Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?

Cerekk posted:

Having a "cocktail hour" on the schedule and then not having alcohol at it is deliberately deceitful.

Do you expect to get drunk every time you put on a cocktail dress?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Clocks
Oct 2, 2007

I think it's assholish to have a dry wedding and surprise people with that fact. If it had been made clear in advance then the couple would not have been TA.

Whether OP may or may not be an alcoholic is irrelevant imo. I'd be miffed too if I spent, say, an extra $200 that I didn't have to, for a nice hotel room + uber or whatever.

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

The mist that chills you keeps me warm.

Pope Corky the IX posted:

Yes

I've never worn a cocktail dress, though.

dervival
Apr 23, 2014

Yes, but only if I'm on the rocks as well.

B-Rock452
Jan 6, 2005
:justflu:
The only dry wedding I have ever been to was a super awkward christian one. The ceremony included the phrase "marriage is a room and the only exit is death."

The main thing I remember though is I had just had an ostomy reversed and I started farting halfway through the ceremony and it was the first time in 7 months I had farted and I almost cried with joy

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

B-Rock452 posted:

The only dry wedding I have ever been to was a super awkward christian one. The ceremony included the phrase "marriage is a room and the only exit is death."

Had a similar thing happen at my fundie cousin's wedding. The dry wedding part was a surprise, too. If I'm going to sit through two hours of your nutjob theology you could at least pay for me to get drunk afterward.

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

Cerekk posted:

Having a "cocktail hour" on the schedule and then not having alcohol at it is deliberately deceitful.

lol you made me go back and read the post and indeed there was a "cocktail hour." they also said they served "soda and water" which made me imagine an entire wedding party toasting the bride with champagne flutes full of pepsi and orange crush

B-Rock452
Jan 6, 2005

Defiance Industries posted:

Had a similar thing happen at my fundie cousin's wedding. The dry wedding part was a surprise, too. If I'm going to sit through two hours of your nutjob theology you could at least pay for me to get drunk afterward.

Luckily I was with a bunch of dirtbag climbers so we got wasted in the parking lot. I really don't endorse that generally but holy poo poo the ceremony was so bad. Just nonstop fundie wedding poo poo

StrangersInTheNight
Dec 31, 2007
ABSOLUTE FUCKING GUDGEON

Post poste posted:

I think pre-planning being drunk enough that you can't drive is a bit of a problem, or is that just a normal drinking thing now?

That's literally how adults drinking plan to drink bc after one you should've driving. If you're drinking as an adult and it's a place you drove to, you either get a DD or you find a way to stay until you're sober. OR you stay sober. But to me there's....no scenario where you drink more than one drink and then drive.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Deformed Church posted:

She's changed her sound a lot, her final greatest hits tour in 2050 might have a bunch of dubstep.
Ah, the Retro Tour.

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

Why walk when you can ride?

Where are you going in a cocktail dress that's not going to have at least wine on offer? I'm legitimately trying to think of a situation.

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

Guildenstern Mother posted:

Where are you going in a cocktail dress that's not going to have at least wine on offer? I'm legitimately trying to think of a situation.

Everyone knows you can't get drunk on wine.

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

Maybe cocktail hour was shrimp cocktail

or cocktail weiners

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

greazeball posted:

Maybe cocktail hour was shrimp cocktail

or cocktail weiners

Maybe the real cocktail hour was the shrimp we ate along the way.

titty_baby_
Nov 11, 2015

Batterypowered7 posted:

Everyone knows you can't get drunk on wine.

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?

B-Rock452 posted:

The main thing I remember though is I had just had an ostomy reversed and I started farting halfway through the ceremony and it was the first time in 7 months I had farted and I almost cried with joy

Have you posted about this before in this or another thread because I swear to god I have read a story about someone crying at a wedding because they finally farted on SA before and I wanna read it again now

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
Crying and farting is practically a subforum.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
AITA for putting my daughters dolls in storage?

quote:

My daughter 14 collects porcelain dolls, they are creepy. I don’t understand it but they make her happy, I have a two younger kids 12 and 9. They hate these dolls but she is told to keep them in her room mostly and not leave them in the common areas. It’s summer and all the kids are home

She thinks it is fun to leave the dolls around and scare her siblings. When we were on a date night she showed them Annabelle so now the two younger ones are even more scared of dolls. She is moving them around the house, hiding them them in areas and more. We have talked with her and grounded her before. She hide the doll in the shower and 12 year old lost it and through it, cracking the doll. We dealt with that situation and she stopped doing it for a bit.

Today my youngest had soccer practice and she hide the doll in her sport bag, well she saw it and started crying. I got her to calm down and she didn’t do practice today. We have talked about it so many times and she can’t torment her siblings. So I took them and they are in our storage unit and she is not getting them back for a while. She was crying the whole time I had her pack them up and my wife thinks I am going to far and I’m a jerk but she can’t torment her siblings.

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

creepy doll girl is way cooler than everyone else in her family

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
I hate horror movies and got spooked so easily as a kid. I'm on dad's side here.

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Having creepy dolls is fine. Tormenting other people with them is not fine. Dad's in the clear. :colbert:

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

Batterypowered7 posted:

Everyone knows you can't get drunk on wine champagne.

Post poste
Mar 29, 2010
Thanks all for the update!

I'm not from a strong drinking culture, and none of my friends drink at all, so I was unaware of the customs of drinking.

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

When me and my brothers were kids, we made a sort of dummy out of walking sticks and clothes that sat in a chair in the darkest corner of the top landing. My older brother made a paper face with dead black eyes and an impossibly wide smile.

When she was assembled "Chairy McLary" was legit so terrifying, we all ran into one bedroom and started shouting for help.
A minute or so later, we heard our mum come running up the stairs yelling at us to stop making so much noise.
She got halfway up the second flight, shrieked "Jesus Christ!" and ran away back downstairs.

Sometimes, the scary is so bad it even scares the scarers.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

StrangersInTheNight posted:

That's literally how adults drinking plan to drink bc after one you should've driving.

You should’ve posting either.

B-Rock452
Jan 6, 2005

Kitfox88 posted:

Have you posted about this before in this or another thread because I swear to god I have read a story about someone crying at a wedding because they finally farted on SA before and I wanna read it again now

It was definitely me. The long story is I spent a year having serious complications due to Crohn's and ended up having emergency surgery that resulted in a foot of intestines being removed. Had an ostomy from October 2004 to June 2005, scheduled the surgery for like a week before the wedding because I wanted to hang out with the other climbing guides I worked with there. Pretty much left the hospital and drove back to where the wedding was and literally halfway through the wedding I started farting for the first time since October. Not sure why but farting again felt like it meant I was finally turning a corner with everything and I got really choked up.

B-Rock452 fucked around with this message at 19:48 on Jun 25, 2023

420 Gank Mid
Dec 26, 2008

WARNING: This poster is a huge bitch!

ApplesandOranges posted:

I hate horror movies and got spooked so easily as a kid. I'm on dad's side here.

100% if it was just something annoying the parents it'd be an overreaction but tormenting your younger siblings after repeatedly being told to stop demands escalation

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Lager beer is proof that god loves us
Pillbug

B-Rock452 posted:

It was definitely me. The long story is I spent a year having serious complications due to Crohn's and ended up having emergency surgery that resulted in a foot of intestines being removed. Had an ostomy from October 2004 to June 2005, scheduled the surgery for like a week before the wedding because I wanted to hang out with the other climbing guides I worked with there. Pretty much left the hospital and drove back to where the wedding was and literally halfway through the wedding I started farting for the first time since October. Not sure why but farting again felt like it meant I was finally turning a corner with everything and I got really choked up.

Apparently farting is how you know your digestive system is working as intended after surgery. Although I had a doctor tell me that my appendix was fine since I could fart, but it was very much not fine and I almost died.

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

Leaving porcelain dolls, of all things, around younger siblings, seems like maybe not the most well thought out plan.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

AITA for breaking my lease due to my roommates obsession with ferrets?

quote:

I (24M) just moved to a new city with a roommate (27M) I met online. We had spoken for months before this and seemed to have a lot in common. He told me ahead of time that he had a ferret named Lucky. He sent me a lot of videos and pictures and overall she seemed like a cute pet. I’ve heard bad things about ferrets, but I ignored them because my roommate seemed cool and Lucky was adorable. In person, she was even cuter so I didn’t think much about it.

A few weeks into living with him I noticed that Lucky was bipolar. Not literally, but it seemed like sometimes she was playful and nice while others she was more aggressive. Again I chose to ignore this because I knew very little about ferrets so it’s possible that they were just like that. But as I got to know Lucky I realized something. She was almost certainly two different ferrets. When Lucky was nice she looked slightly different than when she was mean. This revelation hit me like an anvil so I immediately confronted my roommate about it. He confessed that he actually had two ferrets (Lucky and Domino) and that he thought I wouldn’t agree to room with him if I knew. I was a little peeved but forgave him for lying and didn’t make a big deal out of it. However, I remained suspicious which led to the next revelation.

Part of me thought that my roommate was still lying so I did a little investigating. For context, we rent a house and he lives upstairs while I live in the basement. I couldn’t (and generally wouldn’t) snoop in his room mostly because he locked his door. I originally thought this was totally acceptable but by then I thought it was suspicious. What really tipped me off was that the Instagram profile where we mostly talked only had pictures of Lucky, which is why I didn’t think he had two ferrets. I dug around looking for alternate pages but couldn’t find any. Then I remembered him deliberately asking if I used TikTok (I didn’t) and checked there. And, my god. This man had a TikTok account where he showed off his TEN ferrets. TEN weasels that had been living under my roof for months at that point.

I confronted him again and this time he was much more defensive. He was mad that I didn’t believe him the first time even though he was still lying. I told him that if he had just told me about the ferrets right away, I may have been ok with it (probably not, but maybe). But now that I couldn’t trust him, I couldn’t live with him. I called the land lord and broke my lease. I’m staying on a friend’s couch for now but my roommate keeps blowing up my phone, cussing me out. He thinks I’m in the wrong but idk how I possibly could be. So am I the rear end in a top hat for breaking my lease over my roommate’s ferret obsession?

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
But was Lucky the nice one or not?

B-Rock452
Jan 6, 2005

Ensign Expendable posted:

Apparently farting is how you know your digestive system is working as intended after surgery. Although I had a doctor tell me that my appendix was fine since I could fart, but it was very much not fine and I almost died.

I am sure I was farting in the hospital before getting discharged but I had also had a serious reaction to some pain med during my first surgery so I was pumped up on so much stuff I legit don't remember anything from the hospital stay

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

ApplesandOranges posted:

But was Lucky the nice one or not?

Lucky was actually ten ferrets in a trenchcoat.

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Can you spare a little cheddar?
Nap Ghost
I can easily attend a wedding without alcohol. That's why we have weed edibles.

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

B-Rock452 posted:

Heartwarming tale, glad you're tooting good still hopefully :unsmith:

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

The more you kick against the pricks, the more you suffer.

StrangersInTheNight posted:

But to me there's....no scenario where you drink more than one drink and then drive.

This is also my never fail adult life rule for drinking and it's never steered me wrong. It's a rock solid decision point where you can make alternative plans before you're too far gone.

Also, I don't think this necessarily applies to the OP, but as a kid haver I have very few opportunities to socialize. If I'm getting a babysitter I'm going to want to drink.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Kitfox88 posted:

Having creepy dolls is fine. Tormenting other people with them is not fine. Dad's in the clear. :colbert:

Pulling a prank on the siblings once or twice is one thing, constantly doing it all the loving time forever is a whole different kettle of fish. You'd think she'd figure that one of her dolls being biffed and broken would lead her to knocking it off, yet here we are.

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

👁️🔥👁️👁️👁️BE NOT👄AFRAID👁️👁️👁️🔥👁️

420 Gank Mid posted:

100% if it was just something annoying the parents it'd be an overreaction but tormenting your younger siblings after repeatedly being told to stop demands escalation
Yeah, it's not like they're getting rid of the dolls, 14 year old has just lost access to her doll collection for a bit until she can be responsible with them.

idiotsavant
Jun 4, 2000

Arsenic Lupin posted:

AITA for giving away my wife's espresso machine and grinder without her permission?

Also going back to this but if she was a full coffee nerd theres a very decent chance her machine & grinder together were worth anywhere between $1500-5000

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Clocks
Oct 2, 2007

The dolls thing is kind of funny as a bystander in like a "oh haha it's like horror movies, creepy dolls lol!" way but it's also traumatizing/making the young kids uncomfortable which is really a form of bullying. If she was breaking their stuff or taking their snacks or pushing them around it'd be kinda obvious that she'd need to knock it off.