Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

DEEP STATE PLOT posted:

nothing in below zero is actually a threat at all so that'd just be a useless module

Well, further to my point, the game should have been more expansive and dangerous so that those modules are needed.

The absolutely best way to make one of these games, and OG SN hits this pretty hard, is that you make these challenges that seem insurmountable, and they might actually BE insurmountable... unless you discover a tool or ability. And maybe with a poo poo load of effort, you could get around these challenges without the ability/tool. And getting that tool or ability should require work, but once it's attained/developed, it makes any previous challenge a joke.

Take eating in the OG SN for example. It's a really small version of what I'm talking about, but it still applies; you hunt for food, maybe you starve a few times when trying to learn the ropes... Then maybe you get the grav trap... But then eventually, you're harvesting melons and you have a water filtration system. That all took a lot of work, BUT food/water is essentially a non-issue, which is part of your reward for developing better methods of food/water gathering.

It really does do it perfectly. It's a shame that BZ didn't quite hit that mark.

I'd be cool with SN3 (or is it going to be considered SN2?) being a grander version of 1, but I can certainly understand Unknown Worlds not wanting to just remake the first game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Promethium
Dec 31, 2009
Dinosaur Gum
Well, this was certainly an interesting month to start playing Subnautica. I finished the first game with a bit over 40 hours of playtime. Great experience, mostly unspoiled (apart from a couple screenshots of bases in deeper areas when I was searching for building hints), my only regret is that I didn't really use the Cyclops at any point. The Seamoth was good enough for overworld exploration and the Prawn felt a lot more maneuverable down in the depths, so I ended up only making a couple runs with the Cyclops to shuttle supplies between my bases, on one of which I accidentally rammed and flooded a base. Plus it seemed very power-hungry if I turned on the extra upgrades.

Scariest moment was during my first exploration of the Lost River, I went in from the bloodvine trench side, dodged some river prowlers and a ghost leviathan and somehow ended up at the deep Degasi base which was being patrolled by the first crabsquid I ever saw, nearly got the Seamoth destroyed by it as I was scanning inside the base, and then made a completely blind run for the surface while being chased by the crabsquid, a warper that had come in from somewhere, and another ghost leviathan. Never went back to that area again.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

The thing I'm most disappointed with is (SN enemy spoilers) the Warper. They look scary, they make scary messages show up, they apparently killed everyone else and are hunting you, and yet the only mild terror I felt from them was when they warped me out of my seamoth when I was too close to a Reaper.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

warpers are just fundamentally godawful enemies from a gameplay perspective

Complications
Jun 19, 2014

I don't get why their stupid gimmick of dismounting the player and doing little else was brought back for Below Zero, but apparently the developers like that set of mechanics.

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!
I imagine warpers were originally much more threatening, but play testing revealed being dismounted and stun locked was not fun.

Hannibal Rex
Feb 13, 2010
Some random thoughts:

I think I loved the low-tech free diving, scrambling-for-resources stage of the game the most. It reminds me of the time I spent several weeks diving to find my lost wedding band.

I think the camera drones were under-used. Sending utility ROVs into areas that are too deep/dangerous/toxic, etc. could be expanded into a bigger part of the gameplay progression. I have this sequence in my head about being stuck in a failing base without the gear to safely go outside, and having to use ROVs to gather the resources you need before your oxygen and or power runs out, and/or having to repair breaches, unlocking further sections, etc. from the outside with them.

Is it possible to build bases at the ceiling of underwater caves? I don't think I ever tried it.

I'll be seriously disappointed if there aren't any Peter Watts and David Mace easter eggs in the next game.

That game is hopefully already past the need for inspiration stage, but check out Red Leviathan: The Secret History of Soviet Whaling for a ton of stuff that could be adapted to a dystopian aquatic sci-fi setting.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー

Hannibal Rex posted:

I think I loved the low-tech free diving, scrambling-for-resources stage of the game the most.

Agreed! I feel the 'best' vehicle was the SeaGlide for mostly that reason. The SeaMoth was potent as heck as it trivialized the O2 loop, only to be seen again for Wreck Diving (which to be fair is stressful in a good way). There's a lot of magic about having to care that a shark might take a nip out of you or does that coral have spikes on it? etc. The Cyclops is a transformative experience again but I'm ok with it as it's very ponderous so it's more of a mobile base than a dart-about that replaces freediving, which is where most of the early game magic was happening and the Seamoth took away.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Did you find the ring??

Hannibal Rex
Feb 13, 2010

Bad Munki posted:

Did you find the ring??

After about five weeks. Someone was kind enough to lend me a small underwater metal detector, after that it was just a matter of perseverance. (Very abridged.)

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007
GOAT sea

Dyz
Dec 10, 2010
If you like the free cave diving parts of the game BZ has more of them and (imo) better ones. You actually have to get uncomfortably far from your vehicle and they introduced oxygen plants to encourage you to go further into caves without dying.

Talorat
Sep 18, 2007

Hahaha! Aw come on, I can't tell you everything right away! That would make for a boring story, don't you think?

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

Take eating in the OG SN for example. It's a really small version of what I'm talking about, but it still applies; you hunt for food, maybe you starve a few times when trying to learn the ropes... Then maybe you get the grav trap... But then eventually, you're harvesting melons and you have a water filtration system. That all took a lot of work, BUT food/water is essentially a non-issue, which is part of your reward for developing better methods of food/water gathering.

What's great is that once you manage to overcome one challenge, the game will present you with a new one. You constantly feel like you're making progress but the game never becomes trivial. Subnautica is great about this, as is Raft. A lot of survival games are NOT.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

ikanreed posted:

I imagine warpers were originally much more threatening, but play testing revealed being dismounted and stun locked was not fun.

remove their ability to teleport you, make them largely silent until they are very close, up their damage substantially and rename them

as is they are just very, very irritating and not actually threatening

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

that an alien race would be psychologically human.

it's unfortunate that they never fixed or improved the pop in

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

The thing I'm most disappointed with is (SN enemy spoilers) the Warper. They look scary, they make scary messages show up, they apparently killed everyone else and are hunting you, and yet the only mild terror I felt from them was when they warped me out of my seamoth when I was too close to a Reaper.

The spooky messages were probably overboard. Both because it was such a big step up in the game directly threatening you in a way that the game was unwilling or unable to follow up on, and also it doesn't really dovetail with the storytelling in any of the escape pods.

Complications posted:

I don't get why their stupid gimmick of dismounting the player and doing little else was brought back for Below Zero, but apparently the developers like that set of mechanics.

Did they? I don't remember that in Below Zero.

Ryoga
Sep 10, 2003
Eternally Lost

SlothfulCobra posted:

The spooky messages were probably overboard. Both because it was such a big step up in the game directly threatening you in a way that the game was unwilling or unable to follow up on, and also it doesn't really dovetail with the storytelling in any of the escape pods.

Did they? I don't remember that in Below Zero.

This confuses me too. The closest I can recall of this happening to me was the sea monkeys stealing your tools in the early game before they start helping you instead.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
The Ice Wurm knocked you off of your Snowfox and not much else.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Serephina posted:

The Ice Wurm knocked you off of your Snowfox and not much else.

Lol if you used the lovely snowfox and didn’t just stomp through on a prawn.

Dyz
Dec 10, 2010

DEEP STATE PLOT posted:

remove their ability to teleport you, make them largely silent until they are very close, up their damage substantially and rename them

To Fades :v:

Complications
Jun 19, 2014

Cartoon Man posted:

I am a dumb goon, yes, and got lured in by zoom hover bike thinking that the fun of it was juuuuuust around the corner because it seemed like such a cool thing.

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!

DEEP STATE PLOT posted:

as is they are just very, very irritating and not actually threatening

That's annoying too because Subnautica doesn't actually want you to die. It wants you to be afraid of dying. An enemy that takes half your life without you knowing what was happening isn't fun.

What warpers really needed was a sense of sudden overwhelming risk. The "patrol idly in most deep places" does several things wrong

1. It detracts from the narrative that they're actively hunting you by being everywhere, and not following if they do see you
2. It means they can't be "on all the time" because then when you pass those areas, they become incredibly annoying.
3. It limits how scary warping can be to merely getting you out of your sub.

My fix:

Have a visually distinct scout unit that occasionally teleports near you, at a rate proportional to plot advancement. It gives some very audible and visible "I'm scanning you" effects. If you break LOS, it teleports away. If you don't, warpers, plural, start teleporting in and actively pursuing you for a while.

Not sure how to make that play nice with the cyclops.

Mike the TV
Jan 14, 2008

Ninety-nine ninety-nine ninety-nine

Pillbug

ikanreed posted:

Give the Warpers their own Cyclops that chases you around.

Complications
Jun 19, 2014

ikanreed posted:

Have a visually distinct scout unit that occasionally teleports near you, at a rate proportional to plot advancement. It gives some very audible and visible "I'm scanning you" effects. If you break LOS, it teleports away. If you don't, warpers, plural, start teleporting in and actively pursuing you for a while.

Not just LOS. Have the scout unit home in on 'power emissions' or whatnot. It'll track you from further away if you're using a Sea Glide or have the lights on in a Sea Moth or what have you so in a similar way it incentivizes you to learn to turn off the Cyclops in response to threats, which cues the player on how to handle a nearby Leviathan. The punishment for not doing that is that the Warpers pop in and start damaging the submarine the way it's implied that they damaged the other escape pods that transmitted on their radios (the spawn pod's radio is broken even after repair, so that's why they never got a good bead on the player's position). Basically, an intro to Cyclops Leviathan mechanics. Play opossum, they go away.

Also, since only Leviathans can damage the Cyclops, this makes Warpers way more menacing in comparison to where they are now that they can hurt your biggest boat.

Parallelwoody
Apr 10, 2008

I tried to do a run where I didn't kill any fish but that ended pretty quickly since donking off the seamoth glass kills em. Now anything annoying that gets too close to my base gets the grapplehook and drill arm treatment.

SugarAddict
Oct 11, 2012

Cartoon Man posted:

Prawn suit in subnautica below zero is the way to play. Enemies? punch them. ice-worm? punch them. Polar wolf things? punch them. More storage? you have that.
Also, Punch everything.

Comrade Koba
Jul 2, 2007

Serephina posted:

Agreed! I feel the 'best' vehicle was the SeaGlide for mostly that reason. The SeaMoth was potent as heck as it trivialized the O2 loop, only to be seen again for Wreck Diving (which to be fair is stressful in a good way). There's a lot of magic about having to care that a shark might take a nip out of you or does that coral have spikes on it? etc. The Cyclops is a transformative experience again but I'm ok with it as it's very ponderous so it's more of a mobile base than a dart-about that replaces freediving, which is where most of the early game magic was happening and the Seamoth took away.

Agreed 100%. The Seamoth basically removes or trivializes all potential threats in the early, mid- and even part of the late game. It has effectively infinite oxygen supply, is small enough to bring into caves and narrow crevices and is fast enough to outrun all mobile threats. Even if something gets the drop on you, it can withstand enough damage for you to effortlessly zoom out of danger.

My ideal SN2 would feature an upgradeable Seaglide as the baseline vehicle for the entire game, with any potential additional vehicles being for specific use cases (Prawn for >1000m exploration, possibly some variant of the Seatruck focused on resource gathering, etc).

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007
I hate the prawn and I'm not afraid to say it. Seamoth forever.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Still think about how much cooler the Cyclops was than the Seatruck, even if it wasn't as practical

Comte de Saint-Germain
Mar 26, 2001

Snouk but and snouk ben,
I find the smell of an earthly man,
Be he living, or be he dead,
His heart this night shall kitchen my bread.
Anyone here played Forever Skies yet? It's still in EA but they just opened it up for sale/play. It's got some Subnautica vibes, though it's clearly not doing exactly the same thing. It sorta feels like *just* the Cyclops portions of Subnautica. You fly an airship over a ruined earth, setting down on the tops of ruined skyscrapers and stuff. The airship is fully customizable and it seemss like you could do a lot of stuff with it. I'm still pretty early on so I don't feel comfortable giving it my full endorsement, but so far at least... :thumbsup:

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

They tapdance not, neither do they fart

Comte de Saint-Germain posted:

Anyone here played Forever Skies yet? It's still in EA but they just opened it up for sale/play. It's got some Subnautica vibes, though it's clearly not doing exactly the same thing. It sorta feels like *just* the Cyclops portions of Subnautica. You fly an airship over a ruined earth, setting down on the tops of ruined skyscrapers and stuff. The airship is fully customizable and it seemss like you could do a lot of stuff with it. I'm still pretty early on so I don't feel comfortable giving it my full endorsement, but so far at least... :thumbsup:

I've been watching Spanj play it.
I played the demo and it felt a little lacking.
I'm still on the table getting it. I mean I likely will.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u_Oj8jkZJbY
Playlist https://youtu.be/u_Oj8jkZJbY?list=PLeXxYGyW3yFSFU9OJtgCEOEWcMKuRMDyJ

OgNar fucked around with this message at 22:24 on Jun 26, 2023

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

I read some of the early access reviews and they say it shows promise but hasn’t got a lot of content yet. Needs more love from the dev team.

Shit Fuckasaurus
Oct 14, 2005

i think right angles might be an abomination against nature you guys
Lipstick Apathy
Just finished Subnautica yesterday. I felt the ending was weak. I was spoiled on the core parts of the game (releasing the cure and curing yourself) but not the context, so it was a bit jarring to go from exploring and discovering PDAs and piecing the story together to the first sapient being you encounter infodumping on you, then explicitly providing the recipe necessary to end the game. Also the final recipe might have been a bit lovely, I guess? I had collected every plant I had seen, so I had them all, but if you didn't it might have felt a bit like misdirection since they're all otherwise useless. None of this is much of a problem, as I didn't play the game for the story.

The building is fun, if limited. I built Scanner Rooms in a roughly triangular pattern over much of the surface biomes and down through the Lost River and lava zones because I didn't like manually searching for ores, and I do recommend that if searching for ore is not your bag. Trivializing finding resources didn't seem to hurt the experience much for me though, since it meant I did have to keep notes on which base could see which ores and spend considerable time traveling between them and actually collecting the resources.

As for vehicles, Seamoth Supremacy, would have used it through endgame if allowed. The Cyclops is also a good time, awful to do anything resembling precise maneuvering in (so the moment it becomes necessary you're expected to be actually good at driving it) but being able to carry a base minus scanner room is a considerable advantage. The Cyclops is a combat vehicle in a non-combat game, so if you want to punch fish I understand the draw, but otherwise the default arms are extremely finicky at picking up loose resources to the point where I lost interest and until I got to 900 feet I did not use it for anything but punches. The Grapple/Drill combo makes gathering large resource chunks alright, but the grapple range and projectile speed are both so low that I was falling from the ceiling about as often as I was spider-manning across caverns.

Game's also got bugs like whoa, or decisions so strange they read as bugs. (Late game mob spoilers) The Sea Dragon Leviathans, River Prowlers, Crabsquid and Lava Lizards (basically every aggressive mob in the cave system) all travel through walls with no fanfare. There is also a single Ampeel who sometimes voyages through multiple solid walls to hang out in the Disease Research Facility containment room. The Stalker does this too, but more rarely and it seems to go directly at them more often so it might be intended as like a "hiding in a hole" thing, but the Sea Dragon Leviathan outside of the Primary Containment Facility in particular will sometimes just hang out halfway inside the wall to the right, and sometimes he'll even go chill just inside it. This wall has a texture issue that allows you to clip the camera through and see him while he does this, and he's not in any idle state, just doin' regular mob poo poo, sometimes even shooting fireballs so i suspect something might be wrong. Hostility is also all over the place, I didn't get attacked by any Sea Dragon Leviathan until I had ended the game, and I drove both the Cyclops and Prawn right past the one outside the Primary Containment Facility without violence, but then post-game one of the ones in the Active Lava Zone snuck up behind me while I was unloading my Prawn storage, killed me, then murdered my Prawn. Maybe the one just isn't aggressive? I've noticed that one of the Ghost Reapers in the Lost River never aggros unless you directly ahead of him again not sure if intentional or weird bug. I also got the "Reaper grabs Seamoth, teleports it 40 feet above the sea for no reason where it hangs forever" bug on this playthrough the only time I brought a Seamoth near a Reaper, and I've noticed non-hostile mobs clip through the Cyclops when it's stopped and clip into bases reasonably frequently, and I've clipped into (and fortunately out of) wreck walls or wreck debris on several occasions. I did not play with mods so I can't attribute this behavior to that, and I have a modern rig so I doubt it was starved for resources.

All I know about Below Zero is that Marg the Merc is back in some context, and the Snow Fox apparently sucks poo poo. I'll actively avoid further spoilers and buy it at the next sale and maybe I can post my playthrough here.

Shit Fuckasaurus fucked around with this message at 03:59 on Jun 28, 2023

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed

Plastik posted:

Just finished Subnautica yesterday. I felt the ending was weak. I was spoiled on the core parts of the game (releasing the cure and curing yourself) but not the context, so it was a bit jarring to go from exploring and discovering PDAs and piecing the story together to the first sapient being you encounter infodumping on you, then explicitly providing the recipe necessary to end the game. Also the final recipe might have been a bit lovely, I guess? I had collected every plant I had seen, so I had them all, but if you didn't it might have felt a bit like misdirection since they're all otherwise useless. None of this is much of a problem, as I didn't play the game for the story.

I agree I would have been perfectly happy if all the plants for the cure had been in the pool area. I don't find the lava zone, particularly fun, and by the time I'm ready to get the things for the cure I don't need an additional gameplay loop where I search for plants I barely remember exist

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
The portals all lead directly to those plants. Except the special one, which is there.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー

Oasx posted:

I agree I would have been perfectly happy if all the plants for the cure had been in the pool area. I don't find the lava zone, particularly fun, and by the time I'm ready to get the things for the cure I don't need an additional gameplay loop where I search for plants I barely remember exist

The ultra-secret part of all that is: that all the requested plants are actually quite close, as all the teleporters to hiding-in-plain-sight surface bases will each lead to one of the plants/correct biomes. It's very elegant!

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!
I accidentally spoiled some of the endgame for myself reading about the game before I played it, so when I reached the Sea Emperor I already knew a bit of what was going to happen, and one I realized that the manner of its reveal is exactly meant to look like an endgame boss about to start beating your rear end as a fakeout right before it just tells you how happy it is to see you I kinda realized I had cheated myself of a nice little twist.

Promethium
Dec 31, 2009
Dinosaur Gum
About 15 hours into Below Zero and I have yet to find a good place to put a main base. The lifepod area is too shallow, the radio tower island is central enough but surrounded by predators and not very visually appealing underwater, and the lily pads and vent areas are pretty but practically at the edge of the map. There's a stretch of kelp between the lifepod and the robotics base that I tried settling at, but the nearby jellyfish loved humping the structures and making it a hassle to move around. Maybe I'll find some deeper cavern later on.

Plot spoilers: So far this voice is acting way too nice for a species whose previous commandment was 'nuke everything in orbit' so I'm curious if it's going to pull something once I build the body.

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Fear is the glue that holds society together. It's what makes people suppress their worst impulses. Fear is power.

And at the end of fear, oblivion.

Promethium posted:

About 15 hours into Below Zero and I have yet to find a good place to put a main base. The lifepod area is too shallow, the radio tower island is central enough but surrounded by predators and not very visually appealing underwater, and the lily pads and vent areas are pretty but practically at the edge of the map. There's a stretch of kelp between the lifepod and the robotics base that I tried settling at, but the nearby jellyfish loved humping the structures and making it a hassle to move around. Maybe I'll find some deeper cavern later on.

Plot spoilers: So far this voice is acting way too nice for a species whose previous commandment was 'nuke everything in orbit' so I'm curious if it's going to pull something once I build the body.

There's really one good area to build a base IMO: the twisty bridges, facing the heat vents toward the sunken ship

lots of room, great vistas for base-building, no leviathans, reasonably centralized.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tom Tucker
Jul 19, 2003

I want to warn you fellers
And tell you one by one
What makes a gallows rope to swing
A woman and a gun

This whole thread opening a big can of cope branded “actually I liked using the Prawn Suit on the surface making everything take 10x longer and it wasn’t just because I couldn’t get a hang for the SnowFox controls. Also unrelated but the above water sections took sooooo long clearly bad design”