Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Best Eikon
Phoenix
Titan
Garuda
Ramuh
Shiva
Odin
Bahamut
Ifrit
View Results

Frankston
Jul 27, 2010

Macaluso posted:

Man I'm feeling pretty let down by the fight with Kupta. The fight was just like... fine, but I was expecting him to get extremely pissed and for it to lead into another Kaiju fight and it didn't. And now I just have the powers of Titan. The whole thing felt pretty anticlimactic.

Lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

isk
Oct 3, 2007

You don't want me owing you

theblackw0lf posted:

Trading Jill for Byron on my adventurers definitely seems to be trading up.

Not a knock on Jill, he’s just so much more fun.

He just rolled the R when he said "ruffians"

I love him

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal

Macaluso posted:

Man I'm feeling pretty let down by the fight with Kupta. The fight was just like... fine, but I was expecting him to get extremely pissed and for it to lead into another Kaiju fight and it didn't. And now I just have the powers of Titan. The whole thing felt pretty anticlimactic.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
Ah, it appears I spelled his name wrong. Oh well. :colbert:

On the other hand I just met this Mid person and would like them to fight and be on my team now please

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

Berserker Ring might be the most satisfying item in the game

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Mr. Trampoline posted:

Like yeah these side quests would be fine if I was doing them in FFXIV. There are occasionally interesting bits in there. But this is a single player, offline RPG, so I'm going to be comparing them to stuff like the Hero Quests and Ascension Quests in Xenoblade 3, which have a whole different level of presentation and reward to them

Side-quests fill a completely different role in this, though. In XC3 they were basically necessary if you wanted to incorporate those classes into your gameplay, while FF16 instead just chooses to keep most of its substantive content in its main quest. I don't think it would be good if this game had Eikon skills locked behind optional side-quests in the same way, because it doesn't fit the structure of the game.

Probably my only significant gripe with the side quests is that they don't do as good a job as the FF14 side-quests at giving towns character. In FF14, a town's side quests (and particularly the bigger one with the chain of multiple quests) would give you a good idea of a town's citcumstances/character. In FF16, they mostly seem to just give broader world-building.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

isk posted:

He just rolled the R when he said "ruffians"

I love him

Yeah Lord Byron is basically the best and it’s no contest.

WHO ARE WE PLUNDERING? RUTHERFORD FETCH ME MY CUTLASS

Mr. Trampoline
May 16, 2010

Ytlaya posted:

Side-quests fill a completely different role in this, though. In XC3 they were basically necessary if you wanted to incorporate those classes into your gameplay, while FF16 instead just chooses to keep most of its substantive content in its main quest. I don't think it would be good if this game had Eikon skills locked behind optional side-quests in the same way, because it doesn't fit the structure of the game.

I didn't say side quests had to reward optional Eikon skills (though I think that'd be pretty cool and would be a great reward!) I said there was a gulf in difference between presentation and reward of side quests in this, and Xenoblade 3 for example. I could also make the comparison with Witcher 3. I only just did a sidequest that did have a little presentation value, 30 hours in - a sidequest where you have to settle the Hideaway's debts - and that was pretty good because it had some actual mocapped cutscenes! More of that, please!

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Macaluso posted:

Keep playing.

Arrrthritis
May 31, 2007

I don't care if you're a star, the moon, or the whole damn sky, you need to come back down to earth and remember where you came from

Captain Oblivious posted:

Yeah Lord Byron is basically the best and it’s no contest.

WHO ARE WE PLUNDERING? RUTHERFORD FETCH ME MY CUTLASS

This is an objective truth.

I loving love it when you're about to get into a fight and he just chugs the remaining bits of stew, grabs some drinks and bread, and hides behind the counter while you deal with everyone

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011

Arrrthritis posted:

This is an objective truth.

I loving love it when you're about to get into a fight and he just chugs the remaining bits of stew, grabs some drinks and bread, and hides behind the counter while you deal with everyone

That entire sequence is just a treat. Josh and Jote hanging out upstairs and bailing out the window because oh gently caress Clive is here and we ain't explaining poo poo about our deal yet! The mooks just bemusedly staring as Byron vacuums up the spread before the table gets kicked. Wonderful

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

Petition to rename the game to Josh and Jote's Cryptically Excellent Adventure

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
the character under discussion is great but i haven't gotten my "tally-ho!" yet. i am waiting, koji fox

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
also titan's moveset has taken a sledgehammer to what remains of the difficulty curve, though i can't say i'm complaining. i've been just-guarding and dodging whenever possible so i have the timings of everything more or less worked out, and while the shield is just so-so, the upgraded thousand arms skill is disgusting and the windup punch does nearly as much damage as judgment bolt. thousand arms+rook can wipe out half a stagger bar by themselves if properly timed

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
Finishing a fight with Judgement bolt is so satisfying

triple sulk posted:

Berserker Ring might be the most satisfying item in the game

I just got that, how exactly does it work? Is it just an attack buff when you precision dodge?

susan b buffering
Nov 14, 2016

RatHat posted:

I just got that, how exactly does it work? Is it just an attack buff when you precision dodge?

It's more than that. Just put it on and it'll be obvious next time you precision dodge.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

RatHat posted:

It makes the precision dodge animation 10x cooler and sets your sword on fire temporarily after you nail one.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

SirSamVimes posted:

It makes the precision dodge animation 10x cooler and sets your sword on fire temporarily after you nail one.

You also attack way faster and accidentally parry a lot of attacks, further compounding the awesome.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Caidin posted:

That entire sequence is just a treat. Josh and Jote hanging out upstairs and bailing out the window because oh gently caress Clive is here and we ain't explaining poo poo about our deal yet! The mooks just bemusedly staring as Byron vacuums up the spread before the table gets kicked. Wonderful

There's some wonderful use of long shots in that scene, most games (and movies for that matter) aren't willing to let something breathe like that.

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

Olivier creeps me the gently caress out and I'm just wondering what I'll have to do to inevitably kill them because they're the god vessel or something

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
can't get enough of the dominant boss theme. that brief string lull exploding into choral bombast hits so good every time

theblackw0lf
Apr 15, 2003

"...creating a vision of the sort of society you want to have in miniature"
So I’m a bit confused. (Somewhat after fifth Eikon spoilers)

what did the empire council think Prince Olivier had done to get the Republic to want an armistice with the Empire?

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

Twibbit posted:

Motion blur is great actually
Also our own brains do motion blur as well. If it is per object or even better per pixel, it adds a lot to making things feel smooth.

And it looks like FFXVI is doing per object as it should. The gold standard still seems to be Insomniac Game's per pixel motion blur they use all the time in Spider-Man and R&C mind you.

P much 100% correct. The ghosting I see looks, again like I said before, exactly like ghosting from bad AI upscaling.

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

Motion blur is massively misunderstood.

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

Just unlocked the limit break, and god drat that so loving cool. This game is really something when it's firing on all cylinders. Also there were a ton of FFXIV references in that Ifrit fight, it uses a lot of the same attacks (but faster, that Ifrit is the very first primal you fight, so it's very easy).

Glad that Clive has finally come around to fully joining up with fantasy John Brown. All the foot dragging on that has been a bit annoying.

isk
Oct 3, 2007

You don't want me owing you
Echoing others about the 4th Eikon fight. Genuinely let out a Ric Flair WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO at the end

What a game

ntan1
Apr 29, 2009

sempai noticed me

Macaluso posted:

lol

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro

isk posted:

Echoing others about the 4th Eikon fight. Genuinely let out a Ric Flair WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO at the end

What a game

Just got through this part and it ruled. Was half expecting this to happen

https://youtu.be/xGr-n6HXFRw

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Begemot posted:

Just unlocked the limit break, and god drat that so loving cool. This game is really something when it's firing on all cylinders. Also there were a ton of FFXIV references in that Ifrit fight, it uses a lot of the same attacks (but faster, that Ifrit is the very first primal you fight, so it's very easy).

Glad that Clive has finally come around to fully joining up with fantasy John Brown. All the foot dragging on that has been a bit annoying.

i am a simple man, when an eikon fight uses attack names from their ffxiv trial equivalent i clap like a dumb seal

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Macaluso posted:

Lmao

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I am very tempted to go find a farming spot and slam a bunch of AP down my gullet so I can finally liberate Judgement Bolt from Ramuh’s otherwise unimpressive moveset.

The final 5500 to master is taunting me

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

The spears you jab into the ground are also incredibly good for raising the combo damage during stagger, just place one next to them at the start and you're doubling the amount of hits you do.

I thought I'd swap out Ramuh when I got Titan but ended up replacing Garuda instead which I was only really keeping around for the half will stagger special.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Garuda got the counter attack which I love though

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

I don't love Ramuh's Eikonic Feat but Pile Drive is just hilarious

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
I just got the fifth element set. I think I'll drop judgement bolt into that one and make it my blasting set. Tbh the single target lightning attack absolutely shits out damage and I use it a lot. It seems like a lot of ap on masteries but respec is easy so I'll see if it works.

FireWorksWell
Nov 27, 2014

Let's go do some hero shit!

Captain Oblivious posted:

I am very tempted to go find a farming spot and slam a bunch of AP down my gullet so I can finally liberate Judgement Bolt from Ramuh’s otherwise unimpressive moveset.

The final 5500 to master is taunting me

Lightning rod is great with will o the wykes and gouge on staggered enemies

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

I like lightning rod and ignition. I don't know if its good but it sure does proc a lot

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

SyntheticPolygon posted:

Garuda got the counter attack which I love though

Titan has a similar counterattack that's also Star Platinum going ora ora ora ora

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Why not have both?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Klungar
Feb 12, 2008

Klungo make bessst ever video game, 'Hero Klungo Sssavesss Teh World.'

Macaluso posted:

Just know that no one is making fun of you, they are excited for you.