Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What is the most powerful flying bug?
This poll is closed.
🦋 15 3.71%
🦇 115 28.47%
🪰 12 2.97%
🐦 67 16.58%
dragonfly 94 23.27%
🦟 14 3.47%
🐝 87 21.53%
Total: 404 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
just a few more humiliations and ukraine will get the ticking warscore bonus and then they can force a peace deal. absolutely incredible strategy on display here

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tazjin
Jul 24, 2015

the belarusian drum&bass track that's been haunting me for like a month prepared me well for the idea of batka saving the day

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:

speng31b
May 8, 2010

Regarde Aduck posted:

compared to the other threads that was nothing. It was an empty tank exploding in the distance and we have no way of knowing if anyone was killed other than the shockwave was pretty big

dudes in the other threads are watching people get executed in trenches

it's not about other threads it's about what regular posters itt have been saying. the feedback is coming from inside the thread. anyways if people posted some of the poo poo they do in "other threads" here it would be received poorly to say the least

OctaMurk
Jun 21, 2013

Ardennes posted:

Yeah, it’s an entire oblast and a Manpad isn’t going to hit that high and I don’t think I saw them setting up an entire SAM system.

how do u think it got shot down

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

Sheng-Ji Yang posted:

there are plenty of videos and reports showing the size of the convoy heading toward moscow, etc. prig kept on saying 25k but all the reports seemed to estimate about 5k each in the two forces. if it was just several hundred men Putin would not have bothered negotiating.

You realize how loving stupid that sounds right? We've got a bunch of videos from social media with no way to really tell how many of them could be repeated sightings, or using old footage to say its happening. The whole Ukriane war has been an abject lesson in how useless OSINT is for anytbing thats not propaganda. Even 5k guys seems a bit much, like he just able.to get 1/5 of Wagner to just roll into Rostov to to get some Mcgriddles and the only actions between the Ukrianian border and Rostov was one helicopter getting shot down?

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Fats Dominar is on the case

it only took, what, like 1500 ISIS guys to capture Mosul? a city of more than a million people at the time, with 60,000 nominal defenders. turns out when one side really doesn’t want to fight it doesn’t matter how big the other side is.

the MOD could very likely have slaughtered the Prigozhin Pals on the way up but doing so would have been much more costly than negotiating them down. it’s sort of irrevocable. they showed pretty admirable restraint all things considered.

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

Raskolnikov38 posted:

yes how foolish of Russia to not… carpet bomb a civilian highway filled with civilians

Thats the difference between incompetent authoritarian Russian military leadership, and freedom loving American generals

Cuttlefush
Jan 15, 2014

gotta have my purp

OctaMurk posted:

it just did tabht

Megamissen
Jul 19, 2022

any post can be a kannapost
if you want it to be

went grocery shopping today and the tabloid headlines where all like UPRISING IN RUSSIA and EXPERT: THIS IS HOW THE CIVIL WAR STARTS lol

96 spacejam
Dec 4, 2009

Wonder what this event will have on the growth of PMCs globally. Last time a PMC was on an MSM rotation was back in the early 2000s with Blackwater taking pop shots at civilians from their hummer as they pinned it through the streets of Afghanistan. Suprise though, that becomes such a PR crisis that you'll end up changing your business name 3, maybe even 4 times since said event.

This is the first time in my 36 years we're getting coverage of actual mercenary groups that isn't due to a war crime committed. This morning I've been able to find at least 7 notable PMCs operating openly in this conflict. Does anyone have a list or know where I can find a proper database that documents active PMCs in general across the globe?

With no external threat to our livelihood they're is going to be a recruitment surge from the West. So.. neat.

96 spacejam has issued a correction as of 23:46 on Jun 25, 2023

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

insane clown pussy posted:

they're making fun of american operator culture there

You can't "ironically" enjoy a thing. Once you're wearing the gear, the Oakleys, and the operator beard it's not a joke anymore. It's closer to the way that the US Military names stuff after native Americans.

BearsBearsBears
Aug 4, 2022

96 spacejam posted:

This morning I've been able to find at least 7 notable PMCs operating openly in this conflict.

Could you share your list

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

OctaMurk posted:

Considering its location, it could have been anything from an accident, unrelated friendly fire, or something else entirely.

DAD LOST MY IPOD posted:

it only took, what, like 1500 ISIS guys to capture Mosul? a city of more than a million people at the time, with 60,000 nominal defenders. turns out when one side really doesn’t want to fight it doesn’t matter how big the other side is.

the MOD could very likely have slaughtered the Prigozhin Pals on the way up but doing so would have been much more costly than negotiating them down. it’s sort of irrevocable. they showed pretty admirable restraint all things considered.

To make that theory possible, you would have to believe absolutely no one in the Russian military cares about the fate of the government and the public has entirely given up to the point that a couple hundred mercs can come in unopposed.

Ardennes has issued a correction as of 22:48 on Jun 25, 2023

Not So Fast
Dec 27, 2007

lmao

speng31b
May 8, 2010

Ardennes posted:

Considering its location, it could have been anything from an accident, unrelated friendly fire, or something else entirely.

the ghost of macho man randy savage body slammed it

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

Cerebral Bore posted:

just a few more humiliations and ukraine will get the ticking warscore bonus and then they can force a peace deal. absolutely incredible strategy on display here

Didn't you read the article about Russia not occupying the war goal? Ukraine already has ticking war score!

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

speng31b posted:

YOU STAY AWAY FROM MISS ELIZABETH RUSSIAN AIRBORNE COMMAND POST OR ILL SNAP YOU INTO A SLIMJIM AAHHHH

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

speng31b posted:

The location cited was like 60km from the highway.

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

All this talk of "wow putin didn't even demand the execution of prighozen or begin a full military assault on the convoy, how weak!" seems absurd because if there really were enough troops to cause a huge problem, with enough weaponry, which it seems like there was, then backing them into a corner, giving them no way out, and beginning a full out attack is a sure fire way to make sure they didn't just (mostly) peacefully turn around after getting some maccas.

You have to give people an out unless you're trying to push them into confrontations. So putin was weak and didn't bomb them and demand prig's head, but they also all went home and prighozen was willing to end it because he wasn't left without options but to keep fighting.

I'm not saying putin is some master strategist (unless somehow this was all the most insane 218th dimentional chess loving psyop ever done in the world and the shot down planes were just a by product of itchy trigger finger mercs not in on it), because frankly this should never have happened in a well ran country, but he absolutely handled it once it began in the best way possible by deescalating. Maybe so many liberals are just used to US police pushing every last person into a corner to cause conflict and chases, and expect FORCE AND POWER are how everything should be solved.

The Atomic Man-Boy
Jul 23, 2007

Chillgamesh posted:

support our troops

I want one ngl

axelord
Dec 28, 2012

College Slice
It could just be as simple as no one really wanted to fight people that they saw as on their side.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

speng31b posted:

Hey Il-22...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hUxY2Tz6spE

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

Didn't you read the article about Russia not occupying the war goal? Ukraine already has ticking war score!

No ticking war score in HoI.

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

96 spacejam posted:

Wonder what this event will have on the growth of PMCs globally. Last time a PMC was on an MSM rotation was back in the early 2000s with Blackwater taking pop shots at civilians from their hummer as they pinned it through the streets of Afghanistan. Suprise though, that becomes such a PR crisis that you'll end up changing your business name 3, maybe even 4 times since said event.

This is the first time in my 36 years we're getting coverage of actual mercenary groups that isn't due to a war crime committed. This morning I've been able to find at least 7 notable PMCs operating openly in this conflict. Does anyone have a list or know where I can find a proper database that documents active PMCs in general across the globe?

With no external threat to our livelihood they're is going to be a recruitment surge from the West. So.. neat.

edit: in looking for those groups I came across an entire demographic in Twitter that is convinced this was a 4d chess move by Putin and his Chef which is just adorbs

I must have a half dozen books on liberal theories of war and the problem is that:

1) They can't conscript mass armies
2) They have eroded all of the things that cause people to volunteer as Regulars
3) Neither of the above is ultimately acceptable to them because their relationship with civil society requires casualty avoidance

so they had to turn to PMC. Only that hasn't worked out great for them either and is expected not to work at all in high intensity conflicts.

So, you know, more liberalism.txt

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

You can't "ironically" enjoy a thing. Once you're wearing the gear, the Oakleys, and the operator beard it's not a joke anymore. It's closer to the way that the US Military names stuff after native Americans.

I would compare it more to the Indian and French items of clothing that have entered the British Army. Jodhpurs, bearskin hats, sashes.

Futanari Damacy
Oct 30, 2021

by sebmojo
Surely an even more nationalist leadership will make the country easier to balkanize! :dumb:

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

axelord posted:

It could just be as simple as no one really wanted to fight people that they saw as on their side.

That's pretty much it. Once the orders had come down to stop the traitors it was basically over. If somehow the plot was hatched in Moscow before taking Rostov & Voronezh, then they could've gotten pretty far unopposed.

Fleetwood
Mar 26, 2010

biggest hochul head in china

Fleetwood
Mar 26, 2010

Fleetwood
Mar 26, 2010

Catalonian Sam Seder looking guy

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Half of the French Army still dresses like Arabs and Berbers. Spahis, zouaves, Chasseurs d'Afrique.

96 spacejam
Dec 4, 2009

BearsBearsBears posted:

Could you share your list

I just put the list together, I haven't started to deep dive into each which is what I plan to do this afternoon. Levels of involvement differ, of course, and I'm not in the Telegrams nor can engage with cyrillic so Im going off Google News reports of members officially being in RU.

Slavonic Corps

Moran Security Group

Redut/Antiterrorism - I believe Redut is the official name, some have been convicted of war crimes already. Not sure what that really means though.

Specialized Tasks, Training, Equipment and Protection (STTEP)

Sandline International - They may have been up front during initial invasion

Dyck Advisory Group - These guys may be a subsidiary of Wagner for North Africa. Currently active but unsure if in RU

E.N.O.T. Corp

Once I get into my deep dive I'll come back with any proper updates. My initial feeling is that all of these groups take their orders from Wagner otherwise I'd imagine Operational Clusterfuck would be apt.

Ardennes
May 12, 2002
It isn’t an 3d chess move to have some mercs stand around, shoot a couple videos, and the go home, and if the government was going to draw a line, it would be before the mercs surrounded a military HQ.

At no point there was even a real standoff.

Ardennes has issued a correction as of 23:11 on Jun 25, 2023

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
Sandline. Huh, haven't heard that name in a long time.

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007

Cuttlefush
Jan 15, 2014

gotta have my purp

96 spacejam posted:

I just put the list together, I haven't started to deep dive into each which is what I plan to do this afternoon. Levels of involvement differ, of course, and I'm not in the Telegrams nor can engage with cyrillic so Im going off Google News reports of members officially being in RU.

Slavonic Corps

Moran Security Group

Redut/Antiterrorism - I believe Redut is the official name, some have been convicted of war crimes already. Not sure what that really means though.

Dyck Advisory Group - These guys may be a subsidiary of Wagner for North Africa. Currently active but unsure if in RU

E.N.O.T. Corp

Once I get into my deep dive I'll come back with any proper updates. My initial feeling is that all of these groups take their orders from Wagner otherwise I'd imagine Operational Clusterfuck would be apt.

missing rogue coyote, zero risk, no alert, a few others

96 spacejam
Dec 4, 2009

Cuttlefush posted:

missing rogue coyote, zero risk, no alert, a few others

Thank you! Are you just aware of them or is there a nonprofit out there tracking movements or whatever? I could be talking out my rear end so apologies.

BearsBearsBears
Aug 4, 2022
Thanks. I think you may be missing Shoigu's Patriot PMC.

96 spacejam posted:

I'm not sure why you're discounting an operational clusterfuck. That may well be the way Russia has decided to organize their troops.

96 spacejam posted:

Moran Security Group
These guys should have picked a different name.

96 spacejam posted:

Thank you! Are you just aware of them or is there a nonprofit out there tracking movements or whatever? I could be talking out my rear end so apologies.
I'm afraid you've been played like a drat fiddle.

Futanari Damacy
Oct 30, 2021

by sebmojo

96 spacejam posted:

Moran Security Group

lol, get a brain morans. Redut rear end war

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

96 spacejam posted:

Slavonic Corps

Moran Security Group

E.N.O.T. Corp

Sandline is back? I thought they disbanded 20 years ago