Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

DrBouvenstein posted:

It's my understanding (I could be wrong) that lead INSIDE the glass, i.e. added to it during the creation, isn't really that terrible unless you keep liquid in it a long time, like a decanter you put some fancy whisky in, or something. The low amount of contact time a beverage would have inside the glass isn't really going to leech lead into it. Like...I guess don't have your main drinking glasses have lead in them, but you want to break out the fancy leaded-crystal wine glasses on NYE? Go for it.

What about mason jars?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dialhforhero
Apr 3, 2008
Am I 🧑‍🏫 out of touch🤔? No🧐, it's the children👶 who are wrong🤷🏼‍♂️
If you intentionally add lead to glass it will be yellow.

(except old crystal)

dialhforhero has a new favorite as of 00:55 on Jun 24, 2023

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

Milo and POTUS posted:

What about mason jars?

Considering where I’ve seen people put those I would imagine lead to be a bad idea

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT

The fact that this movie, which is about a mentally ill guy fighting a slightly more mentally ill guy, was such a merchandising monster says... something about American culture.

disaster pastor
May 1, 2007

Animal-Mother posted:

The fact that this movie, which is about a mentally ill guy fighting a slightly more mentally ill guy, was such a merchandising monster says... something about American culture.

buddy, you should see our elections.

wallaka
Jun 8, 2010

Least it wasn't a fucking red shell

Animal-Mother posted:

Now, now. There was also a mentally ill woman, too.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

With our special guest star, RUSH! YAYYYYYYYYY

McDonald's did eventually go "wait what the gently caress we can't make Happy Meal toys out of this" upon seeing what the actual film was like. Like, according to Tim Burton, someone literally went "What's that black stuff coming out of the Penguin's mouth. We can't sell Happy Meals with that!"

Of course, they still sold all that stuff, they just tried to pretend the toys were general Batman toys promoting the character itself instead of the film (despite the Batmobile clearly being the one from the film). There's a common misconception that they pulled the line early and replaced the toys with Batman: The Animated Series stuff, but apparently they did keep the Returns campaign going from June to September 1992 (September was also when Batman: TAS debuted).

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

It's also so surreal to me that like, Batman Returns, Iron Man 3, and of all things Gremlins are all heavily winter/christmas-themed yet were dropped right in the heat of summer

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret

mind the walrus posted:

It's also so surreal to me that like, Batman Returns, Iron Man 3, and of all things Gremlins are all heavily winter/christmas-themed yet were dropped right in the heat of summer

Also Die Hard.

Killingyouguy!
Sep 8, 2014

mind the walrus posted:

We used to understand that summer is bad and a time for missing the snow

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

Killingyouguy! posted:

now winter seems to also be a time for missing the snow :(

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

Killingyouguy! posted:

adulthood is understanding that winter is also bad

Killingyouguy!
Sep 8, 2014

Ok Comboomer posted:

adulthood is understanding that winter is also bad

gently caress you!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

Killingyouguy! posted:

gently caress you!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

welcome to the only game in town

This Is the Zodiac
Feb 4, 2003

mind the walrus posted:

Obviously this was to capture the Australian market.

This Is the Zodiac
Feb 4, 2003

I think it's Batman Returns, it might be Forever, where there's a scene at the beginning of Batman suiting up and getting into the Batmobile; Alfred asks him "Can I persuade you to take a sandwich with you, Sir?" and Batman replies "I'll get drive-thru", and then that whole scene was aired on TV as a joint movie/McDonald's commercial.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AKWuyuPXvqU

Rap Game Goku
Apr 2, 2008

Word to your moms, I came to drop spirit bombs

This Is the Zodiac posted:

I think it's Batman Returns, it might be Forever, where there's a scene at the beginning of Batman suiting up and getting into the Batmobile; Alfred asks him "Can I persuade you to take a sandwich with you, Sir?" and Batman replies "I'll get drive-thru", and then that whole scene was aired on TV as a joint movie/McDonald's commercial.

It was Forever

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6VZ6S0SDZQM

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

Sir Lemming posted:

IIRC lead was used in all kinds of glass making for reasons that have nothing to do with paint. I've had to throw out a bunch of hand-me-down drinking glasses that had lead in them for no easily discernible reason.

Lead lowers the viscosity of molten glass and makes it easier to work with, and it also changes the refractive index and makes it more brilliant.

DMorbid posted:

McDonald's did eventually go "wait what the gently caress we can't make Happy Meal toys out of this" upon seeing what the actual film was like. Like, according to Tim Burton, someone literally went "What's that black stuff coming out of the Penguin's mouth. We can't sell Happy Meals with that!"

There was a rumor that He-man toys happened because there was going to be a line of Conan toys, to the point of molds being made, and then once the movie came out Mattel said "We can't make these." It's one of those "I know it's not true but wish it was" stories.

Thomamelas
Mar 11, 2009

mind the walrus posted:

For Iron Man 3 at least, it's because almost all of the films Shane Black does as a director or writer are set around Christmas time. He does it to tie into the human bonding element that also tends to be a theme in his movies.

Paper Tiger
Jun 17, 2007

🖨️🐯torn apart by idle hands

Phanatic posted:

There was a rumor that He-man toys happened because there was going to be a line of Conan toys, to the point of molds being made, and then once the movie came out Mattel said "We can't make these." It's one of those "I know it's not true but wish it was" stories.

I also remember hearing something (may have even been posted previously in this thread) about how the reason He-Man rides a tiger is that the only tiger figure that was cheaply available was one big enough for a He-Man toy to ride.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Paper Tiger posted:

I also remember hearing something (may have even been posted previously in this thread) about how the reason He-Man rides a tiger is that the only tiger figure that was cheaply available was one big enough for a He-Man toy to ride.

Roughly. The story is told in the He-Man episode of Netflix's "The Toys That Made Us", and if you have access to that it's worth watching.

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

ultrafilter posted:

Roughly. The story is told in the He-Man episode of Netflix's "The Toys That Made Us", and if you have access to that it's worth watching.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WM9qeu_4Osg

So many good stories in that episode, honestly.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down

NGL, looks good, I'd eat it

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Paper Tiger posted:

They already had the tool (plastic mold) for a tiger for a much larger scale line of toys. So they gave He-Man a giant tiger that he rides.

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

i sometimes throw cables away

i mean straight into the bin without spending 10+ years in the box of might-come-in-handy-someday first

im a fucking monster

Paper Tiger posted:

Action figures are a rabbit hole of re-paints, re-used moulds, head swaps, and re-purposing. Plastic moulds were expensive to make and if you made one for a failed toy line then you could get a substantial part of the money back by reusing if for something else.

There was an Robin Hood Prince of Thieves treehouse set that was a repaint of a decade-old ewok village:

The Friar Tuck figure (in the cage on the right) was also just a Star Wars pig guard with a new head

Sweevo has a new favorite as of 00:42 on Jun 26, 2023

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
I always wanted the clear plastic cubes they showed in commercials that the badguy got thrown through. They never sold those anywhere!

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Holy poo poo same. Especially whenever they had ice characters like mr freeze

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3b1NE19uEfI

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

Milo and POTUS posted:

I always wanted the clear plastic cubes they showed in commercials that the badguy got thrown through. They never sold those anywhere!

Miami Beach is full of those things.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

I thought those were icecubes

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
https://twitter.com/sawdustbear/status/1673019722126839810

Happy Landfill
Feb 26, 2011

I don't understand but I've also heard much worse
:catstare: no

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
SON OF A BITCH

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Motherfuck

Randallteal
May 7, 2006

The tears of time
Can't wait for the 2010s edition with a green screen next to a gamer chair in a studio apartment.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Images you can hear

Montague Tigg
Mar 23, 2008

Previously, on "Ronnie Likes Data":
I tried watching this recently and it really didn't age well

Cartoon Sushi, on the other hand

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.
Yeah, Aron Flux was cool and trippy...and it gave us Beavis and Butthead... And I can't remember anything else from it.