Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ragnar Gunvald
May 13, 2015

Cool and good.
I just gotta say, Kepler is an awesome name and I love it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

WhiteHowler posted:

Kepler is treat-motivated, but when gets fixated, there's nothing that will distract him. When we were first learning to walk on a leash, he'd ignore fresh chicken held in front of his nose if he saw another person or dog he wanted to meet.

I've been working on this with Pickwick and it was the big focus of our first intermediate doggy school class. He can be the same way in totally ignoring me when he gets fixated to the point where I wonder if he's gone deaf. The trainer's advice was to start small in a low distraction environment and then slowly move up in both distractions and in your distance from the dog. Reward lavishly and very consistently-break out the really high value treats here. 'Pay attention to me' is a super important command, and kind of a prerequisite to every other command in a high-distraction environment, which the UPS man coming to the door definitely is.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG
It's 3am. do you know where your bone is? (it's in your mouth)

was trying to go to bed and was kinda wishing he wouldn't take the bone to bed with him. he thought this was hilarious and extremely fun (that's why his tail is a blur)

e: he just came in from outside (dog door) and was bumping my chair a bit while rolling his face into ... this

gosh thanks Gabriel, yeah I love rotten worms too, you're too generous :gonk:

he really brought it right up to me, put it on the floor and started mashing his face into it :gonk:

Flesh Forge fucked around with this message at 16:50 on Jun 21, 2023

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

I thanked him for it and gave him a huge chunk of dried chicken as a trade

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

Big fan of :frog:

I let her roll for one second

Dammit, Lady.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

ahahahahahaa

poly and open-minded
Nov 22, 2006

In BOD we trust

Our 1 year old pup has been chewing on one of the trees outside and I can't keep an eye on her all the time (I have caught her a couple times but she is very willful). Would bittle apple spray and the like work outside for something like that?

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

poly and open-minded posted:

Our 1 year old pup has been chewing on one of the trees outside and I can't keep an eye on her all the time (I have caught her a couple times but she is very willful). Would bittle apple spray and the like work outside for something like that?

Yes but not long

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!

poly and open-minded posted:

It won't stay on anything outdoors for long.

Also if there's any trace of Lab in your dog, it will continue to chew/eat anything regardless of how it tastes.

I love Labs but my god are they stupid about what they put in their mouths/stomachs.

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

My golden retriever gives no fucks about bitter apple spray at all and will happily continue devouring whatever I spray with it.

poly and open-minded
Nov 22, 2006

In BOD we trust

WhiteHowler posted:

It won't stay on anything outdoors for long.

Also if there's any trace of Lab in your dog, it will continue to chew/eat anything regardless of how it tastes.

I love Labs but my god are they stupid about what they put in their mouths/stomachs.

She's a lab-pit-pointer (or that's what the shelter told us). All the intelligence of the lab with the determination of a pointer and the mouth of a pit.

https://twitter.com/kungfuXander/status/1640525480993386496?s=20
https://twitter.com/kungfuXander/status/1630761390653984770?s=20

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

I know there's a little bit of risk in this situation but I'm not gonna discourage it :kimchi:

Clowner
Dec 13, 2006

Further in

Boxman posted:

I let her roll for one second

Dammit, Lady.

That's the thing about pups, it seems. You watch them be angels for hours on end and the split second you take your eyes off them they're eating something that could kill them or destroying your priceless Ming vases and so on.

a strange fowl
Oct 27, 2022

iris has chonked out at last. it happened so suddenly, a few weeks ago people were still asking if i was feeding her enough or if she was part kelpie because she was so skinny, and then overnight she turned into a barrel on legs

a strange fowl
Oct 27, 2022

it's impossible to keep a straight face while saying to a dog "don't kiss me, i'm angry"

Incredulous Dylan
Oct 22, 2004

Fun Shoe
I think I can now report that I own a jungle poodle

My once sweet, timid girl is now boldly disappearing into the dense vegetation around here - except I can track her because she keeps bunny hopping very high in and out of the underbrush

mareep
Dec 26, 2009

Here’s a random question! I grew up on a little farm with a bunch of animals and almost all of our dogs over the years were exclusively outdoors working dogs. My current dog is basically my husband’s first dog ever, and he’s very anxious about leaving her outside without maximum supervision, mainly because he’s afraid she’s going to eat every mushroom in our yard and die. (We also have what turned out to be a very toxic tree out there and we’re having it removed ASAP and the concern around this particular tree seems reasonable to me.)

What’s the normal level of concern for what your dog might get into? I feel like everyone on the planet just lets their dogs loose in yards with no worries. I’m more neutral on the whole thing but I’ve been meaning to ask what the typical mindset around this is!

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Well in California I’d be worried my dog would get attacked by coyotes.

Even during the day.

A lot of it just depends on the dog tbh.

Joburg
May 19, 2013

Fun Shoe

redcheval posted:

What’s the normal level of concern for what your dog might get into?

What kind of dog and how old?

In my experience, a Lab mix will get into and try to eat absolutely everything. A husky will go for the garden vegetables and fruit but not much else. A Great Dane-Poodle will leave most things alone except for expensive trees.

Younger dogs are worse for getting into everything.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

redcheval posted:

Here’s a random question! I grew up on a little farm with a bunch of animals and almost all of our dogs over the years were exclusively outdoors working dogs. My current dog is basically my husband’s first dog ever, and he’s very anxious about leaving her outside without maximum supervision, mainly because he’s afraid she’s going to eat every mushroom in our yard and die. (We also have what turned out to be a very toxic tree out there and we’re having it removed ASAP and the concern around this particular tree seems reasonable to me.)

What’s the normal level of concern for what your dog might get into? I feel like everyone on the planet just lets their dogs loose in yards with no worries. I’m more neutral on the whole thing but I’ve been meaning to ask what the typical mindset around this is!
Your farm working dogs are probably better trained than his housepet, so it's normal to want to keep it supervised and fenced in

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Incredulous Dylan posted:

I think I can now report that I own a jungle poodle

My once sweet, timid girl is now boldly disappearing into the dense vegetation around here - except I can track her because she keeps bunny hopping very high in and out of the underbrush

My dog does this and sometimes I'll see the tip of his tail wagging.
Or he'll just show up later in/on the path

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
Unsupervised dogs will find something to do that you don't want them to do. This applies just as much outdoors as indoors. I wouldn't really want to let a young dog run around in my yard unsupervised. At minimum, you want to watch them until you figure out what they're going to do that's undesirable, and rig appropriate protections (e.g. wire mesh).

And on that note, keep in mind that scolding them for e.g. digging up your flower beds might just teach them "I should only do this when I'm not being watched."

Ragnar Gunvald
May 13, 2015

Cool and good.

I'm so loving angry right now. Our apartment block had a decent number of people with pets, there's one oval office who has 2 poodles, Leo and Milo (I think they're poodles) and most of the time they're really well-behaved and chill, but the owner never walks them on the lead. He always lets them run wherever they want....

He loves Freja and always comes over the say hello all the time and legit never had an issue till today, I think the heat is part of the issue tbh, but this morning, one of his poodles (Milo) went nuts barking at a cat so I made a mental note to pay attention to that one as possibly being a little reactive or something.

Anyway, this evening we went out for a short walk later than usual, once it cooled down a lot and bumped into our neighbour from across the hall, who have a lovely dog (Ambrose) who Freja loves playing with and hanging out so we decided to walk back with them.

Turns out the dog over the road, Ambrose loves the other 2 and we bumped into them, they was all playing and Freja wanted to join in, She's done a little off lead training too and knows all of the dogs so I let her off to play with them for 5 mins before we go back upstairs, something theyve all done a few times together now.

One of the poodles (Leo, not Milo who I was watching)had a small stick that he got bored of and Freja decided to pick it up as he had done with it, obviously this caused the injury above as the poodle decided it was still his stick. Wanker.

Just missed her poor little eye. There's 2 puncture wounds there, one quite deep but small and the other is more of a slash. We got really lucky there and she's unfortunately not going to be let off to play with those poodles again now.

I didn't notice the wound at all to start with even after checking her out , not till we was in the lift back up with Ambrose, then I noticed the blood. We've cleaned it with soap and water, then flushed it with saline and put some barrier cream on it for the evening but I'm going to be taking her back to the vets tomorrow I imagine as I can't see them not wanting to see her when I call them tomorrow.

She's finally settled down and fallen asleep but she's breathing so fast, I'm putting it down to the heat though as it's so drat hot here right now. She has the fan on her and is on a cooling mat which she's been perfectly fine with the last few nights while it's been soon hot..I don't think I'll be getting too much sleep tonight either if her breathing doesnt go back to its normal rate.

I never expected 1 month of puppy ownership to be so eventful or stressful. I'm just glad it missed her eye and she was still happy and playful after so it's likely to not cause any permanent issue once we get her on antibiotics.

Does anyone else have experience with their pupper being bitten?

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

you should probably take that dog to the vet ASAP if you can possibly afford it.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Ragnar Gunvald posted:

Does anyone else have experience with their pupper being bitten?
Dog mouths are very dirty you should go to the vet.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Flesh Forge posted:

you should probably take that dog to the vet ASAP if you can possibly afford it.

I agree. They are definitely going to want to give antibiotics.

It sucks and I’ve dealt with it twice in the 1 year we’ve had our dog. She’s done nothing and been bitten twice.

The last time she wasn’t even looking at the dog and it came up and took a chunk out.

Ragnar Gunvald
May 13, 2015

Cool and good.
The plan is to call the vets and take her in first thing, I asked in the vet thread and they didn't indicate taking her in right away and I basically made the same post as here but more succinct and said everything we were doing is fine. I'm gonna be keeping a close eye on her through the night though.

Edit: it's midnight here so I'd have to spend £100 on an Uber again like last time on top of the vet and honestly, based on the other thread I think she can wait till morning.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

Good luck :ohdear:

Ragnar Gunvald
May 13, 2015

Cool and good.
We've move her into our bedroom tonight and she seems to be settling down just fine and it's a touch cooler in here too.

a strange fowl
Oct 27, 2022

HootTheOwl posted:

My dog does this and sometimes I'll see the tip of his tail wagging.
Or he'll just show up later in/on the path
iris has a blazing white tail tip that shines like a beacon above the grass, it's so helpful

mareep
Dec 26, 2009

Joburg posted:

What kind of dog and how old?

In my experience, a Lab mix will get into and try to eat absolutely everything. A husky will go for the garden vegetables and fruit but not much else. A Great Dane-Poodle will leave most things alone except for expensive trees.

Younger dogs are worse for getting into everything.

Ok this checks out, she’s definitely a lab mix and also loves to chew on and potentially eat things she shouldn’t! She’s 1.5 and still pretty rambunctious. I was catching up with a friend this morning who told me a story about having to pry a piece of stick out of her dog’s mouth because it got wedged between the upper teeth on the roof of its mouth so I’m back on board with always keeping her supervised in the yard!

Not that I wasn’t really. The mushroom thing was what really piqued my curiosity and I’m wondering how our outdoor dogs growing up never got into, idk, dead squirrels or whatever out in the boonies. Or maybe they did! And under no circumstances will she ever be permitted to roam somewhere unfenced either!

Ragnar Gunvald
May 13, 2015

Cool and good.
Ended up on a video chat with a vet last night and she said there's not much we can do, just keep an eye on it for a few days, then called our normal vet this morning and they've booked her in for tomorrow afternoon as they don't think it's overly serious too. But should get some antibiotics at least just to be safe.

Head Bee Guy
Jun 12, 2011

Retarded for Busting
Grimey Drawer
My folks recently adopted a lovely lab-esque mutt named Tracey. She's quite well behaved (will sit on command and comes when called most of the time) for a rescue and seems like she comes from a relatively trauma-free past. However, she's taken to barking at night, seemingly at nothing. It's nearly impossible to find the trigger, so I'm unsure of where to start here. Any suggestions? Books or articles?

Riatsala
Nov 20, 2013

All Princesses are Tyrants

Hey, dipshit dog owner here. Dog is currently refusing to eat breakfast and obsessively eating grass. Obviously some digestive distress here but I have no idea how to respond. He seems otherwise alert and happy? He has never refused food or been into grass before.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

Head Bee Guy posted:

My folks recently adopted a lovely lab-esque mutt named Tracey. She's quite well behaved (will sit on command and comes when called most of the time) for a rescue and seems like she comes from a relatively trauma-free past. However, she's taken to barking at night, seemingly at nothing. It's nearly impossible to find the trigger, so I'm unsure of where to start here. Any suggestions? Books or articles?

This is really common and not exactly a bad thing with dogs in a new place - imo it means they've accepted your home is HOME and it is more important to guard home and warn you of bad stuff/warn away enemies than it is to stay silent and hidden. The really basic cause is anxiety, so whatever you do, don't raise her anxiety by things like yelling or anything. Time spent with nothing bad happening helps a lot, teaching calmness during the day helps a lot too. This is the kind of stuff I did back when I adopted Darla and she had this problem with really high excitement for a good while:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wesm2OpE_2c

e: I should point out, Gabriel is in this phase himself although he's older, he started out way more introverted and much less excitable than Darla was but it's still pretty clearly the same behavior and I think the cause is the same

e: oh cool she still makes videos, here's a more modern version of that same video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yr1olzgidMw

Flesh Forge fucked around with this message at 17:48 on Jun 26, 2023

alg
Mar 14, 2007

A wolf was no less a wolf because a whim of chance caused him to run with the watch-dogs.

Riatsala posted:

Hey, dipshit dog owner here. Dog is currently refusing to eat breakfast and obsessively eating grass. Obviously some digestive distress here but I have no idea how to respond. He seems otherwise alert and happy? He has never refused food or been into grass before.

If it were my dog, I would feed boiled chicken and rice in small quantities as long as he is still drinking water, and if it lasts longer than 24 or 48 hrs I would call the vet

Edit: assuming he is throwing up after eating grass

alg fucked around with this message at 17:14 on Jun 26, 2023

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Dogs don't always need breakfast though. As long as they are eating dinner it's just a dog being a dog.

Quorum
Sep 24, 2014

REMIND ME AGAIN HOW THE LITTLE HORSE-SHAPED ONES MOVE?
We've definitely learned not to panic about a missed meal or two every now and then, as long as our doofus seems content it's sometimes just that she doesn't feel like eating for whatever reason. (Reasons we've encountered so far: she didn't like the bowl we were feeding her in and wanted a shallower bowl or plate; she didn't like how her food bowl smelled and wanted a clean one; we'd fed her a bit too much beforehand and she wasn't feeling hungry at her normal time; she had eaten an entire bottle of carprofen without us realizing and felt poopy.) More than 24 hours is when we start to get concerned-- that last one was the only time it's ever been a serious issue, which we realized when we found the chewed up bottle. She was completely fine, somehow, because she's invincible, but that was a fun emergency vet visit.

Our usual approach is to break out the chicken and rice if she won't eat and is otherwise demonstrating some issue-- malaise, fatigue, that kind of thing-- and talk to the vet if it keeps up. If it's just one meal and everything seems fine, we'll just let her skip the meal and see if she changes her mind at the next one.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Dogs can also get bored of their food and just not want to eat it anymore. Ours is hella allergic to chicken so I just keep something like this on hand and sprinkle it on top when she gets really picky.

https://www.amazon.com/Herbsmith-Ki...s%2C170&sr=8-25

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Riatsala
Nov 20, 2013

All Princesses are Tyrants

I'm not too worried yet, but I think he's not thrilled about his current dogfood. I'm going to prepare some chicken and rice for a few days and switch him back to a favored brand once his tummy is back in order.

I watch his eating habits like a hawk because he already has a sensitive stomach and will throw up bile if he goes more than 12 hours without a decent meal. Feels like I'm reading tea leaves whenever he acts strangely, though; I have no idea what I'm doing.

Thanks for the advice.