Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Clive?
Clive
a
Clive
View Results

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

when you guys say “disc 1” is that up until the Typhon boss fight or are you guys talking about something later on

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Augus posted:

when you guys say “disc 1” is that up until the Typhon boss fight or are you guys talking about something later on

They're referring to that, yes. It's a weird way to talk about it.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

yeah that fight and the stuff that happened after it was insanely sick

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

Arist posted:

They're referring to that, yes. It's a weird way to talk about it.

I was confused about it before I got there, but they’re right. It does feel like a PS1 disc swap moment.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I'm off work all week

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
“Disc 1” is basically just another way of saying “act 1” in this case

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Can't wait to actually have to insert disc 2 with FF7 Rebirth next year

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Sadly that’ll be right at the start during the initial install

negativeneil
Jul 8, 2000

"Personally, I think he's done a great job of being down to earth so far."
It'd be kinda fun if they still made you switch discs for old times sake though. You have to have a disc present anyway, might as well be disc 2

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

FFXVI

so clive is a megaman, but also an attack on titan? I just fought the personification of my own self-loathing (which hit a little close to home). I did laugh when the camera swapped back to the inside of the temple and it turns out jill has been waiting there the whole time while clive stared at the wall and imagined himself having a super cool kaiju battle all in his head, complete with amazing state-of-the-art graphics and special effects

cid remains super cool and i am going to feel really bad when he inevitably dies heroically.

FFXVI

FFXVI

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

Dude above me is talking about stuff before the 1st act ends, for anyone who isn’t sure if they want to read the spoilers or not.

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

Yeah I'm super slow compared to almost everyone else, it kinda sucks.

I also keep staring at Rogue Legacy when I boot up the PS5 but I can't make myself start it up instead of more Clive a Clive. Combat is starting to be super fun although I wish they'd give me a third eikon already, I'm not really grooving on the Garuda set. Although I did buy the ultimate power for it so that's been a really awesome button press on every other fight

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

Phenotype posted:

Yeah I'm super slow compared to almost everyone else, it kinda sucks.

I also keep staring at Rogue Legacy when I boot up the PS5 but I can't make myself start it up instead of more Clive a Clive. Combat is starting to be super fun although I wish they'd give me a third eikon already, I'm not really grooving on the Garuda set. Although I did buy the ultimate power for it so that's been a really awesome button press on every other fight

You don't have to wait too much longer for the third Eikon. If you master an ability within an Eikon set you can also assign it to another Eikon, if you decide you only want to keep Garuda's tornado. Her other attacks are really useful though, both for staggering enemies and for rapidly raising the damage multiplier on staggered enemies so that the abilities from your damage-dealing Eikons hit harder. The upward spin attack (I forget the name but it's mapped to your magic attack button by default) also gives a bunch of elevation when you're air juggling an enemy, so the vertical multiplier on plunging attacks is much better. It easily makes the difference between a standard descending strike and an AOE descending strike even if you don't do any air stomps.

Basically, I'd recommend experimenting with Garuda a bit more. She doesn't do much on her own, but she amplifies the attacks of the other Eikons a bunch if you utilize her well.

Bugblatter fucked around with this message at 05:48 on Jun 26, 2023

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
XVI is getting me close to biting the bullet on a PS5. I just need to really set down and figure out how much I'd use it. I prefer handhelds to consoles (I haven't used my PS4 in over a year). Most games I'd play are on the PS4 (including Persona 3 Reload next year), the only major holdouts for me are VII-Rebirth and XVI. I know they're coming to PC eventually, I'm not a huge PC gamer but it might be worth saving the price tag?

It's tough.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

ApplesandOranges posted:

XVI is getting me close to biting the bullet on a PS5. I just need to really set down and figure out how much I'd use it. I prefer handhelds to consoles (I haven't used my PS4 in over a year). Most games I'd play are on the PS4 (including Persona 3 Reload next year), the only major holdouts for me are VII-Rebirth and XVI. I know they're coming to PC eventually, I'm not a huge PC gamer but it might be worth saving the price tag?

It's tough.

Well, I would say one thing to consider is how many games you own on the PS4. If you've got a healthy digital library there that makes upgrading to PS5 a better investment because you'll keep access to the same library, rather than having to rebuy games you already own.

Beyond that it basically boils down to patience. A good solid PC is going to be cheaper but has the twin risks of games not coming out until well after their console release and the PC port sucking rear end and not running/not running well. PS5 is more expensive but games are going to run as well for you as they will for anyone else.

There's also Steam Deck but to be honest even if stuff like FF7R runs on Steam Deck I don't think it's the ideal way to play it.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

What? A PC that can play those games isn’t cheaper than a PS5.

Johnny Postnemonic
Apr 27, 2023

I want to get online...
I need to post!
Woke up shouting Clive!

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Aphrodite posted:

What? A PC that can play those games isn’t cheaper than a PS5.

You can build a PC that can play those games for cheaper. It isn't going to run it at 120fps 4k resolution or anything but I assume that isn't really a priority if cost is your concern. The only real concern is if the port sucks which has unfortunately been a relatively common problem lately. It's also going to be notably cheaper to buy most games on PC vs Sony's store.

I'd recommend a PS5 if any part of 'build your own PC" feels bad to you though since that's the only real way to make it cost effective enough.

Johnny Postnemonic
Apr 27, 2023

I want to get online...
I need to post!
If you buy a ps5 youll have a ps5.

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Playing games on a PS5 is a relatively user-friendly experience compared to PC thankfully.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

ImpAtom posted:

You can build a PC that can play those games for cheaper. It isn't going to run it at 120fps 4k resolution or anything but I assume that isn't really a priority if cost is your concern. The only real concern is if the port sucks which has unfortunately been a relatively common problem lately. It's also going to be notably cheaper to buy most games on PC vs Sony's store.

I'd recommend a PS5 if any part of 'build your own PC" feels bad to you though since that's the only real way to make it cost effective enough.

I think you’d need to get some pretty good deals to put together a comparable pc for $500.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Buy the FF16 machine

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
In Australia at least an equivalent PC to the PS5 is like 400+ kangaroo dollars more expensive and then it's probably going to run console ports like poo poo anyway because it's a personal computer

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Mostly avoid the Last of Us PC port. That version is completely horrid and Valve should remove it from Steam.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I heard they fixed it

dog nougat
Apr 8, 2009

I only see one buckle, two clasps, a single snap enclosure, and a single drawstring. 3/10

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

I said come in! posted:

Mostly avoid the Last of Us PC port. That version is completely horrid and Valve should remove it from Steam.

DF revisited it after months of patches and it is work properly on machines that meet its recommended specs now, some sparse compilation stutters aside (but those are unfortunately pretty much a given in PC releases these days). The main criticism levied against it now is that the recommended specs are a bit higher than would be expected from a well optimized release, but that’s a different issue than just being utterly broken like it was on release.

As far as buying a PC to save money… at the beginning of the year hardware guides were pricing the total parts to have parity with the PS5 in the $600-700 range. So, if you were patiently buying pieces on sale maybe you could save a bit on an equivalent machine. It would be tight though.

However, this guy didn’t say anything about building a PC. Not sure why we’re assuming he doesn’t just have a capable one already?

acksplode
May 17, 2004

veni veni veni posted:

I heard they fixed it

Yep runs well now. And I haven't even tried the latest patch yet

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

I said come in! posted:

Buy the FF16 machine

This. Also the DualSense is the best console gaming innovation since internal storage and wireless controllers were a new thing.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

most god tier boss battle music in 15 years

spoilers for first boss of the game
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eG_pCShXTVI

BeanpolePeckerwood fucked around with this message at 08:57 on Jun 26, 2023

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

Bugblatter posted:

However, this guy didn’t say anything about building a PC. Not sure why we’re assuming he doesn’t just have a capable one already?

I've got a Ryzen 4000, I don't run anything that intensive on it but usually the worst is a bit of overheating. I'm pretty terrible with tech, though.

Either way, I imagine I'll probably get one eventually, it's just a matter of when I'll crack to see if I can afford it. We've got some sales now that bring them down to about 520 USD ( imported prices are a pain, kids), so I might have to gamble on if it'll be cheaper than waiting for Christmas sales.

Blind Rasputin
Nov 25, 2002

Farewell, good Hunter. May you find your worth in the waking world.

Anyone able to summarize the warring factions and who is fighting whom at the beginning of FFXI? And like just which factions the main characters are fighting for? I think I have that Benedicta is from Waloed, fighting with the dalmechians against the iron kingdom and the main capitol of sanbreque? The latter being “the imperials” and who Clive was enslaved by? I guess everyone is fighting everyone because of blight?

It’s just so much. Playing it 30 minutes at a time has just turned the beginning (I’m at the meeting benedicta in the forest and fighting her weird summons) into a hodgepodge of facts and characters that don’t really fit into a cohesive set piece.

I do stop and read all the active time lore.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Blind Rasputin posted:

Anyone able to summarize the warring factions and who is fighting whom at the beginning of FFXI?

The three main nations and the Duchy of Jueno are mostly just angry neighbours at each other because they have the more pressing thread of the beastmen armies and the Shadowlord.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

Blind Rasputin posted:

Anyone able to summarize the warring factions and who is fighting whom at the beginning of FFXI? And like just which factions the main characters are fighting for? I think I have that Benedicta is from Waloed, fighting with the dalmechians against the iron kingdom and the main capitol of sanbreque? The latter being “the imperials” and who Clive was enslaved by? I guess everyone is fighting everyone because of blight?

It’s just so much. Playing it 30 minutes at a time has just turned the beginning (I’m at the meeting benedicta in the forest and fighting her weird summons) into a hodgepodge of facts and characters that don’t really fit into a cohesive set piece.

I’ll break this down into chunks

War is common because the Blight continually reduces the amount of arable and livable land. Some war is also theological in nature. The Ironbloods basically believe all magic is sin and fight for control of the Mothercrystals to keep them in ‘pure’ hands.

Dhalmekia was fighting the Ironbloods in the opening for more or less that reason. Dhalmekia and the Kingdom of Waloed are allies.

The Kingdom of Waloed, ruled by King Barnabas (Odin), has a CIA type group headed by Benedikta Harman. Waloed is allied with Dhalmekia to check the power and influence of the Holy Sanbreque Empire. They are the biggest fish.

The Kingdom of Waloed is on the eastern continent of Ash which is probably the most severely ravaged by Blight overall between it and the continent of Storm.

The Dhalmekian Republic’s Dominant is Hugo Kupka aka Titan. The Holy Sanbreque Empire’s Dominant is Prince Dion aka Bahamut. The Ironbloods had Jill aka Shiva as a slave and were basically forcing her to turn into Shiva by threatening to murder other slaves to use her as a WMD. This is okay because people who use magic aren’t people as far as the Ironbloods care!

At the beginning of the game, Sanbreque makes a play through Clive’s mother’s collaboration to absorb the Duchy of Rosaria as an imperial province. Clive becomes a Branded slave soldier in the Imperial army for 13 years.

If anything else needs clarifying let me know.

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

Blind Rasputin posted:

By the time it’s really important there will be an NPC who explains this stuff in an easier fashion, but you’ve got most of it right.

The prologue ends with Sanbreque (the Imperials) subjugating Rosaria with the help of Clive’s mother’s betrayal. They now occupy the northern half of the western continent (Storm). Sanbreque is the kingdom he has been enslaved by.

You’re right, Benedicta is from Waloed (the Royalists), the nation on the eastern continent (Ash). They are allied with Dalmechia, which makes up the southern half of Storm. Together, they are fighting the Iron Kingdom, a small violent island nation of the western coast, who no one likes because they are constantly raiding everyone.

Sanbreque is not openly involved in the battle between Dalmechia/Waloed and the Iron Islands, but the dominant of Shiva was abducted from Rosaria (now part of Sanbreque), the Iron Islands have been using her for their raids, and Sanbreque wants her dead. So they send a few dispensable slave soldiers to hopefully assassinate her after she’s exhausted from the main battle. That’s why Clive is there.

There is one more minor nation on the map, The Crystalline Dominion, a peaceful and small city state, but they won’t be important until later.

Aipsh
Feb 17, 2006

GLUPP SHITTO FAN CLUB PRESIDENT

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

most god tier boss battle music in 15 years

spoilers for first boss of the game
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eG_pCShXTVI

Ah man BP genuinely thinking of getting this game but I hate this music

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:
Can't believe I'm stuck at work instead of at home playing ffxvi :negative:

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Aipsh posted:

Ah man BP genuinely thinking of getting this game but I hate this music

:blastu:

oh man, it's just so kinetic and triumphant and the main swells match up with all your strikes, the part at 1:42 gives me loving chills when I'm neck deep in a 1v1 against a giant panther or whatever the gently caress, it's so loving awesome

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.
FFXVI begins slow but it becomes increasingly hype. There's slow bits that are very slow but when poo poo goes down its Asura's Wrath, DMC and Metal Gear Rising level of action.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:
My only real observation about the music in ff16 is that it feels a little too much like heavensward era ff14, and the town themes definitely make me feel like I'm playing ff14. Not that this is necessarily a bad thing mind.

My other observation about the music is not specific to ff16 but all big spectacle AAA games where there is so much visual and non-music aural information going on at most times that the music takes a back seat and I find it somewhat difficult to pick out clearly.

A few stand out tracks for me other than the standard boss theme (which is a banger) is obviously the techno boss fight and the dungeon music for the first big set piece in disc 2 had a groove that really had me pumping