Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gnome de plume
Sep 5, 2006

Hell.
Fucking.
Yes.

Tungsten posted:

And then, John was a Zombie.

Chills, even after all these years

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

!Klams
Dec 25, 2005

Squid Squad

Cleretic posted:

Yeah, if you were trying to find a 'voice' for an effective bit of Pokemon 'screw with the game fiction', I think the right angle isn't to go haunted, since that's been done, but rather to go glitchy. Not only because Pokemon is known to be glitchy so there's already some shared vocabulary and imagery, but also because as an RPG with a lot of both visible and invisible stats and numbers, there's a lot of dials to turn.

...actually, I feel like that'd make it work best as sort of an 'alien corruption' horror, like the Southern Reach books. Everything starts normal, but over time things start changing and becoming more and more unnatural. Not only fits what Pokemon would be capable of doing mechanically, but also narratively; a failing point of a lot of Pokemon creepypasta or horror fangames I've seen are them veering too hard into themes that just feel completely out of place in the world Pokemon's set up, but I could see Pokemon working well in that sort of vibe, the kind of horror that Doctor Who plays in every so often.

And damnit, now I've started thinking this'd be fun to actually do.

I think with pokemon, it would be cool to subtly suggest through glitches like the different pokemon have 'thoughts' going on behind the scenes, but it transpires it's just some kind of AI, that's meant to just serve the game functions. It seems to have a consciousness, but doesn't have a way to communicate. Like it's trapped in the game. I think these days, the idea that someone wrote an AI capable of thought and just used it to move pixels around is actually just plausible enough to work.

!Klams fucked around with this message at 10:50 on Jun 25, 2023

wizard2
Apr 4, 2022
I just want to sound off somewhere on the internet at least once on this, feel free to disregard:

so I dont care for haunted house stories or ghosts and I think House of Leaves is kind of stupid but long ago I made wads and the after a while the amount of "it... should not be doing this" technical wizardry in myhouse made me physically nauseated so yeah youre going to maybe miss out on some of that if you dont have the background

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

!Klams posted:

I think with pokemon, it would be cool to subtly suggest through glitches like the different pokemon have 'thoughts' going on behind the scenes, but it transpires it's just some kind of AI, that's meant to just serve the game functions. It seems to have a consciousness, but doesn't have a way to communicate. Like it's trapped in the game. I think these days, the idea that someone wrote an AI capable of thought and just used it to move pixels around is actually just plausible enough to work.

Reminder of one of the all time DF bugs

quote:

Quote from: leafbarrett

Something I've noticed, in Adventure mode at least, is that creatures' eyes constantly have a covering of tears, or at least the ones that can cry do; this is regardless of their emotional state, it seems like. I don't know if this helps at all, but it's something.

quote:

Quote from: IndigoFenix

They don't at first, until something triggers it, like seeing a dead body.  Sometimes though, it doesn't seem to stop.  This might be a bug

quote:

Quote from: Greiger on July 15, 2014, 01:37:16 am

In adventure mode your own character can cry.  But we do not notice unless we closely examine our inventories, and it does not stop them from doing horrible things.

It is confirmed, we are uncaring gods/goddesses taking complete control over some poor sap.  They see everything we make them do, they feel everything.  They watch under no control as we mercilessly butcher their neighbors and friends.  They cannot scream, all they can do is silently weep as the puppetmaster makes their arm swing the sword.

Toady One posted:

Greiger's is actually correct...  sadly enough.  The emotional circumstance processor is still turned on, with a randomly rolled up personality, but they can't express themselves or take control...  they can only cry.

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

Lunatic Sledge posted:

now SM64 Internal Plexus / B3313, there's a haircut you can set your watch to

What's this? A google leads me to a fandom wiki (ugh) are these one off mods or a genre of SM64 mods?

Your Uncle Dracula
Apr 16, 2023
https://romhacking.com/hack/b3313-super-mario-64-internal-plexus Spooky-ooky romhack.

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

Ah, thanks! "Hack based on the internal plexus theory" :lol:

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

That certainly sounds interesting. I probably won’t play it though since I know while people criticize the M64 camera system in the main game, it becomes a much worse problem in most hacks.

An Actual Princess
Dec 23, 2006

the mario 64 camera is perfect actually.

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

An Actual Princess posted:

the mario 64 camera is perfect actually.

I wouldn't go THAT far since there are a couple of places where it's a pain, but it was an amazing camera for the time, possibly the best 3D Camera before the era of standard twin-stick controllers, and holds up pretty well nigh on 30 years later. Considering the N64 was flooded with 3D Platformers with very bad cameras it's honestly all the more impressive.

And boy do a lot of Romhacks have problems with it...

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

I don’t have problems with it for vanilla, just hacks.

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar
Are there any good videos on myhouse's internal workings? There's that three-video series that goes over a lot of it, but I'm wondering if there's anything else.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Zamujasa posted:

Are there any good videos on myhouse's internal workings? There's that three-video series that goes over a lot of it, but I'm wondering if there's anything else.

There’s really not a lot more to be said. Because it’s GZDoom, the scripting is all comparatively simple - there’s no need for complicated voodoo doll stuff or mikoportals, for example. Explaining more of it (for example if you were curious how the artifacts work) would be a ZDoom/UDB tutorial basically, so you’d be looking at something like this: https://youtube.com/playlist?list=PL1cBWOFfRw5V69xdgxhmjVwaC1DfIvnwe

I guess you could read the Doomworld thread if you haven’t yet (assuming it didn’t get hidden because people got too into treating it like an ARG and started trying to dig up real life info, I know that got it locked).

If you want more details in general, keep an eye out in the middle of December. Doom’s birthday is on December 10th, and the annual community awards for best maps (the Cacowards) come out that day. If “veddge” is going to reveal some more details it’d probably happen with the award then. (We know whomever he is he has significant community ties, since he got Jimmy and Esselfortium to do music.)

e: the doomworld thread is open again https://www.doomworld.com/forum/topic/134292-myhousewad/

Arivia fucked around with this message at 06:22 on Jun 26, 2023

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Zamujasa posted:

This guy seems to have a good three videos on the specific setup
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Iq1-TZXz9xo
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fBhpF-4MK9o
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XaMNS9RSuAQ

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

SeANMcBAY posted:

I don’t have problems with it for vanilla, just hacks.

My guess is that the design approaches of SM64's worlds took the camera's limitations into account way more than romhackers do.

I don't have a lot of experience with SM64 hacks, but notice how interior spaces in 64 that aren't large corridors often stick to a fixed camera location and just pan around, likely because the 'free camera' they use for external spaces would be absolute hell.

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

Cleretic posted:

My guess is that the design approaches of SM64's worlds took the camera's limitations into account way more than romhackers do.

I don't have a lot of experience with SM64 hacks, but notice how interior spaces in 64 that aren't large corridors often stick to a fixed camera location and just pan around, likely because the 'free camera' they use for external spaces would be absolute hell.

This is definitely my observation. SM64's Camera gets noticeably worse when you actually have to do fine motions with it. Most stages have clearly designed camera viewpoints, and when you're manually asking the thing to do more than turn about 45 degrees from a decent panning shot it can struggle. It's absolutely at its worst in close quarters, hence why so many stages are or have big open playgrounds.

Superrodan
Nov 27, 2007
A video game hoax that drove me crazy as a kid because it was in an actual published book (By Jeff Rovin) about NES game secrets was the "Break the Backboard" code in Double Dribble. I would love to know if anyone data dumped it and found if they just got the code wrong everywhere, or if it never existed in the first place. I also know Double Dribble was originally an arcade game so maybe it existed there and they planned to port it over but never did.

I may have posted about this here before, I can't remember. But its one of those things where a book said something so I took it at face value and could never get it to work.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."
I feel like I got my hands on an "unofficial" SNES cheats book that contained some horseshit about a Super Mario Kart input that enabled you to play as The Maxx (of all things). Like even as a little kid I thought that was really weird, but it was in a book so it's got to be real even if I've tried to do it a hundred times and it hasn't worked yet, right?

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

I feel like I got my hands on an "unofficial" SNES cheats book that contained some horseshit about a Super Mario Kart input that enabled you to play as The Maxx (of all things). Like even as a little kid I thought that was really weird, but it was in a book so it's got to be real even if I've tried to do it a hundred times and it hasn't worked yet, right?

Sounds like someone who never went to Toad’s Outback

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

hell, nintendo's official cheat code page had the 'press down and b' pokemon tip

endocriminologist
May 17, 2021

SUFFERINGLOVER:press send + soul + earth lol
inncntsoul:ok

(inncntsoul has left the game)

ARCHON_MASTER:lol
MAMMON69:lol
Has anyone made a pokemon blue romhack that just incorporates all these dumb rumors like bills garden and mew under the truck etc? Someone who is good at pokemon romhacks do this tja

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

endocriminologist posted:

Has anyone made a pokemon blue romhack that just incorporates all these dumb rumors like bills garden and mew under the truck etc? Someone who is good at pokemon romhacks do this tja

why do a romhack when you can do it in a speedrun

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mCoQm8bIyyw&t=1482s

endocriminologist
May 17, 2021

SUFFERINGLOVER:press send + soul + earth lol
inncntsoul:ok

(inncntsoul has left the game)

ARCHON_MASTER:lol
MAMMON69:lol
Oh my god

Killer robot
Sep 6, 2010

I was having the most wonderful dream. I think you were in it!
Pillbug

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

A game magazine I saw in a department store once told me that with the right code you could play as Simon Belmont in the TMNT 2 game for NES I think it was. I think it was probably an April Fool's Day article but due to how stores stocked those things you never knew how old an issue was without checking.

studio mujahideen
May 3, 2005

Tunicate posted:

hell, nintendo's official cheat code page had the 'press down and b' pokemon tip

thats because its true. well holding b is. down is clearly superstition

Captain France
Aug 3, 2013

studio mujahideen posted:

thats because its true. well holding b is. down is clearly superstition

What you need to do is hold B exactly when the ball closes, wait for the second shake, then release it. It works perfectly every time, but the timing is incredibly precise and I can't get it reliably.

(I actually still do this, but more as a combination habit/minigame during an animation than anything.)

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Tunicate posted:

That does affect the catching RNG, though. Not in a, like, guaranteed beneficial way, though, the RNG just involves player input as a source of randomness. So without like, running it on an emulator frame by frame with memory watching you can't tell if you're helping or hurting your chances.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

Tunicate posted:

why do a romhack when you can do it in a speedrun

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mCoQm8bIyyw&t=1482s

They also did this with Ocarina of Time on a... much larger scale, which was very impressive.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PNbkv_DJ0f0

This one might be a bit more niche than Pokemon, because I feel like a lot of the gen 1 Pokemon rumors had much longer tails, while the OoT rumors kinda went quiet after it was no longer the 'newest big Zelda'.

Cleretic fucked around with this message at 16:02 on Jul 6, 2023

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock
I dislike that one a bit because it blurs the line between reactivating unused content and creating things from scratch

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

I think the coolest and most disappointing moment in game legends for me was me and my sister messing around with a gameshark for Ocarina. We managed to get into kid Zelda's map as adult Link, and you can dive into the pool there. We did so and went first person to look, and, oh my GOD! THE TRIFORCE IS HERE! But it kept flying to the right, out of our vision. Was incredibly confusing until we finally realized what was happening- in this body of water, when you go first person, it was pitch black because the texture layers didn't work right- what we were seeing was the texture for the Triforce of Courage when it appears on Link's hand, and it kept moving in the dark because it was Link's swimming hands paddling.

A Worrying Warlock
Sep 21, 2009

Black August posted:

I think the coolest and most disappointing moment in game legends for me was me and my sister messing around with a gameshark for Ocarina. We managed to get into kid Zelda's map as adult Link, and you can dive into the pool there. We did so and went first person to look, and, oh my GOD! THE TRIFORCE IS HERE! But it kept flying to the right, out of our vision. Was incredibly confusing until we finally realized what was happening- in this body of water, when you go first person, it was pitch black because the texture layers didn't work right- what we were seeing was the texture for the Triforce of Courage when it appears on Link's hand, and it kept moving in the dark because it was Link's swimming hands paddling.

You know what, I'm going to call it and say you got closer than most people. You got a triforce sighting! Sure, it was a camera glitch, but at least you saw SOMETHING.

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

Sobatchja Morda posted:

You know what, I'm going to call it and say you got closer than most people. You got a triforce sighting! Sure, it was a camera glitch, but at least you saw SOMETHING.

Yeah, it felt satisfying to drift in the water and just stare at the texture glowing. Turns out the real Triforce was inside of them all along.

R.L. Stine
Oct 19, 2007

welcome to dead gay dog house
There was a community of people ages ago making gameshark codes for, exclusively, the PS2 GTA games. It was actually really impressive at the time, they made codes that added collision to those big planes that always flew around and made them flyable. They had a ton of others too that I wish I remembered, all of them like 100 lines that you'd have to put in. They had some invisionfree forum that I also wish I remembered the name of

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva
I used to really like all the monster gameshark codes for No Mercy on the N64 that introduced new match types and made everything textured as barbed wire.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

I bought two NES game guides at a scholastic book fair and they were filled with so much made-up bullshit I stopped reading books for like four months.

The only one I remember was the page on Bubble Bobble. It was poo poo like "when a Bubble Bobble screen gets too hard, ride a big bubble to the next room."

Took me years to realize they meant the big bubble that carries you to the next room when you beat the room you're currently in. Fuckers.

Then there was a screenshot of the game's boss that said "when you meet the game's boss, you know what to do."

No the gently caress I don't, you rear end in a top hat! Fight him? Is that what you mean? Like, don't just put my controller down and let him kill me?

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

LividLiquid posted:

I bought two NES game guides at a scholastic book fair and they were filled with so much made-up bullshit I stopped reading books for like four months.

The only one I remember was the page on Bubble Bobble. It was poo poo like "when a Bubble Bobble screen gets too hard, ride a big bubble to the next room."

Took me years to realize they meant the big bubble that carries you to the next room when you beat the room you're currently in. Fuckers.

Then there was a screenshot of the game's boss that said "when you meet the game's boss, you know what to do."

No the gently caress I don't, you rear end in a top hat! Fight him? Is that what you mean? Like, don't just put my controller down and let him kill me?

Hrist
Feb 21, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
I forget which magazine it was exactly. But I remember one I had saying that if you beat one of the Metroid games fast enough you could see Samus nude. And I think they might have had a pic of the bikini version. So to this day I don't know if that was supposed to be the "nude" ending. Or if they were like, "If you think this is hot, just you wait, buddy!" I really want to go back and see what time they claimed it took.

Zetsubou-san
Jan 28, 2015

Cruel Bifaunidas demanded that you [stand]🧍 I require only that you [kneel]🧎

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

that might have been the cheat books version of a trap street

fun hater
May 24, 2009

its a neat trick, but you can only do it once
these guide stories are killing me. you could just say anything

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PKMN Trainer Red
Oct 22, 2007

fun hater posted:

these guide stories are killing me. you could just say anything