Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What is the most powerful flying bug?
This poll is closed.
🦋 15 3.71%
🦇 115 28.47%
🪰 12 2.97%
🐦 67 16.58%
dragonfly 94 23.27%
🦟 14 3.47%
🐝 87 21.53%
Total: 404 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

Everyone who isn't CIA raise your hands.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Weka
May 5, 2019

That child totally had it coming. Nobody should be able to be out at dusk except cars.
lol that traffic jam doesn't even have visible traffic at the start of it.

OhFunny posted:

The Chechens also spearheaded the drive into Severodonetsk and Lysychansk.

Overall from the limited information we have they seem like some of the most effective fighters of the SMO.

paul_soccer12
Jan 5, 2020

by Fluffdaddy
Free fizzy

Vernii
Dec 7, 2006

Ardennes posted:

I don't even think it is subterfuge, it was just a weird, ridiculous stunt. But, it really seems like the West bought it line and sinker.

I guess they saw how much the West was hanging on Pirgozhin's every word, no matter how ridiculous, they decided they would go for the big time. It must have gotten the government's approval, but I am sure Mishustin wasn't happy.

This is literally conspiracy-brained.

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

Vernii posted:

Oh cool the thread is starting to get Qpilled. Nothing can ever just be dumb and insane, everyone is always a rational actor operating on perfect information and anything that goes against this must by an op by "them".

It must be awesome to have a brain so smooth you reflexively scoff at ideas like "it's so weird it looks like it could have been coordinated." I wish i could live in such a world of wonders again

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

Vernii posted:

Hey man, this is cspam, it ain't D&D.

But yeah it is very clear the Chechens were just sitting there, and if the Chechens were also in on it, it means everyone with any real power was in it as well. It doesn't mean there wasn't some accident or friendly fire incident or whatever, but nothing from the videos suggests there was anyone the least bit concerned.

Ardennes has issued a correction as of 02:24 on Jun 26, 2023

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

I haven't seen anyone show evidence that a dumb person could pull of a military rebellion as badly as prigozhin did :colbert:

paul_soccer12
Jan 5, 2020

by Fluffdaddy

Vernii posted:

:synpa:

platzapS
Aug 4, 2007

Cut through the tangle of conjecture with one question: cui bono?

And you have one answer: Lukashenko.

platzapS has issued a correction as of 02:29 on Jun 26, 2023

Vernii
Dec 7, 2006

Son of Thunderbeast posted:

It must be awesome to have a brain so smooth you reflexively scoff at ideas like "it's so weird it looks like it could have been coordinated." I wish i could live in such a world of wonders again

None of that looked coordinated. It looked like an insane pileup of bad decisions that got defused at the last minute.

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

Vernii posted:

None of that looked coordinated. It looked like an insane pileup of bad decisions that got defused at the last minute.

Thanks for the definitive report, pseudonymous forums user Vernii

OctaMurk
Jun 21, 2013
putin and jefferey of yospos organized this event to re-energize the Forums, and it was successful given the excellent engagement over the weekend

paul_soccer12
Jan 5, 2020

by Fluffdaddy

Vernii posted:

The perfidious Russians are clearly masters of subterfuge

Unironically

Filthy Hans
Jun 27, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 10 years!)

CODChimera posted:

how do you even arrive at the logic that well wagner did it so ukraine can too?

https://twitter.com/DougJBalloon/status/1672937229478424577

paul_soccer12
Jan 5, 2020

by Fluffdaddy

Mods??????

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

conspiracy theories are just a rhetorical device, it's not really important if they're true or not it's about beating your enemies

Filthy Hans
Jun 27, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 10 years!)

sorry you feel left out, paul_soccer12

here's one just for you

https://twitter.com/DougJBalloon/status/1673011796750245891

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Centrist Committee
Aug 6, 2019

Frosted Flake posted:

tl;dr, liberal states can't mobilize and have spent a great deal of effort trying not to.

im starting to see it. I don’t quite have a handle on all the material threads but I can sort of see an arc of korea being necessary to install the permanent war economy, vietnam proving it to be unacceptably expensive to private capitalists (and forcing the neoliberal economic realignment), something about the establishment of the petrodollar, the discovery of the “technology” of imperial management by intelligence agency buying another few decades, then the real rot at the end of history with iraq i, ii, afghanistan, and now ukraine. the us losing to a resource nationalist “near peer” power must be driving beltway people insane.

Chillgamesh
Jul 29, 2014

I have ruminated on it and I've come to the conclusion that it's funnier if Prigozhin legitimately thought he could overthrow the Russian government and got talked down by the Big Man of Belarus

So that's what I'll believe

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

heres the thing: we dont actually know poo poo

The Atomic Man-Boy
Jul 23, 2007

Lostconfused posted:

I can't be CIA, I don't have the money or the drugs to be CIA.

Money no, drugs yes

lumpentroll
Mar 4, 2020

Filthy Hans posted:

sorry you feel left out, paul_soccer12

here's one just for you

https://twitter.com/DougJBalloon/status/1673011796750245891

shut the gently caress up

speng31b
May 8, 2010

drat I typoed the probe reason. oh well, that is what pitchbot deserves in terms of effort

breathing aids
Jun 22, 2023

by vyelkin

Ardennes posted:

Hey man, this is cspam, it ain't D&D.

But yeah it is very clear the Chechens were just sitting there, and if the Chechens were also in on it, it means everyone with any real power was in it as well. It doesn't mean there wasn't some accident or friendly fire incident or whatever, but nothing from the videos suggests there was anyone the least bit concerned.

Maybe they were scared stiff by wagner’s magical pantsir that can hit targets at 60km.

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

CODChimera posted:

heres the thing: we dont actually know poo poo

It doesn't seem like anyone does, so might as well go for it.

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

Even if someone out there leaked the real story, nobody would believe it anyway.

In practice though nothing happened besides an epic day of posting.

speng31b
May 8, 2010

Vernii posted:

Oh cool the thread is starting to get Qpilled. Nothing can ever just be dumb and insane, everyone is always a rational actor operating on perfect information and anything that goes against this must by an op by "them".

Oh I forgot you're the "it's good for the west if we make russians bleed" guy

Vernii posted:

Lol if you think I'm being pro-Russian, I'm pro-neutrality. Give Ukraine weapons and intelligence, donation drives, etc, absolutely. The Russians having to bleed for their prize is good for the west.

Vernii posted:

Because Russian imperialism needs to feel consequences, and if the war had gone well for them (3 days to Kyiv, total surrender, etc like they were expecting) it would embolden the revanchist faction of the Russian foreign policy establishment to press their luck with the Baltics next. Additionally nations have a right to self defense so its good to see an aggressor getting its nose bloodied by what it thought would be easy prey.

Its terrible that Ukrainians are dying but the Russians started this imperialist war so the moral responsibility for deaths falls on them. I have zero sympathy for Russian casualties.

Cuttlefush
Jan 15, 2014

gotta have my purp

speng31b posted:

Lol

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Centrist Committee posted:

im starting to see it. I don’t quite have a handle on all the material threads but I can sort of see an arc of korea being necessary to install the permanent war economy, vietnam proving it to be unacceptably expensive to private capitalists (and forcing the neoliberal economic realignment), something about the establishment of the petrodollar, the discovery of the “technology” of imperial management by intelligence agency buying another few decades, then the real rot at the end of history with iraq i, ii, afghanistan, and now ukraine. the us losing to a resource nationalist “near peer” power must be driving beltway people insane.

There are two interesting phenomena that happened between Korea and Vietnam, though I'm not sure exactly how they're related -

The number of soldiers who suffered severe lower-limb injuries and even amputation in the Vietnam War was about 300 per cent higher than during the Second World War and 70 per cent higher than during the Korean War, while multiple amputations had to be carried out three times more often than in the Second World War. While I'm fuzzy on that math, it means that Korea saw a huge increase in amputations from the Second World War also. The literature says that even before televised images of war, which everybody blames for Vietnam's unpopularity, encountering the wounded meant that civilian populations could never been entirely shielded from the impact of fighting. Governments throughout the 20th century tried to find a way to manage this, because wounded soldiers and disabled veterans are demoralizing, but you can't not give them medical leave or let them return home to their families.

As historian Marilyn Young has argued, the Korean War was a ‘hard sell’ from start to finish. Truman’s administration worried constantly that Americans, barely recovered from the epic mobilization of the Second World War and disappointments of postwar adjustment, would refuse to accept the costs of a war so far away and of such doubtful centrality to American interests. Political scientist John Mueller contends that public disapproval of the Korean War mounted in lock-step with rising casualties. Support decreased by 15 per cent every time casualties rose by a factor of ten, prefiguring a pattern apparent again in Vietnam.

Scholars agree that Korea was, from a fairly early stage, an unpopular war. It garnered progressively less American civilian approbation as rapid reversals of military fortune on the Korean peninsula in 1950 and early 1951 gave way to protracted stalemate. For over 18 months, fitful armistice negotiations remained deadlocked over the issue of prisoner repatriation. In an unorthodox departure from the Geneva Conventions, President Truman insisted that POWs must be allowed to reject repatriation to their country of origin at the war’s end. In other words, as many contemporary observers beheld it, the war was prolonged interminably in order that communist prisoners could enjoy this unprecedented right of refusal – while GIs’ lives continued to be lost (as, of course, were Chinese and Korean lives together with those of other UN allies). The logic of Truman’s stance, while consistent with his administration’s broader commitment to inspiring defection from the Eastern Bloc, was hardly calculated to stem the rising tide of popular dissatisfaction at home.

So what I'm thinking is that the permanent war economy was desirable to them, but the consequences of it were not. Before Korea over half of US Army spending was on personnel. Since Vietnam, that number has been as low as under 30% and most often under 50%. Which is part MIC, obviously, and I think part consciously trying any tool but infantrymen as much as they can.

Gulping Again
Mar 10, 2007

speng31b posted:

chainprobe him back to D&D

Egg Moron
Jul 21, 2003

the dreams of the delighting void

Yeah, I know a thing or two about the C I A

Cum

In my

rear end

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

OctaMurk posted:

if a bunch tanks were driving around id cheer for them, dont care who they are. that is what it means to be a tankie.
watching chairman milley roll the tanks towards the clowns in washington. *salute* god bless you sir

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

Два майора posted:

Antonovsky Bridge, our bank of the Dnieper. Kherson region

The enemy has been holding a small bridgehead on our shore for at least three days. The units of the Russian Armed Forces withdrew from the area, as the constant action of enemy artillery and the enemy's MTR posed a threat to the encirclement of our forces. They retreated with battles, neighboring units came to the rescue. As a result of the fighting, the Russian Armed Forces suffered losses.

At 18:00, the enemy forces of up to 50 people are operating on our territory, at night they are building up the group and supplying it with ammunition and technical means. Tries to expand the control area. The short distance on the water (up to 1 km) does not allow for rapid artillery strikes on high-speed enemy boats.

On our shore, the enemy has mobile electronic warfare installations, our FPV drone operators could not complete the task of striking: loss of communication.

The request of aviation to strike the roadbed of the base of the bridge on our and the enemy's shore, which the enemy uses as cover from artillery and mortars, turned out to be unanswered due to the complexity of passing information.

Actions on the ground by motorized rifle units of the Russian Armed Forces will certainly cause dense enemy artillery fire from its shore. The enemy forces themselves will be in shelters under the bridge.

The troops are asking for a FAB strike on the foundations of the Antonovsky Bridge from both sides.

Two majors
(from t.me/dva_majors/19371, via tgsa)

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
It's only a bridge they don't need f16s, send in the i153 chaikas.

Ardennes
May 12, 2002
The issue with leg and foot injuries was a mine/trap issue?

Also, US military personnel pay and benefits was 23% in 2018 which shows how much the worm has turned in that regard. I believe that included Tri-care as well which absolutely ate a big chunk of that as well.

Weka
May 5, 2019

That child totally had it coming. Nobody should be able to be out at dusk except cars.

Vernii posted:

You are literally hamburger brained. You love America. gently caress you for supporting the greatest evil in existence.

Weka
May 5, 2019

Ardennes posted:

The issue with leg and foot injuries was a mine/trap issue?

Also, US military personnel pay and benefits was 23% in 2018 which shows how much the worm has turned in that regard. I believe that included Tri-care as well which absolutely ate a big chunk of that as well.

Poop sticks ftw

breathing aids
Jun 22, 2023

by vyelkin

Weka posted:

You are literally hamburger brained. You love America. gently caress you for supporting the greatest evil in existence.

Second Hand Meat Mouth
Sep 12, 2001

Vernii posted:

do you think Jan 6 was a coup

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007

Weka posted:

lol