Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

Sarah Cenia posted:

I have an abu garcia promax 2(?) baitcaster that I like a lot. It took some frustrating practice to get the hang of but it's my good reel. maybe I'll spool it with the 6lb I put in the zebco lol
It has 20lb line from pier fishing on it now and runs out a little too easily.

I bought a black max a few years ago on thread rec, having never used a baitcaster, and it was a great reel to learn on and dead reliable.

I keep thinking I’ll ask for a badass shimano for Christmas or something but I just like this one so much.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Southern Cassowary
Jan 3, 2023

there's a local shop that stocks shimano and daiwa and i've been wanting to handle/palm a tatula and a curado to compare to the slx for whenever i finally bite on getting a flippin and frog rod.

Jake Gittes
Jul 11, 2006

me irl
I'll handle and palm ur tatula

Charliegrs
Aug 10, 2009
Took my knockoff GoPro to a local river to get some underwater footage a few days ago. I was dropping it in various spots but one spot apparently had a pipe that was sucking water to a drainage and it sucked my GoPro up with so much force it drat near broke the fishing rod I had it attached to. Needless to say I lost the GoPro. Thankfully I was only out about $80 instead of the $300-400 that a real GoPro goes for.

So I got another and tried again and dropped it into an area that is an old (like 1700s/1800) canal lock system. Apparently there's tons of fish living down there. Check it out:
https://youtu.be/MEou1I24b94
https://youtu.be/6ekPgGEe4f4

Southern Cassowary
Jan 3, 2023

Jake Gittes posted:

I'll handle and palm ur tatula

lol

there's been three very small largemouth bass, maybe eight or nine inches, hanging probably 10 feet off the end of the bank where i put in the kayak. you can see them move around down there and they've been a regular fixture at sunrise and sunset. too small to eat a senko but they'll chase and nibble at it curiously.

i remembered today i got some ned rig tackle several years ago and never really used it so i put a ned worm on one of my extra spinning rods and tossed it out there tonight and got one of them on the first cast.

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

Charliegrs posted:

So I got another and tried again and dropped it into an area that is an old (like 1700s/1800) canal lock system. Apparently there's tons of fish living down there. Check it out:

Whoa this is super cool, thanks for sharing!

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!
Went out for bass opener here in Ontario zone whatever the gently caress (16 I think) today.
Just took a trip up the creek where I keep the boat docked and didn't get gently caress poo poo.

Guy from work says he used to get small mouth around where I went, but I'm awful at fishing. Also it rained yesterday so the water was pretty murky, and I went out at like 11am too. Would have gone earlier, but :effort:

Did get some time on the trolling motor foot pedal though. Thus far I've used the remote, and the fish finder on the console to control it, but never the foot pedal until today. It was probably useful experience as there were a few other boaters in the creek, SUPers, canoes and kayaks. I managed to stay out of everyone's way which was good.

Will try again another time.

Charliegrs
Aug 10, 2009

LeeMajors posted:

Whoa this is super cool, thanks for sharing!

Thanks! I can't wait to bring it to the beach and toss it into the waves. Hopefully I can get some fluke, bluefish, or striped bass action on camera.

SeaGoatSupreme
Dec 26, 2009
Ask me about fixed-gear bikes (aka "fixies")

Sarah Cenia posted:

oh, cool. i used to live around pembroke and tried fishing lake smith a few times, but only ever caught a baby bass. I don't know how people catch stuff from the shore there. Always meant to check out stumpy lake tho

I got a zebco micro 33 combo and a 33 combo for the wife. Took em out for an hour last night, caught nothing yet with em but these rods own

I forgot how much I like spincasters. Kinda wanna get the zebco bullet lol

Shore fishing lake Smith is awful, I believe you when you say you got skunked outside of a baby bass. The only good shore fishing at stumpy is off the causeway on the left hand side halfway down. It's on the backside with no boat access and it gets 12-14ft deep in the center channel. Pretty easy to pull in decent sized fish as long as you are persistent with what you throw. I've managed to get catfish off of baby spinners there, even. If you've got the time and are still close enough, run on down with the micro rod and some active baits. You'll catch something, even if it's not what you want to catch.

I've somehow lucked into three free kayaks though so I will soon not be on the shore. I am excited.

T-Square
May 14, 2009

SeaGoatSupreme posted:

I've somehow lucked into three free kayaks though so I will soon not be on the shore. I am excited.

Ours were most definitely not free, but I picked mine up on Sunday and my GF’s will be here tomorrow and we are very excited. She even got her fishing license the other day of her own volition because she wants to come yak fishing with me :3:

Southern Cassowary
Jan 3, 2023

T-Square posted:

Ours were most definitely not free, but I picked mine up on Sunday and my GF’s will be here tomorrow and we are very excited. She even got her fishing license the other day of her own volition because she wants to come yak fishing with me :3:

what'd you end up getting?

Hooplah
Jul 15, 2006

yak fishing on the river in particular is so much better than being stuck on the bank. I spend a LOT of time when bank fishing just retying after hitting snags. almost never lose gear in the yak, so i spend a significantly higher percentage of the time with my line in the water. love it.

Charliegrs
Aug 10, 2009
I want to yak fish but there's a lot of water moccasins in my area 😬

Southern Cassowary
Jan 3, 2023

Charliegrs posted:

i just make friends with the local alligators

COOKIE DELIGHT
Jun 24, 2006
I guess you could say..I was born naturally influent.

Charliegrs posted:

I joined a local snake identification group and, it took a while, but it helped me stay calm when a snake is hauling rear end straight for your kayak. Your mileage may very.

Honestly the biggest problem for me solo yak fishing is going at night and having huge, ornery beavers sneak up on you while you're taking a sip of beer. Not sure their level of intellect but I seem to have become a target.

titties
May 10, 2012

They're like two suicide notes stuffed into a glitter bra

SeaGoatSupreme posted:

My dad had 2 two-seat and 2 single sit-ins. He developed a frozen shoulder which he wouldn't go to the doctor for, decided he was never kayaking again, and gave all 4 of them away for free to one of the old rummies that are always orbiting around him. The old rummy has never used them.

Really disappointed that he didn't hold one back for me, if i had a cheap little SINK i would use it every week from April to October.

E: grats on your kayaks, great score my friend. If it seemed like i was begrudging you your windfall i promise you i wasn't

E2: i gave dad my mustang survival pfd jacket so he could go kayaking in the fall. He decided he didn't want it and gave it away. I would rather have had it back then see it go to some rando since they cost a lot and i could have used it for ice fishing or boating. Fishing thread, is my dad inconsiderate or am i just uncharitable?

titties fucked around with this message at 20:51 on Jun 27, 2023

T-Square
May 14, 2009

Southern Cassowary posted:

what'd you end up getting?

I bought me a barely used Lifetime Teton 100 Angler even though they’re on sale right now, because the only ones in stock anywhere are the boring blue or grey/white ones. I found a cool Lemongrass one with a CF paddle and a PFD.

We ordered the GF a new one, she’ll be getting a Vibe Yellowfin 100 in tomorrow, and I’m honestly pretty jealous. Got the last one in stock anywhere for her and it looks like it’s gonna be a pretty bitchin yak.

Southern Cassowary
Jan 3, 2023

T-Square posted:

I bought me a barely used Lifetime Teton 100 Angler even though they’re on sale right now, because the only ones in stock anywhere are the boring blue or grey/white ones. I found a cool Lemongrass one with a CF paddle and a PFD.

We ordered the GF a new one, she’ll be getting a Vibe Yellowfin 100 in tomorrow, and I’m honestly pretty jealous. Got the last one in stock anywhere for her and it looks like it’s gonna be a pretty bitchin yak.

we've got a lifetime recreational kayak here and it's absolutely a great little boat. now you've gotta complete your fishing kayak rite of passage and find a milk crate for the back.

Charliegrs
Aug 10, 2009

COOKIE DELIGHT posted:

I joined a local snake identification group and, it took a while, but it helped me stay calm when a snake is hauling rear end straight for your kayak. Your mileage may very.

Honestly the biggest problem for me solo yak fishing is going at night and having huge, ornery beavers sneak up on you while you're taking a sip of beer. Not sure their level of intellect but I seem to have become a target.

In my area there are only 2 kinds of snakes that swim. Northern water snakes, which are harmless and cool as hell and Water Moccasins which are definitely not harmless. Unfortunately they look really similar unless you can get a good look at the head which is closer than I want to be.

I probably shouldn't worry about it. The chances of anything actually happening with a water moccasin are low most likely. But it seems like they have a habit of swimming towards kayaks from videos I've seen.

COOKIE DELIGHT
Jun 24, 2006
I guess you could say..I was born naturally influent.
Ah yeah, that's pretty similar to here so I totally understand. I think the daily exposure to snake pictures and videos helped me be less afraid, but I still keep my head on a swivel, or check tree limbs for rat snakes when I need to pass under.

I've nearly flipped my kayak a handful of times because the beavers will get pissy and slap their tail right next to me. Makes a very startling sound.

I had an incredibly fat raccoon intimidate me into dropping a smallmouth bass that I had just caught while bank fishing. Heard a noise and the loving thing was about 6 feet away charging at me. The fish was still hooked and I had to chase it down and grab my pole. I tried all kinds of yelling and noise making but it wouldn't give the fish back until I hissed at it. What a wild ride it must have been for that bass.

Same river - I was on the bank and heard an incredible hiss/roar/scream that gave me chills on my arms, legs and back of my head. I was halfway to the car before realizing I had even grabbed my poo poo and took off running. I checked online for noises that a fox, raccoon or bobcat might make but none of it explained the primal fear response it invoked.

Unfortunately I've got quite a few more stories of night fishing hijinks. I can laugh about it afterwards, and hopefully my cowardice is worth a laugh for someone else.

Charliegrs
Aug 10, 2009

COOKIE DELIGHT posted:

Same river - I was on the bank and heard an incredible hiss/roar/scream that gave me chills on my arms, legs and back of my head. I was halfway to the car before realizing I had even grabbed my poo poo and took off running. I checked online for noises that a fox, raccoon or bobcat might make but none of it explained the primal fear response it invoked.

Believe it or not, it might have been a rabbit. Apparently they can make some bloodcurdling screams.

Ghostnuke
Sep 21, 2005

Throw this in a pot, add some broth, a potato? Baby you got a stew going!

COOKIE DELIGHT posted:

Ah yeah, that's pretty similar to here so I totally understand. I think the daily exposure to snake pictures and videos helped me be less afraid, but I still keep my head on a swivel, or check tree limbs for rat snakes when I need to pass under.

I've nearly flipped my kayak a handful of times because the beavers will get pissy and slap their tail right next to me. Makes a very startling sound.

I had an incredibly fat raccoon intimidate me into dropping a smallmouth bass that I had just caught while bank fishing. Heard a noise and the loving thing was about 6 feet away charging at me. The fish was still hooked and I had to chase it down and grab my pole. I tried all kinds of yelling and noise making but it wouldn't give the fish back until I hissed at it. What a wild ride it must have been for that bass.

Unfortunately I've got quite a few more stories of night fishing hijinks. I can laugh about it afterwards, and hopefully my cowardice is worth a laugh for someone else.

lol maybe go camping or something to get used to nature sounds, and then fish

SeaGoatSupreme
Dec 26, 2009

titties posted:

My dad had 2 two-seat and 2 single sit-ins. He developed a frozen shoulder which he wouldn't go to the doctor for, decided he was never kayaking again, and gave all 4 of them away for free to one of the old rummies that are always orbiting around him. The old rummy has never used them.

Really disappointed that he didn't hold one back for me, if i had a cheap little SINK i would use it every week from April to October.

E: grats on your kayaks, great score my friend. If it seemed like i was begrudging you your windfall i promise you i wasn't

E2: i gave dad my mustang survival pfd jacket so he could go kayaking in the fall. He decided he didn't want it and gave it away. I would rather have had it back then see it go to some rando since they cost a lot and i could have used it for ice fishing or boating. Fishing thread, is my dad inconsiderate or am i just uncharitable?

Your dad seems highly inconsiderate to me, like if it's time to get rid of something because you can't use it, it is always best to talk to the gift giver and see if they want it back. Have you tried talking to the old friend and asking for a kayak?

If that doesn't work, and you still live near Vb/Norfolk I'd be more than happy to let you borrow a yak any time you want to blow up a river. This offer applies to all local goons, I have 3 yaks but only 2 feet, ya know?

titties
May 10, 2012

They're like two suicide notes stuffed into a glitter bra

No, most of dad's friends are boomer day-drunk election deniers so i don't talk to them and would never dream of asking them (or anyone) to give me a whole kayak.

I really appreciate the offer to use one of your boats but i haven't lived in Hampton roads for almost 20 years now. Still very kind of you to offer.

E: it's not about the kayak, it's just that when / if i can't go fishing any more i might give some gear to my fishing buddies but i will definitely set aside my favorite gear and give first choice to my kids, you know?

titties fucked around with this message at 17:18 on Jun 28, 2023

Charliegrs
Aug 10, 2009
Anyone ever get a Airbnb that's right on a lake? I've been thinking about doing that for a while now. I just want to throw some bait out, listen to a podcast, and get drunk.

T-Square
May 14, 2009

Charliegrs posted:

Anyone ever get a Airbnb that's right on a lake? I've been thinking about doing that for a while now. I just want to throw some bait out, listen to a podcast, and get drunk.

Not ever before, but we are renting a place right on the Wisconsin River for a friend’s birthday next weekend and I am extremely looking forward to doing just that!

Desert Bus
May 9, 2004

Take 1 tablet by mouth daily.

Charliegrs posted:

Believe it or not, it might have been a rabbit. Apparently they can make some bloodcurdling screams.

A dying rabbit sounds a lot like an infant/toddler who can barely talk being slowly tortured and is the LAST thing you want to hear when you've got a head fulla acid and go outside at 2am to smoke and ponder the universe.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S83hCpKBgeQ

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4NP3Jc4gleg

Nightmare fuel. Close enough to human to hit your brain just right even sober lol

Desert Bus fucked around with this message at 21:28 on Jun 28, 2023

T-Square
May 14, 2009

Girlfriend’s Vibe Yellowfin that came with a hefty $190 oversized shipping fee showed up with two decent sized scratches, since they shipped only it in a layer of thin bubble wrap and plastic. Purely cosmetic and can probably clean it up well enough, but paying almost $200 for the pleasure of my goods arriving damaged wasn’t gonna fly.

Dick’s is refunding me the full $190 shipping fee and it wasn’t any hassle for me at all, so looks like I’m putting that towards a new Yakima crossbar and tower system for my car so we can both transport them! :toot:

We’re taking them on their maiden voyages tomorrow evening, there’s a pretty big state park about 45 minutes north with about a dozen different lakes and kettles full of bluegill, crappie, largemouth, pike, and walleye in one or two of them. Four of them don’t allow motorized boats/are paddle only, so we’re definitely gonna check those out to start.

Easychair Bootson
May 7, 2004

Where's the last guy?
Ultimo hombre.
Last man standing.
Must've been one.
I'm headed to the Florida panhandle (Pensacola/Navarre) the week after next for a little beach time and was thinking about trying some surf casting, which I have never done. What kind of tackle (incl. rod and reel) would I need? I assume multi-piece rods are common?

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Super low tide this morning. Tossed my traps and got three big guys and managed to catch 5 more picking the shallows by hand. Sorted through them and got a nice limit.

Good start to the year!

Charliegrs
Aug 10, 2009

Easychair Bootson posted:

I'm headed to the Florida panhandle (Pensacola/Navarre) the week after next for a little beach time and was thinking about trying some surf casting, which I have never done. What kind of tackle (incl. rod and reel) would I need? I assume multi-piece rods are common?

You dont *need* any special rod for surf fishing. I've been doing it for years with a spinning rod I use for bass fishing in freshwater with 10 pound mono. It works perfectly well for fish like fluke. I do have a heavier saltwater spinning rod I use throwing heavier lures for bluefish but it's still not super heavy I have 15 pound line on it. I think the biggest limiting factor is how heavy the sinker or lures you'll be using are.

JRay88
Jan 4, 2013

Easychair Bootson posted:

10-12’ medium-heavy to heavy rod with a 3000 size reel. I run 20 or 30# braid on mine. You don’t need anything stronger than that unless you’re targeting sharks. The long rod helps you get the bait out past the breakers so you don’t have to use tons of lead weight. Pompano rigs with fresh sandfleas** will be your best bet. If you can’t find sandfleas, then Fishbites strips or frozen shrimp. I also like to carry a 7’ rod with a 3000 size reel for throwing xraps and spoons. If you see a bunch of fish blowing up the surf throw that. I catch plenty of Spanish and occasionally a redfish from the beach.

Check the regs at Navarre, last time I was there they had some beaches off limits to fishing. Also check online, sargassum gets kind of bad all along the gulf coast this time of year. If there’s too much sargassum there are plenty of inshore spots to fish.

*You can get a sandflea take online or at Walmart pretty cheap. My kids have fun catching the sandfleas, and using the rake to find seashells.

Easychair Bootson
May 7, 2004

Where's the last guy?
Ultimo hombre.
Last man standing.
Must've been one.
Excellent- thanks for the nudge in the right direction! I'll be sure to check regs.

SeaGoatSupreme
Dec 26, 2009
A buddy and I took the ten foot and twelve foot fishing kayaks out today. After not going for a decade, kayaking is kind of hard. drat my arms hurt but I had a good time and caught a truckload of perch on a red and white crappie setup.

10/10 would go again

Southern Cassowary
Jan 3, 2023

casted off the bank this morning to test my rods before going out in the kayak and i got a bite but didn't hook up three times - once with the baitcaster/speed worm and twice with the spinning rod/senko

wondering what's wrong with me and my inability to set a hook until i see a little spotted gar, maybe a foot long, meander up to the shoreline. guess he couldn't get the worms in his mouth.

Charliegrs
Aug 10, 2009

casted off the bank this morning to test my rods before going out in the kayak and i got a bite but didn't hook up three times - once with the baitcaster/speed worm and twice with the spinning rod/senko

wondering what's wrong with me and my inability to set a hook until i see a little spotted gar, maybe a foot long, meander up to the shoreline. guess he couldn't get the worms in his mouth.

There are no gar in my area but I've heard they have incredibly hard mouths and it's hard to get a good hookset on them. I could be wrong though.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

Gar are so incredibly bad at eating it’s wild they survive at all. That are maybe the dumbest fish in fresh water.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Picked up a 11’ two piece ugly stick at Walmart for $40.
Just need to get a good reel now to toss 2 ounce lures a county mile.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!
Lots of people use pieces of rope to get gar as their teeth get tangled up in the rope fibres.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

wesleywillis posted:

Lots of people use pieces of rope to get gar as their teeth get tangled up in the rope fibres.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NLFdDYG79lc&t=719s

Richard Gene is also a national treasure in general.