Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: harrygomm, Astryl)

Snord
Mar 5, 2002

We hugged it out, but I was still a little angry.

George H.W. oval office posted:

Ah the heady days of PC Accelerator

PCXL was the game version of Maxim magazine. Pure late 90’s.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 13 hours!

Suburban Dad posted:

But yeah it's still way worse nowadays because you can fall back on patching games rather than having to pay a fuckload of money to make new physical copies.

at launch if u played doom mp with a soundcard installed the game crashed. diablo 1 was repeatedly patched. this mythical time never existed, the difference is games get fixed now instead of it being a coinflip if they even bother.

trevorreznik
Apr 22, 2023

Stux posted:

valks. they didnt fire right bcos of the sprite limit for projectiles

Wtf

The Ol Spicy Keychain
Jan 17, 2013

I MEPHISTO MY OWN ASSHOLE
man I just wanna see the battle pass cosmetic for my class. we need that S1 dev stream

sorcs are in desperate need of drip

WarpedLichen
Aug 14, 2008

It wasn't quite that bad, they just fired a ton of missiles which used up the sprite limit rather quickly (which caused projectiles to never spawn).

Effectively this meant you only ever used them in some niche early game times where you could have 1 or 2 around for air defense. Not sure if they ever became more useful even after the sprite limit got raised.

Janitor Ludwich IV
Jan 25, 2019

by vyelkin

WarpedLichen posted:

It wasn't quite that bad, they just fired a ton of missiles which used up the sprite limit rather quickly (which caused projectiles to never spawn).

Effectively this meant you only ever used them in some niche early game times where you could have 1 or 2 around for air defense. Not sure if they ever became more useful even after the sprite limit got raised.

They are a very strong anti air unit in remaster, very useful against zerg

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

malae fidei cum XI_XXVI_MMIX
Damning praise comparing d4 to games from 30 years ago and barely coming out on top

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe

Vic posted:

Damning praise comparing d4 to games from 30 years ago and barely coming out on top

wat

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?
There's no time to read a discussion in full for context when you could be delivering a red hot burn to noted bad game Diablo 4.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

Vic posted:

Shut up bitch!!

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

OctaMurk
Jun 21, 2013
diablo 4 is unfinished because they forgot to include diablo

Janitor Ludwich IV
Jan 25, 2019

by vyelkin
i can't believe that people are still deluding themselves into thinking this is d2: 2 because they swapped out d3's colour pallette

just the most broken brains

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

OctaMurk posted:

diablo 4 is unfinished because they forgot to include diablo

Diablo died, I killed him

and her

Dr. Fraiser Chain
May 18, 2004

Redlining my shit posting machine

I ain't even fight one Diablo, let alone 4 of em.

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

American McGay posted:

Shut up bitch!!

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 13 hours!

WarpedLichen posted:

theyre a core terran unit now. they mulch muta swarms cos theyre tons of splash damage vs a unit you stack on themselves

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

Just made to jump to T4 at level 62. I assume the best way to gear up is Helltides?

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

I mean putting Diablo into a Diablo game would be too on the nose. I think we all can agree we'd prefer watching regretful old men get owned by scenery.

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

All of your favorite games from the past, OoT, Mario 64, Fallout 1 and 2, Daggerfall, Deus Ex, Thief 1 and 2, System Shock 2, Ultima VII, Ultima Underworld, Half-Life, etc. were some mixture of broken and obviously unfinished.
It's hard to point out a non-buggy, fully complete 90s release than it is the other way around.

Also lol, do none of you remember registration cards to get patches? First you got notice for a patch a month after launch, then you waited another month for the shipping, then you got a patch for a game likely long after you were done with it. All those patched versions of older games you play off of GOG nowadays are easy to get, most people didn't even bother back then. The most common way of getting a patched game back then was buying a budget bin re-release in one of those two for one jewelcase things.

Vargs
Mar 27, 2010

Anyone happen to know if there's any benefit to using two 1h maces for the Barb's Concussion passive, or am I fine with just one?

satanic splash-back
Jan 28, 2009

Vic posted:

I mean putting Diablo into a Diablo game would be too on the nose. I think we all can agree we'd prefer watching regretful old men get owned by scenery.

They say write what you know

Tokubetsu
Dec 18, 2007

Love Is Not Enough
Did you guys know that Diablo is spanish for Devil?

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
It occurred to me, I wonder if WT5 was left out of launch because they didn’t want to have a difficulty perceived as “too hard” that average players couldn’t get through. Maybe learning the wrong lesson from Inferno, maybe it’s just letting the player base get a meta established before having higher difficulty content.

Or maybe they think it’s easier to deal with a player base feeling overpowered and asking for harder content than it is to deal with players feeling underpowered.

1.0 Inferno loving sucked real bad imo.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

I think it's more likely they want WT5 to have more going on than just a difficulty bump and they had their hands full getting the rest of the game ready to ship. If they were designing the game not to be too hard for the average person it'd end after three hours.

Tiny Timbs fucked around with this message at 03:21 on Jun 26, 2023

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
Okay, the average endgame player, since I suppose the “average” player never finishes the campaign.

I don’t mind that they’re listening to player feedback and taking measured steps, rather than the D3 experience of being told to suck a fat one.

trevorreznik
Apr 22, 2023
Had a friend carry me through the wt3 capstone since I was going real slow on elites and would have surely died horribly to Elias at level 57

Now I can't use any of the ancestral stuff that's dropped in the next dungeon we did , until I hit 60. Argh

The Ol Spicy Keychain
Jan 17, 2013

I MEPHISTO MY OWN ASSHOLE

Tiny Timbs posted:

I think it's more likely they want WT5 to have more going on than just a difficulty bump and they had their hands full getting the rest of the game ready to ship. If they were designing the game not to be too hard for the average person it'd end after three hours.

this seems possible yeah. WT5 was in the endgame beta but they cut it out for launch and maybe chose to launch it alongside the first seasonal mechanic instead

CBD Corndog
Jun 21, 2009

Lil Swamp Booger Baby posted:

All of your favorite games from the past, OoT, Mario 64, Fallout 1 and 2, Daggerfall, Deus Ex, Thief 1 and 2, System Shock 2, Ultima VII, Ultima Underworld, Half-Life, etc. were some mixture of broken and obviously unfinished.
It's hard to point out a non-buggy, fully complete 90s release than it is the other way around.

Also lol, do none of you remember registration cards to get patches? First you got notice for a patch a month after launch, then you waited another month for the shipping, then you got a patch for a game likely long after you were done with it. All those patched versions of older games you play off of GOG nowadays are easy to get, most people didn't even bother back then. The most common way of getting a patched game back then was buying a budget bin re-release in one of those two for one jewelcase things.

Yeah, there are 3 different versions of the Ocarina of time cart (1.0, 1.1, and 1.2) and Mario 64 had changes and fixed glitches between the japanese and america releases. Most of those other games were patched to hell, and it was a nightmare trying to find the right sequence to install patches or even where to download them all in the first place. Spend all night downloading a 100MB Deus Ex patch from fileplanet but its a delta update for 1.0.2.34334 to 1.0.3 but it turns out you're running 1.0.2.14234, better start digging around the early internet for this other patch

"old games were feature complete and didn't need patching" is wild as hell

satanic splash-back
Jan 28, 2009

trevorreznik posted:

Had a friend carry me through the wt3 capstone since I was going real slow on elites and would have surely died horribly to Elias at level 57

Now I can't use any of the ancestral stuff that's dropped in the next dungeon we did , until I hit 60. Argh

Then point of the dungeon is to check if you are ready for the next tier and if you need to be carried, then you are not

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer
I wonder why they have to take the game down two different days, almost 24 hours apart, for 5 hours at a time. Is day one just groundwork and then day two is applying the patch? I'll be too busy to play anyway, sucks for the people who this is their first weekday off of the summer though.

trevorreznik
Apr 22, 2023

satanic splash-back posted:

Then point of the dungeon is to check if you are ready for the next tier and if you need to be carried, then you are not

I got sick of caring about sacred gear when I could kill level 70 minibosses while I was 13 levels lower!

I haven't even bothered with many altars but when I do I'll make an alt and play through "fairly"

BaronVanAwesome
Sep 11, 2001

I will never learn the secrets of "Increased fake female boar sp..."

Never say never, buddy.
Now you know.
Now we all know.
so one thing I really like about diablo 4 is that there are normal humans as enemy types, it's interesting and adds a lot more options for the story to go/combat variation. HOWEVER

HOWEVER

it is absurd to an absolutely hilarious degree when like there's a little scripted event where 6 bandits and a guard in disguise jump you

MY DUDES, you just saw me blender a pack of like 18 balrogs of morgoth approximately 25 yards outside the gate that you stand beside

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer

BaronVanAwesome posted:

so one thing I really like about diablo 4 is that there are normal humans as enemy types, it's interesting and adds a lot more options for the story to go/combat variation. HOWEVER

HOWEVER

it is absurd to an absolutely hilarious degree when like there's a little scripted event where 6 bandits and a guard in disguise jump you

MY DUDES, you just saw me blender a pack of like 18 balrogs of morgoth approximately 25 yards outside the gate that you stand beside

Those same Balrogs politely bugger off if you initiate a conversation with a guy who misplaced his camel, they just act tough.

Pindakaas
Jul 8, 2003

I'm not a baby I'm a man! An Anchorman!

Tokubetsu posted:

Did you guys know that Diablo is spanish for Devil?

Uhm his name is Al'Diabolos.

Failboattootoot
Feb 6, 2011

Enough of this nonsense. You are an important mayor and this absurd contraption has wasted enough of your time.

Pindakaas posted:

This remains the funniest line in the game.

Tokubetsu
Dec 18, 2007

Love Is Not Enough

Pindakaas posted:

They had to give us his full name to explain why he isn't in the game
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aewNWXUV3rM

ZombieCrew
Apr 1, 2019
Wt5 was probably removed because everyone would hit 100 too fast.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
PSA: Anyone with an AMD GPU should update the drivers. The latest drivers got rid of a bunch of micro stuttering for me.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

Is there any way to determine yet what you could possible re-roll a stat into on a piece of gear?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr Beens
Dec 2, 2006

CAPT. Rainbowbeard posted:

If it's unable to find your license, would verifying the files in the Blizzard Launcher or however it is on PC work, maybe? Or reinstalling?

The can't find license error is all to do with their servers being borked, it has nothing to do with the install on your side.