Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What is YISUN?
Mother
A lie we tell ourselves to have a purpose
Bliss
A paradox with no solution
Father
A strong female protagonist
The weakest thing there is and the smallest crawling thing
Creator
Everything in this miserable and hellish existence
A solution with no paradoxes
View Results

FlocksOfMice
Feb 3, 2009
Yeah no this is great. Just taking their "ooh i'm so poisoned by sword lawwww uuuu" and throwing it back with "Eh, sword's just a Thing. Also they're kinda ridiculous lol."

of course, it's really hard to have a character give the Answer to Life in text because that requires you to know the answer to life as the author too

but the answer is "i don't have an answer, i'll come up with answers as i need to nbd" is a pretty good answer tbh

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Entirely expected turn of events with how allison defeated Maya's first big question.

She also has already mastered the art of cutting. With this one phrase she sliced maya into innumerable ribbons.

goddamn lmao that face

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

Hug Six Billion Demons

OPAONI
Jul 23, 2021

Rigged Death Trap posted:

Entirely expected turn of events with how allison defeated Maya's first big question.

She also has already mastered the art of cutting. With this one phrase she sliced maya into innumerable ribbons.

goddamn lmao that face

All of Maya's faces ruled.

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

"COME PLAY MECHS M'LANCER."

Or at least use Retrograde Mini's to make cool mechs and fantasy stuff.

:awesomelon:
Slippery Tilde
Kill Six Billion Philosophical Ramblings

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

A Wizard of Goatse posted:

Allison sort of rambling in response is fine imo but sort of tonally undermined when everyone is doing it, even the otherwise very terse Meti

Meti has never been all that terse, she will often go at length about what an absolute idiot someone is.

SardonicTyrant
Feb 26, 2016

BTICH IM A NEWT
熱くなれ夢みた明日を
必ずいつかつかまえる
走り出せ振り向くことなく
&

Lead out in cuffs posted:

I'm gonna assume someone will want this as an avatar:

The Girl Who Shattered The Wheel

Tendales
Mar 9, 2012

Shadowlyger posted:

Do note that Intra said continuous cutting motion, not continuous cutting.

What isn't recorded in the histories is that Intra was speaking sarcastically and making a jack off motion while saying it.

Joe Slowboat
Nov 9, 2016

Higgledy-Piggledy Whale Statements

SardonicTyrant posted:

The Girl Who Shattered The Wheel

Yessss

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

I really hope Maya ends up becoming a noodle chef despite what she thinks.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Also operant you mildly messed up text alignment in panel 4 of the second page.

rndmnmbr
Jul 3, 2012

2/6,000,000,000.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer
Did Allison smoke before? Because I gotta say, taking it up as a response to knowing you're gonna die in 35 years is a baller move. I'd definitely take knowing my exact death date as an excuse to start some bad habits.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Yeah, we've seen her punctuate things with a cigarette before. I have a vague feeling she maybe picked it up from Cio?

Youremother
Dec 26, 2011

MORT

She picked up the habit before the Yre raid, right here.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

And she was visibly smoking during her stay with Jadis, when Zaid finds her.

maswastaken
Nov 12, 2011

Rigged Death Trap posted:

goddamn lmao that face
Maya could've saved herself from this final annihilation all the way back in her childhood when Meti told her essentially the same thing.

ChaseSP
Mar 25, 2013

Not even saying they're evil or disgusting, just lmao swords are lame why would you obsess over them

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

maswastaken posted:

Maya could've saved herself from this final annihilation all the way back in her childhood when Meti told her essentially the same thing.

No, she couldn’t have as the comic has repeatedly stressed.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Mace logic stays winning

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

We have seen Maya using swords as chef's knife, laundry hook, and barber's shears. Allison is just being descriptive of them being tools from what she's learned from her time with Maya

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

Oh and that last panel, and the earlier info drop about the primes waiting their first reincarnation? It seems like Chekov's angel might be about to go off

Seizon
Oct 10, 2011

maswastaken posted:

Meti was just gatekeeping, she still thought swords were cool as hell. Allison might as well have sliced Maya in half here with her disavowal of sword logic

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

"That's right. We've evolved."

"I can see that. Cool mutations."

M_Gargantua posted:

Would probably look great with the text bubbled removed.

For real.

Maybe I'll have some time tomorrow.

Also appreciating that this is visually right back to David Bowie/Incubus-empowered Allison, but on her own terms now.

YaketySass
Jan 15, 2019

Blind Idiot Dog

Lead out in cuffs posted:

Also appreciating that this is visually right back to David Bowie/Incubus-empowered Allison, but on her own terms now.

Yeah, all this "philosophical considerations are for nerds, all that matters is being the one who takes action instead of the other guy" is a very Incubus sentiment after all.

idonotlikepeas
May 29, 2010

This reasoning is possible for forums user idonotlikepeas!
Yes, but imagine Incubus saying "actually, swords are for losers".

Xand_Man
Mar 2, 2004

If what you say is true
Wutang might be dangerous

Incubus and Maya have always been foils, their character designs pretty clearly contrast and the whole Yis/Un duality is a big theme of the comic. Allison is learning a synthesis from their philosophies: It is important to take action but 'winning' isn't the endgoal; there is no endgoal. You are simply Cutting the world into the shape of your will, continually. It may be through violence, but violence is ultimately one tool out of many.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

idonotlikepeas posted:

Yes, but imagine Incubus saying "actually, swords are for losers".

consider, he melted down when he misplaced his sword

Emrikol
Oct 1, 2015
It's honestly kind of odd that Incubus is useless without a sword. It's not like Meti didn't cover that contingency. Maybe he fell asleep during that lesson.

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

Emrikol posted:

It's honestly kind of odd that Incubus is useless without a sword. It's not like Meti didn't cover that contingency. Maybe he fell asleep during that lesson.

I think against non demiurge level threats he would be more on the ball with unarmed strikes.

dingo with a joint
Jan 12, 2019

wrong cow
Jagganoth is bearer of the word 'Blade', right? I feel like Alison has been investigating what the weaknesses / restrictions / holes are in sword-wank theory from Maya (and therefore Meti) as a potential way around Jagganoth's supremacy. If swords aren't all that, Jagganoth is theoretically less inevitable.

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Bring me the head of Auguste Escoffier.

dingo with a joint posted:

Jagganoth is bearer of the word 'Blade', right? I feel like Alison has been investigating what the weaknesses / restrictions / holes are in sword-wank theory from Maya (and therefore Meti) as a potential way around Jagganoth's supremacy. If swords aren't all that, Jagganoth is theoretically less inevitable.

Jokes gonna be on Alison once she finds out it's not SWORD blade but ROLLER blade.

Radical and extreme hijinks to come.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Emrikol posted:

He was a very poor student, but an excellent object lesson for Maya. Maya would probably Cut with a fingernail if she had to.

dingo with a joint posted:

The Maybe sword can probably cut him clean, remember above all else; He is convinced he is a Dead Thing.

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007

Emrikol posted:

hes a phenomenally poor swordsman. he struck Maya ten times and failed to decapitate her. if anything hes better at blood alchemy, it seems.

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

It isn't that Incubus is useless without a sword, it's that when he panicked, he flailed around for a sword like an idiot.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

pseudorandom name posted:

It isn't that Incubus is useless without a sword, it's that when he panicked, he flailed around for a sword like an idiot.

These are the same thing.

Joe Slowboat
Nov 9, 2016

Higgledy-Piggledy Whale Statements

This comic would suddenly get really mediocre if Incubus were as incompetent as this thread insists he must be.

I’m pretty sure he didn’t mean to kill Maya, given… everything about their relationship. Not to mention he knew she was a washed-up drunk for millennia - if he meant to kill her she’d at least have been dodging his goons.

YaketySass
Jan 15, 2019

Blind Idiot Dog
an extremely average swordsman

Mindblast
Jun 28, 2006

Moving at the speed of death.

I always figured he was good... but not at anything actually meaningful - like making noodles!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

Joe Slowboat posted:

This comic would suddenly get really mediocre if Incubus were as incompetent as this thread insists he must be.

I’m pretty sure he didn’t mean to kill Maya, given… everything about their relationship. Not to mention he knew she was a washed-up drunk for millennia - if he meant to kill her she’d at least have been dodging his goons.

Incubus is a terrifying force to be reckoned with that can probably kill entire armies with a single swing of his sword and even if his key was "given" to him he's more than capable of using it and putting his money where his mouth is.

He's also a complete buffoon who was so enamored with this cool sword he got that he totally ignored everything Meti was actually saying (but so did Maya, until it was too late).

Someone can be extremely skilled and also utterly incompetent at putting that skill to any meaningful use at the same time. What constitutes "meaningful use" is up to interpretation.