Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Buck Wildman)

Hatebag
Jun 17, 2008

Al! posted:

ocelot is the protagonist of the metal gear solid series, not snake

He's there for the whole thing but he's never actually the protagonist because he's always just someone's puppet
Perhaps he only exists to propel big boss's genes to the future

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy

Buck Wildman posted:

like a dozen metal gears took on pre-borg raiden and lost so color me unimpressed

Although that boss room is done up like a VR Missions room so who can say

Hatebag
Jun 17, 2008

Revolve'er ocelot??? I barely knew 'er!!

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:

Hatebag posted:

He's there for the whole thing but he's never actually the protagonist because he's always just someone's puppet
Perhaps he only exists to propel big boss's genes to the future

he's the forrest gump of the series

Hatebag
Jun 17, 2008

Al! posted:

he's the forrest gump of the series

Konami should definitely get kojima back to figure out the raquel welch/orangutan/spaceship part of metal gear

Antonymous
Apr 4, 2009

Al! posted:

yes, and no

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

I like that almost all of the units in BAR look like the OTA ones filtered through a different art style and and have similar but different names. And then the basic T3 bots are almost 1:1 a Vulture, Owns and Catapult. The Catapult is even just named Catapult.

Why go through all of that effort to be off brand TA and then just rip poo poo from Battletech

Antonymous
Apr 4, 2009

the first 6 metal gear games were pretty on track building a world and characters

metal gear
metal gear 2
metal gear solid
metal gear solid 2
metal gear solid 3
metal gear solid portable ops

and then metal gear solid 4 kinda hosed around too much with Naomi Vamp Meryl... the beauties... and especially Zero/Cypher. But the ocelot stuff was good

Peace Walker (do over of portable ops)
Rising: Reveangance
Ground Zeros

all good. and then metal gear solid V which was a real mixed bag narratively but mostly bad. except ocelot again and Kaz I guess. Liquid and psycho mantis that's ok maybe. best gameplay tho it needed more bases

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

System shock owns

Real Mean Queen
Jun 2, 2004

Zesty.

Is portable ops worth checking out? I've been going through peace walker again on the deck and having a great time with it, definitely open to another smaller metal gear

Cuttlefush
Jan 15, 2014

gotta have my purp

Real Mean Queen posted:

Is portable ops worth checking out? I've been going through peace walker again on the deck and having a great time with it, definitely open to another smaller metal gear

it has a top tier song and some good boss fights. worth checking out/emulating. the ppssppss emulator thing i think even has working multiplayer for it and some upscaling/higher texture patches?

Antonymous
Apr 4, 2009

iirc it is worse than peace walker gameplay wise but also has the recruitment mechanic, but without fulton so you have to drag people off the levels. its good to play it first since peace walker is a refinement and more zany.

Peace walker was basically made to replace it because kojima didn't direct portable ops and also kojima's kid was making fun of him for not inventing monster hunter

storywise it has a few characters return from mgs3 and it shows how Campbell and Frank Jaeger (Grey Fox (Cyborg Ninja)) met Big Boss

Antonymous has issued a correction as of 04:33 on Jun 26, 2023

the milk machine
Jul 23, 2002

lick my keys
im only just getting the gang together but ff6 is really neat, the art and music in the remaster is great

never played this one back in the day so it’s fun

Cuttlefush
Jan 15, 2014

gotta have my purp

the milk machine posted:

im only just getting the gang together but ff6 is really neat, the art and music in the remaster is great

just you wait...

Buddykins
Feb 12, 2011

Buck Wildman posted:

I believe in you

Buddykins
Feb 12, 2011

Al! posted:

which snake

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

is d4 working again i was forced to play more totk today and the game was like congrats you get a mech!! and i was like :fap: oooo sweeet :fap: but then i tried doing combat with it in a long slog of a mission>boss fight it makes u do and it controls like a friggin edf gimmick stage and does less damage than my sword gently caress this

aw frig aw dang it
Jun 1, 2018

the milk machine posted:

it's dope as hell, glad you're having fun

Buddykins
Feb 12, 2011

i remember the mgs 4 database you could download on ps3 when mgs 4 came out and the amount of background detailed read like ridiculous fan fiction lol metal gear owns

Mr. Sharps
Jul 30, 2006

The only true law is that which leads to freedom. There is no other.

Real hurthling! posted:

is d4 working again i was forced to play more totk today and the game was like congrats you get a mech!! and i was like :fap: oooo sweeet :fap: but then i tried doing combat with it in a long slog of a mission>boss fight it makes u do and it controls like a friggin edf gimmick stage and does less damage than my sword gently caress this

it’s a mech, give it a gun or two

Buddykins
Feb 12, 2011

the patriots are basically everyone that goes to the bohemian grove irl

trevorreznik
Apr 22, 2023
Ocelot works for big boss, naked snake, liquid, solidus and the Patriots simultaneously. Then he lies about using self hypnosis because he's ashamed he got possessed by a ghost

Buddykins
Feb 12, 2011

he's not possessed he just bullshits himself because he's already upset that his one true love Big Boss is beyond his reach

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

Buddykins posted:

which snake

exactly

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

the real snake eater.... was ocelot

Buddykins
Feb 12, 2011

:ocelot:

Buddykins
Feb 12, 2011

didnt ocelot kiss old snake during the final fight in mgs 4 lol it all makes sense now

Buddykins
Feb 12, 2011

I like how Master Miller went from being a minor off character in the first to a major player in the entire series

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

Homeless Friend posted:

steam sale is the 29th... mf's better have fromsoft games on sale

oh drat I was hoping it was Monday.

anyways they definitely will. Elden Ring was even on a weak sale during Winter iirc

Popy
Feb 19, 2008

ocelot just wanted senpai to notice him(Big Boss)

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry
I actually haven't really bought anything from a major Steam Summer/Winter sale in a few years. they've been kinda weak compared to the glory days of Steam coal circa 2011

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

KirbyKhan posted:

When Fallout 76 launched the mic was hot by default. You couldn't change the settings till you were done with character creation, so it was just me and another guy unexpectedly speaking to each other for like 20 minutes while I was making my dude. His girlfriend said hi over the mic. It was surreal. Then I played the videogame and like chatted 3 times total over a 120 hr playthrough.

76 is so loving baffling because it has all these coop and pvp things set up but like, the game servers were max 14 people and the map was fallout map sized, so you would literally never see someone except if you cruised into a world event and even then it wasn't a guarantee

Buddykins
Feb 12, 2011

literally helped establish a global network AI and SOP.system with nanomachines when all he wanted was a solid snake

Buddykins
Feb 12, 2011

never underestimate the power of horny

alarumklok
Jun 30, 2012

aw frig aw dang it posted:

it's so chill & I like seeing how high up I can get the gravity battery towers

I have been playing iron teeth, so I like putting the gravity batteries on the tops silly stacks of the tall houses they get. I imagine big boxes of rocks creaking outside from swaying rope is soothing to them, the little freaks

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Fleetwood posted:

Is Aliens Dark Descent good?

It is but it's worth waiting for a patch

Hubbert
Mar 25, 2007

At a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.

Y/N ?

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

I bought ff16 full price and have no regrets

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

SirSamVimes posted:

I bought ff16 full price and have no regrets

u misspelled 'party members'

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Real hurthling! posted:

u misspelled 'party members'

why would they buy party members at full price?