sep 30, 2009

"Amala, I've got a chainsaw on my arm. I'll be fine."
I’m getting error 300008. Anyone else getting that?

ex post facho
Oct 25, 2007

American McGay posted:

I have this, Tempest Roar, Mad Wolf's Glee, Storm's Companion, and Staff of the Crone :evilbuddy:

Now to wait for Blizzard to make en masse paragon point resetting a thing :negative:

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

Are the chests that you can only open if you are flagged for PVP any good?

satanic splash-back
Jan 28, 2009

Bold Robot posted:

Are the chests that you can only open if you are flagged for PVP any good?

Thousands of the pvp currency depending on world tier and you get marked anyway while trying to extract if you start the ritual

soscannonballs
Dec 6, 2007

explosivo posted:

For my Bone Spear build I switched my 2h sword for a 1h/shield to get another aspect and add survivability, and it mostly has but god drat the damage I'm dealing takes a huge hit. I'm not sure if the extra survivability is even worth it at this point because I'm killing stuff so much slower now that I usually have to dance around a bit to stay alive while generating essence anyway.

If you aren't doing high level nm dungeons you should not swap from a 2h for more toughness. There is definitely something else you can do to beef up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

soscannonballs posted:

If you aren't doing high level nm dungeons you should not swap from a 2h for more toughness. There is definitely something else you can do to beef up.

Is 40-50 high enough? Because that's about where I'm at now. I probably will go back to the 2 hander once I find a better one either way though the damage is just nowhere near the same anymore.