Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sandweed
Sep 7, 2006

All your friends are me.

Trilobite posted:

I wonder if Chris is gonna try the same thing with Star Citizen if all the reasons he wants to go (he's bored with Star Citizen/Sq42, frustrated that they can't even deliver a minimally viable product, worried that the money might stop coming in, and afraid he'll be left holding the bag when CIG collapses) ever overpower the reasons he's staying (mostly ego and self-delusion, and of course, the Mess Hall Scene).

The moment Chris publicly walks away the entire project is going to collapse.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

Comedy option - it's acquired by CCP Games

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Sandweed posted:

Nah. Unless the project is formally terminated (by the developers, a lawsuit, or the government) it will continue indefinitely until the last rube dies.

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Goddamn Hellgate:London is still working and that poo poo was from an era where scamming your player base was still on its infancy.

Zeniel
Oct 18, 2013
I'm kinda thinking that the video game industry boom that happened in the 90s in Texas only made a select few people particularly wealthy.

Zeniel
Oct 18, 2013

trucutru posted:

Goddamn Hellgate:London is still working and that poo poo was from an era where scamming your player base was still on its infancy.

Did... did they actually make it enjoyable to play?

Sandweed
Sep 7, 2006

All your friends are me.

trucutru posted:

Nah. Unless the project is formally terminated (by the developers, a lawsuit, or the government) it will continue indefinitely until the last rube dies.

Sure monocle cats will just keep trucking but a lot of the faithful are in this specifically because of Chris and his vision.

Janitor Ludwich IV
Jan 25, 2019

by vyelkin
people just keep putting money into this poo poo even though they've accomplished nothing in like 15 years

amazing

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

Zeniel posted:

Last I heard, one of the Korean mmo companies took over the title. So probably not, unless you have some extra cash for the store

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

Lol said the scorpion, lmao
https://thumbs.gfycat.com/CornyLightheartedAmericancurl-mobile.mp4

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

I always really appreciate seeing these clips.

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

Sandweed posted:

He’s been weekend as Bernie’s it for the last 8 years anyhow

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Zeniel posted:

That's not good game design or how you make money. You make it loving annoying and grindy and poo poo to play and then you insinuate that buying stuff in the cash shop will make it hurt less (it won't, it will just let you progress to the next shitpoint).

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

How 'bout them hawks news huh!
I thought for sure Hellgate London was decidedly dead. Huh.

dialhforhero
Apr 3, 2008
Am I 🧑‍🏫 out of touch🤔? No🧐, it's the children👶 who are wrong🤷🏼‍♂️
I thought that like, 15 years ago.

Trilobite
Aug 15, 2001

Sandweed posted:

Sure monocle cats will just keep trucking but a lot of the faithful are in this specifically because of Chris and his vision.

They've all been trained so effectively for so long to keep the faith no matter what that I'm not sure even Chris pulling a Lord British would be enough to snap them out of it. They always knew Star Citizen was a project of such ambitious scope that it was designed to outlive everyone working on it, Chris's vision is intact, he's still a "creative consultant," blah blah blah let's compare our fleets and dream about what they can do (someday, when the tech to create the roadmap to invent the game mechanics is ready to go into imagineering).

Every time I've seen something that has made me think "This will be the final straw, there's no way CIG can keep the grift running now," their fans just close their eyes and keep dreaming. I genuinely don't know what, if anything, would finally make them break.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

Trilobite posted:

I genuinely don't know what, if anything, would finally make them break.

The game being released. :haw:

lobsterminator
Oct 16, 2012

happyhippy posted:

No one mention yet how Lord British scammed a poo poo load of people with Shroud of the Avatar?
Instead of ships, it was land plots, and like NFTs were totally useless once bought.
British hosed off the instant it collapsed.

I paid for the Kickstarter at the basic "get the game" level.

There hadn't been many major Kickstarter failures at that point. As the project continued it just kept looking uglier. The graphics in the Kickstarter pitch weren't great, but it was an early pitch so maybe they improve. Well it remained looking like rear end. Like a mish-mash of Unity assets cobbled together with bad lighting with no art direction.

Because of this I never even downloaded the game. And I became a lot more careful regards to Kickstarters after it.

Star Citizen has no art direction either, but they went the other way so they only care about "fidelity" where every bland and ugly object has a million polygons.

Sandweed
Sep 7, 2006

All your friends are me.

Pretty sure Chris has essentially left the project, but they can't admit it publicly. It's why they keep bringing out new chosen ones like Tony Z ect.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe

Tippis posted:

I used to think that. Not anymore. Star Citizen is already released and this isn't stopping the dreamers.

They're going to pretend it's early access and the secret build with a full, real, life replacing game is just around the corner, even if anyone from Clown Idiot Games was dumb enough to officially call development finished and the game released (which will never happen).

JammyB
May 23, 2001

I slept with Mary and Joseph never found out
Another Golgot100 video, on modding and self-hosted servers.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T7WhJGaF5ZM

Nice honesty around the 6:45 mark of Lando saying one of the group will be dead before any of this is done.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
Jesus Christ, we really can't fully appreciate the slow steady descent into madness with this shitfest as time progresses normally. You need a video like this to really lay the details of the last DECADE out.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bn71K0JW4Ns

JugbandDude
Jul 19, 2016

Remember when you were young, you shone like the sun

Shine on you crazy diamond!
I think Chris is still in the project full time, approving or rejecting every little decision and game asset.

He’s just out of view so he can jump ship any time he wants.

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

I miss the days of Chris being spotted at the airport boarding a flight to Monaco or whatever

And sandi posting pictures from the back of a yacht

Those were the best days in this whole debacle

Sandweed
Sep 7, 2006

All your friends are me.

Sandi going to the premiere of a movie she had been completely cut from was a real highlight for me.

AutismVaccine
Feb 26, 2017

SPECIAL NEEDS
SQUAD

Sandweed posted:

Sandi going to the premiere of a movie she had been completely cut from was a real highlight for me.

the exploding vehicle on the ramp at citcon is slightly better imo

Zeniel
Oct 18, 2013
People should start to get concerned when Chris releases the Hale Bopp comet update.

Quill
Jan 19, 2004

AutismVaccine posted:

the exploding vehicle on the ramp at citcon is slightly better imo

A memory that always brings a smile to my face.

Only Kindness
Oct 12, 2016
OH Noooooooooooooooooooooo...

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Nothing can beat Croberts trying to play his own game like a confused grandpa.

That's why he has never tried again

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

For me the height of hilarity in this whole poo poo show was

Chris spitting on the cake and throwing his script on the stage floor

And Sandi glaring at the intern when the camera changed to her suddenly

Junk Puncher
Dec 31, 2009
I personally miss the days before we saw the fraud behind the curtain. When the Goons were all in, forming guilds, building a fleet and a war chest, theorycrafting, creating elaborate org flowcharts, and drawing lines in the sand. It was all decent production quality for what turned out to be a daydream.

Most of all I miss the You must be a Something Awful Platinum Member to view this message.

Junk Puncher
Dec 31, 2009
Also when they tried to pass off that airlock door as something they were capable of building with a garage door and scraps they had lying about.

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

Junk Puncher posted:

Also when they tried to pass off that airlock door as something they were capable of building with a garage door and scraps they had lying about.

That was the internal damage control in full swing , I forget who their social media “face” was at the time but it was Baghdad Bob all over again

Lord Stimperor
Jun 13, 2018

I'm a lovable meme.

:corsair:

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
Personally I was a huge fan of the insanely overpriced, completely impractical (for offices) furniture made to look like it was made from WW2 airplanes.

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

orcane posted:

Personally I was a huge fan of the insanely overpriced, completely impractical (for offices) furniture made to look like it was made from WW2 airplanes.

You mean the rivet filled desk that made it impossible to write legibly on ?

For shame - that’s what rich people write on!

Cig is rich you see

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Fidelity. Wait, was I'm working on again?
There are almost too many "height of hilarity" to pick just one.

The StarGur event was among my favorites - someone started to mass report any images making fun of Star Citizen, so we started to re-point their own images here, resulting in them inadvertently wiping out their own pics en masse.

There was a brief time when we were able to find tons and tons of plagiarized images from their composite marketing materials, including pics from science textbooks, pics of Marriott Inns with the name incompletely removed, and some random guy out walking at a park that was suddenly part of a marketing poster. Lots still had watermarks.

I also remember some of their in-game assets also still having watermarks. In an incredible display of pre-pandemic remote work collaboration, for about a month, SomethingAwful was basically directing the development efforts at CIG. We'd find something and make fun of it, and it would be addressed within hours. Sometime minutes. I still wonder whose job it was to read this thread and report it, and I'm still amazed at the response time - damage control was definitely job one back then.

Maybe the thing that had me laughing longest and hardest was the Crobear pic someone sneaked into an official Star Citizen mozaic at one of their events.

Scruffpuff fucked around with this message at 20:12 on Jun 26, 2023

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

Scruffpuff posted:

Maybe the thing that had me laughing longest and hardest was the Crobear pic someone sneaked into an official Star Citizen mozaic at one of their events.

I want to remember, that the mosaic was on display in their board room

Didn't someone spot it in one of their 'look we are hard at work here doing management things' with a picture of them all sitting around a table at their LA office?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MedicineHut
Feb 25, 2016

Tippis posted:

But the game is already released in early access so :shrug: